Positives & Negatives - Paddle-pop-Lion-licking, round 4

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Nobody else seems to have started one, so I'll kick one off I guess. Mods - apologies if duplicating.

Positives:
- Gov. Self-evident reasons.

- Duggan: I know it's very early days, but that quarter and a half today was a class above everyone else on the field. Short of fitness concerns, I simply don't see a need for him to play in WAFL again.

- The kids more broadly: Sheed continues to do good things. Yeo looks likely. Nelson was down half a point today but still look good (and has some niggle about him). Positive signs there.

- Wellingham has found his rhythm for the first time at the eagles.

- Simpson isn't afraid to move the pieces around. He's not doing it as quickly as we'd always like (see McGinnity, Masten), but Yeo to midfield worked and Hill took the Ginners role and made it work.

- Cripps: the bloke has work ethic, mongrel and skill.

- A good debut from McInnes.

Negatives:
- Overall disposal was terrible. Other teams would belt us around for some of that slop, particularly in Q2.

- I still don't think we're reading the rucks particularly well.

- I wanted a big reply from Masten this week and didn't see it.

- We're at risk of confusing today's win with a good game. It wasn't.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Positives
Played poor but won big anyway. Who said Brisbane had gone past us a few weeks ago?
Yeo and Sheed in the middle. Less reliance on Priddis. Think we will see a slow transition.
Duggan had a great quarter.
McGovern. Not much competition today but still did well.
Cripps. I had my doubts about him before the year but has really taken his game to another level.
Rosa and Butler had good games.

Negatives
Shuey injury.
Schofield was poor today I thought.
Masten didn't really do anything. He is slowly moving to the bottom of the pile in the midfield.

Sep 30, 2012
The suburbs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, Ferrari, Minardi
Positives:

- Duggan played very well for one and a half quarters of footy. Should play the rest of the year barring injury
- At one stage I saw Sheed, Yeo, Duggan at the ball-up. Almost cried a little
- McInness' debut was good. He clunked marks, crashed packs, tackled well and provided a good balance in the team. Should keep his spot.
- McGinnity being dropped and Hill kicking three in his place
- Butler threw his hat into the ring for BOG.
- Naitanui took a pack mark
- Cripps played a good all-round game and rotated around the ground well
- My man Muntz's first AFL goal.
- Gaff kicked right footed a couple of times
- McGovern's game was excellent
- Yeo played solid midfield minutes and got on the scoresheet.

Negatives:
- Shuey getting injured, Cripps struggled a couple of times too
- Masten. Needs to be dropped, did nothing all game
- Disposal and kick-out strategy
- Players not taking the game on sometimes and stuffing up transitions with indecision

WereFlyingHigh4

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, East Perth
Three big positives:
- Yeo was outstanding when in the midfield, broke free from tackles, competed well in the air and tackled well. Looks to be A grader material.
- Duggan. 11 touches in the last quarter. Kept his feet, looked composed and his footskills were on another level. That tackle he did was brilliant too. Also looks to be A grade material. Just needs to add size to his frame.
- Midfield looked different with Yeo and Sheed doing plenty of work. Good to see those two young guys do well. We were less reliant on Priddis and co which was good to see.

West Coast Weasel

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seattle Sonics/OKC Thunder
Positives:
  • McGovern: Played especially well today. Considering the form of our midfield and the fact that our forwards will be starved when we play the big boys, I'd chalk him up as a big chance for the club champion award
  • The kids got to shine. McInnes, Sheed, Duggan and even Lycett had a good run and got plenty of the ball
  • Yeo and Wellingham did well in the midfield and covered for losing Shuey
  • Crpps: Considering he was stung by a sting ray on Friday AND got knocked about today, he was still one of our best.
Negatives:
  • It was Brisbane...
  • Masten was pretty much MIA
  • Schofield was soundly beaten. Wasn't he a good player a few years ago, what happened? The Lions forward line was composed entirely of kids
  • Almost letting Brisbane back into the game 2nd and last quarter
  • Duggan being the sub. Seriously Simmo, what were you thinking? When your playing against kids, you could of at least given ours a full match
  • Shuey injured
  • Watched GWS replay, it'll be a case of back to reality next week

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
duggan has poise and a lovely boot and great awareness - want to see him play a full game and put some of our underperforming mids on notice - if shuey is out next week he should be a lock for a full game

gov

gov

gov

yeo - he bursts out of packs with the ball and gets it to an out side runner - been so long since we have seen this

- we were s**t really

But is that a positive or negative? :p
Hard to read much into the game wasn't it?

