Portland Trail Blazers Thread

A 1 point win at home to the Jazz but I will take any win we can muster atm, Also good to see Dame go 10-17 from the field.
Pity he still cant hit a 3 to save his life at the moment

But a much better performance from him. Also great to see Rolo back.

Hopefully Kaman can start to work better with the bench (sans today) and we start to get some more continuity with our substitution patterns and lineups

Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Thank **** Lopez is back. He made such a difference setting picks, offensive rebounding, altering shots etc. Despite Lillard's woes from behind the 3pt line, his assist numbers have been pretty good recently and he's not forcing shots. Difference between him and someone like Westbrook is he won't shoot us out of games by forcing more shots even when he's struggling.

edit: it is so bleedingly obvious that Afflalo would complete our roster that if Olshey doesn't make the move I would have to consider that he may be too in love with the youngsters he has drafted to the detriment of our roster. I mean if we could roll out a second unit of Blake Afflalo Crabbe Leonard and Kaman we've got absolutely everything we need for a title run

Last edited:

Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Yet another game where Portland's first round pick in the 2012 draft comes through in the crunch and leads them to a win. No I'm not talking about Damian Lillard, I'm talking about Meyers Leonard. I think just about every single Portland fan has doubted this guy at one time or another, and at stages he looked like he was a mile off being an NBA player, but he's put together a really good month coming off the bench and today when no one else could make shots and our offense was spluttering, he made 4 big shots and got some rebounds. He'll never be a star but he's essentially a more athletic Spencer Hawes who can actually rebound and is shooting much more efficiently.

Also, I ******* hate the Rockets, **** them, **** their fans and *** that flopping **** Harden

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Yet another game where Portland's first round pick in the 2012 draft comes through in the crunch and leads them to a win. No I'm not talking about Damian Lillard, I'm talking about Meyers Leonard. I think just about every single Portland fan has doubted this guy at one time or another, and at stages he looked like he was a mile off being an NBA player, but he's put together a really good month coming off the bench and today when no one else could make shots and our offense was spluttering, he made 4 big shots and got some rebounds. He'll never be a star but he's essentially a more athletic Spencer Hawes who can actually rebound and is shooting much more efficiently.

Also, I ******* hate the Rockets, **** them, **** their fans and *** that flopping **** Harden

******* stoked with bouncing back on a back to back after what happened yesterday, what makes it even sweeter is beating those ******* flopping campaigners when they still maintained they were better than us when we tossed them from the post season last year.

@TrailBlazersPR: Meyers Leonard has averaged 7.5 points and 5.7 rebounds on 59.8% FG (46.3% 3-PT) since the beginning of 2015 (19 games).

Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Gotta say it is extremely encouraging to see these two young guys seizing their opportunities and making a difference. Our bench goes from horrid to a strength when these guys are shooting well and scoring. Super excited for the back half of the season and they playoffs. Still think we are a backup wing away from being ready to rumble with the big boys so it will be interesting to see if Olshey gets something done

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Gotta say it is extremely encouraging to see these two young guys seizing their opportunities and making a difference. Our bench goes from horrid to a strength when these guys are shooting well and scoring. Super excited for the back half of the season and they playoffs. Still think we are a backup wing away from being ready to rumble with the big boys so it will be interesting to see if Olshey gets something done

Our back up big (defense wise anyway) will help too when Freeland returns but unlikely to be before March.

Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
With the deadline fast approaching we are apparently in the mix for either Chandler or Afflalo. Either would be helpful, but I wonder who would be the best fit? Part of me says Chandler because backup sf has been a problem and this would allow Batum to play some backup sg, the other half says Afflalo because while CJ can score, Afflalo adds to our defensive stocks. Thoughts?

With the deadline fast approaching we are apparently in the mix for either Chandler or Afflalo. Either would be helpful, but I wonder who would be the best fit? Part of me says Chandler because backup sf has been a problem and this would allow Batum to play some backup sg, the other half says Afflalo because while CJ can score, Afflalo adds to our defensive stocks. Thoughts?
Dont forget Chandler is a very good defender.

I feel like Affalo might be insurance if we dont end up matching a deal for Wes

Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Dont forget Chandler is a very good defender.

I feel like Affalo might be insurance if we dont end up matching a deal for Wes
This is true and I feel like Chandler is the better fit, but Denver seem to want more for him

Lillard (36)/Blake (12)
Mathews (34)/Batum (8)/CJ (6)
Batum (20)/Chandler (28)
LA (36)/Leonard (12)
Rolo (32)/Kaman (16)

Whereas if we get Afflalo I don't think having Wes and Afflalo play the 2 and 3 at the same time is ideal. At least with Batum splitting time at the 2 and 3 he can act as the secondary ball handler to both Lillard and Blake. Maybe I'm splitting hairs though

This is true and I feel like Chandler is the better fit, but Denver seem to want more for him

Lillard (36)/Blake (12)
Mathews (34)/Batum (8)/CJ (6)
Batum (20)/Chandler (28)
LA (36)/Leonard (12)
Rolo (32)/Kaman (16)

Whereas if we get Afflalo I don't think having Wes and Afflalo play the 2 and 3 at the same time is ideal. At least with Batum splitting time at the 2 and 3 he can act as the secondary ball handler to both Lillard and Blake. Maybe I'm splitting hairs though
I agree with Wes and affalo playing the 2/3 at the same time- although stotts does like playing small ball with guards.

I think Chandler is the better fit. We desperately need better wing production and we don't really have a reliable back up for Batum- wright has been ok in spurts.

If we did get Chandler and decided not to match I feel pushing Batum to the 2 and Chandler at the 3 wouldn't be a bad option providing Batum goes back to shooting his % prior to this season.

Interested to see if we do make a move, which Denver player we get or if we decide to bring in Prince instead.

Well we acquired Arron Afflalo and Alonzo Gee for a future first (with lottery protection that becomes second round picks in 2018), T-Rob, Claver and Barton.

Good move-seems like the asking price for Chandler was too high? Plus we received a serviceable backup 3 in Gee who shoots the 3 decently and plays solid d.

Arron Afflalo: shooting 50.2% on mid-range shots this season, #1 among players w/at least 200 such FGA. POR shoots 39.5%, 21st in the NBA

Depth chart post trade:

Lillard/Blake
Wes/Afflalo/Lillard/CJ
Batum/Wes/Afflalo/Gee/Crabbe
LMA/Leonard/Wright
Lopez/Kaman/Freeland

With 1 free roster spot i assume we are looking at a 3rd string point guard?

Back