Review Positives and Negatives Vs Adelaide (R22)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee for me playing the Hawks with a firing NN & Sinclair, a fit Gov (maybe? maybe not?) & Schofield for a spot in the Prelim will be an awesome challenge that I am confident we will meet.

Can't wait!

Not trolling here. The 12:40 pm CST start really appealed to me this week with you guys effectively commencing this game at 10:10 am your time. Maybe a small gain but add that to the natural home ground advantage any decent team gets, i thought it was an unusual and good fixture in our favour.

And yes I was at the game last year when you destroyed us in the middle of the afternoon.

Nah like most on here I'm happy to play the Hawks with the double chance.

The beauty of the finals is you never play a team twice.
Get the Hawks out of the way early. Let Freo have their false hope and play Sydney in the biggest borefest of the decade.

Ummmm yes you can o_O

Not trolling here. The 12:40 pm CST start really appealed to me this week with you guys effectively commencing this game at 10:10 am your time. Maybe a small gain but add that to the natural home ground advantage any decent team gets, i thought it was an unusual and good fixture in our favour.

And yes I was at the game last year when you destroyed us in the middle of the afternoon.
11.10am, but yeh could be one of the reasons we came out flat.

There were quite a few negatives today but the game meant sfa and i aint even mad.

But the one thing that stood out for me is bennel is not afl quality. His running has no purpose, he tries to burst away but has no idea where he is going and just gets in to trouble. There is an extreme lack of composure and i would take butler back there anyday - to eventually be replaced by nelson.

Positive. Scofield is still to come in to this team and if we played adelaide again at home we will destroy them.

11.10am, but yeh could be one of the reasons we came out flat.

Yeh, nah...we've played a couple of early games on the east coast this year and in previous years. Not even close to being a valid excuse...we were off today and Adelaide were too good, simple as that!

On a side note, I think it's a miracle that it has taken until our 21st game of the season for us to really get cut to pieces. Glad it was now and not in two or three weeks time, now we just need to adjust and improve. Would also help if we can get Schoey back on the park...he is crucial to our defence holding up in September.

Yeh, nah...we've played a couple of early games on the east coast this year and in previous years. Not even close to being a valid excuse...we were off today and Adelaide were too good, simple as that!

On a side note, I think it's a miracle that it has taken until our 21st game of the season for us to really get cut to pieces. Glad it was now and not in two or three weeks time, now we just need to adjust and improve. Would also help if we can get Schoey back on the park...he is crucial to our defence holding up in September.
I didn't say it was a valid excuse, I said it could be one reason we started off flat. We were s**t today, whatever way you look at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given what I personally think is the high likelihood of an in-form Port beating Freo in Adelaide next weekend, we basically threw away top spot today. We'd have played the shoddy Swans in the QF, booking our place in a PF and probably to play a tired Freo in the prelim.

I really do think today may have cost us our best chance at the flag.

Praying that Freo beat Port now.

Just out of curiosity, why would you be praying that Freo beat Port next week?

Gee for me playing the Hawks with a firing NN & Sinclair, a fit Gov (maybe? maybe not?) & Schofield for a spot in the Prelim will be an awesome challenge that I am confident we will meet.

Can't wait!

Gee next week better not be like the last round in 2007 where we blew a home final chance, and then just lost to PA away from home.

Very impressive quarter by Adelaide. Did there homework.
Sharked better to nic's work
Really tried to move Priddis out of the space at the drop of the ball
Covered Gaff
Took a leaf out of our own defensive work and closed down kennedys space.
Ran with the pill form the backline
Forwards really maximised to spread to make it harder for our zone defence

To be brutally honest. i personally thought that we were in a lot of trouble when we lost mcKenzie and Brown. Thought we were very open to a team that plays some solid KPP. Like Sydney(who didnt have that when we last played) and in this case Adelaide with 3 very good tall and solid player and two terrifc smalls. The fact that we also timed this for a Gov who really hasnt played much lately and no Schofield then it was understandable to see why Yeo has spent more time down back lately.

What can we do better. Close down the bad decisions and poor disposal out of the backline
Midfield to recover from being led first to the crucial space at the drop.

They were good. Weve been better

The manner in which we were cut up is disappointing, I wasn't too fazed about the result of this one with Saints next week.

But it sure did expose a lot of holes in our structure.
I hope it was just down to the players not being switched on and having some key personnel unavailable.

Fact is it wasn't just the first qtr that we got shown up, it was also in the 3rd and 4th. We never truly corrected our weaknesses and tried to change things up.

Hopefully a positive is that we can look at how teams are likely to try and play against us and we have a couple of weeks to work on it.
I'd always rather play some good teams leading up to finals to give you an idea of what to expect.

A big negative:

Can not stand seeing those assistant coaches walking around with clumsy laptops all the time. Seriously? what is the point of that. At least get an ipad or tablet or something, or maybe a surface pro. The mac laptops are too cumbersome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back