Autopsy Positives/Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:

Fyfe
Getting out of jail
Winning without Pav and Mzungu for the 2nd half
Son Son to come back into the side
Ballas continuing being an absolute jet

Negatives (being conservative since I'm going by my impressions from the game since I haven't watched the replay yet):

Umpiring. That was one of the worst, most biased games of umpiring I have ever seen. They tried their hardest to get Carlton over the line but luckily we managed to get up in the end. That 50 against Dawson was bullshit too. I had a 2nd look and he was pretty much smack bang on the line where Waite marked the ball.

Marc Murphy is a cheating flog of the highest order. A protected species who gets a free whenever someone touches him or when he feels like falling to the ground. Poor Crowley couldn't do anything tonight because they kept paying free kicks against him whenever he touched Murphy.

Danyle Pearce. I have stuck up for him all season but no more. He was absolutely abysmal again tonight and just kept f***ing up time and time again in possession. He is the 1st one to make way for mine. Suban wasn't really any better himself.

The defence. They are leaking goals more easily than I think I have seen them do under Ross. Something needs to be fixed and fast.

Not bad for 15 games, if he didn't get injured he would easily be our best player. Sylvia on another hand, been a dud to be brutally honest for his career. I've taken an interest in Freo ever since the Wiz went over to you guys, but signing Colin has me still to this day baffled...
We probably thought his inconsistency was due to the Dees being a rabble. Then we found he was s**t on his own.

We probably thought his inconsistency was due to the Dees being a rabble. Then we found he was s**t on his own.
Don't blame you for thinking like that either. He was a #3 draft pick, so he clearly had the potential, he's shown in glimpses that he's talented but that's as far as it got.

Three indisputables from tonight's game

1. Mark Murphy is soft as Marshmallow
2. READ 1.
3. Leigh Fisher is a campaigner.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Dirty little f*ck too. Elbowed Crowls in the solar plexus. The aimed for it (or Crowls' balls) with closed fist punches while on the ground at two or three occasions that I saw just in the first half.

Hope Crowls drilled the little pr!ck whenever he got the chance. Umps gave Crowls almost zero credit also. 18:27 in the 3rd Waite pushes Crowls full in the back... while Crowls is in the left back pocket, and the ump is at CHF. Ump puts his hand up to his mouth... and then changes his mind about blowing the whistle for what was a blatant free kick.

There are clear double standards in the AFL umpiring fraternity. This was the most obvious example I've seen recently. You'd probably need hi def broadcast and a fertile imagination to see it though. Took a screen shot in any case.

Last edited:
Cons

Those injuries - Pav won't play against Geelong but should be back for Hawthorn

Form past two rounds less than convincing

Soft calls by umpire - think they probably they better deal

Pros

Winning with two men down (think Basil's summary 'two bad games' is a big negative overstatement)

How they came from behind when they felt flat up and until 4th quarter

Winning despite Murphy being treated like prince of an exotic country by umpires

Fyfe

4 points

Not convincing but heaps better than last week against slightly better opponent which is a minor plus

negative:
Pav and Mzungu
WTF with the umpiring. We didn't play splendid but all the crucial frees keep them in the game

positive:
poor umpiring, down on rotation, down by 2 goals....the team still managed to dig our way out of it anyway
Fyfe and Barlow
Nobody mentioned Mayne? he is everywhere.
We haven't had a close win this season yet. This will go a long way

negative:
Pav and Mzungu
WTF with the umpiring. We didn't play splendid but all the crucial frees keep them in the game

positive:
poor umpiring, down on rotation, down by 2 goals....the team still managed to dig our way out of it anyway
Fyfe and Barlow
Nobody mentioned Mayne? he is everywhere.
We haven't had a close win this season yet. This will go a long way

Leaving Fyfe aside - Mayne did a few heroic things tonight - helped get us over line

+
Great crowd, entertaining (yet frustrating) game with lead changes and a close finish after not really expecting much going in. Ballantyne and Fyfe and the Lachie Neale winner. Fought back from two rotations down and really dominated the last 10 or so minutes of the last. That's all pretty positive.

-

I am concerned at how we seemingly assume opposition teams won't be able to sustain a high level of pressure against us for long and drop off and we become reactionary and confused when this doesn't eventuate.

Inside 50's are still a shemozzle and our defensive pressure has waned big time in the last two games, we bring that intensity against Hawthorn and it will be raining piss and poo (coloured goals).

Ibbotson isn't in my mind a player we should need to rush back, I expect it of our cream (Walters will come straight back in I have no doubt) but we can cope without him and he was a liability tonight. Should have played at least a couple of WAFL games because he just didn't have the fitness tonight and skills sucked as a result.

Sandi and our mids didn't seem too in sync tonight, I know Fyfe had crazy clearance numbers but we were smashed in center clearances and if you have the tall timber (which they did) you can profit immensely from it.

