2nds Port Adelaide vs WWT Eagles - Round 5 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

An amateur team made us look like timid school boys. I don't care if our main side is playing in the big league, I don't like teams ay Alberton being embarrassed with that kind of performance.

What the hell is the Academy side about? Academy is not an appropriate name really. We can't benefit from it under the rules.

We are a good afl side yet we are on tender hooks when it comes to having a couple of players missing from the midfield. It weakens the sanfl side quite a bit, and inturn it makes a shemozzle out of the Academy side. Imagine when we are just a mediocre afl side. Last year was the closest we will ever come to winning an sanfl flag in my opinion.

An amateur team made us look like timid school boys. I don't care if our main side is playing in the big league, I don't like teams ay Alberton being embarrassed with that kind of performance.

What the hell is the Academy side about? Academy is not an appropriate name really. We can't benefit from it under the rules.

We are a good afl side yet we are on tender hooks when it comes to having a couple of players missing from the midfield. It weakens the sanfl side quite a bit, and inturn it makes a shemozzle out of the Academy side. Imagine when we are just a mediocre afl side. Last year was the closest we will ever come to winning an sanfl flag in my opinion.

I suspect that is the SANFL commissions plan ... They don't want us to have a Strong SANFL side so we are more handicapped than Phar Lap was (with the rules they have put on us).

and like Phar Lap we will just have to find a way to over come these handicaps

Agreed, I also fear the bird may have flown re a Maggie's flag, the snafl sanctions have bitten deep already, there are too many immature bodies in the line up and the physical stuff played by some of the harder teams is finding us out.

I suspect that is the SANFL commissions plan ... They don't want us to have a Strong SANFL side so we are more handicapped than Phar Lap was (with the rules they have put on us).

and like Phar Lap we will just have to find a way to over come these handicaps

I don't think we can without breaking those rules. I still remember that night KT made everybody believe we had come out as winners in the negotiations of our sanfl participation but Timmy G certainly told me there was nothing won for the club's future success.

I'm not really fussed if we win park football flags or not. I'd happily see us lose every SANFL game and finish dead last if the AFL side is performing.

Neade was clean and played really well. He looked like he was playing with a different footy from everyone else. Smooth in a very scrappy contest. Probably our BOG.

The Redden2Arch connection was Primus2Francouesque in the first half but disappeared in the 2nd. Redden started losing the tap and offered zilch around the ground.

Stone Cold Logan Austin looks like a player. Good size, reads the play well, moves well, makes good decisions. Exciting!

Butcher was good, despite about 5 clean forward entries all day, a couple of them generated by his own lead up work. He didn't get the cheap kicks and marks that Shaw and Harvey got when they were rotated to defence, so to take 6 marks was a good effort given the quality of the ball coming into the 50.

Can't wait to see Harvey play more consistently up forward. Showed some signs. Shaw took a couple of good contested interception marks.

Tom Logan was Tom Logan. Cannonball attack on the footy, good decision maker.

O'Sheezy showed zero. Stewy got a lot of it across half back but couldn't turn the game in our favour.

The Burley football is inferior to the Sherrin.

I'm not really fussed if we win park football flags or not. I'd happily see us lose every SANFL game and finish dead last if the AFL side is performing.

Neade was clean and played really well. He looked like he was playing with a different footy from everyone else. Smooth in a very scrappy contest. Probably our BOG.

The Redden2Arch connection was Primus2Francouesque in the first half but disappeared in the 2nd. Redden started losing the tap and offered zilch around the ground.

Stone Cold Logan Austin looks like a player. Good size, reads the play well, moves well, makes good decisions. Exciting!

Butcher was good, despite about 5 clean forward entries all day, a couple of them generated by his own lead up work. He didn't get the cheap kicks and marks that Shaw and Harvey got when they were rotated to defence, so to take 6 marks was a good effort given the quality of the ball coming into the 50.

Can't wait to see Harvey play more consistently up forward. Showed some signs. Shaw took a couple of good contested interception marks.

Tom Logan was Tom Logan. Cannonball attack on the footy, good decision maker.

O'Sheezy showed zero. Stewy got a lot of it across half back but couldn't turn the game in our favour.

