Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't.
I would say it would have more to do with member's acceptance than the AFL's acceptance.
But I have no inside information on it.

thanks dude

on our members acceptance, FWIW when we were discussing this on Bigfooty in the preseason there was strong support for this jumper over the current side panels. In fact when it was announced it would be our reserves away jumper, people actually make inquiries if it would be available for sale (something the club hadn't originally considered as they assumed no one would have much interest in VFL away kit)

This. Focus on the game please, not guernseys.
I agree, but this issue highlights where the AFL have lost the plot, they are engulfed in other matters that appear to take precedence over the game and that is wrong. You are 100% correct, but blame Mark Evans department for this fiasco. Richmond have been very obliging about the issue, stating publicly they would be happy to wear their away strip. The AFL requires a complete over haul of their own personnel, priorities and policies. Our game is in the hands of incompetent fools.

yes, that doesnt change ownership rights (assuming they are in place)

If the WAFL wanted to block any move to use it, they would simply have to argue they are retaining the rights for if/when SoO returns

Again, if that is the issue, either break the sash with a Richmond logo in the middle, or instead of a sash, use the claw design that the Tiges had for preseason games in the early 00s. Or maybe a thin yellow sash inside the black sash. If the obvious 'reverse the colours' idea is blocked by the WAFL (I guess it's possible, since Richmond would be wearing it in away games at Subiaco), I don't reckon it would take a genius to come up with about half a dozen acceptable alternatives in five minutes that follow a similar concept to the original idea of a black sash on a yellow guernsey.

I don't think Gilligan has the faintest idea what he got himself into.....

never wanted him for the gig, I was hoping they would go Brian Cook given his track record at the WCE and GFC. Successful over the long term AND a strong appreciation of the issues of both Vic and non-Vic clubs

Instead we got a mummy's boy gifted the job

thanks dude

on our members acceptance, FWIW when we were discussing this on Bigfooty in the preseason there was strong support for this jumper over the current side panels. In fact when it was announced it would be our reserves away jumper, people actually make inquiries if it would be available for sale (something the club hadn't originally considered as they assumed no one would have much interest in VFL away kit)
It will probably become the Clash jumper then.

Again, if that is the issue, either break the sash with a Richmond logo in the middle, or instead of a sash, use the claw design that the Tiges had for preseason games in the early 00s. Or maybe a thin yellow sash inside the black sash. If the obvious 'reverse the colours' idea is blocked by the WAFL (I guess it's possible, since Richmond would be wearing it in away games at Subiaco), I don't reckon it would take a genius to come up with about half a dozen acceptable alternatives in five minutes that follow a similar concept to the original idea of a black sash on a yellow guernsey.

just my "IMO" but given what happened with the eagles, I think the WAFL would be open to a solution. The black swan kit looks good, and it is an attractive option is the SoO ever returns

It will probably become the Clash jumper then.

we would love it to be our clash jumper

it doesnt conflict with anyone except perhaps the WCE tri-colour (havent lined the two against each other TBH), but would be no issue if the wings returned

Freo have white in their normal strip, so do the Swans. I've seen the past two Grand Finals, no problem. My objection is we see teams who do NOT have white in their normal colour scheme being forced to wear a ridiculous white away strip that takes away the identity of that club playing. A few weeks ago we had Brisbane, Adelaide and GWS playing and they all looked exactly the same on TV! Predominately white with some squiggly cartoon character on the front, i had no idea who was who? This issue this week is detracting from should be a great game, Richmond have a perfectly good and identifiable away strip, but some idiot at the AFL won't allow them to use it even though they have since 2010!!!! It's utter madness!
That's not so much the AFL's fault though. Melbourne have a predominantly white strip but keep the same Red V and then use blue panelling down the side. It's pretty much our normal jumper with some whited out areas.

GWS' colours are grey and orange. Adelaide are red, yellow and blue. That they decide for the neutral white and bad patterns instead of mixing their original colours in to something workable isn't really the AFL's fault.

I do agree the AFL have to draw a line on clashes though. If it's that clubs have to be completely different from their opponent then that's the line. If it's the more practical line in that as long as there's no clash it's fine then we go with that. No ad hoc decisions the week before finals that the clash guernseys are all of a sudden insufficient.

Maybe it's time for each team to have 2 different clash guernseys to be worn at the right occasions. If each of them are only worn a couple of times per year then I can't see any reason to be upset.

