2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Also worth noting I saw Ollie Wines sitting at the top of Power HQ and from 100m away his arm brace sticks out like a sore thumb.

When I was leaving I almost got run over by Hartlett.
I took a step back and Pittard with some goofy glasses drove past and for some reason Kane Mitchell has his own chauffeur. :D

When I was leaving I almost got run over by Hartlett.

Lol, I nearly got hit by Kane Mitchell at Alberton once. Someone must have shown him some of my 2014 Bigfooty posts :p

How did Harvey go? Stats look o.k. Did he impact on the game?
RossFC and El_Scorcho's posts just above jointly cover what I saw. Due to work this morning I got there at half-time but Harvey was handy.
This was my first Maggies' game this year and I felt what I wasn't seeing with Harvey is a step-up from last year. He's a big kid who marks well and is an accurate distance shot, but his numbers aren't huge. And he physically doesn't look he's been in the system for a couple of years.

Byrne-Jones was outstanding. Pittard 2.0 is correct Blaggut
Impey will play AFL next week. Our best player.
Neade and Sammy Gray were lively as well.

Hoon is far from ready, He can rack up touches but his disposal of the ball was horrible. Completely different player to 2 years ago.
I understand that Redden just came back from an injury but he needs some footy smarts, Also Shaw should never play in the backlines he was lost back there.

Clurey could be our next tagger next year, shut down Kirkwood for about 2-3 quarters but then Kirkwood played well in the 4th.
Logan Austin and Sid Masters impressed me as backmen.

Butcher took some great marks but shanked a shot (about 35m out on the boundary line) out of bounds.

Yoey Wagner kicked the winner from about 50m out on a 45 degree angle.

Great evaluation. The more I see Clurey the more I think hes the next tagging/big body mid!
Impey is too good for the SANFL

Was solid in the ruck and kicked a really good goal on the run from about 45m out in the 3rd quarter. When Redden gets back to full fitness, Harvey will probs get more time up forward.

Hope so
coz
whoever it is
a full forward b handy

Butch down back is more than interesting
Tall, fast, good mark, hungry n honed for the contest,
his field kicking more than passable

Palmer,Austin n Howard
diamonds in the rough
we create our own
through and because
of who we are

DBJ we are listening n watching
Tommy Logan we luv ya
a beautiful fortnight
well done mate

We don't live in a vacuum boyz
and all of us know it
people notice

Its why we perform
You can't do anything without imagination

Slightly better than last week. Probably due to Beimans and Wagner being able to play their part, especially Beimans. Palmer is looking ok for a kid coming from u18s, Austin too. There is no question about but we do need half decent top-ups to be regular winners. Just glad we got over it. We were lacking fast spread sometimes, looked lethargic, which seems to be the case with the afl side too. I hear that we are training very hard.

I'm hoping somebody can explain why Sturt was able to kick their first three goals by lobbing the ball long into an empty 50m? What is it about our game plan that has exposed our defensive 50m leaving not one player an what is it about the opposition that knows how to expose it??

Slightly better than last week.

I'm hoping somebody can explain why Sturt was able to kick their first three goals by lobbing the ball long into an empty 50m? What is it about our game plan that has exposed our defensive 50m leaving not one player an what is it about the opposition that knows how to expose it??
We seem to not bother with a loose defender a lot of the time. It killed us against WWT. We switched one back late against Sturt but we weren't playing one all the time.

Strange in modern footy

We seem to not bother with a loose defender a lot of the time. It killed us against WWT. We switched one back late against Sturt but we weren't playing one all the time.

Strange in modern footy

I see. It happened often under Primus and it has happened a small number of times with Hinkley and with Hocking last season there were few occasions but in one quarter for 3 goals in a row I just couldn't stomach it. When Logan dropped back we were in better hands. I still feel we look better when Clurey plays down back too. Is it also to do with the defensive pushing too far up the ground?

Strange in modern footy

yep wondered about it myself
where's our loose man I yelled
no-one answered

still
25 shots to 12
what do I know

Great evaluation. The more I see Clurey the more I think hes the next tagging/big body mid!
Impey is too good for the SANFL

That's the way it should be for most of our recruits, they should be too good for the sanfl. I think Impey can be better than that too for the sanfl but pretty good for his comeback game.

