Review Post-game discussion/positives & negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

And s**t now that you mention it McKernan was stiff to miss out wasn't he?

There's always a lot of talk about good players who have been suspended in that particular year (eg Fyfe last year) but very few I can think of actually poll the most votes and therefore miss out. Chris Grant comes to mind and Corey would've tied with Hird and Voss, but I'm struggling after that.

I'll add a positive that hasn't been mentioned:

Over the first 4 games we've played sides with superstar mids, the sort who have toweled us up for years[1]. Aside from Adelaide where their entire midfield ran rampant, we've kept Beams, Boak, Gray and Selwood quieter than usual. Throw in the likes of Zorko and Wingard who are the next tier of players ilkely to have a day out against us. Apart from Boak, they all got at least 30 points below their supercoach average scores against us. For a 29-possession, 10-clearance game, Selwood had next to no influence.

(Yes I know, the supercoach generation blah blah blah. I'll make a charitable donation to Teffy's monastery as atonement. But it's as good as any easily available catch-all number to get a rough idea of a player's influence on a game. And sure, they can be distorted by freak or lucky bits of play at turning points in a match, but big differences in scores are generally reflective of big differences in performance.)

[1]Some statistical evidence that we've tended to be easy pickings for opposition stars: http://www.supercoachscores.com/threads/995-The-Search-For-Flat-Track-Bullies-for-2014

Interesting stat. Time on ground for our best clearance mids Swallow, Cunners and JZ.

Round 1 - 82%
Round 2 - 79%
Round 3 - JZ injured so not counted (Cunners and Swallow at 81.5%)
Round 4 - 72.6%

All three spent the equivalent of a quarter off the ground, Swallow 76%, Cunners 72% and JZ 68%. I wonder if it was a question of just being managed or that we felt that we always had that aspect of the game in hand against the Cats that they weren't as needed?

Would say it indicates more a higher rotation based on the outs of Wells and Dal Santo, while I know they're outside to Cunners/Spitta/JZs inside the exclusion of those 2 has led to players like Boomer having to rest down back/up forward rather than coming off so we're rotating more through the inside mids to keep fresh.

Can never be upset with a win, but in saying that we were only average yesterday.

Just luckily our opponent was worse, plus we had the benefit of the umpires. Cats are playing like a bottom 4 team and couldn't cover their injuries as well as us.

So yes it's always good to get a win, but it needs to put into perspective and we need to improve to beat the Hawks this week.

Positives;
We managed to show mental strength to come back and win a tight game
Goldstein, Tarrant, Nahas, Thompson, Wright, Swallow all excellent.
Dumont and Wood impressive
Jacobs solid again
Players taking on the tackler and still finding a man

Negatives;
Ball use is abysmal too often
Some horrific decision making
Our centre square structure still not flash
Gibson was very poor (again).
Turner needs a spell - he'll be back

Can never be upset with a win, but in saying that we were only average yesterday.

Just luckily our opponent was worse, plus we had the benefit of the umpires. Cats are playing like a bottom 4 team and couldn't cover their injuries as well as us.

So yes it's always good to get a win, but it needs to put into perspective and we need to improve to beat the Hawks this week.

Positives;
We managed to show mental strength to come back and win a tight game
Goldstein, Tarrant, Nahas, Thompson, Wright, Swallow all excellent.
Dumont and Wood impressive
Jacobs solid again
Players taking on the tackler and still finding a man

Negatives;
Ball use is abysmal too often
Some horrific decision making
Our centre square structure still not flash
Gibson was very poor (again).
Turner needs a spell - he'll be back

Winning when playing 'average' is vital.

Winning when playing 'average' is vital.

It is what we've done poorly in previous years.

THe Hawks have suffered some outs which should benefit us, if we could get a win this week while we are not playing stupendious footy it would be huge.

It is what we've done poorly in previous years.

THe Hawks have suffered some outs which should benefit us, if we could get a win this week while we are not playing stupendious footy it would be huge.

Getting to 4-4 is vital. Tough month coming up.

Let's not ignore the milestone that is, first Victorian visitor to the Cattery to emerge victorious since ... us.

Nothing should make that average.

Gold Coast (who are pathetic at the moment) nearly beat them down there also, Freo carved them up when they clicked into gear.

