Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, so you're measuring `get the ball in' as being Inside 50. Presumably on the basis of the ball generally being in the centre of the ground, so therefore Inside 50 means the ball is with your half forwards, and if we aren't getting the ball in there enough its because of midfield.

But our actual default position in 2011 was to be pissing around the ball at half back. Our 2011 team structure does not match up with markings on the field, so the stats are skewed - in fact, for Port 2011, getting the ball inside 50 is our equivalent of getting the ball to your full forward in a proper team.

If we have a proper forward structure, and we leave it in place rather than pull it all back to the defensive 50, we can increase our inside 50s by having actual targets inside 50 to get it to. To have a proper forward structure, we need two good key forwards, whereas in 2012 we had Jay Schulz (16 games only) and John Butcher (4 games in total). Thats not even a full season of having one proper key forward, but we should keep getting midfield? No.

Re: Power SANFL - Round 2

Moore is a real worry. He should be tearing it up at that level.

For our 2009 Draft, they REALLY need to make an impact this year. Here's some players we missed out on when we went with Moore (13 games @ 9 disposals per game... ouch) and Pittard.

- Melksham
- Menzel
- Fyfe
- Bastinac
- Duncan
- Christensen
- Vardy
- Sam Reid

Now a lot of these were overlooked by a lot of teams. But when we go in with 3 first round picks, you'd hope to get at least a fair bit of output from them. Pittard gets a pass cos he's picked up a Rising Star nom and has had a bad run with injuries. But Moore... when's he gonna show something? Seriously has never looked like a top 10 pick.

PS: How goddamn well did Geelong clean up their 2009 draft. Jesus.

Moore is a major concern. Melksham was the smart and obvious choice. We needed a genuine midfielder.

Bernie Nips said:
- Melksham
- Menzel
- Fyfe
- Bastinac
- Duncan
- Christensen
- Vardy
- Sam Reid

EFA.

If I could change one off-field decision we've made this millennium, it would be drafting Moore (and to a lesser extent Pittard) over Fyfe. He'll be the best player in the competition in 5 years IMO. If we'd traded Burgoyne and ended up with Fyfe from the picks we received, that would've been one of our best ever trades. The fact that we had two chances to pick him and didn't, and the jury is still well and truly out on the guys we did pick, is just depressing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there is no guarantee that Fyfe, Melksham or any other player that we could have picked would have blossomed at our club the way they have at the ones they are at now. But I do remember that we were meant to be a lock for Melksham and Butcher until the eve of the draft - Moore was another one of Choco's 'surprise' picks that no one saw coming.

Thank god we seem to be now going down the route of what is expected instead of trying to be too clever by half - on and off the field.

Only WC and Freo knew how good Fyfe was tho. Not much we could do. Need to try and hide the SA kids better.

Guaranteed Moore is being used as a utility to plug holes for some shitty reserves team instead of playing where we want him to.

Janus said:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing,

I know hindsight drafting is a stupid thing to be fretting about, and I know that if we hadn't gone for Moore we would've picked Melksham, and I know that even Freo picking him as high as 20 surprised some good judges, but every time I see Fyfe play I can't help but forget about all of these logical thoughts and just really, really wish we had him.

Also remember that Fyfe was a massive bolter. I don't think he was even in his high schools 1st's until year 12. It wasn't until his epic Colts grand final that he was considered a highish draft pick. Also he was listed at about 185cm when he was drafted but I remember last year Jakovich intervied him before a game and he was the same height at about 193cm...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but there is no guarantee that Fyfe, Melksham or any other player that we could have picked would have blossomed at our club the way they have at the ones they are at now. But I do remember that we were meant to be a lock for Melksham and Butcher until the eve of the draft - Moore was another one of Choco's 'surprise' picks that no one saw coming.

Thank god we seem to be now going down the route of what is expected instead of trying to be too clever by half - on and off the field.

Absolute rubbish

Absolute rubbish

Yep, this talk of Moore and even Pittard being some sort of draft day bolters is a myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say that and as I said earlier in this thread Matt Burgan had Moore selected at 15 in his phantom draft with a range from 10-17.