The Burley football is inferior to the Sherrin.

I think you over-rate the players performances today. Good in patches only. Neade fell away in the second half.

Clearly this post is not only about emphasising the afl listed payers performances as the only thing worth measuring but an attempt to demean those supporters that do have a care factor about winning these games.

When personnel of stature in this club declare there is no interest and care factor to be successful in this league then I'll agree with you and I'll expect the club to refund 3500 memberships as well and instruct us to not attend these games as well.

Often I read your posts with interest because of the depth you provide but your opening sentence in this post is thoughtless. Our club was built on an attitude of players developing best in a winning culture and although the main interests were towards the league side winning, it wasn't without that ethos being nurtured through the grades and the resources being thrown down the lower grades.

Perhaps you would like to swap our club's sanfl attitude to that of the crows' sanfl attitude.

Just a silly thoughtless thing to say.

I think you over-rate the players performances today. Good in patches only. Neade fell away in the second half.

Clearly this post is not only about emphasising the afl listed payers performances as the only thing worth measuring but an attempt to demean those supporters that do have a care factor about winning these games.

When personnel of stature in this club declare there is no interest and care factor to be successful in this league then I'll agree with you and I'll expect the club to refund 3500 memberships as well and instruct us to not attend these games as well.

Often I read your posts with interest because of the depth you provide but your opening sentence in this post is thoughtless. Our club was built on an attitude of players developing best in a winning culture and although the main interests were towards the league side winning, it wasn't without that ethos being nurtured through the grades and the resources being thrown down the lower grades.

Perhaps you would like to swap our club's sanfl attitude to that of the crows' sanfl attitude.

Just a silly thoughtless thing to say.

It's a personal opinion and certainly not one I'd push onto anyone else.

Winning and losing isn't the most important thing for me at SANFL level but I understand and accept that others feel differently on the matter absolutely. I'd still much rather win than lose and I agree that winning football is a good way to develop players.

No intention to offend.

With Neade, I agree that he wasn't dominant, he's not that sort of player. He seems to find time and space like nobody else on the ground though. Quick mind, quick hands, elite touch kicking, especially at SANFL level.

IMO we lost because WWT committed loose players back where as we seemed to be content to go 1 on 1 in defence, especially in the 2nd half. When they evened up our early stoppage dominance, I felt like that strategy exposed us a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be developing a winning culture all throughout the club.

Neade was good in the second half but wasted his opportunities.
That's not really possible given we're fighting with one hand behind our back due to our restrictions.

All we can do is continue to give a solid account of ourselves week in week out.

I believe we lost because we started to lose the clearances and failed to adapt tactically. I don't think there was any lack of effort.

I'd like to see more of Mitch not waiting under the ball but attacking the marking contest.
Put the Butch somewhere else other than 30m's out.
His marking is great,his field kicking is better than ok, tall, mobile n hungry for the contest.
BUT Butch's shooting for goal ='s spread out.
don't persist with square pegs in round holes.
Get him away from all but max shooting range(45/50m)
where he doesn't yip coz its a full stroke
We get excited re Austin Logan/Logan Austin
don't forget Dougal n Palmer
the days ahead look :D

It's a personal opinion and certainly not one I'd push onto anyone else.

Winning and losing isn't the most important thing for me at SANFL level but I understand and accept that others feel differently on the matter absolutely. I'd still much rather win than lose and I agree that winning football is a good way to develop players.

No intention to offend.

With Neade, I agree that he wasn't dominant, he's not that sort of player. He seems to find time and space like nobody else on the ground though. Quick mind, quick hands, elite touch kicking, especially at SANFL level.

IMO we lost because WWT committed loose players back where as we seemed to be content to go 1 on 1 in defence, especially in the 2nd half. When they evened up our early stoppage dominance, I felt like that strategy exposed us a bit.

It certainly read like it was a dig at those that care for the ups and downs of the sanfl side but I accept your 'no intention to offend'. I'm more motivated now to win an sanfl flag then in the past 15 years because of an array of reasons.

I just wish to add that I shared a drink with our Vice-Chairman when we got the vote to be one club and knowing that I was unhappy with us not having one a flag for 12 years at that time he stated that the Geelong side that won the vfl flag a few years before winning the '07 afl flag was mainly made up of the same players and wanted Port to work from the Geelong model.

