Review Port V Melb: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

SilenceOz

Premiership Player
Dec 1, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Review:

That was s**t, we are lucky, thank god for the break.

Psst:
Good: We Won

Bad: Doesn't feel like it

Ugly: Something is surely wrong with Ebert.

Last edited:
Good: We gave Dom a win in his last game, the crowd

Bad: Our Clearances, the Umps

Ugly: Overall, our skills were deplorable

Well its a relief to get the 4 points but man that was absolute pants.

It was like walking into a time warp back to latter day Choco era football today. Play short solely down the wings. Direct all our kicks inside 50 as deep as wide as humanly possible without the ball going on the full and relying on the ball up/throw in to win the ball inside 50 and score. It was ugly ugly ugly. There was no redeeming feature about that win at all except for the fact we won the 4 points. I'll say it now, we didnt deserve to win that game at all.

So many things wrong:

* Our skill level for the last 6 weeks has been poor but today took the cake. You'd think they were playing with a half inflated balloon the way we kicked the footy today. Turnover after turnover, tumble punts galore. It was like stepping back into time to the 1950s where mongrel punts were par for the course. Our handball skills werent much better.

* We seem to be stuck in this style where the way we play is determined by how good our opponent is. We play a top 4 team? We come to play with blistering football. We play a bottom 4 team? We look like a bottom 4 team ourselves. You could tell we werent switched on in the first 5 minutes. There must have been 10 mistakes in the first 5 minutes of the game - from Wines missing a target by 10 metres with the first kick of the game, to dropped marks, overrunning the footy, handballing to opponents. The scene was set early and apart from a 10 minute period in the second quarter we followed that path for the game. Especially the second half. That would be the worst half of footy i've seen us play live. Worse than the Collingwood 2011 match.

* Why the change in game plan? As I said in the preamble, we've gone from playing fast, direct, exciting football to endless switches across half back, playin wide and doing nothing but kick to noone in the forward pocket. Our entire system of play has changed. Not just today, but its been noticeable the last month.

* A number of key players down once again. I dont think Ebert hit a target by foot all day. Literally. Wines wasnt much better. Polec hasnt been the same since he did his ankle. Hartlett ditto. The only decent part of Lobbe's game in the last month has ben his tackling, and for a ruckman that is not a good thing to say at all.

* Outside of Boak, we've got noone in the midfield that can stand up and win a crucial clearance when we need it. Its the same story as last year. As soon as the opposition get a sniff then bang, 5 clearances to 0 in 2-3 minutes. Time after time they streamed forward from the stoppages. Time after time we fart arse around handballing to each other like a pre-game drill until we turn it over.

* A lot of people have remarked over the last month "we need a 3rd tall forward". To that I retort "we need a forward line full stop". People might blame Roos footy for how the game panned out but they'd be wrong. They werent flooding back all that often and literally the only time they were having people back is when we decided to play a 0, 1 or 2 man forward line, which we did a lot. Honestly, our forward structure stinks and it has nothing to do with how many talls we have. We were playing an 8 man defence at times with our misplaced desire to always have a free man back there. So who do we then kick to? For almost all the second half we were playing a 2 man forward line. We need to throw players around the ball because of our midfeilders inability to win the contest every week. When we do actually win it, we are forced to blind kick often to nothing or at best, a 1 on 3 contest. We are playin false economy football at the moment.

The break couldnt come soon enough. Everyone needs a few days off to refresh the batteries, to think about what we want to achieve this year and how we are going to achieve it. We have the players, we have the gameplan, we have the coaching to get success this year, but we need to believe that it is possible. We definitely wont get any success trying to play the style of footy we've attempted in the last month. Go back to basics people. Believe in yourselves.

Player Reviews:
Wines - His opening disposal summed up the game for me. Wasteful. Had a very poor first half, simply because every time he got the ball he burned it badly. Kicks over players heads, handballs chopped off. It wasnt pretty. To his credit, he worked hard in the second half and came good with a more than decent half of footy that helped us win the game. I think sometimes he doesnt realise he has more time than he has. Needs to settle down before disposing of it. At his best he's as good a disposer of the ball than any, but when he's not on, he cant hit even the most basic of targets.

OShea - My best on ground today. Thought he had a fantastic day across half back - not without error for sure - but he was one of the only players to break the lines and play down the corridor today, and for that he gets my BOG. Did a good job on Pedersen who hurt us last time. Was right on his hammer all day and was able to find plenty of space to try and create. Not without error as I said, that chopped off handball that led to Melbourne hitting the fron was farcical, but it was the only bad error in what was a very good game. Well done Cam, its great to have him back in the side playing great footy.

Cornes - An interesting battle with Vince. Ithink in the end they broke even. Cornes was pretty good with the ball and whilst he was able to limit the amount of ball that Vince had, I thought Vince was very good when he had it.

Westhoff - Great start, thought you beauty, Hoff has come to play finally. Then barely got a kick in the last 3 quarters. Ran around out of position doing not much for the middle 2 quarters. Another pressure kick, another farcical result. Its now gone beyond a joke and could have easily cost us the game. But then he takes the game saving mark in the last 30 seconds. Overall, just ok.

Ebert - I've said it about 4 times in the last 6 weeks but that was by far the worst game i've seen him play. NO issues at all with how he won the football, the tackles he laid, the blocks etc. He did a lot of the typical Ebo stuff that we love. And then theres the skills. I honestly dont think he hit a target all day. It was the worst kicking display i've seen from him, or any senior player all year. Hopefully he can refresh over the break and come back as the game changing mid we know and love.

