Pros
50 point win
Fairly even contribution
Wellingham and Shep in the back line
Sheed showing why we picked him

Negs
We looked flat but was expected from the bye and the Walsh thing
Lecras looked like he'd been on a 2 day bender

+ Wellingham is the best sweeping defender we've had since Wirra. Makes a huge difference to our backline. Picks up the disputed ball cleanly and whisks it away beautifully.

+ I've seen encouraging signs from Sheed before, but I thought that was his first complete game as an AFL player. Inside, outside, attack, defence.

Positives
Contributions across the park
Jack Darling - say no more
Second spot and losses to port and north and GWS and Collingwood - getting some nice separation with a good percentage buffer
Duggan - didn't have a great game, but when he hit up Kennedy, got the hand ball and hit up Darling, I was almost ready to wet my pants.
Sheed - surely our first rising star for a while.
Our back line - Melbourne might have tried to expose them with height, but ...
Wellingham - great season in the making ... Has me thinking we put everyone on a one year contract from now on so that they have to earn a renewal. Well everyone except for Yeo, Nic Nat, Kennedy, Shuey, gaff, McGovern ... I'll keep thinking about this one, I am sure there are flaws to the strategy.

Negatives
Phil Walsh, a former assistant coach of the mighty eagles. RIP. :cry:

Positives:

Shep Unbelievable again. Think he must have swallowed Guy McKenna.
Masten kicking just gets better.
Simpsons insistence on using the corridor has resulted in 300% better kicking efficiency to our lead up forwards.
Marking ability of our small defenders.
Darling kicking for goal.
Hills tribute to Walsh.
Belief. Taking the game on at every opportunity.
All players buying into the game plan and the concentration and persistence in maintaining the structures.
The Phil Walsh tragedy reinforces the fact that Footy is still just a game and foes can come together to jointly acknowledge the more important things in life.
Duggan only had a few possessions but ended up with 100% DE

Negatives:

Phil Walsh tragedy.
Conditions in Darwin could be draining for next weeks game.
Inconsistency in umpiring decisions.
Trying to fit 25 worthy players into a 22 man squad.
Sinclairs inability to keep his feet in a contest. Goes to ground too often.

Last edited:
Positives
Darling was super in those conditions with greasy ball
Nic Nat was influential again
Wellingham, hurn and sheppard read the game well for sweeping defenders
Sheed gets better and better ...looks like he belongs now
Seeing the Darwin people have a good time and enjoy the game
Priddis tackling was super tonight and he was almost like a tagger tonight

Negatives
Fatigue factor for next week ...?This trip and playing on that oval will be taxing for us

This was never going to be an easy assignment ...got the job done and won by 9 goals .....can't be unhappy with that combo really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Shep Unbelievable again. Think he must have swallowed Guy McKenna.
Masten kicking just gets better.
Simpsons insistence on using the corridor has resulted in 300% better kicking efficiency to our lead up forwards.
Marking ability of our small defenders.
Darling kicking for goal.
Hills tribute to Walsh.
Belief. Taking the game on at every opportunity.
All players buying into the game plan and the concentration and persistence in maintaining the structures.
The Phil Walsh tragedy reinforces the fact that Footy is still just a game and foes can come together to jointly acknowledge the more important things in life.
Duggan only had a few possessions but ended up with 100% DE

Negatives:

Phil Walsh tragedy.
Conditions in Darwin could be draining for next weeks game.
Inconsistency in umpiring decisions.
Trying to fit 25 worthy players into a 22 man squad.
Sinclairs inability to keep his feet in a contest. Goes to ground too often.

Trying to fit 25 worthy players into a 22 man squad is a benefit IMO.

impressed by your skill level and kicking inside 50. improved out of sight. also your linking handball is more agressive instead of going in circles to flat footed players. Masten has improved in this area. they look fit and Wellingham looks like a boss in defence atm. on the negative front, I think Sinclair can be exposed when he goes into the ruck, though to be fair Nic nat is a hard standard to maintain or even halve it. Also Selwood is feeling the heat with his disposal. looks jittery with the ball in hand. He has to fight tooth and nail to maintain his spot unless injury helps him out. But overall your team is playing like a well oiled machine. congrats. If you midfield can stay intact/and in form you will be hard to beat in the run home

Not sure on how the Walsh impact has had on the guys so pretty hard to take much out of the game. We won, did everything we needed to. Another win away, even if it was against a lower side, is still invaluable. Keeps us above that logjam below.

Darling played well, it's easy to forget how good his tackling & pressure is for a big guy. Got the results tonight, but he brings others into the game. Get the feeling he's gonna enjoy Duggan, sheed, shuey & yeo feeding it to him for the next 8-10 years.

Wellingham is just so classy at HB. his last 6 weeks has been as good as any in his career.

Back 6 in general, actually. Another game keeping a team under 10 goals.

Sheed looked very good. That goal of his was very clean. Hopefully gets a Rs nomination this week.

Not going to speak so much on negatives, we were flat at times, but after the events of yesterday not surprising.

Pretty good all around to be honest. Even when we were only 2-3 goals up for most of the game we looked classy and clean with the disposals and our kicking efficiency must have been pretty high. When we did turn it over, we got burned on the rebound which has been happening all season long but I can concede that.

The only noticeable negative would be Lecras? Missing targets, dropping marks and wasnt clean in general which is one of his trademark qualities. Hopefully it was a one-off.

Negatives

Preferred it when we were under the radar. Not enjoying commentators dissecting every bit of our play and pointing out our Spiderman web defense.

I really don't think this matters. They're just pointing out what every other club would already be aware of.

How good is having Darling back. 9 goals in his first 3 games back. Our forward line was already the best in the league, and now this guy just comes back and slots right in. Nightmare for opposition coaches.

We also have some fantastic run off the backline now and some great ball users back there.

How good is having Darling back. 9 goals in his first 3 games back. Our forward line was already the best in the league, and now this guy just comes back and slots right in. Nightmare for opposition coaches.

We also have some fantastic run off the backline now and some great ball users back there.

Belted up the highly rated McDonald tonight too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back