Baffling brainfades in our defensive 50 which lead to goals, this is old Freo and needs to be stamped out quickly.

Are you serious? He was pretty much unsighted today. 12 disposals, 2 tackles, no score.

He is playing the role better than Sylvia was, if you must know.
He create contests, wins the ball and was creating scoring chances for others.
For some reason, he has been hesitant to take shots himself, but other than that, played a solid game IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is playing the role better than Sylvia was, if you must know.
He create contests, wins the ball and was creating scoring chances for others.
For some reason, he has been hesitant to take shots himself, but other than that, played a solid game IMO.

He's not playing Sylvia's role. He's playing as a lead up forward. Lachie Neale was playing in Sylvia's role today until De Boer came on, if you really want to talk about Sylvia. But I think that was just a silly attempt at trolling? De Boer, btw, had a whopping 9 disposals at 44% efficiency in 2 and 1/2 quarters.

Mayne hasn't fired a shot all year. And he certainly didn't do anything today to get excited about.

He's not playing Sylvia's role. He's playing as a lead up forward. Lachie Neale was playing in Sylvia's role today until De Boer came on, if you really want to talk about Sylvia. But I think that was just a silly attempt at trolling? De Boer, btw, had a whopping 9 disposals at 44% efficiency in 2 and 1/2 quarters.

Mayne hasn't fired a shot all year. And he certainly didn't do anything today to get excited about.

Well, go back and watch his game. It's not all about stats. He ran to create contest, ran to space. It's not always about shots at goal.

+
We won

-
Clarke was sh*t. Soft... ineffectual vs a part time ruckman (Casboult), didn't chase hard enough, didn't present as a solid target.

For what we're getting, I hope Apeness, Gumby and Kep are working on their rucking and forward play. Because Clarke needs a sizable f*cking rocket.

Well, go back and watch his game. It's not all about stats. He ran to create contest, ran to space. It's not always about shots at goal.

Ok then. Best 12 possession, 0 goal game ever.

Pros:

Touching tribute before the game
The club standing up when it had to in the last quarter, good teams find a way to win.

Nat. Fyfe.

Cons:

Sloppy skills at times.

Marc Murphy.

Poor decision making at times.

Pearce's kicking and skills can at times, be very, very poor.

Fyfe was huge. Barlow and Ballaz good.
Not sure if I'm alone here but I'm concerned about the form of David Mundy.

Yep agreed, when the team looks slow Mundy's half rat power really stands out, I like it when he has the ball though!

Think we may have paid unders for Fyfe and overs for Mundy.

+
We won

-
Clarke was sh*t. Soft... ineffectual vs a part time ruckman (Casboult), didn't chase hard enough, didn't present as a solid target.

For what we're getting, I hope Apeness, Gumby and Kep are working on their rucking and forward play. Because Clarke needs a sizable f*cking rocket.

Agree, this is the type of game I'd be expecting him to have a big influence in and he didn't really offer us anything other than a good mark in defence.

It's not a common thing where I go hard at the umps, but I've been busting to vent somewhere and I'll do it here.

The No1. negative, even above some clear issues our team has, by a country mile and then some was the absolutely ******* horrible display by the umpires. For the best part of 3/4, I'll put it mildly, we got the poor rub of the green ... but when it came to Crowley, has a case to take class action law suit out on them, because that was just terrible. They got it in their head that they were going to favour 'the ball player' (which is bullshit approach to begin with), and they just called absolute amateur bullshit all night - and in a tight game, it nearly cost us. I've never, I mean never been so irate at the officials who I normally have a lot of sympathy for. I'm genuinely pissed at what they dished out!!!

I have no idea who those muppets are, but I hope to heck they never get near an AFL ground again - idiots!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now I've got my vent out of the way.

Pros:
- Finding a way to win, playing 1 1/4 of top intensity footy, with only 1 rotation and coming away with the win.
- Fyfe, Fyfe, Fyfe, Fyfe ... if anybody doubts just how good he is, watch his last quarter. That was the bomb. Real leadership when he just put the team on his shoulders and said, this way boys to a win.

and one many may have missed:

- Sutty, Suban, Spurr, Dawson - those blue collar type players kept us in that game for 3/4 when the silky more top shelf crew were patchy to say the least. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Negatives:
- Most have been said, my biggest one is the inability to cover the spread and the around the ground pressure bellow what we need to be. Can't be bothered going into the finer details of it, but teams are working us out and we better take it up a gear or we're just going to make up the numbers come September.

Back to positives:
- There's still time to sort it out, and the last quarter pointed to the fact that ability to create and play pressure footy is still in our bones.

+ve
AFL on line worked just fine in New York
We found a way
Fyfe, Ballas,

-ve
Woke up the missus and half the hotel yelling at my IPad:mad:
Carltank were 1st to the ball too often
We are a loooooong way off our best footy

Postives: Fyfe was outstanding and Ballantyne fantastic. We won.

Negatives: Just too many individuals playing well below their best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back