Emma Quayle had him going at 10 just behind Melksham at 9.

He was in contention as a top 10 pick for plenty of time post-season when people thought about it.

You say that, but look through our thread of the day and see how long it takes for Moore to come up as an option.

And look how much Tapscott and Panos are mentioned as our two first picks?

Moore is going to come good.

I say that and as I said earlier in this thread Matt Burgan had Moore selected at 15 in his phantom draft with a range from 10-17.

Emma Quayle had him going at 10 just behind Melksham at 9.

He was in contention as a top 10 pick for plenty of time post-season when people thought about it.
I guess we need to distinguish between `should go around here' and `should go to Port around here'. Unlike generic drafters, we had needs, which is why most people were expecting someone like Melksham (or a KPP)

Also remember that Fyfe was a massive bolter. I don't think he was even in his high schools 1st's until year 12. It wasn't until his epic Colts grand final that he was considered a highish draft pick. Also he was listed at about 185cm when he was drafted but I remember last year Jakovich intervied him before a game and he was the same height at about 193cm...
Didn't somebody tell the Freo recruiting staff that if they didn't pick Fyfe they would "regret it for the next decade" Sounds a bit better than a pick 20 or so on that description. And for a guy who has elite fitness and racked up 25+ touches a game in his 2nd year in the AFL he spent a lot of time forward as a junior (He was compared to Brett Burton before the draft).

Something not right about it.

Essendon has been dodgy as well... Heppell and Kavanagh slipped a long way.

If we look back through the off season threads that year then pretty much the first thing we all wanted was a pure midfielder. Its what everybody viewed as a prerequisite to draft day. The fact we ended up - following the Choco tradition - of picking a couple of flankers with the view of turning them into midfielders was a bit of a disappointment at the time. Pittard looks to have real talent. Butch we needed and is a star.

I do have doubts on Moore though. Poor kick, doesnt seem to have a position, struggles to dominate at lower levels. I really hope he comes good, but after all the talk pre season of him being the standout trainer, the standout performer, for him to be stuck in the SANFL reserves again isnt a good situation.

Didn't somebody tell the Freo recruiting staff that if they didn't pick Fyfe they would "regret it for the next decade" Sounds a bit better than a pick 20 or so on that description. And for a guy who has elite fitness and racked up 25+ touches a game in his 2nd year in the AFL he spent a lot of time forward as a junior (He was compared to Brett Burton before the draft).

Something not right about it.

Essendon has been dodgy as well... Heppell and Kavanagh slipped a long way.

What about Nic Nat slipping? :eek:

I guess we need to distinguish between `should go around here' and `should go to Port around here'. Unlike generic drafters, we had needs, which is why most people were expecting someone like Melksham (or a KPP)

Fair play. And at the time I was keen on Melksham.

i think moore has the tools to make it, and port now look like having the luxury of waiting. will have to push someone out the side not get a walk in.

obviously we need to examine what his role is in the lower levels cause ive seen him played as a stay at home defender ( which he isnt and we dont want that ) and a deep forward. where-ever he gets put we need him to work up the ground and get involved repeatedly in the play. needs to be sat down in the clockwork orange brainwash chair and played footage of guys like swan just to see the ways he keeps involved in the play.

Didn't gary Hocking have a say in Pittard being being drafted, he had nothing but praise for him, i don't think he was a "surprise draft pick"

i do say that we are being a bit harsh on him just yet ( just a touch) and i want him given a chance that there will come a time when the balancing point of still has trade currency vs still keep persevering will just be in our favour.

who knows maybe the club has alot of faith and sees something we havent yet had the opportunity to, which is possible given our differing proximity.

i love the size and run of the lad, so i hope he can make it for us.

i honestly do think he can make it as an afl footballer given time and work, but i dont see a massive need for him at our club so much so that we couldnt afford to move him on at years end if we thought we could get something good in return and he was happy... obviously there would be a certain point where if the offers were not good enough you would persevere with him.

Guys i think we're forgettin what SANFL club Moore plays for

North, where AFL careers go to die

See how good D Stewart has been in the past 7 months with no help from are friends down at North Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back