We definitely only played average.

The fact we still won despite that is important though as per what TPAndy suggested, but at our best we would/should have smoked the Cats.

Yeah.

Massive game.

Huge.

This is an opportunity, it sits right in front of us. We have in the past couple of years failed to really take the opportunity when it sits there. If we want top 4 we have to win it, simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting stat. Time on ground for our best clearance mids Swallow, Cunners and JZ.

Round 1 - 82%
Round 2 - 79%
Round 3 - JZ injured so not counted (Cunners and Swallow at 81.5%)
Round 4 - 72.6%

All three spent the equivalent of a quarter off the ground, Swallow 76%, Cunners 72% and JZ 68%. I wonder if it was a question of just being managed or that we felt that we always had that aspect of the game in hand against the Cats that they weren't as needed?

Dunno but it's so good to see the three share the load (no Grinder meetup puns intended). Paul Roos no doubt sees it as more proof our bang and crash crew can't run out an entire game!

Great to see that we have been able to turn the game around after quarter time. In the past we've often been either on or off on the day. This one started like an off day, but we were good enough to change things. Add to that the emotional drive Geelong looked like generating post Hawkins goal, yet we stood up and said, "We feel for you Hawkins, and hope you can be strong after such a family loss, but we aint giving you this result".

The negative is, despite such a smashing in contested posessions that we've given them, we still had 8 inside 50s less. And our kicking for goal at crucial stages of the game was very shaky. Luckily it didn't cost us, but misses by Brown and Thomas in particular could have cost us the momentum and the game.

Positives
Winning ugly is still winning
We actually got the rub from the maggots for once

FROGGY!!!!!!!!

Negatives
Dumb footballers
Not crushing a depleted Geelong
Forward line is not functioning well

Don't AGREE bolded in red in particular.

Wasn't a ugly WIN in my books.. graded it quite good game. Gets a B+. Was a hard fought and a triumphant victory with plenty of credit to give to the coaches box down to the players… the Cats came to play regardless of who they were…. missing a few experienced campaigners or not… North had some class out also.

Brad Scott made mention post game that they're a proud team and even at the start of the season, this was a 50/50 game… despite after the season started with results after three rounds. They tested North early as expected. They missed a few in the end that could of made it more dramatic. No need for arrogance.

Forward line stepped up on a few occasions when it mattered. Loved the way Jarrod Waite swept on the crumbs front & square to snap that goal in the last.

North missed easy opportunities as well but these days in the modern era… it's a given to see MISS sitters each and every week. Players are feeling the pressure somehow.

Surprised an experienced campaigner like James Kelly making some real dumb decisions # undisciplined …that's always gonna hurt them. Also their #19… busted for holding Thommo…:eek::p:thumbsu: glad to see the umps paying careful attention to last weeks BLUNDERS that cost North big time..

No rub for North as we never got any charity frees. Umpires did one heck of a good job. I recall many times over BEING RAPED by the umps vs Geelong.

Don't AGREE bolded in red in particular.

Wasn't a ugly WIN in my books.. graded it quite good game. Gets a B+. Was a hard fought and a triumphant victory with plenty of credit to give to the coaches box down to the players… the Cats came to play regardless of who they were…. missing a few experienced campaigners or not… North had some class out also.

Brad Scott made mention post game that they're a proud team and even at the start of the season, this was a 50/50 game… despite after the season started with results after three rounds. They tested North early as expected. They missed a few in the end that could of made it more dramatic. No need for arrogance.

Forward line stepped up on a few occasions when it mattered. Loved the way Jarrod Waite swept on the crumbs front & square to snap that goal in the last.

North missed easy opportunities as well but these days in the modern era… it's a given to see MISS sitters each and every week. Players are feeling the pressure somehow.

Surprised an experienced campaigner like James Kelly making some real dumb decisions # undisciplined …that's always gonna hurt them. Also their #19… busted for holding Thommo…:eek::p:thumbsu: glad to see the umps paying careful attention to last weeks BLUNDERS that cost North big time..

No rub for North as we never got any charity frees. Umpires did one heck of a good job. I recall many times over BEING RAPED by the umps vs Geelong.
Disagree with a lot of what you posted.