I have no idea how the WAFL can own the design, the sashes aren't even the same. Mero may know more.

One of the colours was not the same in the Crows adaptation of the SA jumper earlier this year, but that still wasn't enough to stop the Port River from overflowing and destroying civilization as we know it.

That's not so much the AFL's fault though. Melbourne have a predominantly white strip but keep the same Red V and then use blue panelling down the side. It's pretty much our normal jumper with some whited out areas.

GWS' colours are grey and orange. Adelaide are red, yellow and blue. That they decide for the neutral white and bad patterns instead of mixing their original colours in to something workable isn't really the AFL's fault.

I do agree the AFL have to draw a line on clashes though. If it's that clubs have to be completely different from their opponent then that's the line. If it's the more practical line in that as long as there's no clash it's fine then we go with that. No ad hoc decisions the week before finals that the clash guernseys are all of a sudden insufficient.

Maybe it's time for each team to have 2 different clash guernseys to be worn at the right occasions. If each of them are only worn a couple of times per year then I can't see any reason to be upset.
Show me a Melbourne guernsey with white in it since 1857? Melbourne can easily reverse the base jumper surely? Why can't the Crows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only Tuesday. Will be a non issue by tomorrow. Game is on Sunday. Attention will turn to Geelong/Hawthorn soon enough.

nah, its only Tuesday, so tomorrow the AFL will come out and suggest the balls should be changed to purple to avoid clashes with Deleido's orange boots

never wanted him for the gig, I was hoping they would go Brian Cook given his track record at the WCE and GFC. Successful over the long term AND a strong appreciation of the issues of both Vic and non-Vic clubs

Instead we got a mummy's boy gifted the job

This - he would have been ideal

nah, its only Tuesday, so tomorrow the AFL will come out and suggest the balls should be changed to purple to avoid clashes with Deleido's orange boots

Knowing the AFL this would be their preference over asking Deledio to change his boots.

On one hand this is a great compromise because of the big connection Port Adelaide and their fans have with the prison bar jumper.

Still a ridiculous situation with the clash jumpers- hopefully everyone recognises that the Richmond VFL clash jumper is great. Sure it's isn't white but it won't clash with any jumper that the Richmond home jumper clashes with.

Likewise West Coast should use the yellow peril as our clash with the royal blue as our home.

Richmond would have a good looking clash jumper that still takes into account the club history and actually works as a clash jumper.

PA got their knickers in a knot about wearing a club wearing a state jumper earlier this year.
Yes for good reason, it's not your heritage. However the PAFC never made a formal compliant to the SANFL or AFL about it either, they just publicly said they didn't agree with you wearing it. I think the main reason why it got blocked is because former players that played state football were also furious about that debacle. The utter arrogance and lack of respect from your club on that issue was astounding in order make a few bucks. Anyway that's a separate issue to the AFL having a broken clash guernsey policy, if you want to troll go to the bay.

Yes for good reason, it's not your heritage. However the PAFC never made a formal compliant to the SANFL or AFL about it either, they just publicly said they didn't agree with you wearing it. I think the main reason why it got blocked is because former players that played state football were also furious about that debacle. The utter arrogance and lack of respect from your club on that issue was astounding in order make a few bucks. Anyway that's a separate issue to the AFL having a broken clash guernsey policy, if you want to troll go to the bay.
Look it is alright for Port to complain about jumpers other side wear just no one can complain about the jumpers you wear.

we would love it to be our clash jumper

it doesnt conflict with anyone except perhaps the WCE tri-colour (havent lined the two against each other TBH), but would be no issue if the wings returned

West-Coast-2014.gif

vs old WA state of origin

WA-1982.gif

Not a clash

Look it is alright for Port to complain about jumpers other side wear just no one can complain about the jumpers you wear.

Completely different thing.
It's a team wearing the South Australian SOO jumper against a South Australian club which had many players represent SA in SOO.

I don't think Gilligan has the faintest idea what he got himself into.....

Drop off the last few words and you're spot on. "I don't think Gilligan has the faintest idea".

Like most of them in the AFL, he's obviously got a head for finance, but no clue whatsoever about football. Can't wait to hear him make a total hash of the Brownlow, pronouncing names wrong, teams wrong, etc. It WILL happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back