2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

How injured is Butcher? 13 touches, 7 marks and 3.1 sounds reasonable on paper. How did he play?

Good to see Harvey snag another couple as well.

Absolutely fantastic to see Flynn play a game like that! He might come on even quicker than we expect.

Looks like we have a horde of in form players ready to come into the AFL side if we need then, with Newton, Moore, Stewart, Gray, Clurey, O'Shizzy, Logan and Heath all getting plenty of it. Great news!

After his collision with Harvey, he had a noticeable limp. I'm guessing the only reason he didn't come off are if Amon, Slattery and Haren were already off. Spent the last two thirds of the final quarter literally standing in the goal square. Couldn't run so couldn't lead.

Apart from that it was a decent game. Still wasn't impacting consistently, but his bursts were fairly dominant. His first quarter especially. Also had a hand in a number of goals.

Thank you all for the running commentary for those of us who couldn't be there, especially Honeyboy Wilson , it's one thing to see the scores on a website but it really helps to have the comments posted, it makes it a bit more 'real'.

Thank you all for the running commentary for those of us who couldn't be there, especially Honeyboy Wilson , it's one thing to see the scores on a website but it really helps to have the comments posted, it makes it a bit more 'real'.

i couldn't even find out what happened in the Maggies game via the Port app or website.. we love the reserves as much as the seniors, update the website for the Maggies results too!

Before the start of the year i said to all my mates that my only concern with the magpies is that if we are not badly affected by injuries in the AFL best 22 the we will be too dominant and the SANFL will impose new restrictions.

Nothing since has changed my mind, the Norwood game did shake that belief but since weve illustrated that our concessions may have been quite generous and frustratingly i'm almost certain it will cost us some additional restrictions next year.

I said before the season that for this reason i'd actually honestly just hope we were a top 5 side but not a fav for the flag, just so that no restrictions would be put on at the end of 1 full year, and we'd always be able to argue that even if we were dominant our first year proved it wasnt the concessions but just development.

Henry Slattery (I think it was him) absolutely flattened one of the Sturt players just before the half time siren. I legitimately heard the hit from a good 60 metres away. Looked a fair bump from where I was.

Sorry if its already been posted here.. but does anyone know what the Crowd attendance was today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrived at the ground to hear the final siren of the Academy team game and learn they had earned a fantastic 1 point win. Well done boys.

A good team effort by the Magpies in the main that turned into a brave second half display with no rotations what so ever (Haren, Slattery & Amon). Butch got a big corky in the last and could hardly move but had to stay on. All our players were struggling but still kept running to provide linking options to help their teammates out. I was very proud of all of them today.

Just a few notes, my best players to start off with:

The Captain, is just a brilliant, worthy captain. If possible, his game has grown this year. 28 mostly effective disposals, 8 inside 50s, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, 2 goals and gut running to provide an option all day. Take a bow Summo.

Anthony Biemans is the ultimate team man but he was more than that today. Biemo was second best on ground, imho. 27 disposals and 3 goals. Kept running and giving his all for the entire 120+ minutes.

Paul Stewart played a fine game, his best in the black and white colours. 20+ disposals, 8 inside 50s and kicked 2 goals but easily could have had 4. All of this was mainly forward of center. So versatile after not putting a foot wrong in defence last week in the AFL.

Scooter Newton and Moore tie for 4th best. Both are obviously good enough to play AFL regularly. Had 7 and 6 centre clearances respectively. Weren't perfect with their disposal but were in the thick of it all day.

Fifth best could be shared amongst just about the rest of the team. Take your pick from Gray, Clurey, OShea, Byrne-Jones, Krakouer,Flynn and Heath.

Flynn is a real excitement machine and the crowd loves him. For a second game player his potential knows no bounds. He is just so exuberant and enthusiastic. If you're not a member he's worth the price of admission on his own. I'm so looking forward to watch his development throughout this year and beyond.

Byrne-Jones makes some mistakes but is a wonderful competitive beast.

Jakey - 3 good, consistent games in a row.

Achee played his best game since the Glenelg game last year. Took some nice marks, kicked well, and spoiled well defensively in the last quarter (saving some goals) when we could hardly run.

