News Port on TV thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked Patrenko's call on who he would draft - Bernie Vince.

I know it was probably just a throwaway line as a joke, but that's why I was a little shocked that Adelaide made that trade.
Trading established players who really don't want to leave (particularly moving them FROM their home state) would create some significant fractures amongst the playing group. Takes away the feeling of having a band of brothers and moves it to just being tradable commodities. Why would you have passion for your club if they don't treat you in the same regard?

holy s**t what are they smoking at the marngrook footy show? must be next level weed

Sounds like you haven't watched marngrook too often.

I know it was probably just a throwaway line as a joke, but that's why I was a little shocked that Adelaide made that trade.
Trading established players who really don't want to leave (particularly moving them FROM their home state) would create some significant fractures amongst the playing group. Takes away the feeling of having a band of brothers and moves it to just being tradable commodities. Why would you have passion for your club if they don't treat you in the same regard?
Apparently Vince was one of the most popular guys in the change rooms and gave it a relaxed buddy buddy feel (maybe he didn't take his footy seriously enough), I mean you have to remember they put his name out there as possible trade bait to get a high pick for Polec and when he found out he spat the dummy and forced a move.

Apparently Vince was one of the most popular guys in the change rooms and gave it a relaxed buddy buddy feel (maybe he didn't take his footy seriously enough), I mean you have to remember they put his name out there as possible trade bait to get a high pick for Polec and when he found out he spat the dummy and forced a move.

Vince never forced the move, he wanted to stay at the Crows. But the Crows were desperate to trade a player to get into the draft this year, and he seemed their best option all things considered.

Vince never forced the move, he wanted to stay at the Crows. But the Crows were desperate to trade a player to get into the draft this year, and he seemed their best option all things considered.

Actually they were desperate to get a pick to use on trollec because thry thought they had him.

Actually they were desperate to get a pick to use on trollec because thry thought they had him.

They were looking at alternatives for Polec. The Crows (correctly) thought it would be a huge blow to have no real (i.e. not speculative 4th round) draft picks for 2 years in a row, and wanted to trade into the draft as best they could.

Call me cynical but that whole Vince deal smacked of the AFL helping out a couple of clubs.

Colin Sylvia was overvalued in the free agent period but if he had been rated at his true value the deal wouldn't have been done. The crows wouldn't have accepted a later pick for Vince.

By overvaluing Sylvia the AFL was able to get a talented experienced midfielder to Melbourne to help out their Roos investment and Adelaide were able to get back into the early draft partially off-setting their losses from the Tippett fiasco. The AFL learned from the Carlton penalties that it doesn't want to unbalance the competitiveness of teams in its competition too much.

Sounds like you haven't watched marngrook too often.

I am watching last nights ep on YouTube now thanx to secretportfan. The last video linked about our game against the Kangaroos just had some comical slip ups, but it's cool how they have lots of footage and game content and the show doesn't seem like it's peppered with bad gimmicks and games and Dave Hughes - so pretty much not the Footy Show in every way. The black fella seems like a Sam Newman, he is a straight shooter.

Last edited:
I am watching last nights ep on YouTube now thanx to secretportfan. The last video linked about our game against the Kangaroos just had some comical slip ups, but it's cool how they have lots of footage and game content and the show doesn't seem like it's peppered with bad gimmicks and games and Dave Hughes - so pretty much not the Footy Show in every way. The black fella seems like a Sam Newman, he is a straight shooter.

black fella? When did I fall through the time tunnel to 1966?

Mate it's an Aboriginal football show, everyone on that panel apart from Wayne Carey (AFAIK) is an Aboriginal Australian. Possibly you are referring to former Central District Magarey Medallist Gilbert McAdam who referred to the Port Maggies.

I did chuckle at Gilbert's comment about not comparing Port to Melbourne. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Gilly is spot on - "we can't compare Port Power (sic) to Melbourne" and his explanations were spot on.

That show is hideously bad. Port Magpies?? Port Power??? Really?? Absolutely no idea, and i watched 20 mins of the footy show!

I know lets put Wayne Carey on our show that will make it bettero_O

Ps. yeah I'm a bit dirty that they compared us to Fitzroy briefly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That show is hideously bad. Port Magpies?? Port Power??? Really?? Absolutely no idea, and i watched 20 mins of the footy show!

I know lets put Wayne Carey on our show that will make it bettero_O

Ps. yeah I'm a bit dirty that they compared us to Fitzroy briefly.

Have you ever watched a full show from start to finish and several shows? It's not meant to be slick. It's a community channel 31 show whose agenda is to highlight blackfella footy - hows its different and how tough it can be for kids to make it. It's on NITV - there isn't much money there for high production value. Watch some of the interviews with young indigenous kids and other indigenous players and let them tell their story of how they got to the AFL and you see the full value of it. Also their interviews with past indigenous players both the great ones and not so great of their footy and post footy journey and you hear of side of footy not covered by the mainstream media.

On afl home page, the banner lists fixtures. Scroll back to the round you want. Hit 'watch replay'. Amazes me how many footy fans don't know this. It is also possible to download the files so as to avoid the utter shiteness of the player.
The player is God awful isn't it. Why on earth doesn't it give you the option to skip to any point in time of the video? Instead you have to try and find a certain play like a goal or a contested mark around the time you're wishing to view. Just bizarre

The player is God awful isn't it. Why on earth doesn't it give you the option to skip to any point in time of the video? Instead you have to try and find a certain play like a goal or a contested mark around the time you're wishing to view. Just bizarre

It's not bizarre, the free product is kept annoying quite deliberately. If it was easier to use (and higher res) then that would reduce the value proposition of the AFL Live subscription, which has higher-res and easily navigable replay videos.

It's not bizarre, the free product is kept annoying quite deliberately. If it was easier to use (and higher res) then that would reduce the value proposition of the AFL Live subscription, which has higher-res and easily navigable replay videos.
Good points. I'd be interested to know what overseas leagues like the NBA do with match replays.

Have you ever watched a full show from start to finish and several shows? It's not meant to be slick. It's a community channel 31 show whose agenda is to highlight blackfella footy - hows its different and how tough it can be for kids to make it. It's on NITV - there isn't much money there for high production value. Watch some of the interviews with young indigenous kids and other indigenous players and let them tell their story of how they got to the AFL and you see the full value of it. Also their interviews with past indigenous players both the great ones and not so great of their footy and post footy journey and you hear of side of footy not covered by the mainstream media.

Et tu REH? Aaaaahhhhh!!!!

0e492450_Time20Tunnel20129206-9-4.jpeg

Good points. I'd be interested to know what overseas leagues like the NBA do with match replays.
Well, there's lots of different variation because broadcasting rights get pretty complicated. One interesting thing is that the NFL does not televise games in the market in which the game is played, unless it's a sellout (talk about an incentive to get to the game). With most leagues you get a lot of simultaneous games that are not broadcast into some markets (for example Winnipeg NHL games don't get shown in Toronto). The major leagues offer one of two options. The first of which is that you can buy a cable TV subscription (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV in the US and all the Canadian broadcasters) that allows you to watch every game... which basically gives you an extra 8-15 channels on your cable.

Alternatively, they all have internet broadcasting now that allows you to buy a subscription to see every game live across the internet. You can generally see replays of all games using this too.

Has this thread moved somewhere else?

I was enjoying the Media chunks as they came through :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back