Combination of blustery wind and an awful Brisbane made it pretty hard to watch at times.

Like the look of Duggan, but the game was dead by the time he came on. McInnes showed signs and I like Yeo midfield and forward.

Turky

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I missed the game today. ):
So why was Gaff so s**t with 30 disposals 76% disposal Efficiency, 3 clearances and 6 Inside 50's?

salo

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
+
the win - yeah yeah, brisbane are very ordinary but we can only play who we are scheduled and i'd rather not lose these ones.
mcinnes - very solid on debut. i was surprised and impressed. he moves well and kept going all game, starting in the centre square a few times in the last qtr. marked strongly and kicked straight. would like to see him go around again soon before i get too carried away.
yeo - looks like a real point of difference for us at clearances.
sheppard - quietly put together a good game. geez he looks a lot stronger and braver than he did 2 years ago, almost a different player. (gaff is the obvious comparison - hopefully he can make the same strides physically and mentally, it would do his game no harm at all.)
mcgovern - bog. keeper. and apparently indestructible to boot.
duggan - looks so clean and found plenty of it in not much time. hopefully he's ready to go a full game (fitness-wise). would love to see him get shuey's spot next week (if injured.)
sheed - started well enough but dropped off. he looks a really good size to me. worth persevering with.
butler - has his share of detractors on here but played a really good game. he's as good as our depth gets.
nelson - (another) solid performance for a 4th gamer. seems to have a calm head on him.
cripps - having a great year. 11 tackles and a goal on one leg is a big effort.
hill - 3 goals from limited opportunities. he is just silk at times and still bringing the defensive effort. i see no reason he shouldn't be played ahead of mcginnity.
priddis - looked to be making the extra effort to handball to better users, rather than blazing away. hopefully that was the instruction and becomes the trend.
wellingham - i'll add him. seems to be getting his confidence back through being asked to play a defensive role. i don't mind seeing the ball in his hands as he usually uses it well. not going to be the gun we hoped we were getting but is best 22 and can still improve.

-
disposal - blowy conditions, sure, but a 2 metre handball on a sunshiney day needs to find a target.
masten - will not go hard at any contest and is happy to stand back and be shepherded off the loose ball. i saw him stick the one tackle (stat sheet says 3). really going backwards fast in my estimation. if wellingham, bennell etc can get dropped repeatedly for lack of 2-way effort, he must be due soon.
nicnat/lycett - have we overrated this duo? hit-outs to advantage will help our average midfield. good to see them clunk a couple of marks but need more out of them. both are athletic enough to provide more around the ground. get to work coxy!
schofield - i said it elsewhere, but he's just not a kpd. lacks the defensive instinct although his athleticism helps him to close and spoil. his real strengths are in striding out further up the ground but i can't see him playing there this season. i'm a big fan of will. it's a shame we'll probably never get the best out of him.

Last edited:

salo

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I missed the game today. ):
So why was Gaff so s**t with 30 disposals 76% disposal Efficiency, 3 clearances and 6 Inside 50's?

i don't think he's been called s**t. certainly got hold of the pill, probably just not as damaging as he can be and still lacks some strength in the contest. he's coming along well though, imo.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Had to record it but I've just finished watching.
Positives
- I can't remember someone make it look as easy as gov did today. What a champion.
- Duggan. Still early days but today has shown he really was the right draft selection for us.
- Forwards all shared the load despite Kennedy not being as accurate, Cripps playing sore and McInnes playing his first game they managed pretty well. Hill even contributed.
- Wellingham showing good signs he deserves selection in the side.
- Yeo seemed to be involved all game long. No quiet patches.

