Port's Fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be willing to bet they run out of puff later in the season.

Similar to Essendon a few years ago, they've had a new fitness guy come in and absolutely smash them in the preseason which has them super fit for the first half of the season and over running most teams, however their young bodies will start to fatigue in the 2nd half of the season.

People getting too excited too early
They had a dip in form during the middle of last year and looked good in the finals last year knocking your mob off and giving Geelong a good run too from memory.

They are a much better side this year than last.

As long as they're not overdoing it... Judd was talking the other week about all the extras he did and how hard he pushed himself in his early years... And how that contributed to his OP. If port are doing 200x200s as mentioned earlier (doubt it's true) then in5 years expect half their list to have OP.

As long as they're not overdoing it... Judd was talking the other week about all the extras he did and how hard he pushed himself in his early years... And how that contributed to his OP. If port are doing 200x200s as mentioned earlier (doubt it's true) then in5 years expect half their list to have OP.

Why would their players lie?

Nathan Buckley used to train an absurd amount infact mid to late 90s and early 00s I reckon they were training harder then. Wasn't until Brisbane said they lessened training loads to be fresh for september and then a new wave of altitude less is more fad kicked in.
Port did 100 x 100m last year I remember Mathew Lloyd did that as a part of his FF training in the late 90s.

Burgo then came in with his flog u in sand dunes like the 80/90s and other teams have been left behind and are now swinging back to the old flog the players again.

You will get some players that will get injuries from it but not all, of more interest is to see how they go in Finals and if they are fresh or tailing off then.

Well acquire Darren Burgess as a fitness coach.. Results??
Apparently Port are trying out a new low carb more fat feed.
Even Young tennis prodigy kokinakis ( close enough) wants to train with Port during a pre-season.
Port are simply pushing more than other Afl teams and even players were falling asleep during running drills during pre-season
Effort and determination.
Burgess also said when he was at Liverpool that EPL players work harder than AFL players so if he has Port training at EPL standard then it is a cut above the rest.

You will get some players that will get injuries from it but not all, of more interest is to see how they go in Finals and if they are fresh or tailing off then.

I may be mistaken, but I think I remember Burgess talking about how AFL fitness was very recovery oriented during the week, and he felt players could be pushed harder at training a during the season. So far, we've actually had far less injuries (touch wood) under this philosophy than our previous regime where players couldn't run out a game.

Getting back to the thread topic, I think it's pretty important of mention that fitness has only been one part of our turnaround. Improved coaching, drafting, player development has also been a big part. It annoys me that every game is now seen as a referendum on our fitness. Teams will knock us off, this season, and it will be due to a combination of many factors.

Not sure if this has been said but while I think they are the fittest team in the comp I think that having so many players that can play as genuine midfielders helps as they are able to rotate so many players through the middle throughout the game giving them more time to rest.

I know most teams rotate players through the middle but Port have players like Wingard and Gray who are probably included in a list of the top 5 small forwards in the comp at the moment that are also gun mids as well as most of their other midfielders being able to rest forward and still be dangerous and hit the scoreboard.

New fitness guy has probably helped immensely too. Will be interesting to see whether or not they can maintain their intensity for the whole season, I hope they do because they've been the best team to watch and I couldn't stand seeing Geelong or Hawthorn winning the flag again, some of their supporters are too cocky for their own good

you call bullshit i was there for it but have no proof but if you want proof on, go on hitchcocks twitter and a few others twitter account and have a look then call bullshit

He has a point. 200 * 200 mts. sounds......................unlikely at best.

Average run would be what 30 seconds? Let's just say, even though that's highly unlikely.
They'd want at least twice that to recover. (at least) So 1 minute.

Total of 1.5 minutes * 200 = 300 minutes.
So you were there 5 hours watching this? How long did it really take?

Just can't imagine the bigger guys getting close to doing this but if they can........Port can't be beat.

He has a point. 200 * 200 mts. sounds......................unlikely at best.

Average run would be what 30 seconds? Let's just say, even though that's highly unlikely.
They'd want at least twice that to recover. (at least) So 1 minute.

Total of 1.5 minutes * 200 = 300 minutes.
So you were there 5 hours watching this? How long did it really take?

Just can't imagine the bigger guys getting close to doing this but if they can........Port can't be beat.