Yes it was an ugly win. If we expect to be around the mark when the whips are cracking then yesterday showed how far away we are, because the Cats are a shadow of what they once were (especially with so much experience missing), so its not being arrogant at all for us to expect to beat them and do it well. You must have blanked out the rubbish that was dished up in the first quarter because it was horrendous, the skills were below what you would see your local footy and against a quality side it could have been very costly.

Yes we got the rub today, we got a few 50/50's, but I wouldn't say they determined the result. In the past we have not got anything and even had poor decisions go against us. Today we got what we deserved plus a couple of 50/50's, whereas Geelong probably could have been given a couple more frees,so that getting the rub in my opinion.

A win is a win, but it was by no means a great performance and to be honest it wasn't even near last week's effort and we lost.

Wonder how we'd have gone a couple of years ago with the equivelant of Wells, Dal, McDonald, McMillian, Adams, Grima, Hasen, Garner. And a coming back from injury Black all unavailable ?

We'd have got flogged I'd safely say.

Wonder how we'd have gone a couple of years ago with the equivelant of Wells, Dal, McDonald, McMillian, Adams, Grima, Hasen, Garner. And a coming back from injury Black all unavailable ?

We'd have got flogged I'd safely say.

very true
some of the football was A grade
particularly liked the handballing, thank you Higgins, he handballs to where the player is going to be, not where they are standing

After watching the replay today:

- Our backline was outstanding, we put enough pressure on Geelong to force their midfielders to bomb long but regardless you need to be organised to negate so many deep entries and we did that. Firrito, Wright and Thompson outstanding at ground level while Tarrant played his best game for the club. On this note Tarrant's contested gather and 45m left foot pass to Gibson late in the 1st quarter was outrageous - can't see Tippett ever being capable of this.
- Jacobs has done everything he could do the last fortnight, racked up a few cheaper touches in switches of play but more-so was hard running, composed and involved in a lot of positive ball movement. He makes Macmillan earn his spot back through the VFL and wont be the one to make way for McDonald.
- The All Australian selection is Goldstein's for the taking, is having such a positive impact around the ground and his ruck work is getting even better. At stages he looked so relaxed and assured at ruck contests, simply pushing his opponent with one arm while tapping with the other, he expects to win them.
- We have no shortage of small forwards and Sunday was Nahas' day, a match winning 4th quarter, really pleased for him.
- Becoming a huge, huge fan of Brown. So relieved we have him with Petrie fading quickly.
- Obviously Dumont's effort in the forth quarter. What outstanding poise to win it in the middle and more importantly push hard forward to create the goal assist for Brown.
- How comfortable does Wood look? He's basically a midfielder out there at the moment, does some series miles in a game and has a penetrating left foot. I like him on the wing an am in no rush to push him forward, Black needs to push Waite out now.
- Swallow was great, I voted him BOG straight after the game and am comfortable with it post-replay. Governs the stoppages and is often paired with the oppositions best player.
- I thought Thomas just had one of those days, didn't have a problem finding the ball but his use was really poor. Didn't hurt us too much but he's better than what he showed.
- Atley, Turner, Gibson all had poor games. Atley is the one who disappointed me on the weekend but confident he will bounce back against Hawthorn. Turner should make way for Wells if fit.
- I loathe to put him in here with Taylor manning him but Petrie is no longer our most important forward. Thought he competed okay and was smart to push back late but age is catching up to the great man.
- If that's a bad as Higgins plays this year (which it is so far) he'll still be a great pick up for us. Was okay, made some mistakes headlined by that terrible handball in the guts but he's got plenty of points in the bank. He'll enjoy being back at Etihad next week.
- Feeling fairly neutral towards Ziebell & Cunnington - were strong inside, didn't offer much outside.
- Waite kicked 3, was probably still beaten by a quality defender in Rivers but is still on target to kick 50+ which would be a huge win. More importantly I think having Petrie and Waite in the side gives Brown such an advantage in his match up.
- After the game I had Bastinac down as a likely omission for Wells, while it's possible the replay changed my mind on his game. Similar to Jacobs in that he made better decisions and was tougher around the ball. Some tough decisions if both McDonald and Wells are fit.
- I thought Harvey was great, noticed a few negative comments on the board but he was creative and involved in a lot of our positive work through the corridor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back