Summo is so smart on the field. Him and Gray were good on the ball. Good to see Gray getting better. I worry about Shaw. I'd love to see Amon find form. We do have talent in this team, we just need some more run somehow.

I remember watching Pavlich when he was 17/18 years old after he got looked over in the draft and thinking yeah he's over-rated looks like a big heavy log with not much spring in his movements and carrying that teenager baby fat for a big bloke but kicks a thumping straight kick. In some ways I think similar of Harvey but Harvey works harder. I'm happy to wait a couple of years more for Harvey to mature. I think he'll come good eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no-one answered

still
25 shots to 12
what do I know

Actually we could have done with putting a little more pressure on their forward attacks to force some misses but still pleasing to double the scoring shots and not had played so well, and won.

The two most critical things from this game was our poor goal kicking and too many times in this game we didn't spread quick enough and this forced us into pressure handballs. We need more run in our legs.

Last edited:
That's the way it should be for most of our recruits, they should be too good for the sanfl. I think Impey can be better than that too for the sanfl but pretty good for his comeback game.

Summo is so smart on the field. Him and Gray were good on the ball. Good to see Gray getting better. I worry about Shaw. I'd love to see Amon find form. We do have talent in this team, we just need some more run somehow.

I remember watching Pavlich when he was 17/18 years old after he got looked over in the draft and thinking yeah he's over-rated looks like a big heavy log with not much spring in his movements and carrying that teenager baby fat for a big bloke but kicks a thumping straight kick. In some ways I think similar of Harvey but Harvey works harder. I'm happy to wait a couple of years more for Harvey to mature. I think he'll come good eventually.

I've been in Mitch's corner from the start but find myself wanting more.
If he could read a kick to him quicker off the boot and not get muscled out n under too early in a contest
patience patience yeah yeah I know.
Young,good size n a beautiful kick :)

Good, solid win. Kicking at goal let us down, and made the game seem closer than it really was. That said, bad kicking is bad football, so that's certainly something to work on.

Redden and Harvey were very well matched - probably beaten - in the ruck by Kurtze. However, Sturt were getting first touch far more often, and they were dominant in the clearances for much of the day.

Redden didn't offer a whole lot up forward or around the ground; would love to see him start clunking some big marks. Not a great day for the big man.

Harvey kicked a couple of goals up forward, which was pleasing. Linked up in handball chains a few times further up the ground as well. An encouraging game from a developing KPF.

Mason Shaw played as a KPD on Bruggemann for the majority of the game, which turned out to be a pretty handy move. Mason didn't get too many touches, but took a few intercept grabs, and held Bruggs to 8 disposals and 0 goals for the day. Unsure of Shaw's prospects as a KPD in the AFL, but he looked good back there today.

Butcher competed well all day. Kicking wise, it was a bit of a mixed bag. One tough (but gettable) set shot out on the full, another from about 50 that looked beautiful off the boot, but went too high and ended up falling short. Took some lovely contested marks, mostly in the second half. Often read the ball well from the rucks, and handed a couple off (laying solid blocks), which resulted in scoring shots. Needs to lead harder up the wing to provide an option, although in saying this, mids quite often run into the space that should be left for a KPF to lead into. A decent day for Butch, would like him to start hitting the scoreboard harder.

Hopefully will have a chance to write something about the rest of our players.
Good, solid win. Kicking at goal let us down, and made the game seem closer than it really was. That said, bad kicking is bad football, so that's certainly something to work on.

Redden and Harvey were very well matched - probably beaten - in the ruck by Kurtze. However, Sturt were getting first touch far more often, and they were dominant in the clearances for much of the day.

Redden didn't offer a whole lot up forward or around the ground; would love to see him start clunking some big marks. Not a great day for the big man.

Harvey kicked a couple of goals up forward, which was pleasing. Linked up in handball chains a few times further up the ground as well. An encouraging game from a developing KPF.

Mason Shaw played as a KPD on Bruggemann for the majority of the game, which turned out to be a pretty handy move. Mason didn't get too many touches, but took a few intercept grabs, and held Bruggs to 8 disposals and 0 goals for the day. Unsure of Shaw's prospects as a KPD in the AFL, but he looked good back there today.