It's a fair effort but it's not like they don't have the time to do it.

Why should he care if he misspells a name?

Because it makes him look like an idiot, when we're on the Internet and it's so easy to check spelling of anything.

It's a common thing that people do on discussion forums, and I've never understood it.

Dont give a flying fook. It's a tennis player and this is irrelevant and off-topic about Port's fitness

You bought the name up originally though...

Can't believe we're still arguing over this 200x200 thing. It's been pretty well documented that we run approximately 80~90kms per week in the pre season. 200x200's is literally a marathon. Burgess sets a bloody hard program no doubt, but he's not going to make them run half their entire weekly load in a single session. Following Hitchcock on social media, the guy likes a joke and a gee up, so I have no doubt it's either that or a typo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the focus on 100s or 200s in this thread is a bit over the top. Those runs would just be one component of their conditioning, not the main.

Determinants of performance
  • 1. Vo2 Max - maximum oxygen uptake (Engine Size - how big is the engine?) This is the ability of the circulatory system to transport oxygen and of the muscular system to extract and use oxygen. Vo2 max is an excellent indicator of aerobic fitness, but a poor predictor of performance within a homogenous group of athletes.
  • 2. Lactate Threshold - (RPM's - how high can you race the engine?) Lactate threshold (LT) is the ability to continue using the aerobic system to replenish ATP at high speeds. It is expressed as power output at LT, velocity of LT or percentage of Vo2 max. LT is one of the best predictors of endurance performance.
  • 3. Economy - (MPG - how many miles per gallon does your engine get?) Economy can be defined as the amount of oxygen that it takes for an individual athlete to go a given speed. More economical athletes will have a lower oxygen cost at a given pace relative to a less economical athlete. This can explain why an athlete with a lower VO2 max can still outperform an athlete with a higher VO2 max. Economy is one of the best predictors of endurance performance.
  • 4. Strength. Strength is defined as the maximum force that can be produced in one all out effort. Muscular endurance is related to being able to maintain a submaximal force repeatedly.

Training Zones
Optimal performance is reached by subjecting the body to specific types of stress in order to elicit specific types of adaptations. Using the Lactate Threshold lactate level or heart-rate, as we have done here, is the most precise way to determine training zones.

Recovery
Intensity: Level 1. Easy, 2-3mmol/L below LT; 30-50 bpm below LT.
Duration: 30 mins. - 1.5 hours.
Objective: This zone is used for warm-up and cool-down periods. Training at this intensity will promote recovery following glycogen-depleting workouts or high intensity intervals and maintain cardiovascular and muscular adaptations. The primary goal of recovery is to deliver O2 and CHO (carbohydrates) back to the muscles.

Endurance
Intensity: Level 2. Moderate, 1-2 mmol/L below LT; 10-30 bpm below LT. Level 1. Easy, 2-3 mmol/L below LT; 25-50 bpm below LT.
Duration: 30 mins. - 3 hours.
Objective: A moderate intensity is the optimum zone for improving endurance adaptations. An easy intensity delivers the same benefits, but more slowly. Training in both of the endurance zones improves the ability to deliver more oxygen to the muscle cell and process more energy from aerobic sources. Specific training adaptations include an increase in the size and number of mitochondria, an increase in myoglobin, increased capillarization, and an increased number of aerobic enzymes. Over two hours = level 1. Under an hour = level 2.

Lactate Threshold
Intensity: Level 3. Moderately high, below LT by 5 bpm, or above LT by 5 bpm.
Duration:
• Tempo: 15 to 60 minute continuous effort at 5 bpm below LT.
• Interval: 5 to 15 minutes at LT and up to 5 bpm over LT.
Objective: Training at this intensity will raise LT as a percentage of Vo2 max as well as increase Vo2 max.

VO2 Max
Intensity: Level 4. High, 1-2 mmol/L above LT or at a heart rate associated with 95% of Vo2 max.
Duration: 3-5 minute intervals with half-time to equal recovery.
Objective: This is the optimum zone for improving Vo2 max. Training adaptations include an increase in stroke volume, an increase in maximal aerobic capacity and improved lactate buffering capacity - go fast, hurt less = go faster.

