Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
So I keep getting woken up by these bloody possums, scratching and thumping the walls and roof. Occasionally hissing and screaming like the demon spawn they are. I know I can't kill them cos they're protected, and I know some other laws which seem ridiculous to me, like youcan't relocate them more than 50 metres. But i want this to end, I can't take it anymore.

So what do I do?

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Found this on another forum last year when I was having possum problems in the backyard:

• Trap the possum in a 'possum trap', and relocate
  • Block up all entry points to your roof to prevent re entry (they are very territorial)
  • Place a 'nesting box' and place in a nearby tree
  • Some people have had success with 'ultrasonic' deterrents
  • Other people have had success with spiky fence capping or bird spikes to stop them running along the fence and roof
  • 'Smelly' deterrents – natural methods include napthalene, ammonium sulphate etc

Personally, the spiky fence capping has helped heaps, also sprayed the area with chlorine to remove their scent. And I think some councils loan possum traps for relocation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403222818.363139.jpg

Hill2Pav

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Use rat poison and then wait for the scratching to stop and then go find the stench and then into your bin.

JTRx

Debutant
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Found this on another forum last year when I was having possum problems in the backyard:

• Place a 'nesting box' and place in a nearby tree

This.

Give them somewhere better to live and they will.
We live in a bushy area and there are possums everywhere - both brushies and ringtails.

To date we've never had any possums get inside the roof/walls.
I guess because they have no need to.

For the brushies we have a couple of nesting boxes up in the trees, just like this:
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-m...iving-with-brushtail-possums#Possumnestingbox

One is occupied by a female who we often see toddling around at night with a little baby on her back.
The kids love it!

For ringtails it's even easier, and cheaper.

They live in "dreys"...
http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Ringtail-Possum-in-drey/

You can make a little drey for them pretty easily, like this:
http://www.woaw.org.au/14andOver/make-your-own-ringtail-drey-nest-box/

All materials cost about $8/drey (Bunnings).

Edit - awwwww!! ;)

KVIBzzb.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
So I keep getting woken up by these bloody possums, scratching and thumping the walls and roof. Occasionally hissing and screaming like the demon spawn they are. I know I can't kill them cos they're protected, and I know some other laws which seem ridiculous to me, like youcan't relocate them more than 50 metres. But i want this to end, I can't take it anymore.

So what do I do?
rat sack:D
possums are a pest, but for some reason are protected

you can buy these electronic devices that send out signals that apparently keeps the possums away as well
there are similar things avaliable that works with snakes, which work a treat up in central QLD

cant move them more than 50 meters rubbish
ive never worried about that
ive caught a couple in possum traps over the years with some fruit and then moved them out to the bush where there are plenty of trees and scrub about 3 kms from home
then make sure that they cant get on to the roof (move one and others will move in)
so all trees etc need to be pruned (dont forget they can jump a reasonable distance) block up holes and nooks and crannies
if you cant prune etc then you can cover base of trees with some smooth sheet metal, they wont be able to grip to climb the tree
there was also a product around years ago called poss-off, not sure if its still about

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
you can buy these electronic devices that send out signals that apparently keeps the possums away as well
there are similar things avaliable that works with snakes, which work a treat up in central QLD

Might look into that one. My "friend" has caught a couple before and relocated them, but he's over them causing a ruckus at 4am every other day. Might try blocking up the holes i can see, as well as look into some scented things like the napthalene although I know someone else who used it for a while but it didn't solve the problem.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Might look into that one. My "friend" has caught a couple before and relocated them, but he's over them causing a ruckus at 4am every other day. Might try blocking up the holes i can see, as well as look into some scented things like the napthalene although I know someone else who used it for a while but it didn't solve the problem.
have a search around on the internet im sure there are plenty of solutions

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This.

Give them somewhere better to live and they will.
We live in a bushy area and there are possums everywhere - both brushies and ringtails.

To date we've never had any possums get inside the roof/walls.
I guess because they have no need to.

For the brushies we have a couple of nesting boxes up in the trees, just like this:
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-m...iving-with-brushtail-possums#Possumnestingbox

One is occupied by a female who we often see toddling around at night with a little baby on her back.
The kids love it!

For ringtails it's even easier, and cheaper.

They live in "dreys"...
http://australianmuseum.net.au/image/Ringtail-Possum-in-drey/

You can make a little drey for them pretty easily, like this:
http://www.woaw.org.au/14andOver/make-your-own-ringtail-drey-nest-box/

All materials cost about $8/drey (Bunnings).

Edit - awwwww!! ;)

KVIBzzb.jpg

SHOOT EM! SHOOT THEM!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back