Last mention for John Butcher who I thought played a good game. Played much further up the ground at times to provide an option. Kicked 3 goals which should have been 4 if he didn't kick into the man on the mark on one occasion (NB: Sturt players ran over the mark at just about every opportunity, throughout the game). Received a bad corky early in the last quarter and could hardly move but stayed on and kept his opponent busy. Butch is third in the SANFL goal kicking list with 15 goals.

Last edited:
On the website it said 2600.
I blame that figure on mothers day.

With the Power having the bye next week I am really hoping we can get 5000+ to the Maggies game next week vs South.

1st vs 2nd again.

Before the start of the year i said to all my mates that my only concern with the magpies is that if we are not badly affected by injuries in the AFL best 22 the we will be too dominant and the SANFL will impose new restrictions.

Nothing since has changed my mind, the Norwood game did shake that belief but since weve illustrated that our concessions may have been quite generous and frustratingly i'm almost certain it will cost us some additional restrictions next year.

I said before the season that for this reason i'd actually honestly just hope we were a top 5 side but not a fav for the flag, just so that no restrictions would be put on at the end of 1 full year, and we'd always be able to argue that even if we were dominant our first year proved it wasnt the concessions but just development.

After the Glenelg game Hocking would have read the riot act to the players. Since then they've tried to minimise the damage. Do you think the $ANFL will notice weekly 50 point wins that could easily have been 100 but for mysterious lapses?

5RPH commentators are going on about how dominate we are and that's it not a good thing. One of them said that they have to look at things after 10 or 11 rounds.

Kris Kendall(??) the ex ABC boundary rider says SANFL is different this year - as big a change as between 1990 and 1991 seasons.

If SANFL is the 2nd best comp how come teams are being dominated? Port Melbourne in the VFL are undefeated after 5 games and 170% and have no AFL alignment.

Learned helplessness. They have generations of Port Adelaide dominance embedded in their psyches. I think we've altered them at the genetic level.

Not even Seligman's conversion to positivity can save them.

Arrived at the ground to hear the final siren of the Academy team game and learn they had earned a fantastic 1 point win. Well done boys.

A good team effort by the Magpies in the main that turned into a brave second half display with no rotations what so ever (Haren, Slattery & Amon). Butch got a big corky in the last and could hardly move but had to stay on. All our players were struggling but still kept running to provide linking options to help their teammates out. I was very proud of all of them today.

Just a few notes, my best players to start off with:

The Captain, is just a brilliant, worthy captain. If possible, his game has grown this year. 28 mostly effective disposals, 8 inside 50s, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, 2 goals and gut running to provide an option all day. Take a bow Summo.

Anthony Biemans is the ultimate team man but he was more than that today. Biemo was second best on ground, imho. 27 disposals and 3 goals. Kept running and giving his all for the entire 120+ minutes.

Paul Stewart played a fine game, his best in the black and white colours. 20+ disposals, 8 inside 50s and kicked 2 goals but easily could have had 4. All of this was mainly forward of center. So versatile after not putting a foot wrong in defence last week in the AFL.

Scooter Newton and Moore tie for 4th best. Both are obviously good enough to play AFL regularly. Had 7 and 6 centre clearances respectively. Weren't perfect with their disposal but were in the thick of it all day.

Fifth best could be shared amongst just about the rest of the team. Take your pick from Gray, Clurey, OShea, Byrne-Jones, Flynn and Heath.

Flynn is a real excitement machine and the crowd loves him. For a second game player his potential knows no bounds. He is just so exuberant and enthusiastic. If you're not a member he's worth the price of admission on his own. I'm so looking forward to watch his development throughout this year and beyond.

Byrne-Jones makes some mistakes but is a wonderful competitive beast.

Jakey - 3 good, consistent games in a row.

Achee played his best game since the Glenelg game last year. Took some nice marks, kicked well, and spoiled well defensively in the last quarter (saving some goals) when we could hardly run.

