Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies strangle Cats 110-62

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez the Attitude of the Post Game Thread is Different after a Win:eek:
After a loss there are calls to sack everyone ever involved with the club...but staggeringly no calls to contract everyone for life after a win?
Seems an imbalance in reaction.

I was at the game last night; got drunk after it. Is it sad that I wanted to come into BF at 2am and slur some thoughts around the place? Anyway, there are few things sweeter than going to a game where you're outnumbered by opposition supporters, most of whom can sense an easy kill, and then to leave them a confused and battered mess.

My thoughts have been expressed by other posters in one form or another, but I'll express some anyway:

* Fasolo--I've maligned the man in the past, and last night wasn't a perfect game from him, but he played his part and he looks so important to the balance of that forward line. Almost always gets himself into the right spots.

* Grundy--It was his work around the ground which impressed me most. Not just his tackling, which is a trademark, but his leading around the ground, his strong aerial contests, his field kicking.

* JDG--I'll try not to dwell on this young man too much: it'll just sound creepy. We've all seen his tackling before, and we've all seen him do some fine clearance work, but last night also brought a display of his running abilities. He's a bull, and he can be a rather fast bull.

* Crisp--There were a few players who seemed especially potent by foot last night, and Crisp was a standout. But it was his run that I enjoyed most, his ability to cut through lines and then to deliver the ball at pace.

* Marsh--A mention. He didn't look comfortable in the forward line. On a day when a feature article in the Age told us how jittery he feels in the forward line, we then call upon him as a sub and hurl him into the forward line. It is something I'd like to see him try every once in a while, but it didn't work out for him at all last night.

* Menzel--People's reports from the TV coverage seem to suggest that last night's game was the D. Menzel Show, but this kid certainly deserves some attention. I'm hesitant to call him a 'smart' player, because he seems to operate by instinct. He doesn't seem to need more than a split second to make the right decision, and his ability to move and deliver in congestion would be impressive for any player, let alone a player whose body has banished him from the game for so long. But of course, if I'm generous in my praise it's because we thumped his team.

Last night was a win for the future. It felt significant. There is nothing more important for development than the experience of doubt, and then overcoming those doubts.

Terrific post. Particularly your last paragraph.:thumbsu:

And could only Imagine if Cloke had played and suspect that winning margin could been much higher and also depending on clokes accuracy. .

Id argue Cloke being there would have been to our detriment as we would gave simply bombed it on his head to a 2 on 1 and the Cats sweep away.

Then on the odd occasion he does mark it, he'd have kicked behinds. Its like sone of you ignore the fact that he's been terrible this year.

Id argue Cloke being there would have been to our detriment as we would gave simply bombed it on his head to a 2 on 1 and the Cats sweep away.

Then on the odd occasion he does mark it, he'd have kicked behinds. Its like sone of you ignore the fact that he's been terrible this year.

Cloke has been hampered ever since the West Coast game. He has plenty of time to get himself right and should form a formidable partnership with Moore next season. I like the two key position set up with Fas and Elliott playing as small forwards. We seem to have more space.

Cloke has been hampered ever since the West Coast game. He has plenty of time to get himself right and should form a formidable partnership with Moore next season. I like the two key position set up with Fas and Elliott playing as small forwards. We seem to have more space.

Cloke shines when he has a foil/decoy. Jessie unfortunately hasn't been it, Reid hasn't played and Moore isn't quite ready.

My hope is that Moore can put some meat on in the gym over the pre-season without losing his mobility. Anymore than 5-10kg probably isn't necessary. You can build really good core strength without having to be huge, which would still allow him to win 1 on 1 contests with good positioning and smart reading of the ball.

That leaves Reid to play back with Brown so we never have to be subjected to seeing Frost masquerade as a footballer ever again.

How anyone can continually find negatives (for 2 days now) out of a 48 point win staggers me.
The sun is shining again this morning, what the hell is wrong with you people

4620ff0b3e5f826d9ee38e10b7d9d3cc.jpg

Cloke shines when he has a foil/decoy. Jessie unfortunately hasn't been it, Reid hasn't played and Moore isn't quite ready.

My hope is that Moore can put some meat on in the gym over the pre-season without losing his mobility. Anymore than 5-10kg probably isn't necessary. You can build really good core strength without having to be huge, which would still allow him to win 1 on 1 contests with good positioning and smart reading of the ball.

That leaves Reid to play back with Brown so we never have to be subjected to seeing Frost masquerade as a footballer ever again.

Reid's fitness is the key. We are so much better with him in the side.

I don't think that is due to Cloke being present or not, more of an issue with the delivery and decision making coming into the forward line. There were many times the ball went into Moore who had 2 defenders on him and we were lucky that Geelong were so crap they couldn't sweep it away easily. Moore is too inexperienced and not strong enough yet to be able to compete effectively in a 2 on 1 situation however the thinking of our mids/wingers hasn't really changed. Poor delivery isn't Cloke's fault and that's where the improvement needs to be made.

Cloke should be bolted to a skateboard which is welded to a rail which follow the arc of the 50.
He should be encouraged to play on and kick at goal from there at all times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's some actual facts you've ignored:
34.23 this year - our highest goalkicker.
6.6 marks per game - highest at Collingwood.
35 contested marks - highest at Collingwood, 8th in the AFL
2.1 contested marks per game - highest at PIes, 6th in AFL
If only all our forwards had such "terrible" years.

Lol. He's stated that he /thinks/ Reid has lost the penetration in his kicking, I've never seen him say it definitively. Even tonight he definitely didn't pass it like he used to, the ball noticeably hangs in the air a lot longer than it used to.

Rubbish. Reid's kicking was back to his penetrating best on Friday night. The distance and speed he hit his targets was 2010 like. If he can stay injury free he'll be pushing for AA in 2016.

Here's some actual facts you've ignored:
34.23 this year - our highest goalkicker.
6.6 marks per game - highest at Collingwood.
35 contested marks - highest at Collingwood, 8th in the AFL
2.1 contested marks per game - highest at PIes, 6th in AFL
If only all our forwards had such "terrible" years.

Soooooo.....Cloke is the best house in a bad street?

Gotcha.

Rubbish. Reid's kicking was back to his penetrating best on Friday night. The distance and speed he hit his targets was 2010 like. If he can stay injury free he'll be pushing for AA in 2016.

Maybe I just remember it being better than it actually was (not that Friday's was bad, I just remember it being absolutely god-tier).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back