Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

Port's drafting in recent years

We do need to draft sound body types, no more Russian Roulette picks

Every other club in the league would kill to get hold of Jackson Trengove.

It's a matter of backing in our medical staff, let's hope they do the right stuff for 2011 and beyond for Hartlett, Gray, Salopek & Cornes

Re: Who do we target in this years draft?

Every other club in the league would kill to get hold of Jackson Trengove.

It's a matter of backing in our medical staff, let's hope they do the right stuff for 2011 and beyond for Hartlett, Gray, Salopek & Cornes
You throw enough darts your going to hit something eventually.

Gray is not such a letdown as he was pick 55 or something, so no great loss there.

Hartlett is a vastly different story, that one will hurt for a long time, we screwed up badly.

Butcher is still in the maybe box, to hard to call on that one just yet but was again another high risk pick

Moore is sound in body but can't kick and looks a very average player,how we took him so high will always be a mystery

Still not convinced on Pittard yet, a lot of talk but not much action.

Guys like Harding,Nash,Cloke total waste of time,in one year out the next.

Hoff2 second round titanic pick,another one bites the dust.

You can find this sort of thing at other clubs to, the problem is we have not got enough good players on our list to be screwing up year after year
That's why we have not shown any real improvement for some time now
You don't have to draft star players just guys that will play say 18 plus games a year and contribute each week.

We have to many injured and to many playing SANFL

You add it all up and we have dug our own grave.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? or is there just GC and GWS.

While I agree that we have had 3 drafts, in which we have performed particularly badly (2004, 2005, 2007), I wouldn't be so quick to write of Hartlett or Moore. Moore was good IMO for a first year player and has the right attitude and intensity in his game to improve his weaknesses (namely his tendency for inexplicable kick clangers). He also boasts a record of having played in six wins in his first seven games - not bad considering we lost nine games in a row during his inaugural season.

Gray is not such a letdown as he was pick 55 or something, so no great loss there.

Hartlett is a vastly different story, that one will hurt for a long time, we screwed up badly.

Butcher is still in the maybe box, to hard to call on that one just yet but was again another high risk pick

Moore is sound in body but can't kick and looks a very average player,how we took him so high will always be a mystery

Still not convinced on Pittard yet, a lot of talk but not much action.

Guys like Harding,Nash,Cloke total waste of time,in one year out the next.

Hoff2 second round titanic pick,another one bites the dust.

You can find this sort of thing at other clubs to, the problem is we have not got enough good players on our list to be screwing up year after year
You don't have to draft star players just guys that will play say 18 plus games a year and contribute each week.

We have to many injured and to many playing SANFL

You add it all up and we have dug our own grave.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? or is there just GC and GWS.

Very very bad call!
Fair enough to have your concerns about hartlett, I'd give him one more year and if he still has injury issues i would say we made a bad call.

How can you say Moore is going to be an average player? It was his first year and he did show something near the end. And of course your not convinced on pittard, he hasnt even played yet. These players will need time to develop.

I think these youngsters are quite exiting and we will soon get the rewards

Broke a few panes in your glasshouse there ... ;)

And be consigned to perpetual mediocrity. Name one premiership team that didn't have any star players. Triple points for naming a premiership team without a star player(s) from the last decade.

Way too early to write off Hartlett and our first year high draft pick players in Butcher, Moore and Pittard.

Very very bad call!
Fair enough to have your concerns about hartlett, I'd give him one more year and if he still has injury issues i would say we made a bad call.

How can you say Moore is going to be an average player? It was his first year and he did show something near the end. And of course your not convinced on pittard, he hasnt even played yet. These players will need time to develop.

I think these youngsters are quite exiting and we will soon get the rewards

Really only 1 more year? Isn't he only 19. If Hartlett played 100 games for us over 10 years, but helped us to two premierships, would you be happy with the drafting of Hamish or would you be disappointed? I would be happy. He needs to be judge in 3 more years, not the next 1 year. These guys are young boys becoming men, not men yet, let their bodies adjust. He is professional enough through his interviews I have heard to prepare his body in the best way to stay fit, I have faith. I would expect 1 soft tissue injury from him next season.

Really only 1 more year? Isn't he only 19. If Hartlett played 100 games for us over 10 years, but helped us to two premierships, would you be happy with the drafting of Hamish or would you be disappointed? I would be happy. He needs to be judge in 3 more years, not the next 1 year. These guys are young boys becoming men, not men yet, let their bodies adjust. He is professional enough through his interviews I have heard to prepare his body in the best way to stay fit, I have faith. I would expect 1 soft tissue injury from him next season.

yeah that's fair enough. I'm just saying if he doesn't show any improvement he doesn't look like becoming a 100 game player and i think we would want more than 100 games over 10 years. But yes he is still young and there is plenty of time

Harttlet is a gun. He will eventually get his body right. Kids opften do too much in their early years but clubs who are professional and patient usually get their in the end.

Harttlet is a gun. He will eventually get his body right. Kids opften do too much in their early years but clubs who are professional and patient usually get their in the end.

TOO right and well spotted.

I see a lot of similarities between Hartlett and a young Russell Ebert, only Hartlett could kick straighter (according to Fos Williams assessment of Ebert) but of course Ebert did not suffer the same soft tissue injuries. Mind you, Hartlett probably wouldn't have either given the speed of the game in the 70s.

