2nds Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - Round 7 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Butch fixed his kicking for a while, he was doing the Steve Johnson trick of running around the mark on set shots and it seemed to be working. I don't know why he went back to lining up, he kicked 3 goals today but it could have been anything between 1 and 5.

Didn't get to see the game but for those who did is Harvey/amon a smokey for a debut soon?

Short answer no. There is plenty of promise there with both but a long way to go and many in the queue ahead of them.

No need to push them too soon.

Was in the northern part of the Quinn stand myself second or third to back row aisle seat
wearing a white golfer's hat. After 1/2time went wandering over to Dad's Army shed way.
Special mention to the GDS girls. I make a point of complimenting them for their efforts
and of course the $5 for 3 tkts offer. They put a lot of effort in and seem to enjoy themselves.
Having 2 daughters I know how much it means to them to be acknowledged.
So well done girls

Not many South supporters. Over 3000 in total is disappointing but let's face the truth, the other supporters are not going to travel to watch their side get thumped at Alberton. There is about 4000 Magpies members.

Darcy shone out for me as having a future as a very good midfielder, his vision and use of the ball was A grade and doesn't back away when it's his turn to jump in. Bright future for the lad if he continues from where he's at:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Starting to think Robbie Young will get at least rookie listed by an AFL club in the draft this year. Exciting player, and his performances are consistently good. He was awesome today, and not just with the ball. Tackled and blocked well all day to.

Cheers Ford. I've got high hopes for Clurey aswell.

Kid looks quality.

Tommy is a natural reader of the play, and is a very accurate kick either long or short, if he can build up his upper body ala Jack Hombsch, there is no doubt he has the talent to play at the higher level.
He did lose Eddy once in the 1st qtr, but he may have been a victim of circumstances because he was upfield and another defender ( probably O'Shea who appeared to be playing loose ) was supposed to pick the south player up, but didn't,and Eddy was alone inside the 50 near the Scott building for at least 10 seconds, and that cost a goal.

There was an older bloke ( about 75 ) sitting to our left in the Quinn stand who was getting very annoyed because no Maggie talls were standing on the goal line at the northern end to help sheperd the ball through.
The ball was dropping 3 or 4 metres short to that end, and one goal went begging because a south defender marked it unapposed, and another only made it with centimetres to spare.

They are the one percenters that need to be sorted out because failure to do them can be very costly in tight games.

Agree with Ford re south's Freo style flood, regularly the nearest player to their goal was no more than 10 metres inside the defensive side of the 50 metre square, and while they probably scored 3 or 4 of their goals from fast breaks they were never a winning chance with those tactics.

Killed in the hitouts but won the clearances. Smashed South in inside 50s. Like 1954 I'm not bothered that South scored a few goals from fast breaks as it meant we had control of the ball more. After all, 4 goals from fast breaks is exactly the same score as 4 goals from forward pressure. And when the goals are from forward pressure it can mean you're getting the advantage. A fast break goal is just that, one goal and then you have to start all over again. Surprised at the low number of tackles, 31 to 23. The AFL is higher pressure with less switches of the play but I'm wondering whether how they count tackles is also different.

Flynn was electrifying when he went on his dashes and his accuracy from his Gaelic football background was obvious with his kicks. He'll be a real asset when he can get more of the ball, only having had 8 possessions yesterday.

There was an older bloke ( about 75 ) sitting to our left in the Quinn stand who was getting very annoyed because no Maggie talls were standing on the goal line at the northern end to help sheperd the ball through.
The ball was dropping 3 or 4 metres short to that end, and one goal went begging because a south defender marked it unapposed, and another only made it with centimetres to spare.

They are the one percenters that need to be sorted out because failure to do them can be very costly in tight games.

I was up that end. Couldn't believe the one that just made it as Brooksby was on the line and it's not as if the shot was taken from 10 metres out. There was plenty of time for someone to get on the line but they all just walked around disinterested. Don't know if the thinking could be that if you get on the line you may be providing a back for a defender to climb on whereas if you aren't there then he has to rely on his vertical jump. Seems an unlikely idea, though. There weren't even any South defenders there to pick up crumbs.

Last edited:
Butch fixed his kicking for a while, he was doing the Steve Johnson trick of running around the mark on set shots and it seemed to be working. I don't know why he went back to lining up, he kicked 3 goals today but it could have been anything between 1 and 5.

