Mega Thread Port v Freo discussion - all together now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle & Peel Thunder
Because round 8 worked so well for you. :rolleyes:

Not in great form in round 8. But Freo's form going into the finals is very strong.

Mod's note - new thread started from existing discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in great form in round 8. But Freo's form going into the finals is very strong.
That's a fair point but if you were to be playing us at some point during the finals, wouldn't that mean you have come into the finals off a lose? And against the same team?

That's a fair point but if you were to be playing us at some point during the finals, wouldn't that mean you have come into the finals off a lose? And against the same team?

No. If we beat Port next week and lose to Sydney in a qualifying final, we play Port again (if you beat West Coast) in a semi final.

No. If we beat Port next week and lose to Sydney in a qualifying final, we play Port again (if you beat West Coast) in a semi final.
Oh I'm sorry, you felt that finishing 5th is better than finishing 4th. So I used this scenario.

EDIT: We were also talking about Round 8 and playing at Adelaide Oval, hence using that scenario.

So strong in fact that you would rather finish 5th to avoid sydney...

Oh I'm sorry, you felt that finishing 5th is better than finishing 4th. So I used this scenario.

Not what I said. I want to finish fourth and beat Sydney. But if Freo loses to Sydney, road to the grand final will be as hard as if they finished fifth.

Not what I said. I want to finish fourth and beat Sydney. But if Freo loses to Sydney, road to the grand final will be as hard as if they finished fifth.
I would prefer to play West Coast in round 1 of the finals at home then to play a battle hardened Sydney away and lose, only to have to come back home and play the team that had a training run against the Coasters.
Sounds like you would rather finish 5th than 4th to me. :confused:

I was also elaborating on the point that you made about playing us at Adelaide Oval. You were confident in beating us here despite not beating us here in round 8 with Fyfe and Barlow playing. You discussed your form then compared to now, but if you were to finish play us here in the finals would mean you would have to finish 5th. Meaning losing to us next week over in Perth and having to win the first final only to potentially come to Adelaide to play the same team you lost to 2 weeks earlier but at your home ground. I wouldn't be too confident if I was in the same situation.

Can't agree with that. I think that game against Hawthorn was your best for the season...your thoughts! Prior to that, you were going ok & getting the job done & then you hit the wall, like us. You were always going to beat Brisbane & we were always going to beat an undermanned Carlton. So, from next week, we will see where our form really is against a top 4 side, as will you guy's. Only thing is, we will have a full list to pick from, whereas you guy's won't. How bad is Pav's injury by the way?

Can't agree with that. I think that game against Hawthorn was your best for the season...your thoughts! Prior to that, you were going ok & getting the job done & then you hit the wall, like us. You were always going to beat Brisbane & we were always going to beat an undermanned Carlton. So, from next week, we will see where our form really is against a top 4 side, as will you guy's. Only thing is, we will have a full list to pick from, whereas you guy's won't. How bad is Pav's injury by the way?

But we have already seen our form against a top 2 side in Hawthorn just two weeks ago - a game we won quite convincingly. And we should have beaten Geelong in Geelong the week prior with two shots on goal in the last minute, including one after the siren. Our form right now against top 4 sides would appear to be strong.

Game against Hawthorn was right up there. Also highly rated our games against Collingwood, Geelong (round 9), Adelaide and Gold Coast.

I seriously doubt Pav is injured. Pulled out with a "tight quad". It was clear that when you destroyed Carlton, Freo would look to rest at least one player and Pav would be the obvious choice to rest. He was incredible against Hawthorn the week prior with 21 disposals, 8 marks and 5 goals.

But we have already seen our form against a top 2 side in Hawthorn just two weeks ago - a game we won quite convincingly. And we should have beaten Geelong in Geelong the week prior with two shots on goal in the last minute, including one after the siren. Our form right now against top 4 sides would appear to be strong.

Game against Hawthorn was right up there. Also highly rated our games against Collingwood, Geelong (round 9), Adelaide and Gold Coast.

I seriously doubt Pav is injured. Pulled out with a "tight quad". It was clear that when you destroyed Carlton, Freo would look to rest at least one player and Pav would be the obvious choice to rest. He was incredible against Hawthorn the week prior with 21 disposals, 8 marks and 5 goals.

No shock for me Pav may have been rested.I remember our earlier meeting this year where we matched your best footy for 3 quarters with the contested stuff, tackling pressure etc as at that point of the year that was the best Fremantle had played I felt and broke it open in the 4th.If we come and match that intensity at Subi, which is no mean feat as Fremantle are a 5 goal better side here then away, we have every chance of getting away late, when 6 day breaks, travelling from Brisbane etc are factored in plus no Fyfe and Barlow.Going to be a ripping contest can't see either side thumping the other, expecting a close, hard fought game with the winnee being by a goal or 2 either way.