Intensive Repetitions
Intensity: Level 5. Very high, 2-6 mmol/L above LT.
Duration: Short: 30-60 seconds with complete recovery.
Long: 1-2 minutes with complete recovery.
Objective: Training at this zone generally only occurs for a few weeks prior to a major competitive event and increases anaerobic capacity and buffering ability.

Speed
Intensity: Depends on amount of rest taken between and number of repetitions.
Duration: Short. 10-20 seconds generally with full recovery.
Objective: Develops technique and use of dynamic, powerful motions.

Last edited:
I dont think its just fitness

In that last qtr yesterday - when at one stage they kicked 5 goals 5 pts to nothing- i think they had 3 main things going for them

Fitness

Playing at home in a new stadium with a parochial large crowd behind them ( that would lift any team)

Having been down and nearly out for the last 5-6 years -and now on top of the ladder- and wanting to stay there

They have also managed to accumulate a number of very highly skilled midfielders over a period of a few drafts, many of them very high draft picks. While that doesn't necessarily equate to turning into a top player, it's often a good start. The fact that they were so dreadful under Primus obscured the fact that they already had Boak and Hartlett on their list (injuries to those two was a factor too). Throw in Wingard and Wines as a direct result of the Primus years, plus their ability to snare Ebert and Polec for trade value far less than their original draft positions but who are now playing at the level expected of those draft positions, and they have accumulated a lot of midfield quality.

Last year the Port Big Footy board sponsored Matthew Broadbent. We had a dinner with him at The Port Club one night mid season and Tom Jonas attended and about 15 or half the big footy contributors attend. After dinner we re arranged the tables and had a bit of a Q&A session with the players. Tommy Jonas spent about 15 minutes talking about what Burgess had brought to the club and his management system that tracked and monitored the players work load. Jonas said the system would predict when the players would peak and trough and when players were reaching breaking point. Jonas was in awe of Burgess and the fitness team that had been assembled after the 2012 season appointments.

Because it makes him look like an idiot, when we're on the Internet and it's so easy to check spelling of anything.

It's a common thing that people do on discussion forums, and I've never understood it.

You bought the name up originally though...
You might be surprised that things you take for granted like opening another tab and doing a google search and a copy & past or whatever are quite challenging to some people. i do IT support and I'm constantly coming across people who are very competent at whatever their job is who literally have no idea about IT. It just makes no sense to them and they have to learn by rote how to do basics that others can work out from first principles.
Also some people genuinely don't care about getting the spelling right provided they get their point across.
at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

OT - super impressed by Port yesterday. I thought our boys were pretty good for most of that game and just couldn't go with them at the end. We were off a 6 day break after a derby which never helps but the Port boys seemed to have another gear left. Their intensity around the contest deep in the 4th was impressive.
Wingard is a freak of nature.

You might be surprised that things you take for granted like opening another tab and doing a google search and a copy & past or whatever are quite challenging to some people. i do IT support and I'm constantly coming across people who are very competent at whatever their job is who literally have no idea about IT. It just makes no sense to them and they have to learn by rote how to do basics that others can work out from first principles.
Also some people genuinely don't care about getting the spelling right provided they get their point across.
at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

If you can manage to post on BigFooty, I think you can manage to open a new tab.

If you can manage to post on BigFooty, I think you can manage to open a new tab.
Not necessarily, as I said people can learn to do things by rote that they are strongly motivated for.
There are a few old timers on bigfooty who have learned to post but can't use a smart phone and are bamboozled by the likes of PM's.
The point is not to presume that things you take for granted are just as easy for everyone.
and the other point I'm making is not to let it bother you.

Not necessarily, as I said people can learn to do things by rote that they are strongly motivated for.
There are a few old timers on bigfooty who have learned to post but can't use a smart phone and are bamboozled by the likes of PM's.
The point is not to presume that things you take for granted are just as easy for everyone.

I just consider those people illogically idiotic.

I just consider those people illogically idiotic.
then don't go into IT support!
I have clients who are competent lawyers and other professionals who have trained themselves to open and edit word documents and use email but take them outside their comfort zone and they are completely lost, they simply have no understanding of how a computer works.
doesn't mean they aren't good lawyers or whatever.
people have different talents and abilities.
the fact it bothers you is about you, not them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back