Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly ive accepted that we won't be bad enough to get a top 3 pick this year. Which sucks because there are supposed to be some great looking SF prospects in the draft and our roster is devoid of any scoring or playmaking from the forwards. On the plus side McCollum looks better then id hoped and we have some good pieces that would be ideal for spots 4-10 on a playoff side. We just need to get some more top end talent. Hopefully a pick in the 6-10 range and we strike gold

Sadly ive accepted that we won't be bad enough to get a top 3 pick this year. Which sucks because there are supposed to be some great looking SF prospects in the draft and our roster is devoid of any scoring or playmaking from the forwards. On the plus side McCollum looks better then id hoped and we have some good pieces that would be ideal for spots 4-10 on a playoff side. We just need to get some more top end talent. Hopefully a pick in the 6-10 range and we strike gold

Yeah thats the thing isn't it ? We look like we will be about a 30 win team, which will likely lead to a pick around 6-10.

Missed most of the last half today. Probably a good thing..
CJ and Dame will carry us this year. Still not sold on CJ as the backup PG, but I suppose it's all about development. He seems to be a fine playmaker when he's on the court with other playmakers, but when he's the only playmaker in the game at PG he seems to struggle getting the team going. His D seems hella shaky too. That handle though...
Love Vonleh. He's a big big boy, with good touch on his shot. Hope he finds his way into the starting lineup by years end - but also hope it's not by necessity as Meyers has stunk up the joint, big hopes for Meyers too.
Plumlee is solid. Certainly not scared.
Bring on the season!
As excited as I am with the hopes of our young guys, I still think we'll suck in the W/L column. Can't see many teams being worse than us.

Have not really followed the off-season news that closely. Should be interesting to see how we go. Currently I have very little expectations though. Think that will make the season a little more funner.

I still have no idea how many games this team will win. If we win 41 I won't be overly shocked. If we win 22 I won't be overly shocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meyers looked ******* clueless on D at times, specifically when guarding a big with range.
Plumlee did well finding the open man after diving to them rim on PnR's.
Undefeated.

Holy cow McCollum was hot today. That first quarter, wowee. He has all the tricks with the ball, if he was 2 inches taller we would be set at the guard spots for years to come. Today showed that when this team is making their jump shots, we can get as hot as anyone, but by the same token once we start missing, we really lack a plan B. This team will definitely be fun to watch throughout the year, and ultimately who knows, maybe this rebuild will leave us in an even better place than if LMA had stayed.

Having only really watched the highlights, did Meyers play PF or C? I think he needs to be played at C rather than PF, he doesn't have the lateral speed to be out on the perimeter guarding guys.

Now I know we're only 3 games into the season but these last 2 games highlight exactly why I don't think Stotts is the right coach moving forward.

Firstly, I just don't get his rotation, why we had Leonard guarding guys like Markieff and PJ Tucker on the perimeter is beyond me. Meyers cannot guard stretch 4s period and Stotts has seemed to rigid (or plain stupid) to make that change. Another example of Stotts stubborness is him continuing to start Plumlee over Davis. Davis has outplayed Plumlee in every single game so far this year (preseason and regular season) and would be a much better fit with Meyers, allowing Meyers to play the 5 on defense and on the perimeter on offense.

Yesterday, down 20 Stotts kept the starters in the game until the last 2 and a half minutes. Meanwhile Harkless, Vonleh and Crabbe just sat on the pine. Today Vonleh plays 6 minutes when we were screaming out for his agility to match up with Phoenix on the defensive end. We all saw it last year when Stotts refused to give CJ any freedom and an opportunity to be a spark plug off the bench. Obviously the stakes were a little higher last year but I just don't trust Stotts ability to put young players on a position where they can succeed and develop. I think Vonleh probably has the biggest upside of any of our unproven young guys but I think he'll be stuck on the pine because Stotts will choose to play the more senior guys and will give him a really short leash and take him off as soon as he makes mistakes.

He just seems like such a meh coach who isn't going to give us a real identity other than high pnr's and plenty of jacked up 3s. Even if we suck I'd love for us to be known as a really scrappy, hard nosed defensive team who gets after it, rather than just outright sucking

Now I know we're only 3 games into the season but these last 2 games highlight exactly why I don't think Stotts is the right coach moving forward.

Firstly, I just don't get his rotation, why we had Leonard guarding guys like Markieff and PJ Tucker on the perimeter is beyond me. Meyers cannot guard stretch 4s period and Stotts has seemed to rigid (or plain stupid) to make that change. Another example of Stotts stubborness is him continuing to start Plumlee over Davis. Davis has outplayed Plumlee in every single game so far this year (preseason and regular season) and would be a much better fit with Meyers, allowing Meyers to play the 5 on defense and on the perimeter on offense.

Yesterday, down 20 Stotts kept the starters in the game until the last 2 and a half minutes. Meanwhile Harkless, Vonleh and Crabbe just sat on the pine. Today Vonleh plays 6 minutes when we were screaming out for his agility to match up with Phoenix on the defensive end. We all saw it last year when Stotts refused to give CJ any freedom and an opportunity to be a spark plug off the bench. Obviously the stakes were a little higher last year but I just don't trust Stotts ability to put young players on a position where they can succeed and develop. I think Vonleh probably has the biggest upside of any of our unproven young guys but I think he'll be stuck on the pine because Stotts will choose to play the more senior guys and will give him a really short leash and take him off as soon as he makes mistakes.

He just seems like such a meh coach who isn't going to give us a real identity other than high pnr's and plenty of jacked up 3s. Even if we suck I'd love for us to be known as a really scrappy, hard nosed defensive team who gets after it, rather than just outright sucking

Stotts has never ever been big on defence so if we want that we should cut our losses shortly your right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back