Positives/Negatives vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Negatives

This thread

So many sooky lalas

We know our weakness (midfield) but we have a coach that is working on it and after looking like we were going t get smashed 15 minutes in he made adjustments that got us back in the game and with some better conversion / better luck we might have won. Ultimately we ran out of legs and got beat by a better team

We are a mid tabe side and played pretty well against a top 4 contender at near full strength

Now all we need is the recruiters to do the same.

Definitely starting to think Sheed will do nothing for us, doesn't have the poise or kicking ability you'd want in a first round pick. FFS it was so clear we would get him at our pick, because no one else wanted him!!!

Wish we kept pick 6 and got best player available.

Whoah, hold your horses there cowboy! The kid has only played three games.

He is still adjusting to the intensity and skill of AFL level football.

If you made such judgment on players after their first three games, most of our team tonight would not have made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had been weary even before the draft at the fact we we're such locks to draft him. Surely if he was a great player other teams would have serious interest?

Most of the early draft picks were tall players, other than Billings I think at St Kilda. West Coast knew this. I don't think he would have lasted much longer TBH but he's just a kid. Too early to call. He did have 11 possessions this game and I don't remember him butchering it like Priddis. That's a positive.

Whoah, hold your horses there cowboy! The kid has only played three games.

He is still adjusting to the intensity and skill of AFL level football.

If you made such judgment on players after their first three games, most of our team tonight would not have made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And maybe that speaks volumes.

Most of the early draft picks were tall players, other than Billings I think at St Kilda. West Coast knew this. I don't think he would have lasted much longer TBH but he's just a kid. Too early to call. He did have 11 possessions this game and I don't remember him butchering it like Priddis. That's a positive.

Aish at pick 7 has looked good so far. Could easily see him developing into a Pendlebury type, when he has the ball in traffic he's composed and finds a safe out rather than booting the ball straight to the oppositions spare man.

Nope, Daj doesn't have him in the votes either... Clearly a bit :drunk:

I acknowledge it looks like I got it wrong with Darling. I thought he ****ed up alot more than others so I probably should have just watched closer. I then felt it would be stupid to give him votes after I've said he played poorly.

The back line was superb as they have been all year... Bennell is the real deal.

Things you cant afford...
Kicking twice as many points as you do goals
Not being able to hit a guy on the chest running straight at you 30 metres away
Fumbling ground balls
Dropping easy marks
kicking to a 2 on 1 when your guys the 1
Not being able to see the longer option
Not having the confidence to hit a long option
Having a FF who cant get his hands on the ball... may as well have the 3rd ruckman option
Nic Nat jumping 1.5 seconds early in the ruck every time.
Cox ruck taps being so predictable that they constantly being sharked
Having both Cripps and Hill in the same forward line/team. Cripps is fair goal sneak and does a bit of work around the ground BUT Josh Hill was AWOL all night. He is soft and not committed. So anyone but Hill... damn you Lecras and your soft bones

Finally... stupid umpires who cant see that pay marks that come off another players hands, when 10,000 people can see from 50 metres away!

PS... to all the Priddis haters. Are you really going let your Priddis myopia ruin every conversation again this year? Surely once you realise that he is the best in and under mid we have, that you would look at why the rest (except Rosa) are not complementing his ability to get the ball in the clinches.

The back line was superb as they have been all year... Bennell is the real deal.

Things you cant afford...
Kicking twice as many points as you do goals
Not being able to hit a guy on the chest running straight at you 30 metres away
Fumbling ground balls
Dropping easy marks
kicking to a 2 on 1 when your guys the 1
Not being able to see the longer option
Not having the confidence to hit a long option
Having a FF who cant get his hands on the ball... may as well have the 3rd ruckman option
Nic Nat jumping 1.5 seconds early in the ruck every time.
Cox ruck taps being so predictable that they constantly being sharked
Having both Cripps and Hill in the same forward line/team. Cripps is fair goal sneak and does a bit of work around the ground BUT Josh Hill was AWOL all night. He is soft and not committed. So anyone but Hill... damn you Lecras and your soft bones

Finally... stupid umpires who cant see that pay marks that come off another players hands, when 10,000 people can see from 50 metres away!

PS... to all the Priddis haters. Are you really going let your Priddis myopia ruin every conversation again this year? Surely once you realise that he is the best in and under mid we have, that you would look at why the rest (except Rosa) are not complementing his ability to get the ball in the clinches.

1. Nobody questions this. It is his use of the ball in question
2. That is the sad state of our midfield
3. It isn't the receivers fault not complimenting his ability to get the ball, it is his fault because he butchers it getting it to them. And the players that do receive are usually under the pump themselves. ie: poor decision making from Priddis.

Would imagine he's gone, may get a reprimand for one incident which will put him over the top in the second

He is well and truly gone on the Wingard hit alone.That one he left the ground and hit Wingard in the head with Glass record thats 2 minimum,the Schultz hit is bad luck but he could get 3 out of the game.I thought Kenny Hinkley did a great job late in the 3rd of isolating Glass on Gray as we tried all night was to get one of our smalls on Glass.Bennell had a blinder for your mob, I'm stoked with the win but feel we should've won by more but I'll take the 4 points n move on.Both sides should've kicked more in the first half and in the 3rd but we always had more legs and looked like we had the game controlled more.Also Nic Nat should not be on a field for you lot he is struggling with his body that he has lost his leap and explosiveness so much so I had Lobbe in the best 2/3 on ground for Port.

A few observations probably already mentioned:

1. Kennedy kept competing for ground level ball one on one. I'd need to watch the game again to understand why but suspect Le Cras, Hill, and Cripps, all of whom didn't play were sorely missed.

