Review Positives/Negatives V Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Tunners attack on the ball and the man was a sign of a player who wants it and wants to show his worth, showed great fight.

And he showed great marking skills twice, I think he's a talent and it's very pleasing to see someone actually attack the ball with such ferocity.
Initially I thought it was McGinnity going hard at it, and was pleased to see it was Tunners.

I hope he gets a full game and stays in the side for the year.

We didn't find a way to lose, which was nice.
Smith looks a bit more at home up the field, but still much to prove.
Not a good game from Brennan.
A very boring game of footy, but it might have helped Simpson to decide some list management issues...

It was just such a boring game. Considering how close it was I found it to be strange. The lack of crowd atmosphere obviously contributed to it.

Positives
- We won without anyone really starring
- Having the 3 'other' ruckman playing really shows Cox really needs to retire (even though the other 3 didn't star). He won't though (negative).
- Shuey was great in the first quarter (positive), but a couple of times he over ran the ball because he went one handed (negative)
- We can still make the finals. People say this is bad, but really as we sit and how the ladder is set up, the difference in our draft position will only change 3-5 spots irrelevant of how the remaining games go.
- Some of our young guys went ok, not great, but ok.

Negatives
- Sloppy football
- Even after the week rest Nic Nat didn't play well. I remember when he use to jump over people. Now he is only jumping as high as the other guy
- Just uninspiring stuff

Having watched the game live, which makes a big difference to what you do and don't see compared to TV, I offer the following comments:

* You can see elements of what Adam Simpson is trying to install - direct passing, quick ball movement, lower your eyes when kicking the ball into the forward line etc. - but there are times when players go back to their old habits and just employ the 'kick and hope' philosophy no matter where they are on the ground.

* Patrick McGinnity brings a level of desperation to the team that is needed. His tackling is first-class and he was responsible for four goals on the weekend. Yes, there are players more skilled than him but at the moment he is needed for some grunt. He also chases and tackles two, three and four times in one period of play unlike most Eagles players who give up after one half-hearted attempt.

* Luke Shuey and Matt Priddis offer nothing defensively. They are slow to move away from stoppages and rarely pick someone up. One-on-one they get beaten easily and often jog casually to our backline when the ball and loose opposition players have been there for sometime.

* Jacob Brennan should never play AFL again. He is a like a deer in headlights when he gets the ball.

* Sam Butler did okay. He is a calm head in defence and was often put under enormous pressure by his team-mates to clear the ball when he had two or three Brisbane players upon him while on his left foot running towards the boundary.

* Mark Hutchings is a very slow decision maker and needs to improve on this if he is to have an AFL career. Far too often he gets possession of the ball but ignores options A,B and C. By this time everyone is manned up meaning there is only option and that is to kick long to a pack.

* Andrew Gaff does a lot of defensive running and has really improved his game in this area. He is obviously under instructions to play more defensively and is the first midfielder back in defence on most occasions.

* We are a woeful tackling side and need to get a rugby union coach in over the pre-season to work on that aspect of our game.

* Jack Darling should play as a lead-up forward. He is far more suited to this role and it allows Jeremy McGovern, Josh Kennedy and the resting ruckman to fly for the big marks.

* Ash Smith was okay in his first game back and deserves another opportunity.

* We fumble the ball way too much.

* Overall, the statistics associated with a team winning after making six changes are less than 15% so happy to win.

Last edited:
l* Patrick McGinnity brings a level of desperation to the team that is needed. His tackling is first-class and he was responsible for four goals on the weekend. Yes, there are players more skilled than him but at the moment he is needed for some grunt. He also chases and tackles two, three and four times in one period of play unlike most Eagles players who give up after one half-hearted attempt.
Agreed. Not the best disposal but his efforts can not be questioned and they did result in goals.

I think every team needs a McGinnity type, someone who just offers a real desperation and pressure when not with the ball.

Sure we'd love him to have better disposal, but considering 95% of the game is played without the ball in hand, he offers us a great deal of much needed tackling pressure.

* Overall, the statistics associated with a team winning after making six changes are less than 15% so happy to win.