No shock for me Pav may have been rested.I remember our earlier meeting this year where we matched your best footy for 3 quarters with the contested stuff, tackling pressure etc as at that point of the year that was the best Fremantle had played I felt and broke it open in the 4th.If we come and match that intensity at Subi, which is no mean feat as Fremantle are a 5 goal better side here then away, we have every chance of getting away late, when 6 day breaks, travelling from Brisbane etc are factored in plus no Fyfe and Barlow.Going to be a ripping contest can't see either side thumping the other, expecting a close, hard fought game with the winnee being by a goal or 2 either way.

Yes will be a ripper. Little inside tip - Barlow will play.

Yes will be a ripper. Little inside tip - Barlow will play.

Won't surprise me in the slightest to see him play,going to be a great occasion I feel, the Freo crowd as a opposition fan provide a great atmosphere to be a part of.Glad we are at full strength and chock full of confidence after Friday night, especially Chad back in some form as he tore Freo apart last time, and you lot don't seem to have a match up for him.Surely Crowley to Boak? As Robbie Gray will expose Crowley in the forward half I feel anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't surprise me in the slightest to see him play,going to be a great occasion I feel, the Freo crowd as a opposition fan provide a great atmosphere to be a part of.Glad we are at full strength and chock full of confidence after Friday night, especially Chad back in some form as he tore Freo apart last time, and you lot don't seem to have a match up for him.Surely Crowley to Boak? As Robbie Gray will expose Crowley in the forward half I feel anyway.

Has Crowley played on Robbie in the past?

We've already worked out to neutralise Chad. Not conventional but nonetheless very effective.

images

We've already worked out to neutralise Chad. Not conventional but nonetheless very effective.

images
Haha nice one.Last year and this year it Crowley to Boak, last year round 22 it was points to Crowley and this year thought it was points to Boak.So that's my tip for Crowley to go to as per usual really.

images

What? Chad kicked 5.2 on you this year..

Me and another poster mentioned this before, if Crowley goes to Robbie thats a win for us. He will take him into the forward 50 which he is just as dangerous at. Then Boak, Hartlett, Ebert and Polec can run wild.

EDIT: I'm silly

I love the simplicity of this week. Whoever wins gets the double chance.

We're good enough to win. We've proven this. Just need to make sure we come out ready to go.

This will be right up there with Sydney v Port (in Sydney) for game of the year. For Port, it's essential that we start well, to take the fanatical home crowd out of the equation. If Fremantle gets away to an early lead, they'll be damn tough to peg back. But we are Port Adelaide, and we never ever give up. Bring it on!!!!!

I love the simplicity of this week. Whoever wins gets the double chance.

We're good enough to win. We've proven this. Just need to make sure we come out ready to go.
This is what makes it a cracker, plus the fact that finishing fourth is unequivocally so much better than finishing fifth.

The massive bonus of home ground advantage that Freo will have is counterbalanced by the absence of Fyfe (agree that Barlow and Pav will play, and I don't mind it that way tbh).

Both teams seem to be returning to form after a bit of a down period.

Both teams rely on relentless defensive pressure and speed through the midfield (Pearce and Hill vs Polec and White), with solid tall defences, but some question marks on each team's ability to contain the other's small forwards (Balantyne, Walters vs Wingard, Neade, Monfries).

If we are truly back to our best form, fitness and confidence, this is going to be a fantastic and exciting match-up, that may go down to the wire like the rd 22 fixture of 2002.

I do think we need to consider carefully the inclusion of Impey to enable us to play Jonas and him on Walters and Ballantyne. I have no qualm with Moore being in the side usually, but with Fyfe out, I expect us to have enough depth to go with Freo's midfield without him.

No disrespect intended but rightly or wrongly, I feel very confident of a comfortable win at Subi. That's providing Pav comes back in, I also have a feeling Barlow will play.

Freo will be looking to blow Port away early and get the crowd into the game and try and intimidate what is still young side away from home.

We will be looking to stick with them with the belief that if we are still with them late in the 3rd qtr we will beat them on the outside in the end as superior fitness and their trip to Brisbane kick in.

Should be a ripper game - really, really important we start well and keep the crowd quiet.

Also, Barlow categorically said on radio last night that won't be available in rd 23 so despite some wishful thinking from Freo fans, he won't be there.

A lot at stake on Saturday. Both teams will be playing flat-out, desperate to secure fourth spot. No ducks and drakes.

Freo deserve to be favourites. Are in good form, have the home ground advantage and have been strengthened by Walters' return. Port seems to have found its early season form, and will be at full strength unless White is out injured.

It will be like the finals have come one week early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back