Butcher competed well all day. Kicking wise, it was a bit of a mixed bag. One tough (but gettable) set shot out on the full, another from about 50 that looked beautiful off the boot, but went too high and ended up falling short. Took some lovely contested marks, mostly in the second half. Often read the ball well from the rucks, and handed a couple off (laying solid blocks), which resulted in scoring shots. Needs to lead harder up the wing to provide an option, although in saying this, mids quite often run into the space that should be left for a KPF to lead into. A decent day for Butch, would like him to start hitting the scoreboard harder.

Logan Austin had his first sub-standard game for the Magpies. Had some good intercept spoils, but had 3 goals kicked on him (by Beard, who didn't really have a match-up down back, so Sturt threw forward). Wasn't able to find much of the ball throughout the day, and with Sturt only kicking a solitary behind all game, he was relieved of the kick-out duties. Didn't do a whole lot wrong, but didn't have the same impact that has come to be expected of him.

Masters had a reasonable game, if I knew the names of more than a few Sturt players I might remember who he played on... Some handy spoils throughout the game, and held his own.

Biemans had a fairly quiet day for his usual standard, kicked a goal and missed a couple that on another day he probably would've kicked. Brings a strong physical presence to the team, should keep his place in the side, but with Moore back next week (?) he may be unlucky.

Tom Clurey had the run-with job on Kirkwood and was very good for three quarters. IIRC, Kirkwood only had 4 or so touches to half time, then improved slightly in the third and had a strong final term. Clurey's tackling was particularly good, and he finished with 7 - our most for the day. Didn't get a whole lot of the ball himself (which is something to work on, if we are to persist with him as a tagger), but used it well.

Wagner was decent, without starring. Kicked the (excellent) sealing goal from about 50 out on a reasonable angle. Had another shot from a similar spot earlier which missed, must have kicked it about 65 metres though. Presented pretty well, and his work rate was encouraging. Big improvement from his last two games (although he may have been suffering from the virus that kept him out of the team last week). A good base to build from now.

Liked Jesse Palmer's game. Strong leads to the right spots, and had I believe 3 set shots today. Has a good approach and a lovely ball drop, accuracy on goal seems good compared to his TAC Cup. Work-rate is pretty good, but can drop out of the game for short periods. Developing well.

Muffins Colquhoun worked very hard - as always - and found plenty of the ball. Kicking still an issue, at this stage, I'm happy to assume that this is due to a year out of football, and that it'll improve as the season progresses. Decent game, not great.

Sharrad covered the ground well today. Plays a nice mix of in-and-under, and link up running player. Ball-use lacks polish at times. Can never question his attack on the ball, but would've liked to see him impose himself around the stoppages a bit more today. Nonetheless, a solid day for Louis.

Another good game from Tom Logan. Kicking in the SANFL is exponentially better than his kicking (was) in the AFL. Excellent intercept-marking/spoiling game, as is the norm for him. Could probably be getting a game at a couple of AFL clubs. Says something of his character that he wanted to stay at Port Adelaide and mentor the young guys. Bleeds black and white, does Tommy.

Sam Russell had another solid day defensively, if anything he was a little less noticeable than in recent games. Saw him running with a few different Sturt players throughout the day, but rarely saw him beaten in a one-on-one. Continuing to develop nicely. Have said it before, but the next step for him is to build his rebounding game.

Liked Byrne-Jones' game today, I thought his kicking was noticeably better than recent weeks. Did look Jasper-like at mutliple times, as others have already mentioned. Still tends to find himself trailing his player by a few metres off the mark, but does have good closing speed. The basis of a good player is there, but I still question whether that'll be possible in the Power lineup (note that I'm certainly not writing him off).

Paul Stewart was reasonable, without finding a heap of the footy. I actually thought it was a fairly unremarkable game from him and depending on he matched up against, he may well have been beaten. I'm sure others can shed more light on his performance.

Lively game from 'steak knives' Neade. Found the goals this week, but accuracy a problem as it was last week. Evasive stuff in close is a pleasure to watch. Quarter-to-quarter consistency still an issue, needs to stay in the game for longer. All things considered, I thought he was one of our best players today.

Summerton can probably be thrown in the same basket as Stewart, for mine. Although, he did cover the ground better than I thought Stewie did. Kicking was accurate today, which is something that leaves his game from time to time. Doesn't seem to be gathering as many disposals as last season, hopefully works is way into that dominant role that he had last year, as the season goes on.

