John the Butcher

Does not support the Ken Hinkley Football Club
May 27, 2014
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Http://www.news.com.au/national/por...ht-double-header/story-e6frfkp9-1227465053186[/URL]

PORT Adelaide has lobbied the AFL to host a Friday evening match as part of a blockbuster double-header next year.

Chief executive Keith Thomas said the Power is “exploring the opportunity’’ of playing a 6pm Friday match at Adelaide Oval, immediately followed by a game in Perth hosted by either West Coast or Fremantle.

http://www.news.com.au/national/por...ht-double-header/story-e6frfkp9-1227465053186

I actually wouldn't mind this, a win win for SA and WA teams as WA gets a true night slot

Great, so we can miss out on at least one of two decent Friday night games because one of these will be on pay tv... No thanks.

A 6:00pm start would be great for those working in the CBD and finish no later than 5:00pm and a logistical nightmare for everyone else.

Yeah, the people that struggle over here are the ones that have to go home to pick up kids or something like that first. It's a deadset nightmare, because you cop peak hour traffic on the way home and then cop footy traffic on the way back. If you have to get on a train or bus then add another 20-30 minutes - because all the trains are already in service for peak hour there isn't any left for any footy specific services.

If you work in the city and don't have to go home 6pm is fine, but most people don't fall into that category.

As someone who's been forced to go to a bunch off Thursday/Friday night games where the schedule is built around Victorian TV, 6pm games are an absolute nightmare to get to and are flat out not worth it. Don't see why the AFL would want to piss off 4 sets of fanbases by saddling them with the SA/WA 6pm local double headers

Great, so we can miss out on at least one of two decent Friday night games because one of these will be on pay tv... No thanks.

FTA back 2 back doubleheader.... 640pm game in a smaller venue in the east such as Geelong, Tassie, Canberra ..... second game in perth at 910pm with the away side being a big Melbourne club like Haw, Coll, Rich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide fans usually wake up around 3pm on weekdays so I can't see it being a problem for them to shake their hangover and make it to the ground by 6.
Sounds highly similar to my weekdays.

Worth a shot...I'd schedule a few next year to trial it (with a variety of teams, etc).

Only worry for Port would be if the AFL/ch7 decide they want/need the extra half hour of having the first game on the east coast. TV stations might also be iffy about it eating into the news.

If Port want double headers on Friday nights at 11pm after the 1st game then I'll say yes because I'll be in bed and won't need to watch crap. Hard enough my own team plays most Friday nights but to see 2 crap games is pushing it

Ive always thought it was a good idea to have at least a couple of double header Friday nights with the 2nd game being a later game in WA. Eagles can have one and Dockers can have one.

It also allows a Thursday game the following week. Imagine 1st up Friday Port v Hawks followed by Eagles v Pies, then Hawks v Pies the following Thursday.

FTA wins with an extra Thursday night game. Fox wins with the 2nd Friday night game.
Noone will miss the 5th Saturday game. 4 games in a row instead. A round where not a single game clashes. Its just win win for fans and broadcasters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back