Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hah! Start playing about R15 each year, play in 4 successive GFs and win 3. I'll take that.
Erh Aaron Keating only won 1 and the 1997 flag was his 3rd game and then played 3 more next year before getting the arse.

Mr September Clarke, is in a special category all of his own, playing 4 or 5 games during the year and then getting back in time for September.

Erh Aaron Keating only won 1 and the 1997 flag was his 3rd game and then played 3 more next year before getting the arse.

Mr September Clarke, is in a special category all of his own, playing 4 or 5 games during the year and then getting back in time for September.
Flip! Yes, Clark Keating, not Aaron. :oops:

I feel that Lobbe, much like the rest of the midfield in 2015, was as much a victim of poor coaching and mixed messages, as they were of their own poor form.

Hopefully the restructuring of the coaching panel and a clearer game plan, with some added aggression that we saw in the latter third of the year, will have us working harder and smarter at stoppages.
Tend to agree.

20-12-12-11.

Wasn't as bad as I remembered.

20-12-12-11.

Wasn't as bad as I remembered.
So net of September, 17-9-8-8. I knew 2001 was a decent year but I was pretty sure 1 year he had 4 games in April and the 1 or August before finals. Looks like I got iit round the other way in 2004 2 in April, 4 in August and Rds 8 and 9, pissing off most of the winter months. 2003 he started in Rd 15.

Ryder's tap work is at times breathtakingly good. Lobbe is not even in the same league for ruck work but if he is consistent and competitive he can still be a very effective player.

I am curious to see how he will go after training with Ryder for the last year or so. From memory wasn't Lobbe injured last year and playing most of the year injured?

I am curious to see how he will go after training with Ryder for the last year or so. From memory wasn't Lobbe injured last year and playing most of the year injured?
Got injured late in the preseason missed first 3 games and had a slow start getting into it and was reasonable when Paddy missed 3 or 4 games. But he was sort of tunneled in a ruck thrown in, an accident, early in the game against Collingwood and struggled with a back as a result for the rest of the year and missed Rd 20 and 21. Paddy thrived in those 2 games.

Paddy by himself 1-2 (Rds 1,2,3)
Lobbe by himself 2-2 (Rds 9,10,11,12)
Paddy by himself 2-0 (Rds 20,21)

Together 7-6 first time 2-3, second time 3-3, third time 2-0

Got injured late in the preseason missed first 3 games and had a slow start getting into it and was reasonable when Paddy missed 3 or 4 games. But he was sort of tunneled in a ruck thrown in, an accident, early in the game against Collingwood and struggled with a back as a result for the rest of the year and missed Rd 20 and 21. Paddy thrived in those 2 games.

Cheers REH.

On top of that he had been punishing his body for 2 years prior being the main ruck ? I have a feeling he will surprise many this season, Fit, full pre season and especially now he knows he will be the main man.

Injuries aside, Frampton should play every NAB cup game this year IMO, and play the first two as #1 ruck. Give him a taste of AFL without putting premiership points at risk. He'll probably need to play at least a few AFL games this year, so this is the best thing we can do to fast-track him in the circumstances.

Injuries aside, Frampton should play every NAB cup game this year IMO, and play the first two as #1 ruck. Give him a taste of AFL without putting premiership points at risk. He'll probably need to play at least a few AFL games this year, so this is the best thing we can do to fast-track him in the circumstances.

Yep - said this the other day.

Needs to be fast tracked with as much pre season game time as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant wait to yell BBF

Paddy by himself 1-2 (Rds 1,2,3)
Lobbe by himself 2-2 (Rds 9,10,11,12)
Paddy by himself 2-0 (Rds 20,21)

Together 7-6 first time 2-3, second time 3-3, third time 2-0
What's important is looking at the teams Port lost to and defeated in those times.

Lobbe-by-himself-Port was flaccid and inept.

Lobbe-by-himself-Port was flaccid and inept.

Round 9 vs Melbourne, Lobbe vs Jake Spencer 45 hitouts to 39 (Jake who?)

Round 10 vs Western Bulldogs, Lobbe vs Will Minson & Jordon Roughead, 44 hitouts to 40 and 19.

Round 11 vs Geelong, Lobbe vs Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs & Josh Walker, 52 hitouts to 24, 20 and 16.

Round 12 vs Carlton, Lobbe vs Matthew Kruezer & Cameron Wood, 42 hitouts to 17 and 12.

It was the Geelong game where Lobbe got really spanked in that the Geelong trio used Blicavs as a 3rd man up to devastating effect. We had no answer to it, and it's something that they'll look to do again when we play them in round 5.

Didn't he play in the SANFL those weeks? He didn't miss a game for injury. He was simply out of form and a liability to the team.

Round 9 vs Melbourne, Lobbe vs Jake Spencer 45 hitouts to 39 (Jake who?)

Round 10 vs Western Bulldogs, Lobbe vs Will Minson & Jordon Roughead, 44 hitouts to 40 and 19.

Round 11 vs Geelong, Lobbe vs Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs & Josh Walker, 52 hitouts to 24, 20 and 16.

Round 12 vs Carlton, Lobbe vs Matthew Kruezer & Cameron Wood, 42 hitouts to 17 and 12.

It was the Geelong game where Lobbe got really spanked in that the Geelong trio used Blicavs as a 3rd man up to devastating effect. We had no answer to it, and it's something that they'll look to do again when we play them in round 5.
If hitouts isn't the most useless stat going around I don't know what is. Lobbe gets hitouts .... and that's it. That is literally it. And those hit outs are no good! He ranks very lowly in hit outs *to advantage*...

Won vs Melbourne - yeah Port won but struggled for a large portion of the game against a pretty ordinary side. Clearances +7.
Won vs Western Bulldogs - yeah Port won but the Bullies had a stack of injuries and Port only blew them out late. Clearances -11.
Loss vs Geelong - perhaps the worst game I've ever seen from a ruckman, terrible. Clearances -4.
Loss vs Carlton - Port lost, and ironically I thought this was Lobbe's best game, but still terrible. Clearances -5.

2-2 and the two losses were very ordinary. The two wins were gimmes.

Compare this to when Ryder was the sole ruckman:

Narrow loss Vs Freo away - played great footy. Clearances -11.
Won Vs North Melbourne away - played good footy. Clearances +4.
Won Vs Essendon away - played ok footy. Clearances +3.
Won Vs St Kilda - played good footy. Clearances +10.
Loss Vs Western Bulldogs at Etidad - played poo footy. Clearances +1.
Won Vs GWS - played good footy. Clearances -4.
Won Vs Hawthorn away - played great footy. Clearances +3.

5-2 and one loss was more than credible. Some very good wins.

I know which form line I'd prefer. I repeat, Ryder is a massive out, Lobbe will need to do something pretty spectacular to make up the difference if the rest of the team doesn't lift as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back