I think this shows the benefits of the East Perth alignment. The players fit right in because they were used to the gameplan and the other players who also came into the side.

I also thought Tunbridge showed a lot. Not because of any angles but because he has a serious leg on him. Anywhere from 65m out he is a danger to score. He adds another dimension to our forward line.

Mcginnity has surprised me this year as i was happy for him to be delisted but he has shown a lot more this year and would be happy for him to stay in the team.

He is a tackle machine but genuinely struggles to hit the scoreboard or other players more than 10 yards away. If other players could tackle he would be redundant.

He is a tackle machine but genuinely struggles to hit the scoreboard or other players more than 10 yards away. If other players could tackle he would be redundant.
It's not about hitting tackles, it's the desperation and 1% efforts that he provides. Pure ruthless aggression; some folk have it, some don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives: We won, away, and got game time into the younger/fringe players. Managed to hold on for the win despite being challenged.

Negatives: It was against the worst team in the league, missing arguably their best player. Horrible game to watch, one really knew that one was watching 11th v 16th or whatever.

Can't shake that groundhog day feeling.

Positives: We won, away, and got game time into the younger/fringe players. Managed to hold on for the win despite being challenged.

Negatives: It was against the worst team in the league, missing arguably their best player. Horrible game to watch, one really knew that one was watching 11th v 16th or whatever.

Can't shake that groundhog day feeling.
2nd worse ;) and was missing their entire first string midfield in Rocky, Redden, Rich, Leuenberger

Thst was one of the more pathetic victories ive watched as an eagles fan - brisbane showed more spirit, hunger and desire than us and onky lost as we had a bit more experience on the park

Could hardly watch that crap

Sheed crashing the gatorade had some part in us holding off in the last quarter I feel

Tunbridge must become a regular in the Eagles side.

Has good intelectual understanding of angles.

Our midfield a few weeks ago will not be the midfield which will get us into the 8,
guys like Tunbridge will be the mids in the near future.

There are not enough likes in the world for a post that botches the spelling of intellectual. Vintage.

Not true, had a direct hand in 4 goals on the weekend, either kicking it himself or as a direct result of his pressure of link up play.

I've been on the fence re: McGinnity for 2015 and beyond, but after his last couple of weeks really hope we offer him another contract - at least for next year.

My, we do love to overrate players who lack skill, decision making, footy smarts, composure and a position…but hey, tackling and pressure and goal assists (against Brisbane) and hard work and determination…and oh * off, McGinnity is a hack that has no place in a team that needs to develop into a premiership contending one. Kudos for him chasing and tackling, I'd expect that from someone whose career is on the line, but when the fact that he's not a footballer's a-hole once again rears it's ugly head, and it will, time and time again, I'll sit back and gently shake my head.

My, we do love to overrate players who lack skill, decision making, footy smarts, composure and a position…but hey, tackling and pressure and goal assists (against Brisbane) and hard work and determination…and oh **** off, McGinnity is a hack that has no place in a team that needs to develop into a premiership contending one. Kudos for him chasing and tackling, I'd expect that from someone whose career is on the line, but when the fact that he's not a footballer's a-hole once again rears it's ugly head, and it will, time and time again, I'll sit back and gently shake my head.
Sadly I agree, it is more of a representation of the state of our list than the player himself. I would happily see McGinnity in the reserves, or even not on our list, if players like Wellingham, Priddis, or half our side for that matter, showed some intensity, could lay and stick a tackle, or even show a little urgency when not in possession.

The only other player that did that on the weekend was Tunbridge imo. We are sadly lacking intensity, and all the skills in the world are not much use when you can't apply the pressure needed to create a turnover in the first place.

My, we do love to overrate players who lack skill, decision making, footy smarts, composure and a position…but hey, tackling and pressure and goal assists (against Brisbane) and hard work and determination…and oh **** off, McGinnity is a hack that has no place in a team that needs to develop into a premiership contending one. Kudos for him chasing and tackling, I'd expect that from someone whose career is on the line, but when the fact that he's not a footballer's a-hole once again rears it's ugly head, and it will, time and time again, I'll sit back and gently shake my head.
And you all know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back