Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

Get rid of Primus and get someone that owns a big rubbish truck cos we have more trash than a years supply of The Advertiser.
No, we lack midfielders and unfortunately we chose the wrong time to bottom out. 2007 hurt us in more ways than one.
If GCS and GWS didn't exist, we may have recruited 3 or 4 gun midfielders in the last couple of years we would be fine.

Get rid of Primus and get someone that owns a big rubbish truck cos we have more trash than a years supply of The Advertiser.

Damage was done well before Primus took over as senior coach.

You could argue we've recruited the players we should have been recruiting earlier since Primus has arrived.

Hindsight is everything, but in addition to the Moore/Pittard selections, we may have missed some golden opportunities with the following:

1. Not making a play for Sam Jacobs after he monstered Sydney when playing for Carlton in an away final. (Scott Thompson stuff-up all over again).

2. Overlooking Rory Sloane for both Broadbent and Banner.

3. Overlooking Luke Parker for all of Ben Jacobs, Aaron Young and Ben Newton.

4. Missing out on Craig Bird!!!!!!!!!

Each of the guys we got will play some decent footy, but those three are players who I would love to have in our team in place of the guys we took.

With our later picks we need to draft pure midfielders who simply know how to find the footy. Dont need to be huge or have blistering pace. Just hard workers who know where to run and can use the ball ok

No, we lack midfielders and unfortunately we chose the wrong time to bottom out. 2007 hurt us in more ways than one.
If GCS and GWS didn't exist, we may have recruited 3 or 4 gun midfielders in the last couple of years we would be fine.
We lack midfielders because we pick up to many flanker types or just try and turn everyone into a flanker type.
We pass up on players even lame big footy posters can see have what it takes to play AFL and the club drafts guys that struggle playing local footy.

you know how something is SO funny, that it hurts?

like how you go to youtube and type in Chimp does frog and its so funny you fall over and have to slap the ground

and your stomach hurts, and tears come from your eyes, and snot drips out, and then friends laugh, and it goes on again

and then you go to kermits reaction to chimp and frog and lose it again, and even a bit if wee slips out, but you can't see clearly because the emotion wells up, and your stomach is SO tight it hurts. it physically hurts.

yeah, well thats kinda how i feel seeing how we paid draft picks in teh 30s for the likes of Renouf, Pfeiffer and Mccartney

i got the wee, the snot, the stomach pain, the cramps, the nausea, the sweats

what. the. snuck. did. we. draft them for.

words fail me

kermits reaction (first 15 seconds only) speak for me

i am in shock. i am curled up in a ball under the table typing this with a stock protruding from the head band i stole from my poor sister with ms she uses to type with.

on what planet did we think recruiting them would be a winner.

b0ydman said:
yeah, well thats kinda how i feel seeing how we paid draft picks in teh 30s for the likes of Renouf, Pfeiffer and Mccartney

No we didn't. We did for Renouf (stupid move) but not the other two.

Although, if we didn't get Renouf, we would have gone into this season with one recognized ruck, as Lobbe is still injured. Would have been 2011 all over again.

That's all that I comfort myself with, anyway.

sorry gopower, here comes your Kermit moment.

unless the AFl allows us 2 extra team roster positions out there then we paid for them

doesnt matter how we get them

when you see that luke dahlhause and others are rookie picks, you don't waste a rookie pick by saying they cost nothing

im saying we could have re-rookied matthew westhof and the impact wouldnt be much less. well, anyway, point made

yes. whether draft, pds, rookie, trade, if they are on your primary or rookie list, you chose them ahead of someone else you could have taken

the other point is, i'd rather see redden or lobbe or anyone else out there in ruck

ditto mccartney. seen enough. good trier, but wont be a star and is 1 sided. why did we bother.

ditto pfeifer. good trier, honest player, just not fast enough. period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although, if we didn't get Renouf, we would have gone into this season with one recognized ruck, as Lobbe is still injured. Would have been 2011 all over again.

That's all that I comfort myself with, anyway.

Insurance policy - Lobbe had what 10 games experience and Redden was untried. The ruck was a gaping hole in our list that needed plugging urgently.

Don't buy it.

It isn't possible to look more out of your depth than Renouf did tonight, we could have kept Bass as a backup ruck. He had a big tank and competes hard too.

It's covering old ground. Why Renouf and not a mature ruck from a lower league? Renouf had 50 games experience and was a known entity at AFL level. The club had decided to get an AFL experienced ruckman and it ended up being Renouf. Rightly or wrongly, another unknown quantity wasn't going to fly.

It frustrates me how at the end of 2010 Primus won 5 out of his last 7 and although an easy run we had all these kids who looked to have so much upside. We had Salopek out of contract, Essendon were in talks with him in 2010 so we signed him only to change ten-fold last year by saying we are going for a youth policy etc etc. If we were going to do to him last year what we done to him we should have traded him, as well as Cornes and Brogan before 2011. Salopek is now ruined goods and be lucky to play for us again. I and many other supporters believed we could finish top 8 last year at the start of the year and then we had all these stupid policies, we lost stability and we developed a losing mentality. I don't care if we are 14th or 3rd we must play the best team each week, last year we did the opposite and now we have killed the confidence of this side. 2012 there is slight improvement but we just play players in the wrong positions, either play them where they should be or don't play them at all.
I will never forgive Primus for the Gold Coast game, his arrogance after that Showdown win and being 40 points up at three quarter time, he should have been cut loose then. How can all our early draft picks and kids be nearly two years under Primus yet at the start of 2011 we had high expectations and now the Club thinks it would be successful if we finished anywhere between 8th-12th?
If we were the Port Adelaide of old, we'd be making people accountable but it seems that we are satisfied with mediocrity.
Everyone will disagree with me here but we need guys on our list like Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan etc, they provided leadership and passion and were part of a successful era of our club. Tredrea's may have not been a star towards the end of his career but even when he had a presence under Dom's captaincy we were 5-2 and he went down and we lost 9 zip, we lack experience and it baffles me how we just ignored this and expect the kids to improve with no direction.
Ahh, I have gone on, a few too many beers buch just very frustrated as to what has happened over the last couple of years.

No need to spend pick 33 on an insurance policy. Orren Stephenson says hi.

Maybe insurance policy isn't the right term - the club wouldn't have used pick 33 if they didn't intend on playing him regularly.

Everyone will disagree with me here but we need guys on our list like Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan etc, they provided leadership and passion and were part of a successful era of our club.

Chad and Brogan didn't play this weekend for GWS and in any case are absolutely not the players we need at the moment.

Chad and Brogan didn't play this weekend for GWS and in any case are absolutely not the players we need at the moment.

It was from an experience perspective, I would have preferred Brogan out there over Renouf today and in hindsight preferred we saved pick #23. Chad is debatable, but his passion and experience is one thing we lack.
From an injury perspective, our drafting/trading policy has been taking risks on injured players for a few years now, I seen no harm in having Brogan around and having our guys walk taller.

Brogan retired, didn't he?
IIRC he was thinking of retiring in 2010. GWS made him an offer he couldn't refuse. It had nothing to do with Port.

Re: Draft Prospects

Honestly see us getting pick 1 and 4 so good quality there. That second round compensation pick would of been reeeeal handy this year as well, thanks, instead we have Phillips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back