Port to wear Black and White Magpies Jumper this week.

What do you think about us letting Port wear the prison bars?

• Sadly for me, I'm not a Collingwood supporter :( (but at least my team is playing finals)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I'm a Collingwood supporter - bad idea, the black and white stripes are ours!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I'm a Collingwood supporter - care factor = 0

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I'm a Collingwood supporter - great idea to help out Port

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For the Port supporters here, is there a replica of the prison bars available or was the only way of getting it that membership one with all the names on it?

Apart from the AFL being incompetent, this should be a non-issue as far as Collingwood is concerned, we're not even playing this weekend. Port should be able to wear the prison bars every week in the finals if they want.

Non-issue for Collingwood - Ed and the club are clearly doing the right thing.

On the one hand - the AFL should not be forcing Port to wear an alternate jumper - they should be wearing their home jumper, with Richmond(/AFL) needing to find a suitable alternative.

Secondly - This is Port's heritage. I have no problem them wearing it this week, or in any sort of heritage/special round.... as long as it was never used against us.

(thirdly, and for another discussion - it's probably time we had a third alternate jumper anyway)

For the bad wrap Collingwood as a club and Collingwood supporters get, on bigfooty you're probably the best set of supporters going around, and every club would love their own Ed (we were lucky enough to get one in Kochie!). It's great of you guys to be comfortable enough with your brand to understand that we're not infringing on it, which I guess is easier when you're the biggest club in the country.

Richmond supporters have been really good about this whole debacle as well.

Good vibes all round.

For the Port supporters here, is there a replica of the prison bars available or was the only way of getting it that membership one with all the names on it?

We still have our SANFL jumper, But it doesn't have the AFL logo on it.
https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.c...CategoryID=2485&SubCategoryID=2324&OrgID=1750
400x400br.jpg

Richmond used to be my 'second team' because my girlfriend and her entire family barracked for them, so it was just easier. Also, they are a shambles so it's hard not to feel bad for them. Also, Richo!

But these days, that g/f is an ex and now the only Richmond supporter I know is a Collingwood-bagging arrogant gloating friend, so Richmond have gone from my second favourite to my second most hated, solely thanks to him.

So here's hoping they get smashed!

I hear ya brother!

I was finding myself leaning towards Richmond for this game until that ******* Rhett Bartlett started potting Collingwood all morning on twitter.

Although Rucci is doing his best to balance the ledger.

Will be good to see Mark Williams, Russell Johnston, John Cahill, Alan Didak, Bruce Abernethy, Greg Philips, Nathan Buckley's old jumpers getting around.

Non-issue for Collingwood - Ed and the club are clearly doing the right thing.

On the one hand - the AFL should not be forcing Port to wear an alternate jumper - they should be wearing their home jumper, with Richmond(/AFL) needing to find a suitable alternative.

Secondly - This is Port's heritage. I have no problem them wearing it this week, or in any sort of heritage/special round.... as long as it was never used against us.

(thirdly, and for another discussion - it's probably time we had a third alternate jumper anyway)
I appreciate what Ed's done and why but lets not fool ourselves we fought hard to get into the position we are in now where we can dictate to the AFL.

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/black-white-tradition#.VAVZ-GOkigY
Clearly frustrated by the debate, McGuire said the AFL must be prepared to protect the trademarks. If not, the Magpies would do so.

He said Collingwood supporters were hurt by suggestions the Magpies should change their jumper.

"We are not asking to take anything away (from other clubs) and they should not be asking it of us," he said.

"They have changed to become more like ours. This team from South Australia - this Port Power - why would they pick black and white? Did the competition really need another club in navy or dark colours?"

The AFL want all teams to have three strips by next season: a home jumper, an away jumper and another jumper to avoid clashes.

But, McGuire believes Collingwood - and Essendon - should not be subject to the rule.

"I don't think either club needs one; it is the others who have changed to be like us."

McGuire said while other clubs believed they could make more from marketing more than one jumper, that was not the case at Collingwood or Essendon. "We think it's hard enough for families to be able to buy one guernsey for their kids."

Cunningham said yesterday that McGuire's reported threat of legal action against Port for copyright on the black and white colours was "irrelevant".

"It just won't happen," he said. "Collingwood don't own the black and white colours. This club in its history has had black and white, and Collingwood weren't originally black and white and we weren't originally black and white. It's what teams changed to."

In addition to what RossFC posted, you can also buy a lace up 70s and 80s style guernsey but they aren't cheap.

Just don't understand why it was ever an issue really. Port Adelaide and Collingwood are very similar football clubs. I think Port should change their jumpers permanently, it won't cause any drama but it will piss off Adelaide so that's a bonus.

Port Adelaide dominating the SANFL with all the grand finals and Collingwood having played the most GFs in the VFL. You either love those clubs or you hate those clubs and that all comes due to the proud history that Port Adelaide and Collingwood have.

We have had so many Port players come to Collingwood in the past as well and some of the biggest names in Port Adelaide's history have bee involved with Collingwoood.