Amon had a pretty quiet first half (5 touches to half time IIRC), before having a very good second half. A couple of very nice defensive efforts (including a goal saving mark in the last quarter). Ran hard all day, and should've kicked a goal. To see that he had 5 clearances was a pleasant surprise. If he can develop his stoppage game, à la Polec, he'll be an even more exciting AFL prospect. Good game from Karlos today.

Thought Sam Gray was our best mid for the day. Has been our main clearance winner so far this year with no Moore/Ah Chee/Young, and continued that trend today. Worked hard up and down the ground, finished with the most R50s and equal most I50s of our players today. It's clearly a different level, but his ability to dodge his way out of packs and get a clean clearance is very similar to the other Gray on our list. Has been excellent this year, and although I don't think he'll find a spot in the AFL side, it's great to see him playing well.

Had membership guru Jarman Impey as BOG today. His pace is just something else. I recall him starting about 25 metres away (as the ball was kicked) from a marking contest, actually making the ground too quickly, and not leaving himself enough room to jump and spoil the ball. His intercept spoiling over the course of the game was my highlight of the day, and he managed to take a couple of nice marks coming across in front of the pack too. Disposal efficiency seemed more than adequate from my vantage point. Should find himself back in the As pretty quickly, if he keeps this kind of form.

A side-note, our kicking inside fifty was much better this week (in-terms of pure numbers, as well as actually finding a target). Kind of amazing to see that Sturt only had 20 tackles for the day.

Well done to the Maggies, ( thank the big bloke upstairs for that :rolleyes: ) 11 f****** 1 to the Unley marching girls is ridiculous.

From memory the blue baggers beat us at Alberton 7 or 8 years ago when they kicked something like 20 g 3 b to 18 g 14 b. :mad:

If you make that about eleven years ago I was there, I think. Might have been my last trip to see a Magpies game actually- pretty sure 2004 was the last time I was there and I remember it was Sturt and they kicked goals out of their arse to beat us.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thead to educate those of us who can't be there.

It's amazing how life has taken 'going to the football' away from me. I didn't think anything of it at the time but now it's not an option, I really miss it.

Byrne-Jones was outstanding. Pittard 2.0 is correct Blaggut

Also Shaw should never play in the backlines he was lost back there.

I've never seen Shaw play but from everything I've read he needs to improve his all round game and playing in defence will do just that.

This is where having our own reserves side will help us long term as we wouldn't be able to ask SANFL sides to do something like this to develop our players.

It looks like Summerton's role has been different this year. Seems to not be played as much on the ball. Usually if he's not in the game he uses his time on the ball to work back in the game. His best football is on the ball.

I've never seen Shaw play but from everything I've read he needs to improve his all round game and playing in defence will do just that.

This is where having our own reserves side will help us long term as we wouldn't be able to ask SANFL sides to do something like this to develop our players.

I think it is match ups. We have an imbalance of tall players, more forwards than defenders. Back or forward, in Shaw's case he has a similar demeanour as D Stewart.

Tom Clurey as a tall run-with option is tantalising. Seeing as we like to bring the ball back into the corridor when playing our brave footy, having a 193cm target lurking around the midfield would be handy.

Sam Russell as a tough negating back pocket would allow Jarman Impey to play an even more attacking role which which he would excel at. But how to fit them all into our young backline?

no-one answered

still
25 shots to 12
what do I know
It's a fair point. Hard to have to readjust your strategy to defensive simply because your team cannot find the goals. You'd have to think that eventually they would, and in fact they did. Harvey and Wagner gave us the critical accurate long distance goals that Sturt had been getting. Umpies couldn't take them off us!

Tom Clurey as a tall run-with option is tantalising. Seeing as we like the bring the ball back into the coridor when playing our brave footy, having a 193cm target lurking around the midfield would be handy.

Sam Russell as a tough negating back pocket would allow Jarman Impey to play an even more attacking role which which he would excel at. But how to fit them all into our young backline?
clurey has done the midfield tagging role twice in the last three weeks, first time against panos and yesterday against kirkwood, probably the two hardest matchups in sanfl footy, also two opposite styles of midfielder, panos the bigger bodied hard contested clearance winner, kirkwood runs all day and is damaging on the outside while gets plenty of clearances himself, clurey did well on both.

There seems to be a general awareness around the place of how the umpires manage to balance the free-kick ledger. We get a raw deal early in the game.
Really? I thought they were s**t all day. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back