Russell Ebert - 183cm and 82.5kg at the age of 20
Hamish Hartlett - 184, and 80kg at the age of 20

If Hartlett retires at PAFC with half the achievement and recognition as Ebert; we will all be very happy supporters!!

If Hartlett retires at PAFC with half the achievement and recognition as Ebert; we will all be very happy supporters!!

Personally I wouldn't be all that stoked if he landed 3 or 4 SANFL Premierships xD

i hate how people start on about our taking players with injury concerns. im not sure we even have what would be called a history. did gray show any signs before he was drafted? from what i know had an injury and missed draft camp, but never heard anything beyond that. any team in the league would trade their pick 55 ( i think it might have been later) for infinity to get gray.

butcher, had reports he played through injury. was a thumb i think? or was it a hip? meh, not exactly injury prone. most players would have some level of something at almost any stage. sal has a history, one or 2 incidents is not injury prone.

hartlett, im not sure if he was injury prone or not, but from what ive seen is already our best kick, and elite in that level in the league.

sal, injury prone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A "Gun" with no bullets

We can only be thankful that you do not have anything to do with list management at the PAFC.

To essentially write-off players after 1-3 seasons in just nonsense, and it will be an easy cop-out for you if they come good - you can't always have a glass half-empty approach and then lap up the future success when the players mentioned have had a reasonable chance to perform after getting appropriate conditioning and experience.

And be consigned to perpetual mediocrity. Name one premiership team that didn't have any star players. Triple points for naming a premiership team without a star player(s) from the last decade.

Way too early to write off Hartlett and our first year high draft pick players in Butcher, Moore and Pittard.
Moore was taken way to high ,you cant honestly tell me he is worthy of a top ten selection...we over paid heaps.
Butcher as i said was and still is a risk...you think he dropped that low in a year because of a bad sun tan?

Pittard has shown not enough to get a regular gig in the SANFL leauge while guys drafted after him like Bastinac,Fyfe,Stevens,Carlisle are playing some AFL NOW....some even on a regular basis:eek:

Hartlett i'm not even going to comment on anymore....its just pointless.

Moore played with OP all of last year,

Still has a slight case now due to the intense training load last year.

He will come good ;).

We can only be thankful that you do not have anything to do with list management at the PAFC.

To essentially write-off players after 1-3 seasons in just nonsense, and it will be an easy cop-out for you if they come good - you can't always have a glass half-empty approach and then lap up the future success when the players mentioned have had a reasonable chance to perform after getting appropriate conditioning and experience.
They have done a great job over the last 5 years...:rolleyes:
Glad your happy with mediocrity:thumbsu:
Repeat your post in 12 months time you can spin it all over again;)

They have done a great job over the last 5 years...:rolleyes:
Glad your happy with mediocrity:thumbsu:
Repeat your post in 12 months time you can spin it all over again;)

Great use of emoticons;):confused:

Moore was taken way to high ,you cant honestly tell me he is worthy of a top ten selection...we over paid heaps.
Butcher as i said was and still is a risk...you think he dropped that low in a year because of a bad sun tan?

Pittard has shown not enough to get a regular gig in the SANFL leauge while guys drafted after him like Bastinac,Fyfe,Stevens,Carlisle are playing some AFL NOW....some even on a regular basis:eek:

So........if they're not champions after one season we delist them?

Butcher dropped "that low" because clubs above us wanted mids.

Moore played with OP all of last year,

Still has a slight case now due to the intense training load last year.

He will come good ;).
Oh that's nice to know...our pick 9 draft who cant kick to save his life has OP....:thumbsu:
We really need to get Medibank Private as a sponsor for next year, our players can take turns doing I feel better now commercials

We weren't the only ones who rated both Moore and JMP

Scotty Clayton rated both, in particular JMP

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=87508

Scott Clayton's top 15 draft prospects
Jack Trengove
Tom Scully
Dustin Martin
Anthony Morabito
Ben Cunnington
Gary Rohan
Lewis Jetta
Jake Melksham
John Butcher
Andrew Moore
Daniel Talia
Aaron Black
Jasper McMillan-Pittard
Brad Sheppard
Kane Lucas

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=87508

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/11/23/124381_geelong_sports.html

"Scotty rates Jasper in the top 10 in this week's draft ....," Turner said.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/11/23/124381_geelong_sports.html

Great use of emoticons;):confused:
We had this chat 12 months ago and nothing much has changed in a year
If anything its got worse,but feel free to come back again in 12 months and tell me again that i'm wrong.

If your not already on the payroll down there you should be on the gate handing out Rose colored glasses :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I acually have hope in Hartlett and Moore

I see Butcher as medium to high risk as talls take a while to perform

I haven't seen much from Pittard but give it time

I think our real risk is keeping Trengove, Gray, Hartlett, Boak etc together. I feel the lure of clubs that can pay 100% of their salary cap will be too great

We weren't the only ones who rated both Moore and JMP

Scotty Clayton rated both, in particular JMP
We don't need to be drafting PROJECT players in the top 20....we should be drafting playing players because once GC and GWS come in these top 10 draft picks are not going to be around for middle of the road teams like ours.
You don't get a lot of chances so you have to make em count.
We need to target a SOUND BODY Footballer that will make some impact at AFL level in a year players...example Jack Darling not SANFL RESERVES players that don't even look close to playing .

The best thing that has ever happened to the sanfl is port adelaide drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back