Gray - Very good once again. His consistency is amazing. Made one poor choice late in the last quarter but outside of that he was able to consistently win the ball in close and was able to find space to use it well again. Wouldnt surprise me if he got the 10 coaches votes again. One of our only mids to win the hard ball all day.

Lobbe - When the best thing I can compliment Lobbe on over the last month is his tackling then you know there are issues. Once again I thought he was unable to find our mids with the ball with his hitout. Was well beaten again by a stronger ruckman. Badly out of form.

Pittard - His consistency has been great over the last 6 weeks and I thought today was another good to very good day for Jasper. Like Cam, he was one of the only players that was willin to try and take the game on and go down the corridor when he got the ball. Ball usage was fine. Defensively was fine. Was a good game.

Boak - Had a great first half where I thouht he was best on by a long way, but did fall out of the game in the second half with tighter play from his opponents. Despite that, he was still in our best players. His work in tight was great and useful which set him aside from some of our other mids.

Hartlett - Not his best game. Clearly hampered by his ankle still. Was limping most of the game and has lost a yard of pace and has literally no side step any more. Skills are down. Will no doubt be happy for the break.

Young - Kept thinking every time he got the ball 'hmm, havent seen Youngy much today' but ended up saying it 20 times and when you put the pieces together he had not only a good game but was one of our best players as well. Was our only player who could effectivel tackle and lock the arms today. Did some nice work in close and kicked a great pressure goal in the last quarter. Just needs to find more of it.

Wingard - Thouht he was really good at times in the first half then went completely out of the game again. Another that seems hampered by injury.

Cassisi - Love ya Dom. So happy we got the win for you. You deserve it. Had a very good first three quarters I thought, was defensively very good with a number of Dom contested ball wins that I will miss greatly. His last quarter wasn't great but doesnt matter. A good way to go out. Thanks for the memories Dom!

Schulz - Being outcoached by his own coach unfortunately. Caught in out numbered contests because he's the only player forward of centre for half the game. Unable to play effectively because he's nowhere near goal for half the game. Was never in doubt that he would slot the winner.

Broadbent - Defensively had a good battle playing on taller opponents in Watts and Pedersen. Did a pretty fine job in limiting their work inside the forward 50. Thought his run was nowhere to be seen though. Bit of a tighter role.

Stewart - This is the problem with Stewy. Had a good first quarter and a half, kicked a couple of goals and looked really good as that lead up forward. Did he get a touch in the last 75 minutes of the game? Honestly cannot remember him going near the ball in the second half at all. Given a chance, has he done enough to stay in the side? I dont think he has.

Jonas - Neither here nor there really. Had the job on Frawley and was good at times, gave him too much space at others. Ordinary with the ball. Was able to keep Frawley out of scorin range for the most part.

Hombsch - His match up on Dawes was one I was worried about as Dawes is bigger and a lot stronger than Hombsch, but I thouht Hombsch played a perfect defensive game on Dawes. Gave him no space to work inside 50, was able to run off him numerous times and either kill a contest or run off with the ball. High in our best players. Fast becomin gone of my very favourite players.

Newton - Thought he had a good cameo in the last quarter when he came on. Won a couple of crucial contets and laid some nice tackles. Had a hand in our match winner. Really needed him playing a full game today in retrospect.

Impey - Has gone from being so sure with the ball to having me close my eyes when he gets it. I'll give him credit in that he tries his heart out every week, defensively still very good one on one. But jeez its a lottery when he gets the ball at the moment. Turning it over with increasing regularity more with decision making than poor skills. Thouht his lack of peripheral vision in that play in the last quarter wasnt pretty, but good on him for taking the game on and trying to get it forward quickly.

White - His worst game to date. Dropped the ball, dropped marks, fumbled and then was subbed off.

Polec - Nowhere near the player he was pre-injury. Wasnt even tagged, just didnt get near it.

POTY Votes:
7 - O'Shea, Hombsch, Gray
6 - Boak, Young
5 - Cornes, Pittard, Cassisi
4 - Westhoff, Jonas, Wines, Schulz, Broadbent
3 - Newton
2 - Lobbe, Wingard, Stewart
1 - Hartlett, Impey
0 - Ebert, White, Polec

Defence is in shambles. After Tapscott kicked that goal it had a close up on Pittard and Tapscott no one had any idea what to do. Tapscott ran free into the centre and absolutely crunched Ebert resulting in a turnover. Bobby back next game is crucial. Feel sorry for Jonas and Hombsch but they will be better for it in the future.

Also it was some what nice to see Wingard attack the contest and tackle albeit for half the game..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on with our forward structure. It could possibly actually make us worse to play Butcher as his strong hands will be able to out mark most opponents which would just go further toward hiding the fact that it shouldn't be 1 vs 2/3 in the first place

I thought we fixed a few problems today. Won contested possessions, corrected the kick-to-handball ratio and tackled better. Disposal is still down and run has dropped off, plus we need to keep our structure. Relieved to sneak home but still plenty to rectify.

3rd tall? How about 1? At one stage after Melbourne hit the front in the last I looked at our fwd setup at the centre bounce. Paul Stewart (our 'tall'), Gray, Polec, Wingard and Boak in the fwd 50.

We are so far off it right now....

I dont know what it is but we are mentally down....

We can blame structure and the loss of bobby and jackson but its more than that right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back