2. Shepard need to put his body on the line and did. Last week he let the team down. He needs to play like that for the rest of the season. Ditto Gaff. If Hunter and Laidley could do it then so can Gaff. If he breaks his ribs, then so be it.

3. Rosa's big body is important. A Selwood hung on to his position for too long because we didn't have enough big bodied players who could win the hard ball in non-stoppage contests. The sooner Shepard and Gaff buff up the better.

4. For all the people criticising Shepard, we need his run. Ditto Schoey. For all their deficiencies they can change the dynamic of our 1 paced midfield.

5. Hill continues to frustrate. If we could take Brennan's attack on the ball and inject into Hill's game we'd have a forward version of Bennell. Simpson must demand more effort or keep churning players through the forward pocket until one siezes his opportunity.

6. Cripps is a bit spuddy.

7. Selwood must be played predom as a tagger.

8. Priddis simply has to go. The dynamic of the midfield needs to change and removing him is the catalyst. Masten and Shuey are ready to become the main men. Put them in the deep end sooner rather than later.

9. If Wellingham can't resemble a a quality mid then he has to play out of the backline or sub.

10. Sheed is very fumbly. He's not ready. I'd like Simpson to tell him he's playing WAFL for the next 10 weeks and needs to dominate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negitives
Hill has to go- couldn't care less if he never returned- delist at years end
Cripps isn't much- more potential then Hill, needs to show something or delist at years end

Positives
Bennell was a good get- his ground skills is Wirra like.

Darling is our best player when up.

Yeo was alright- he had the occasional dumb moment but towards the end found his own, taking marks and creating play.

He is well and truly gone on the Wingard hit alone.That one he left the ground and hit Wingard in the head with Glass record thats 2 minimum,the Schultz hit is bad luck but he could get 3 out of the game.I thought Kenny Hinkley did a great job late in the 3rd of isolating Glass on Gray as we tried all night was to get one of our smalls on Glass.Bennell had a blinder for your mob, I'm stoked with the win but feel we should've won by more but I'll take the 4 points n move on.Both sides should've kicked more in the first half and in the 3rd but we always had more legs and looked like we had the game controlled more.Also Nic Nat should not be on a field for you lot he is struggling with his body that he has lost his leap and explosiveness so much so I had Lobbe in the best 2/3 on ground for Port.
I see Glass knocking that FIGJAM Wingard into next week as a positive.

You're lucky to win at all. We controlled the game for the most part. Naitanui is getting better with every game, need to play him.

Aish at pick 7 has looked good so far. Could easily see him developing into a Pendlebury type, when he has the ball in traffic he's composed and finds a safe out rather than booting the ball straight to the oppositions spare man.

Aish is extremely outside, similar to Gaff. Cant see him being anywhere near a Pendlebury inside mid.

I think your team is heading in the right direction I saw the defense last night and could not believe how controlled they were for them first 3 quarters. But it was that last quarter where they let a few loose like Schultz and Robbie Gray.

Not like I should know supporting the crows but I think if your team was to use less handball and kick the ball more you would be just as good as port power no doubt about it.

Lastly Jamie bennell wow west coast have really transformed him into a heaps better player then what he was at Melbourne which is a great example of players transforming at their new clubs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aish is extremely outside, similar to Gaff. Cant see him being anywhere near a Pendlebury inside mid.

It should be added that Aish has none of the endurance/workrate of Gaff either. This is important because while Gaff has his limitations, this aspect of his game means he can be a highly competent if overly limited cog in our midfield. It's just a matter of whether he can take the next step.

Positive: Better in the awareness of kicking to space in general.
Negative: A couple of year back, we could slaughter running teams with the tight defensive structure. Now we play their
game - giving up the defensive structure but not gaining from the offense.

A team like Port (that have the ability to run), we should concentrate in locking down their run by plugging and slowing down their tempo rather than playing running game with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a note of watching Priddis for the first half. I think people really over exaggerate how bad he is. He had better disposal efficiency than a few other mids. Most people in the gameday thread were saying he was playing good.

His first half was very good. It doesn't matter what he does, a lot of people have marked his performance before bouncedown.

His DE was better this week because he had 22 handballs. It's the amount of those which were to stationary players which are the worry

When there are 20 people around a ball up there are not too many people running into open space. I can't believe people are criticising him for giving it to players under pressure, well Duh. A lot of his handballs were fumbled by the receiver, more a reflection on them than him.
I'm fully aware he isn't a A grade midfielder with sublime skills but some people are over the top with their criticism.

I'm fully aware he isn't a A grade midfielder with sublime skills but some people are over the top with their criticism.
Then why is our midfield built around a B-grader? Would you build a midfield around Rhys Palmer or Brent Stanton?

I think what many aren't realising is the Priddis haters aren't saying "he's our worst midfielder" or "he's utterly crap". The problem is his skills don't warrant him getting that much of the ball. If Priddis was a 15-20 possession a week player then he'd (or more specifically the MRP and coaching staff) cop far less criticism.

You can't have a guy with his skills getting that much ball. Ebert got a less of the ball and hurt us way more than Priddis hurt Port. I just don't think the Priddis lovers on this board can see that.

Definitely starting to think Sheed will do nothing for us, doesn't have the poise or kicking ability you'd want in a first round pick. FFS it was so clear we would get him at our pick, because no one else wanted him!!!

Wish we kept pick 6 and got best player available.

I find it hilarious to see posts like this. It's bad enough to have such doubts on a rookie after 2 and a half games but to say it after a game where Ebert, Masten and Sheppard all had good games is just puzzling. Remember our supporters writing them off as well?

Rookies generally take time. Since Judd it seems a lot of our supporters are completely clueless to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back