Possible Father/Son in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Jars son is a top 10 pick so that we can take advantage of recruiting him, Im assuming in 2016 we are a top 6 side.
Here is a dream scenario. It's 2018, you have two 28 year old co captains with 200+ games, the crouch brothers nearing their mid 20s with 100+ games each and a Jarman with a few preseasons and 25 games to his name. Dare to dream?

Here is a dream scenario. It's 2018, you have two 28 year old co captains with 200+ games, the crouch brothers nearing their mid 20s with 100+ games each and a Jarman with a few preseasons and 25 games to his name. Dare to dream?

LOL. Im already dreaming this year. :p

I really believe we have the forward structure, the defensive unit and midfield engine that can take us to a flag this year.

Probably my concern is that we lack the depth should injuries or suspension occur and our bottom 5 players are not as good as the top teams bottom five.

Question for us oldies - why wasn't Jars in the inaugural squad - had he already gone to Hawthorn by then?

Neil Kerly was the crows football manager in 1991 and was in charge of getting players contracts signed.

He has a handshake (yes I know - once again we lose out by one of these) agreement with DArren Jarman. The day before he was supposed to sign with the Adelaide Crows, Hawthorn offered him a much better deal and Darren Jarman accepted it.

He agreed to terms and conditions with the crows in 1990 but we never got the signature.

I thought he was initially but got a better offer from Hawthorn?

My mum seemed to think that we let Richard Champion go on the assumption we had D Jarman instead...

I thought he was initially but got a better offer from Hawthorn?

My mum seemed to think that we let Richard Champion go on the assumption we had D Jarman instead...

We did.

Richard champion wanted to stay but we thought we had Jarman and this caused us to let Richard champion go.

You would've thought there'd have been room in the 52 player squad for Champion ahead of some of the others who managed to make it -

When they say Bickley was the 52nd player added, does this suggest he was a late call up after Jarman headed east at the last moment?

You would've thought there'd have been room in the 52 player squad for Champion ahead of some of the others who managed to make it -

When they say Bickley was the 52nd player added, does this suggest he was a late call up after Jarman headed east at the last moment?

Richard Champion and Darren Jarman were senior SANFL players and if my memory is right, both has played state of origin footy and would have been in far more money then say a Rodney Jamerson, mark Bickley, Mathew Liptak or a young kid. Mark Bickley would have been in very minimal wages, that's why he was last picked.

This would be why we couldn't go with Richard Champion as by the time we has lost Jarman, we didn't gave space fir him in the salary cap.

Nothing to do with the salary cap.. As Pride Of has posted on another thread:

We were only allowed to sign 10 players who were already on AFL clubs draft lists (putting to bed the theory that we had the 'whole of South Australia' to choose from).

We selected:
Darren Bartsch (from West Adelaide - Geelong)
Andrew Jarman (from North Adelaide - Brisbane)
David Pittman (from Norwood - Essendon)
Stephen Schwerdt (from Central District - West Coast)
Rodney Jameson (from Glenelg - North Melbourne)
Matthew Kelly (from Norwood - Collingwood)
Andrew Payze (from West Torrens - Richmond)
Paul Rouvray (from Glenelg - Melbourne)
Simon Tregenza (from Port Adelaide - Footscray)
Darren Jarman (from North Adelaide - Brisbane)
* who we all know cut and run on us, costing us the chance to sign Richard Champion

Add in Aish with 100 games and Bassett at the helm and its all aboard the glory train (oh and lets decide on just the one captain by then)

Nothing to do with the salary cap.. As Pride Of has posted on another thread:

We were only allowed to sign 10 players who were already on AFL clubs draft lists (putting to bed the theory that we had the 'whole of South Australia' to choose from).