Unlike his kicking for goal, Butch is usually a very accurate kick to a team mate.

Unlike his kicking for goal, Butch is usually a very accurate kick to a team mate.

Two of the most accurate goalkickers in the AFL, Jay Schulz(74.31 in his last 32 games) and Josh Kennedy(84.35 in his last 29) hold the ball very low and direct it onto their foot as if they were passing. Although I doubt if Josh Kennedy would have time for his Fred Flintstone shuffle in open play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3,121 is a disappointing crowd. I was really hoping 5000 would show up.
I think there are still a lot of die-hard fans that have left and won't come back.....yet. There is a real vibe about the place and Alberton is a great place to be for a SANFL match. We are watching the future of football unfold before our very eyes.

If our style of play holds up in finals every team will be trying to pick it apart. How glad was Summerton to have stayed on and be our captain. Think of Bruggeman and Young as well as our very own Sam Gray. Any SANFL player who is serious about a career in the AFL or just getting the best out of themselves would be thinking that they need to work with Port Adelaide.

Some interesting times ahead and considering what this club has gone through from the day we made the decision to join the AFL, the fall-out, the wait to get in the AFL, getting crap concessions, the Grand Final, The decline of the Magpies, The other Grand final, losing our zones and now our move to the Oval.

This club has rolled through tough times but our history and passionate community and supporters have gotten us over the line. I think that the die-hard Maggie supporter will be back because the only other option in this town is the Cows or nothing.

Ah, cheers mate.
Yeah, thats disappointing.. Dang!
We need to get more people to the local game.

While that's true the same applies to AO.
In my view the corporation/franchise are engaged in an arm wrestle with us.
To re-assert their majority/superiority over us they are turning up en masse.
The noise making, flag waving "their" march etc etc is all and ONLY coz of US.
Their spooked and Sando's crows way of playing is an echo of our Ken.
Its gone from bold n brave to based on defensive pressure(sound familiar:rolleyes:)

I've wandered off thread here but my point is they are watching closely
and crowd #'s at AO or Alberton are not going unnoticed.
Stay loud proud n strong

While that's true the same applies to AO.
In my view the corporation/franchise are engaged in an arm wrestle with us.
To re-assert their majority/superiority over us they are turning up en masse.
The noise making, flag waving "their" march etc etc is all and ONLY coz of US.
Their spooked and Sando's crows way of playing is an echo of our Ken.
Its gone from bold n brave to based on defensive pressure(sound familiar:rolleyes:)

I've wandered off thread here but my point is they are watching closely
and crowd #'s at AO or Alberton are not going unnoticed.
Stay loud proud n strong

Totally agree mate.
We need to show our support for the SANFL team though, otherwise they will pull our model out from under us, especially since we are so strong at the moment..

Amen. I was really hoping for a big turn out.

Check out the attendences at the other SANFL games this weekend:

Glenelg v Centrals 2,449
WWT(eagles) v North Adel 2,366
Port v South 3,121

On those #'s the SANFL is unsustainable and has been for ages. I might be wrong but each time we have won
opposition coaches have said we've learnt a lot from this result.
Ford Fairlane's adage re "one club through its exploits........etc" is soooooooooooo right and yet we're seen as a
threato_O. Can't remember this being said of Centrals during their incredible run.
The LEAST I can do for all that the club has given me is go to AO every game and catch my 2 trains to Alberton
where the family atmosphere translates to me talking to perfect strangers and feeling quite at home.

Check out the attendences at the other SANFL games this weekend:

Glenelg v Centrals 2,449
WWT(eagles) v North Adel 2,366
Port v South 3,121

On those #'s the SANFL is unsustainable and has been for ages. I might be wrong but each time we have won
opposition coaches have said we've learnt a lot from this result.
Ford Fairlane's adage re "one club through its exploits........etc" is soooooooooooo right and yet we're seen as a
threato_O. Can't remember this being said of Centrals during their incredible run.
The LEAST I can do for all that the club has given me is go to AO every game and catch my 2 trains to Alberton
where the family atmosphere translates to me talking to perfect strangers and feeling quite at home.
Spot on. I personally enjoy the games at Alberton more then AO. The atmosphere is great.

Angus Bruggeman applies the little known Three Stooges ruck technique

S714_sanflmatchreport_hero.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back