2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 13 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing method of football from the 17th minute mark of the last quarter when we got the lead. It wasn't only about North manning up, it was we let them do it easily after we took the lead by looking to save a 4 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the game by playing backwards and slow as snails. I was surprised Hocking didn't just start all 18 behind the centre-bounce after we took lead, he may as well have done so.

Daniela Abbracciavento's account of the game on the club's website washes over the ridiculous way we finished the game. They were saying we were down on rotations and the players were tired but that's bollocks because as soon as we lost the lead with about 5 minutes to go in the game we attacked and ran again. At Prospect we lost two big men in the first 13 minutes of the game but we didn't try saving the game at any stage of that day, we kept attacking all day.

Flynn went off with a supposed ankle injury but Neade went off at three quarter time because he was the Power's emergency :rolleyes:

I can understand some of the slow and cautious movement as North Adelaide were running to catch us off guard all day. What I couldn't accept was that in the last quarter with a lead of less than a goal we weren't trying to get the ball out of defence when we had the chance. Twice the ball was kicked to the club grandstand flank and we had a man on his own with a wide space in front of him. he could have run into it or someone else could have led into it. But both times the player stood back and passed to a free man behind him. This of course led to the inevitable, a need to kick down the line and the loss of possession in goalscoring area. It wouldn't have been perfect, but if these shenanigans had gone on in our forward lines instead of North's it could have been different.

It was explained to me as some kind of excuse that these kids were 18. What I have to say to that is that not all of them are and when does being 18 allow you to be monumentally stupid?

I can understand some of the slow and cautious movement as North Adelaide were running to catch us off guard all day. What I couldn't accept was that in the last quarter with a lead of less than a goal we weren't trying to get the ball out of defence when we had the chance. Twice the ball was kicked to the club grandstand flank and we had a man on his own with a wide space in front of him. he could have run into it or someone else could have led into it. But both times the player stood back and passed to a free man behind him. This of course led to the inevitable, a need to kick down the line and the loss of possession in goalscoring area. It wouldn't have been perfect, but if these shenanigans had gone on in our forward lines instead of North's it could have been different.

It was explained to me as some kind of excuse that these kids were 18. What I have to say to that is that not all of them are and when does being 18 allow you to be monumentally stupid?

yeah the worst one for me was when stewart took a mark on the half back line, johansen had broken and was free on the wing yet stewart didnt even bother looking, even if the ball went out of bounds on the wing it is still a much better result than creating a 50-50 on the half back line after the players were manned up. best thing is they will learn and if the same situation arises in finals im sure they will go about it differently.

I'm glad to see there is a bit of residual anger about the limp way we handed this game to the Roosters. I know we'd probably have turned it over if we'd tried to go forward, the momentum was strongly with North. But just holding onto it at the wrong end of the ground has rankled with me all night.

We're lacking the courage to take the game on when the going gets tough.

Bruggerman again put his hand up and took a number of BIG marks towards the end of the game. Needed more of this in the final 5 mins of the game.

yeah the worst one for me was when stewart took a mark on the half back line, johansen had broken and was free on the wing yet stewart didnt even bother looking, even if the ball went out of bounds on the wing it is still a much better result than creating a 50-50 on the half back line after the players were manned up. best thing is they will learn and if the same situation arises in finals im sure they will go about it differently.

Think that was one of the ones I saw. In answer to your hopes, don't hold your breath. The coach has got to take a lot of responsibility too. I have no doubt Hocking wanted us to protect the lead but with nearly 10 minutes to go? Even Essendon in the days before the time clock and holding onto the ball for long periods after a mark would have found that difficult.

Think that was one of the ones I saw. In answer to your hopes, don't hold your breath. The coach has got to take a lot of responsibility too. I have no doubt Hocking wanted us to protect the lead but with nearly 10 minutes to go? Even Essendon in the days before the time clock and holding onto the ball for long periods after a mark would have found that difficult.

Definitely. It is not the first time Hocking has done this. Centrals were 6 goals down and looked to get a run on kicking 2 in a row, we did the same game saving strategy as we did yesterday and Centrals kicked more goals to close the gap further. It reminded of when teams would kick two in a row againts us under Choco and we'd find ourselves in all kinds of trouble. Now we see Richmond doing it this season. It looks like Hocking's coaching strategies date back a bit, and I don't like it.

With a few minutes left, being two points down and having possession of the footy, but not being able to break free from Norf's tight man to man defence why didn't we try something different? E.g. Rush a behind and huddle for the kickout then have smaller huddles further up the ground with the aim of creating a loose player from each one.

Definitely. It is not the first time Hocking has done this. Centrals were 6 goals down and looked to get a run on kicking 2 in a row, we did the same game saving strategy as we did yesterday and Centrals kicked more goals to close the gap further. It reminded of when teams would kick two in a row againts us under Choco and we'd find ourselves in all kinds of trouble. Now we see Richmond doing it this season. It looks like Hocking's coaching strategies date back a bit, and I don't like it.

My mind raced back to that night against Essendon, I think it was, when the crowd booed because we played what Chocco called 'tempo football'. The difference was that night we were in front and Chocco had the team running the clock down. Yesterday we were behind but kept kicking backward and sideways. Clearly Buddah had no strategy for dealing with the man on man tactic and as others have posted there was no flood, no huddle no attempt to break the man on man stuff. Bad coaching in my book and I wonder if Buddah has any answers to what appears to be justified criticsm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a few minutes left, being two points down and having possession of the footy, but not being able to break free from Norf's tight man to man defence why didn't we try something different? E.g. Rush a behind and huddle for the kickout then have smaller huddles further up the ground with the aim of creating a loose player from each one.
what i found frustrating is they kicked a couple of points late and we still decided to chip short to the pocket. surely the long kick to the ruckman in the middle of the ground was the call for those moments.

Yep all the crowd near us was saying attack, make the play, but we appeared to be "icing the clock" for the last 11 minutes after Newton's goal o_O

Did the players not look at the scoreboard and say "we are BEHIND here, so we have to score".

Seemed like a coaching strategy to practice winding the clock down with no emphasis on winning.

Best platers:

Stewart - in line for promotion
Amon - his best game
Johansen - 17 yo shows the others up :rolleyes:
Neade and Flynn - terrific first halves but faded later

The rest - MEH

Killa's latest tweet:
@dkulikowski11: Quoted @Lewisjohnston8 "I need a generator cos theirs no 'POWER' left in Adelaide" #carrndaCrowwws

#carrndaCrowwws...
Is Killa a Crows supporter? Someone on this board must know more about the lad.

Interesting how people change, I saw the brother of a long time mate of mine in the bar at Alberton on saturday ( their old man played for the Maggies in the early 50's ).

He was one of those people who reckoned the Power destroyed the Maggies and that was why he had a leaning towards the tingles.
Saturday he had enough Port gear on ( Maggies and Power ) to choke an elephant, simply mazing.

how the hell did port do him wrong. not rookie list him? chose summo over him? offer him less the the $400 maximum?

It may be a poor choice of expression on my behalf to blanket all of the former Magpies players that have left but still don't shoot the messenger. Killa is a little different to others. Recently in a game he sat amongst the Power cheer squad supporting Port, and last year he sat next to me supporting Port, but him and others are not viewing the Magpies as the club they once represented. Some of the others never followed Port in the AFL and definitely have a viewpoint on the current Magpies that differs to ours.

Totally agree - non port supporters try and use this crap to try and mask the utter jealousy they have that port entered the afl and their snafl club didn't . Period. Port is port is port - magpie or power nickname , afl , snafl, reserves or not . I don't give a s**t about anything else!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back