Last mention for John Butcher who I thought played a good game. Played much further up the ground at times to provide an option. Kicked 3 goals which should have been 4 if he didn't kick into the man on the mark on one occasion (NB: Sturt players ran over the mark at just about every opportunity, throughout the game). Received a bad corky early in the last quarter and could hardly move but stayed on and kept his opponent busy. Butch is third in the SANFL goal kicking list with 15 goals.

Some pleasing observations there, along with some of the comments on Flynn earlier in this thread.

Big fan of DBJ, he could be a real defensive lynchpin in the future.

Henry Slattery (I think it was him) absolutely flattened one of the Sturt players just before the half time siren. I legitimately heard the hit from a good 60 metres away. Looked a fair bump from where I was.

Glad to hear it. I didn't see it but as our players came off a dozen or so of their supporters
made for the fence for some up close personal advice barrage to our boys.
Their loud n angry boos were picked up by a quick Port fan who cleverly cheered loudly in response.
Immediately we drowned em out and cheered our team down the race
loud n proud

Had a really fun day today. Was good to see the ressies hold on in the last few minutes and the league side just continued on their merry way. I love beating Sturt and the tears from their supporters was delicious. Had one muppet ark up in the last quarter and make a complete fool of himself. Got owned by about 5 different people much to the cheers of the Williams stand. He even brought up the tarps to the lulz of the crowd.

Sturt had a very good period at the start of the 2nd quarter where they kicked 4 out of 5 goals and got themselves back into the match, but outside of that Port dominated control and pace of the game again. The half back line was near impenetrable and the midfield just bossed their opponents for much of the day. We didnt have a bench for the last quarter and still outscored them up until the last minute or so of the quarter.

Slatterys bump on Bartlett I think it was was huge. Biggest hit ive seen live since probably Tom Carr on Nathan Irvin in the 98 GF. Was a bit of a head clash and we could hear the smack 70 metres away. Just absolutely floored him and knocked him out cold. Wouldnt surprise if he gets suspended as it was a bit late as well.

Also had a giggle at the performance of Michael Coad. Kicked a goal earlyish in the first and made a beeline straight for Nathan Krakouer and threw a few jumper punches at him. He then spent the next 20 minutes trying to knock Krakouer out. Tried to knock him out in a marking contest and missed, Krak taking the mark and setting up a goal. Krak ended up probably top 3-4 on the ground and Coad didnt get another kick for about 2 quarters. Your a joke of a footballer Michael Coad....and to think hes captain!!

Player Reviews:
Summerton - Just another stunnign display from the little master. Just doesnt ever play a bad game. I had him 2nd best but you could easily see him picking up 5 x 3 voters in a row on Magarey night. Runs into the right spots and delivers perfect passes. Kicked 2 very good goals and would have had a part in another 5 or 6. Great effort once again.

Heath - Played on both Fraser Evans and Levi Krause and thought he did a great job on both. Krause got away from him during the third quarter but outside of that, Heath read the play well, used the ball well and put his body on the line. Love him as a player.

Bruggemann - A step back from the last few weeks. Was undersized in the ruck and just couldnt get his hands on the ball around the ground. Gave away some silly free kicks and dropped a couple of marks he had his hands on.

Haren - Had a very good start but got injured in the first half and wasnt seen after half time.

Butcher - Unlike the last few weeks, Butch had a fantastic start to the game. Had 6 or 7 touches and a couple of goals to 1/4 time and it looked like he was in for a big one. But after that he just couldnt get near it for the rest of the game. Watching him up close behind the goals in the second quarter and he just had to lead harder and earlier than he was. Seemed to get injured in a collision with Harvey and didnt look like he was able to run in the last quarter but still managed another goal and looked dangerous up there. Would have loved a 4 quarter effort but 3 goals and 7 marks in the end wasnt too bad.

O'Shea - Really took Coad to the cleaners. A couple of poor kicks but his ability to read the play, cut off opposition attacks and bolt off in defence is a real key to the side, as we know from his AFL form from last year. Only a matter of time before hes back in the AFL side. One of the best.

Stewart - Another who is just in brilliant form at the moment and has raised his game another level under oneclub. Played the lead up half forward role exceptionally well and spending plenty of time on a wing as well. Very very good game.

