Review Positives and Negatives Vs Adelaide (R22)

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Positive out of today's game is we've gotten a huge kick up the ass. Better to happen now than in the finals.

Well done Adelaide, they played really well. Glad we won't have to travel to Adelaide during the finals whatever the circumstances.

Blaming the umps is weak as piss - i saw some horror decisions that went our way - see gov tackled by tex in the goal sq - behind

We were s**t. end of
i understand its the high road to take by saying "umpiring is no excuse", but from my vantage point we were ******* raped by the umps. Sure the Crows outplayed us in the first quarter and won the game there and then, but the last 3 quarters we matched it with them, and if not for the umpiring we could have gotten the margin a lot closer.

4th quarter alone: NicNat goal was not touched, nor reviewed; Newman goal disallowed because Hill did what exactly..; Darling dragged down by the arms when he was clearly marking the ball 15m out directly in front; HTB against a crows player (cant remember which).

And this was once the game was won. Disgraceful umpiring can be called as such when it is clearly biased. A lot more i could refer to if i rewatched the game but being there live was bad enough. Disgusted with our effort and intensity. Could see the players had given up after the first quarter. The pathetic umpiring was salt in the wound

I didn't think the umpiring had any bearing on the result whatsoever.
This. Adelaide comprehensively beat us all over the park.
overall whether we won or lost? Sure. I agree.

But you cant dispute that the result would have been closer if Nic Nats goal was judged correctly, or reviewed, or if Darlings mark was just judged as chopping the arms, or if Newmans goal wasnt taken off him...

Like I said - kudos for taking the high road and not being seen as a whinger/sook/sore loser and gaining respect or bigfooty cred. But calling a spade a spade.. we were done over by the umps in a big way.

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can you blame him? Freo broke the 100 mark (just) against the Demons. If that's not a cause for celebration I don't know what is.

Flag is in the bag for Freo.
They finally have a trophy in the cabinet at least...

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If Port beat Freo (assuming we beat St Kilda) a win over Adelaide would have seen us finish top.

True, but it does n't matter who wins that game now, does it? Had we won against Adelaide, Freo would have played their full side against Port to make sure they finish on top; they could rest half their side and loose badly now. I think they would have lost either way but us finishing 2nd (or even 4th) may be a better result than finishing on top. I mean if Jenkins can kick 6 against us who knows how many Buddy, Tippet and Co would have kicked against our smaller defence?

Jan 3, 2008
undisclosed.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MUFC.
overall whether we won or lost? Sure. I agree.

But you cant dispute that the result would have been closer if Nic Nats goal was judged correctly, or reviewed, or if Darlings mark was just judged as chopping the arms, or if Newmans goal wasnt taken off him...

Like I said - kudos for taking the high road and not being seen as a whinger/sook/sore loser and gaining respect or bigfooty cred. But calling a spade a spade.. we were done over by the umps in a big way.

We will always get decisions go against us away from home just like we will always get favorable ones at home.

IMO, what you're pointing out is miniscule in the greater scheme of things as we were beaten all over the park and as such, I personally don't care whether we lost that one by 30 points instead of 57 points but each to their own.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't turn up, it happens before finals, Will come out harder against st filda in prep for the Hawks. Ellis, Darling possible rest candidates.

Apex Predators

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Given what I personally think is the high likelihood of an in-form Port beating Freo in Adelaide next weekend, we basically threw away top spot today. We'd have played the shoddy Swans in the QF, booking our place in a PF and probably to play a tired Freo in the prelim.

I really do think today may have cost us our best chance at the flag.

Praying that Freo beat Port now.
Or alternatively, we booked our best chance to beat Hawthorn ... A home final. Beat them and they need to do it the hard way, and we get the easier of the preliminary finals. Plus the speculation about who would have won between port and dockers is now a moot point. Ross Lyon has already indicated he plans to rest players, so the situation has changed and the result next weekend will have no bearing on what might have happened had we won yesterday.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Positives . The lows are never as low as they seem and this game is a reminder just what a great advantage a home game is .
Good experience for Barrass
Even the negatives I can put a slight positive spin on . Adelaide had 22 players and we had about 11 , so many players at once had an off day , but that happens , dust ourselves off and enjoy a great 3- 5 weeks of football to come .
Umpiring wasnt too bad, probably like our home game umpiring , other fans percieve a bias . Fortunately i missed the game ( recorded for later ) but could fast fwd the between plays so heard very little of ricciuto .

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
Not a lot of positives, was at the game and the 1st quarter was indeed strange. Never looked switched on, McGovern dropping easy marks he would normal gobble up, kicking was atrocious, not sure how many times we hit Crows players lace out. Players going at the ball one handed, no real run, anytime a back marked the ball, looked down the field and no one was working to block for someone to run into space, just very odd and goes against what we have done all year. It's taken until Rnd 22 to have our worst loss, with our weakened back line, and in the grand scheme of things didn't cause any dramas with ladder possie. You'd think they'd come out breathing fire next week and secure 2nd spot, which is what is more important. Won't have to leave Perth until GF if we get that far.

I'm in the camp that we likely needed this loss, beat the Saints (well) and load up for two home finals.

Simmo will get the boys hungry again.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Losing the game this way and not finishing on top is a negative. The possibility of Richmond getting thrashed in another Elimination final in Adelaide is definitely a positive.

I want richmond to stalk hawthorn for us

Dunno if the draw works out that way but id like to beat them week one then have richmond knock them out.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There are still some core issues with our midfield. We're such a noticeably poorer team when NN has a poorer day. This is how it's been for 4 years now. Priddis, despite his improvement under Simpson, still fundamentally has the same issue, in that he's never been able to match it with the very best midfielders. Shuey was okay today but not great, Sheed is still young and whilst very impressive he is still a little ways off, Yeo is stranded playing down back, Gaff had an average one, and so on.

Were we flat? Yes. And it's not necessarily indicative of how we'll go for the rest of the year, but when we've had this exact same issue (NN not giving the mids silver service, the opposing midfield getting on top and us not being able to respond, etc) plague our midfield for 4-5 years now, it's still a worrying sign.
I don't think it was our midfiled being flat the pressure put on by Dangefield, Sloan and co was immense Adelaide are a good team so we have to put this loss away learn from it and move on

wing it

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Negatives are obvious. Just an insipid display.

Positives? This:
The Eagles were dealt yet another an injury scare in the second term when key defender Jeremy McGovern, in his return from a hamstring injury, was hit heavily by Crows skipper Taylor Walker.
Simpson said McGovern had a sore AC joint in his shoulder, but if the game held more significance he might have continued playing.
The coach was hopeful McGovern would take his place against the Saints next week.
"That was a precaution – he got a bit of a whack in his AC and we think he's going to be OK," he said.
"He was complaining that he could have kept playing but we did take the precaution on that one.
"He's missed [four of the last six] games, so he was never going to be able to play a full game anyway."

Sigh of relief from me.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
+ Sheed, Shuey, Sheppard

- Shellwood, Shwift, Shmith