Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Some interesting posts in here.

I was pretty impressed with the game yesterday bar approximately a 20 minute period in the second where we really lost our way.

That being said, I still see some major problems where we will come undone against quality sides this season.

Langdon has been down which is common for second year players coming of a great debut season. He's making a few mistakes but the positive is that his confidence is still up and is not dropping his head. He's a very mature player who reads the ball well so I'm happy he remains in the team.

Ox was fantastic, uses the ball so well and is critical when we go forward. More often than not when he has the ball we end up with a shot on goal.

We still struggle with clearances. I didn't like Adams game yesterday. I cringe when he has the ball in hand and always ready myself for a direct turnover and he really either needs to win every hard ball he's involved in or improve his efficiency. The latter I don't think will happen. I know Greenwood can have some efficiency issues also, but we really miss him.

White was good as others have mentioned. Looking confident these last few weeks and is being rewarded.

Goldsack back in defence is the smartest thing I've seen done this year. Looks comfortable and is impacting the game which is all we can ask.

Fasolo back I wasn't a fan but he proved me wrong. We needed that game from him but what we really need is consistency in his game. The position is his to lose really.

DeGoey shows the determination of a third gamer but made a few errors and over committed at times. You can see he'll be a good player with games under his belt but he'll be in and out of the team.

Frost injured, not sure how serious. Really hope we can cover his loss with Reid but maybe Marsh debuts. Wasn't been overly impressed with Frosts game but he has done what has been asked of him and for a rookie been good.

Welcome back Sidey is all I have to say on him.

Varcoe was fantastic. Consistency is another area he needs to work on so I'd love to see him string a few of these types of games together. I hope he's not a downhill skier of some form and can step it up against teams like Hawthorn and Sydney because that's where we really need him providing that run forward.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Really enjoyed the game bar that 20 minute period. I thought we controlled the tempo well and had it on our terms for the large part.

Will take the points and percentage against GC.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game live tonight but recorded it on Foxtel. Normally I wouldn't do anything to spoil the result but tonight I read the first half of the match day thread before watching the game. That lead me to believe that I was going to watch (almost) the worst performance in AFL history; except for the fact that, you know, we were winning.

The contrast between the terrible performance the forum posted and what I actually watched could not have been more stark.

I couldn't help but feel that this was because I was prepared in some way; that my expectations had been lowered.

Langdon and Seedsman were particularly pasted and, while they weren't great, the reason they weren't seemed to be Gold Coast's pressure.

Meanwhile I was calmer than ever watching the game. Not knowing the result, but expectations low. Most relaxed I've been watching a game... well... ever, and no way near as bad as some made out.

I agree for some reason the game day thread started out negative and just kept going that way all game. I missed the first 5 minutes and turned the game on and started reading the thread. I couldn't work out why the thread was so negative. I think there might be a bit of group think going on here. I sometimes think similar happens with the commentary. On ANSAC day Seeds was talked up by the commentators and everyone jumped on board. Not saying he didn't play well but think the opinion of his performance was elevated due to the commentators.

I agree for some reason the game day thread started out negative and just kept going that way all game. I missed the first 5 minutes and turned the game on and started reading the thread. I couldn't work out why the thread was so negative. I think there might be a bit of group think going on here. I sometimes think similar happens with the commentary. On ANSAC day Seeds was talked up by the commentators and everyone jumped on board. Not saying he didn't play well but think the opinion of his performance was elevated due to the commentators.
I also think it provides an avenue to vent more so than an avenue to celebrate.

Jul 13, 2007
Elwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
i just think hes changed.. he just looks angry and whenener the ball comes forward he has that f off look ojn his face like 'its mine'. past 3 games i think he could have jumped a big hurdle in his career. i havent really seen him play anything like this.
All I want White to do is to provide a contest. His last 3 games I think have been very good, despite the previous two the team losing. He's not always going to kick 4 goals a game. Some games he won't kick a goal. Look at Buddy last night who didn't kick a goal, but Buddy always contests. Maybe it's just taking White a long time to mature as a footballer, but the signs are very encouraging for White. If he keeps this up his spot in the team is secure no matter who we have coming back.

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendlebury is 27, 200 games. Can he break 311 games record for the pies. He would have to go another 5 years
Or have lots of drawn grand finals!

(sorry if anyone else thought of that but haven't had time to read the 200 odd posts)

ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
I was at the match and we were fine for three and a half qtrs we did lapse a little in the 2nd and Langdon was not our worst player,he also reads the play better than any one else in our team aside from pendle,s.
Fas and Elliott were good,Jamie came good in 2nd half and Fas we should expect that effort each week from him.Maybe not the same return but same effort should be there att on ability he should be in the best 5 to 7 players at the club he definitely has the talent.I did pull my hair out in the 2nd for a while but they got it back on their terms well,I don,t know where the negativity comes from but I was quite happy with what I saw.

Huh? He had 26 hit outs to Witts and Grundy's 39. Generous to say he "easily beat" them. He did kick 2 goals while Grundy and Witts shared 1 goal 2. Is that what you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought Nicholls had more Impact for Longer.

Also Nicholls Kicking a few Goal late did stick out.

Beat them "Easily" was bit over the Top.

Thought Witts and Grundy was better in the 2nd half

I think Seeds influence has been less the last few weeks for a few reasons, mainly because he's had to play a more defensive role.

Did you see Aaron Hall last night? I didn't, and that was Seeds opponent for most of the night.

Yes we'd all love to see Seeds running down the ground and delivering inside 50 consistently, but with Ramsay, Toovey and Reid missing down back Seeds had to drop back further last night.

It's also a nice developmental part of his game, to become more accountable while still getting possessions.

I think Seeds influence has been less the last few weeks for a few reasons, mainly because he's had to play a more defensive role.

Did you see Aaron Hall last night? I didn't, and that was Seeds opponent for most of the night.

Yes we'd all love to see Seeds running down the ground and delivering inside 50 consistently, but with Ramsay, Toovey and Reid missing down back Seeds had to drop back further last night.

It's also a nice developmental part of his game, to become more accountable while still getting possessions.

Agree, When Seedsman is asked to Defend hurts his Influence.

Another reason why Ramsey are Badly Missed

I think from memory Shaw did a few shanks as well hopefully Adams can correct his kicking

I think Adams kicking better then Last Year.

So hopefully it keeos Improving

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

A shadow could keep Aaron Hall quiet

That lace out pass straight onto a GC players chest when squaring it up was atrocious.

I want him to improve but honestly I don't think his kicking ever will.

So you would De-List him then?

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
That lace out pass straight onto a GC players chest when squaring it up was atrocious.

I want him to improve but honestly I don't think his kicking ever will.
His kicking is getting better but I think his decision making needs to improve. That kick wasn't on for a good user of the pill.

Back