Krakouer - Thought he had a ripper game under pressure from opposition off the ball and just put his body on the line all day. Hits the contest hard and at pace and uses it well under pressure.

Clurey - Did a great job on Duldig giving away about 75kg on the fridge. Duldig got a couple of kicks late but outside of that, Clurey kept him pretty well possession-less for most of the game and ran off him constantly. Great effort.

Slattery - Didnt really see him come back on after that massive bump. Was playing pretty well before that.

Moore - Really really enjoyed his game. He was my best on at half time and whilst he was a bit sloppy after that, it was still a very good performance. Must be close to a call up now. Got the ball at will in the midfield and worked tirelessly all over the ground, bobbing up both up forward and down back regularly. Looks very very fit and ready to go.

Biemans - Gun. My best on ground today. Played further up the ground than he has been and seemed to relish a run through the midfield and on a forward flank more. Goes in hard, uses the ball well and kicked 3 very good goals. Took a number of bloody good contested marks for his size too. Onya Beamer!

Harvey - I know I say it a lot but he really is a lovely kick of the footy. Couple of long goals before having to ruck for a fair period of the game. Just needs to keep competitive for longer periods of the game upf orward.

Neade - One of his best games for the year...which ive said about 3 times now so hes clearly come into a good run of form. Was lightning early with his evasiveness and candy selling.

Byrne-Jones - I like him, but i've got a few criticisms of him after todays game. Must go in hard all the time. Must not assume he will simply get the ball because he is not under pressure. Just seems to slack off a bit sometimes if he feels hes got a bit of time to pick up a ground ball. I reckon he went in 50% 4 or 5 times today in that situation and muffed picking the ball up each time and ended up turning it over. I like what happens when he knows hes under pressure and he seems to be a good decision maker under pressure, but hes just got to keep his head in the game for longer. I know hes young and it will come, but its a trait I want to see developed in him quickly.

Newton - What can you say about Benny. He just does as he pleases through the midfield. Kicking was excellent, ability to get the ball at stoppages was excellent. Just didnt hit the scoreboard today.

AhChee - One of the better games ive seen him play. Took some strong grabs and kicked a nice goal. Some good evasive work through the middle of the ground.

Amon - Just couldnt get into the game at all. Had a few kicks early, but then struggled and was in his civvies by 3/4 time.

Logan - Gun SANFL player. In fine form right now and probably deserves an AFL game on merit but there just isnt a spot for him. Keep doing what you do Tommy, we all love it.

Flynn - What to say about Flynnys game. In the three games we've seen him in to date hes shown one or two moments that make you go "wow" but then has gone missing for 20 minutes. Today, he had one or two moments that made you go "wow", then 2 minutes later did another thing, then 2 minutes later did another great thing. It was by far his best performance and his potential was on display for everyone to see. There was one particular piece of play in the third quarter where under pressure he let fly with a 50m kick off 2 steps to a running Biemans 50m down the field who didnt have to break stride. Left me with an immediate immediate. His runs are break taking. His skills are better than most draftees that come into the system. And you got a sense today that the whole 2nd nature side of playing Aussie Rules was starting to click. Was running to the right spots, putting blocks on when he needed to and choosing the right option with the ball. Just needs to learn how to tackle. Could be frighteningly good.

S Gray - Thought he was well down on his best but still had plenty of the ball going by the stat sheet. Kicked a nice goal but seemed to be playing more of a secondary role today.

BEST: Biemans, Moore, Clurey, Krakouer, Summerton, Stewart, Newton, O'Shea, Flynn

I know injuries to the AFL guys help but we have played 6 SANFL contracted players for all games except the crows when we used 8. Its great to see may of them competing and holding their own week in week out. Great to hear Biemans name so many times on the radio especially in the last quarter. I have gone to games and missed some of his good work as a couple times I got him confused with other players.

Just on Summerton, his height meant he has struggled to get a look in at the draft, but my nephew went to high school with him and reckons that he has a severe pigeon toe feet which hampered his development as a kid, especially running. But bloody hell you couldn't tell the way he has played the last 3 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back