We selected:
Darren Bartsch (from West Adelaide - Geelong)
Andrew Jarman (from North Adelaide - Brisbane)
David Pittman (from Norwood - Essendon)
Stephen Schwerdt (from Central District - West Coast)
Rodney Jameson (from Glenelg - North Melbourne)
Matthew Kelly (from Norwood - Collingwood)
Andrew Payze (from West Torrens - Richmond)
Paul Rouvray (from Glenelg - Melbourne)
Simon Tregenza (from Port Adelaide - Footscray)
Darren Jarman (from North Adelaide - Brisbane)
* who we all know cut and run on us, costing us the chance to sign Richard Champion

Who had Champion been drafted by? Brisbane already?

It's interesting how many players were drafted in the 80s that never went to the club - Did they even enter the draft or did clubs just 'draft' players without them even nominating?

Who had Champion been drafted by? Brisbane already?

It's interesting how many players were drafted in the 80s that never went to the club - Did they even enter the draft or did clubs just 'draft' players without them even nominating?

I reckon they didn't even have to nominate - but if they wanted to play in the VFL, they could only go to the club that had drafted them - usually the clubs talked to them first to see if they wanted to come, but there were many cases of people being drafted who didn't go, not that i can think of any immediately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they didn't even have to nominate - but if they wanted to play in the VFL, they could only go to the club that had drafted them - usually the clubs talked to them first to see if they wanted to come, but there were many cases of people being drafted who didn't go, not that i can think of any immediately
They didn't. Back then it was fairly common for players to be "drafted" by VFL teams, only for the player to completely ignore it and continue playing their entire career in the SANFL.

Neil Kerly was the crows football manager in 1991 and was in charge of getting players contracts signed.

He has a handshake (yes I know - once again we lose out by one of these) agreement with DArren Jarman. The day before he was supposed to sign with the Adelaide Crows, Hawthorn offered him a much better deal and Darren Jarman accepted it.

He agreed to terms and conditions with the crows in 1990 but we never got the signature.
When we complained to Hawthorne, their president replied "Welcome to the big league". :mad:

When we complained to Hawthorne, their president replied "Welcome to the big league". :mad:

And if you believe the legend, after the first match - Neil Kerley allegedly walked past the hawks president and then said "the big league has now changed"

Chris McDermott signed with Fitzroy in 1981 then was drafted by Brisbane in 1986 but chose to stay with Glenelg until the Crows were formed.

Players didn't nominate, clubs could just draft whoever they wanted. And draft rights lasted three years. So clubs would just draft any half decent SANFL player with picks going well past the 100s and have their rights for three years. For AFC to be allowed to include just 10 players with draft rights to other clubs was a huge disadvantage to AFC. It's amazing the club did as well as it did.

I was a big Chris McDermott fan. Shame he had to sell his soul for $$.
I'm not his greatest fan but would have thought getting a sign on fee from Fitzroy as an 18 year old and then sticking it up them by staying with your SANFL club is hardly selling your soul. He would have got nothing for being drafted by Brisbane of course.

I'm not his greatest fan but would have thought getting a sign on fee from Fitzroy as an 18 year old and then sticking it up them by staying with your SANFL club is hardly selling your soul. He would have got nothing for being drafted by Brisbane of course.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Don't forget, at that time they were owned by Skase and he would have thrown sone signing bonus to him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Don't forget, at that time they were owned by Skase and he would have thrown sone signing bonus to him.
But he didn't sign with Brisbane. As others have pointed out, the clubs just drafted anyone they wanted and then hoped to lure them to the VFL. You didn't even need to register for the draft like you do now.

But he didn't sign with Brisbane. As others have pointed out, the clubs just drafted anyone they wanted and then hoped to lure them to the VFL. You didn't even need to register for the draft like you do now.

But neither did john Platten with Carlton, Steven Kerhanan with Melbourne, Peter Mötley with footsgray, Andrew Jarman with Fitzroy (I believe) abd they all allegedly received payments from those clubs.

It's common knowledge that Carlton gave john Platten $10,000 to sign so e contract in like 1982 or something like that. Never played a game for the blues.

I've heard stories where that has happened to a few players in the 80's

I was talking about his media career not his football career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back