Enough of this love in... :D
Ok while it isnt an issue for us, this (ports "heritage" jumper) has always stuck in my craw. Am I not mistaken but are the Port magpies still running round in the SANFL?? Thought so. The Port Adelaide POWER are a totally different club that has a "heritage" dating back to 1997.

Ok while it isnt an issue for us, this (ports "heritage" jumper) has always stuck in my craw. Am I not mistaken but are the Port magpies still running round in the SANFL?? Thought so. The Port Adelaide POWER are a totally different club that has a "heritage" dating back to 1997.

They are basically the same club, don't think there ever would have been a Port Power if Port Adelaide Magpies didn't exist. They also share the same membership packages, the Power and Magpies memberships are all joined together. So if you buy a Power membership it counts as a Magpies membership as well I am 99% sure.

The Magpies are the reserves side not a seperate club. When Port joined the AFL there were rules put in place by the SANFL that caused confusion about who was really Port Adelaide. Since then Port has pushed to reunite the magpies and managed to get the model that was always wanted.

Google Port Adelaide One Club and you will find plenty of information that should help you understand what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I'm the only one who thinks black and white should be for collingwood only
If port want to wear that strip they should have some of those pale blue lines running down it cos we are the black and white, not them.

I'll try and explain it and clear it up for you. In 1996 The Port Adelaide Football Club, founded in 1870 with a magpie as their current emblem won the license to enter the AFL competition in 1997. As such this football club left the SANFL competition and took with it it's 36 SANFL premierships and has since won 1 AFL premiership in the same way as Collingwood Football Club has 13 VFL premierships and 2 AFL premierships. In 1997 a new club was formed to compete in the SANFL competition which was the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club, who has a heritage dating back to 1997. The Port Adelaide Football Club was forced by the Collingwood Football Club to change their emblem from a Magpie and they chose to change it to "Power". So you can try and change history as much as you like to suit your argument but that is factually what took place.
As someone who grew up in SA supporting a club that wasn't Port Adelaide, I still have respectful hatred for them, however it's frustrating when people don't know or understand why Port have 1870 on the back of their guernseys. Hopefully the way I've explained it makes sense!

AFL promised Collingwood the Black and White vertical stripes were Collingwoods only.
Ed promised to fight to the death to prevent any team wearing the Collingwood brand.
Both lied.
This exactly port can bloody wear their blue stripe or go back the the sanfl.

AFL promised Collingwood the Black and White vertical stripes were Collingwoods only.
Ed promised to fight to the death to prevent any team wearing the Collingwood brand.
Both lied.

Ed's selling this and the majority have bought his line that we will be rewarded later down the track for this.

We'll see.

I'll try and explain it and clear it up for you. In 1996 The Port Adelaide Football Club, founded in 1870 with a magpie as their current emblem won the license to enter the AFL competition in 1997. As such this football club left the SANFL competition and took with it it's 36 SANFL premierships and has since won 1 AFL premiership in the same way as Collingwood Football Club has 13 VFL premierships and 2 AFL premierships. In 1997 a new club was formed to compete in the SANFL competition which was the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club, who has a heritage dating back to 1997. The Port Adelaide Football Club was forced by the Collingwood Football Club to change their emblem from a Magpie and they chose to change it to "Power". So you can try and change history as much as you like to suit your argument but that is factually what took place.
As someone who grew up in SA supporting a club that wasn't Port Adelaide, I still have respectful hatred for them, however it's frustrating when people don't know or understand why Port have 1870 on the back of their guernseys. Hopefully the way I've explained it makes sense!
Couldn't have done it better myself

Much respect to the high percentage of Collingwood supporters and their respectful comments.
As discussed by others, we share many similarities, we go to war, we hate each other but in most regards, we respect one another.
I wish PAFC was surrounded with like minded clubs with similar philosophies. I personally envy not having the local rivalries like Victorian clubs do.

I don't mind Port wearing the prison bar jumpers, but they should have been able to play in their normal jumpers anyway.

Much respect to the high percentage of Collingwood supporters and their respectful comments.
As discussed by others, we share many similarities, we go to war, we hate each other but in most regards, we respect one another.
I wish PAFC was surrounded with like minded clubs with similar philosophies. I personally envy not having the local rivalries like Victorian clubs do.

I'd actually say Port Adelaide and Collingwood are as much traditional Rivals as Essendon/Carlton/Collingwood or Port/Glenelg/Norwood have been over the years.

Very refreshing to see the views of Collingwood supporters that understand history and culture. For you guy's to mostly accept us in the black and white, even if we can't wear it against Collingwood,pays tribute to how close the clubs were in recent history. Even Tiger's supporters get it to their credit. Some Crows supporters get it who's roots are deep in the SANFL and understand history and culture but as you guys know. Success breeds jealousy. Everyone hates Port Adelaide in SA. Everyone hates Collingwood in Victoria

Both lied.

Your last line flashed me back to a Raymond J Bartholemeuz poem.

Not "Days by the Ocean"..... but I can't find the exact one on youtube..... hell funny though.

he lied, he lied

Anyway showing my age.

Back