Port's Fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Without access to GPS or anything like that, I thought it would be interesting just to throw up a few numbers that may or may not be entirely relevant.

Port are fifth in the league for second halves but second in scoring and third in defence.

They are first in final quarters with most points for and third least for points against.

After the 25 minute mark of a quarter they are 70 goals for, 43 against. The only other club I could be bothered to do was the Hawks and they are 93/29 in one less game.

This probably has more to do with them being behind due to poor starts more often than not. They get off to a great start against Richmond in a final and Richmond kill them in the last quarter. Superior fitness? No, you just don't need to go as hard in the second half or the last quarter if you put in the hard yards early in the game.

It is all in the mind.
You see the same thing in junior footy, where some teams always win last quarters and some always lose - even though there would be no difference in the fitness between different groups of 11 year olds.
Confidence in sport (as in life) is everything.

It is all in the mind.
You see the same thing in junior footy, where some teams always win last quarters and some always lose - even though there would be no difference in the fitness between different groups of 11 year olds.
Confidence in sport (as in life) is everything.

If this is true, why are Port paying Darren Burgess $700 000 a year?

There was a shot of the Freo bench in the 3rd quarter the other night and Barlow was hunched forward gasping for breath. It made me think that either they'd forked up their rotations or they'd burnt themselves out in the first half. We saw nothing like that, our guys looked fresh even at the end, as Lama94 said above.
BTW in looking up Lama94's tag there were heaps of lamas. What is this, are we in Peru or something? Actually I think that is llamas, but for the purpose of the post I'm letting that go by.

m8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have done absolutely everything right over the last two years. They have the best men for the job in every position from the top down.

Gun CEO
Gun Chairman - say what you like about Kochie but he has been fantastic for Port.
Gun Coach
Gun Fitness staff (particularly Burgess he is the best in the business atm)
Playing group that runs all day and plays for the jumper.

As much as it pains me to say they have everything in order and I envy them.
Its true. They are a tough and fit bunch. Hawks will have to be on their toes.

Could have sworn those hydrogen come from lactic acid though.

Yes, acids are H+ dissolved in water. And lactic acid is the culprit in exhausted muscles..

Highly debatable, there's plenty of research that suggests the H+ involved in muscular fatigue comes from the hydrolysis of ATP (ATP−4 + H2O → ADP−3 + HPO4−2 + H+), while the reduction of pyruvate to lactate (pyruvate- + NADH + H+ → lactate- + NAD+) actually uses up H+

Got anything to back that up?

No doubt Port are in good nick but "several years ahead" would see some pretty clear-cut data floating around.
See our last quarters. Everyone now knows heat training is the answer but most only realised half way through this year and are already locked into their altitude training camps. That gives us 3 preseasons/years ahead of the competition. Several.

We're the fittest team you know,
The Burgo fitness makes us so,
So open up some kegs of beer
'Cause we'll win some flags this year

Stolen from Dr Fred Chocka Bloch who wrote the Adelaide Uni Blacks song in 1980 with a minor variation to include Bob Neil in 1988. (to the tune of California Here I Come)

Stolen from Dr Fred Chocka Bloch who wrote the Adelaide Uni Blacks song in 1980 with a minor variation to include Bob Neil in 1988. (to the tune of California Here I Come)

The Blacks, The Blacks, The Blacks are fit!
The Blacks, The Blacks, The Blacks suck piss!!

Highly debatable, there's plenty of research that suggests the H+ involved in muscular fatigue comes from the hydrolysis of ATP (ATP−4 + H2O → ADP−3 + HPO4−2 + H+), while the reduction of pyruvate to lactate (pyruvate- + NADH + H+ → lactate- + NAD+) actually uses up H+
WUT? :confused:
There's something in that for all of us, don't you think?

What I've gleaned here - don't root when you're pissed!

Sorry did not see the date.

Ports fitness is a Myth it has always been a mental thing

you've obviously never seen the name "Darren Burgess" around either...

Takes up, not uses up.

Now to be clear, what you are referring to is the short term "burn", not fatigue. Ignore wiki and various fitness websites, most citations are not well explained and in context, nor sometimes are terms used appropriately.

Muscle fatigue is not well defined, but a loose summary includes a reversible decline in one or more biological system, that may or may not occur before a decrease in performance. Now, there is no as yet single limiting causal factor that maintains primacy. Most mechanistic models look for a weak link, but there is variability even amongst model design. What would be being reffered by fatigue in this instance, is cellular physio-chemical processes that may cause a decrease in performance. There are many metabolic changes that can influence contractile impairment at the cellular level, however it is no longer believed that acidosis effects myofibrillar function, so therefore is not one of them. In fact lactate is a key component of anaerobic respiration in working muscle

So onto muscle soreness. "Post work out" soreness, or the soreness you experience after an intermediate duration is unlikely to be cause by lactic acid. Lactic acid concentrations usually decrease rapidly post contraction, or work and there are other more obvious and easily observable causitive factors.

What you have reffered to above, is the short term "burn". Now, there has been a small amount of literature which supports the idea that increased proton (technically hydronium) concentration and therefore acidosis is the product of non glycolitic H+ release, due to the conversion of ATP. However, there are studies which strongly refute this position. In fact in vivo tests in mice, have shown that increased Lactate levels directly corelate with a decline in pH.

Last edited:

Burgess has a big media profile, but he is not the only highly qualified high performance manager in the AFL.

What about Robert Spurs of the Swans? The Swans are physically peaking after a slower start to the season. The Swans players look like the are moving superbly and not wilting. That Mike Pyke goal against Freemantle was an example of player running freely into space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back