As for the football side of things that you've outlined, about today's game, I agree, if I interpret correctly what you've said. The eagles had lines of players pressed up against our defence, I call it a forward flood. We couldn't handle it but whatever it was we didn't change it up for ourselves when it was evident what they were doing was beating us.

Last edited:
Our midfield stoppage work was non-existent for most of the game. We are two or three midfielders short of a reasonable SANFL side.

Moore, Amon, Mitchell would have made a huge difference today, imho.

That urks me a lot. The players we pull up, and I mean no disrespect, but they are too far away in their abilities to adequately plug the holes. Academy side is the proof. I won't put these kids down, I point the finger at the sanfl for its mission to make Port Adelaide insignificant at the sanfl level but to also weaken our afl chances. What i mean is, I believe strongly that some young afl listed players have their well-being at risk being forced to play sanfl league, plus those returning from long-term injuries. Different story if our sanfl side was playing against other afl reserves sides every week but they're not, they play against seasoned men, some are head-hunters. Now I hope the afl increases afl lists to 50 players. That would help to cover the gap.

That urks me a lot. The players we pull up, and I mean no disrespect, but they are too far away in their abilities to adequately plug the holes. Academy side is the proof. I won't put these kids down, I point the finger at the sanfl for its mission to make Port Adelaide insignificant at the sanfl level but to also weaken our afl chances. What i mean is, I believe strongly that some young afl listed players have their well-being at risk being forced to play sanfl league, plus those returning from long-term injuries. Different story if our sanfl side was playing against other afl reserves sides every week but they're not, they play against seasoned men, some are head-hunters. Now I hope the afl increases afl lists to 50 players. That would help to cover the gap.
I agree.
I commend our Academy players especially Robbie Young then Haarsma and Sawford. They were nowhere near our worst performed players today.

I agree.
I commend our Academy players especially Robbie Young then Haarsma and Sawford. They were nowhere near our worst performed players today.

... and, these kids are products of our juniors. Who knows when that generation of youth retire from football what level of top up we will be able to attract. Under the rules, I fear it won't be as good as these kids.

Redden's hitouts were going right down Ah Chee's throat for most of the 2nd quarter. I barely remember a hitout to advantage from him in the 2nd half, and Arch lost a lot of influence.

How did Clurey go? Through the midfield or down back?

Remember also we are missing Howard and Frampton who would contribute and Moore, Krak and Mitchell will slot back in.

Whilst the regulations are harsh and, I don't agree with them, they are to reduce the risk of Port and Adelaide dominating constantly. We had a great run with injuries last year, which helped us significantly at SANFL. We will get better with our Magpies recruiting and how to best maximise our chances.

im in a public library in hong kong with poor wifi. highly unlikely :)

My first few years in Canada this is how I supported Port Adelaide- the weekly trudge to the public library, log on to the internet and the afl website, trudge home slightly more downtrodden then before. 2010-2012 were tough years for the PAFC and they were tough years for me too. Makes the happier years all the sweeter.

I have mixed feelings about our whole SANFL side. On the one hand, the Magpies are part of who I am as a Port Adelaide supporter and there not being a Magpies would be just wrong. On the other hand, it's a bloody outrage that pissant clubs like Woodville have the temerity to dictate to Port Adelaide just who we can pick and how much we can pay them in the SANFL. The only things that these SANFL clubs should be saying to us is 'Yes, Sir' and 'No, Sir' when we speak to them. Part of the point of the whole China Strategy that the club is doing is to give us the financial muscle so that we can, if necessary, leave the SANFL and do our player development in the VFL or an expanded AFL reserves competition.

Not that it would have made any difference on what I'm reading- our SANFL team still has plenty of AFL players in it who sound like they did naff-all today. What's the go with Cam O'Shea? He seems to have gone from Power best 22 to Magpies stalwart at best in six months. Guys like Darcy Byrne-Jones should be tearing the SANFL apart by now. Just seems a bit of a worry how clubs like Norwood and Wood-vile Wet Torrens can nullify us with pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back