Negatives
- obviously going to get a lot harder. Our unbeaten streak against the expansion sides might be about to end.
- probably nothing to really worry about but I do worry when Kennedy misses some of the easier set shots. Some of these key forwards form in front of goals goes up and down pretty fast I've noticed.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some people wont like the positives but credit where it's due

Positives:
- Duggan: clean hands, composure, doesn't play like an 18 year old (seems comfortable at stoppages pushing and shoving). He can lay a tackle, he's fast enough because he moves well and gathers cleanly.
- Priddis: played within himself, handballed off and created space with his bigger body, actually saw him defend very well in space (rare)
- Mcgovern: Just old school, he simplifies the game (nicnat could learn), see ball, grab ball .... it doesn't matter who's in the way. Also one of our better kicks on top of that.
- Butler: A lot of people want him gone but he's one of our best kicks (him, hurn, Lecras, Duggan, Hill) when people work for him he'll do what's required, he's very good defensively, very smart footballer, it's such a shame he never got his body right for the midfield.
- Rosa: Always been our best power runner (Masten/Gaff also), he just seemed to be there when we needed him
- Hill: Keep playing like that and the reward will come, if he is surrounded by enough leadership he can be directed out of a bad game. With Lecras, Kennedy and Cripps working better defensively than they have in a long time it's easier for him to follow suit
- Gaff: There was a stage I was getting really annoyed with Gaff giving off stupid handballs when he's such a good kick, took me a while to realise though he was playing as an inside mid the whole game, for someone his size I think he competed very hard for a full game in a position he's not accustomed to
- Sheed: In the first half I thought he was the grunt that kept us in front at the drop of the ball, he shanked one or two but he had good meters gained and seemed composed
- Shuey/Yeo: Grouped together because their positives are the same. Used their skills, didn't wait for the ball, burst through packs, went when it was their turn, great games
- Cripps: Awesome game defensively especially after a bad cork, hada few blind pings when he actually had more time but I'll let him off
- Nelson/Mcinnes: Young players, don't look like it though.

Negatives:
- Lycett: Some piss poor efforts, he just seemed like a big sack of nothing. I thought he had a good sense of playing forward but I didn't see it, some horrible handballs and kicks putting others under pressure.
- Wellingham: Not sure about his game, did some good things but I expect more, his kicking is dodgy as hell, tries to be too cute.
- Masten: Did see some good tackles but his disposal has gone backwards, he's the biggest offender of panic handballs but I'd keep him in the side.

truman

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
POSITIVES

McGovern and Mcinnnes for excellent debut

NEGATIVES

Nic Nat considering he is our most expensive player, no real impact whereas Stefan Martin was involved in a few scoring chains

thekelvin

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Paris
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Paris Saint-Germain
Schofield was soundly beaten. Wasn't he a good player a few years ago, what happened? The Lions forward line was composed entirely of kids

This. What has happened to Schoey?, I really rated the guy around 2011/12. Tall, fast and skillful
Maybe he misses Woosha?

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Definitely playing more shutdown than his normal rebounding 3rd tall defender/small forward defender he's played in the past. The rebound is clearly gone, in fairness though, days like today he wasn't required to rebound, looked to be manning his man quite tightly, possibly instructed to do so. Last week on Pavlich that would definitely have been the case.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Schoey is playing as a lock-down defender - a role that he definitely wasn't playing two-three seasons ago. A couple of his efforts this year have been stellar.

As much as I miss his gallops through the middle, he's holding down a very tough gig in trying circumstances right now. He gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest I didn't take much out of today's game. Brisbane were absolutely woeful but you can only beat the players they put out on the park. McInnes and Duggan were encouraging but we are still making plenty of mistakes and really should have buried them more. They were difficult conditions though.

Back