Opinion Port's ruck strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

And now Port Adelaide, for the grand total of one season.

It's a good thing we don't double up against any of those sides with two rucks then huh? Honestly, if rucks made a huge difference, West Coast wouldn't have been slaughtered by Hawthorn in the GF last year. Naitanui is probably the best ruck in the competition, and he was useless, because the idea of one position becoming a dominant force is just an excuse for the poor performance of the rest of the team.

Last time I checked, you can't tap a ball to score a goal, so even if the opposition ruck is spoon feeding their midfielders, our mids should be able to rove to that. We should be able to run further and harder than any side that is carrying two lumbering talls - forget trying to focus on what we can't control and focus on what we can. Run their midfield into the ground. Keep possession of the ball and limit the opportunities the opposition have to use this 'advantage'. The AFL wants to reduce congestion and stoppages anyway, so we'll give them what they want.

What the **** happened to the Port Adelaide I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts? This could be the greatest season of our lives...but you're going to let it be the worst.

Yeah we'll be right as long as we're adaptable. Try different combos with the part timers, 3rd man up, shark taps, send in Sam Gray for the lols, whatever it takes to get the job done.

Does it count as a choice if it's your only option? I'm pretty sure Port completely washed their hands of Gorringe after last year's meltdown.

Every one of those guys would be clearly the second best ruckman on our list right now.
Respect your opinion. Not that au fait with the crows rucking depth, but AFL experience is virtually zero much like our own. If a rookie in Hunter is better than any of our second rucking options, then clearly the club has failed in its recruiting in regards to our rucking options.

Stuff Gorringe, I'm glad he isn't at Port. He's nothing more than a self centred p**ck!!
Don't be like that lol..
He went into complete meltdown .. Port this .. Port that ... Port lied to me etc etc etc .. after Port could not get a deal done .. His father was the same.
So that ended that .........hope he is happy at Carton:D and wont get too many:cry::p

The gorringe whinge bag couldn't get a game at the injury struck Suns. Speaks volumes of his attitude and work ethic. I'd rather give somebody like Frampton a run over him any day.

The big difference is that we think of ourselves as a contender whereas the Crows are obviously not a contender. All of the big contenders have two ruckmen. Hawthorn have McEvoy and Ceglar (previously had Hale). West Coast have Naitanui and Lycett (previously had Sinclair). Freo have Sandilands, Clarke and Griffin. Sydney have Sinclair and Tippett (previously had Pyke). The only team that is any good that has one recognised ruckman is North Melbourne.

Yes but every one of those pairs is essentially Lobbe + [insert one of Trengove, Dixon, Westhoff]. Actually I would say with confidence that Dixon, Westhoff and Trengove are far superior to Ceglar, Lycett, Clarke, Griffin and Sinclair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but every one of those pairs is essentially Lobbe + [insert one of Trengove, Dixon, Westhoff]. Actually I would say with confidence that Dixon, Westhoff and Trengove are far superior to Ceglar, Lycett, Clarke, Griffin and Sinclair.

I honestly think ceglar, Lycett, Clarke, Griffin and Sinclair are better rucks lol. But Hoff, Trengove and Dixon are better in their natural positions. So if Lobbe goes down I'd prefer to keep Hoff, Jacko and Dixon in their natural positions and bring in a Sinclair type (from the maggies) to take Lobbes role- a luxury we don't have.

The stage is now set for John Butcher to go hard in the ruck a-la Tommy Hawkins circa 2012 and then become the Power forward marvel we've all dared to dream in our wildest stuck-to-the-sheets kind of dreams that he might become. Maybe...

The stage is now set for John Butcher to go hard in the ruck a-la Tommy Hawkins circa 2012 and then become the Power forward marvel we've all dared to dream in our wildest stuck-to-the-sheets kind of dreams that he might become. Maybe...
The opportunity is there to do this, the hope from us fans that he can is there, just a pesky little thing called reality might stop it.

If he manages to pull it off, in 8 months time we will be saying he was the difference in 2016. But I just dont see it happening. But bloody hell it will be exciting ride if he proves me wrong!

Last edited:
Butcher. Can't. Ruck. He's a key forward. The ruck was the moon to him in the sanfl last season when he was tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back