Review Post Game v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we saying the club is negligent in playing a player not 100%

Or

Are we saying Dunstan is just struggling atm... He is obviously not quick and kicking not great.

Who actually has indicated he's injured?
I believe he is struggling from the Siposs syndrome.

Was it Dempster that got absolutely destroyed by betts?
Our late outs hurt bad, geary was probably our no. 1 option on betts...

Wouldn't say Dempster was destroyed. He was a victim of their slingshot play.

One on one with Betts, I actually thought Sean was pretty good.

Today showed how important Geary is to us. Missed another general down there and he wouldn't have let Betts kick 6 on him, that's for sure.
Geary gets way too much stick on here, he makes up for it on the defensive side.

You're not wrong there...

Last 2 games betts vs Geary-less saints = 11 goals
4 games prior to that on Geary = 2 goals and a frustrated cheap shot on wright

No easy possessions on Jarryn, I got told I wear rose coloured glasses for saying so on twitter but I don't care.

If people were bagging anyone else unfairly, I'd like to think I'd fly in too
As you have been told, but fail to acknowledge, Betts has kicked 12 goals in the last two games against the Saints when Geary was injured.

Four games prior to that Betts kicked only two goals. Geary played all four.
Some Geary appreciation

Webster worked into it quite well. There will be weeks where the positives are fewer, but we've got a chance to show a few more next week.

For those calling to rest Dunstan. Theres a bye coming up next month so he can have a week off then along with everyone else.
His training loads are higher than what they would have been last year. Most players struggle with the 2nd year loads. But they gotta push on and get up every week.. its a really important part of their development.. Getting into the habits of handling the loads, playing on the weekend, then recovery.. then doing it again... Thats why coaches are reluctant to rest players even when their sore.

geary out had probably the biggest impact on the game

i'm still none the wiser as to what newnes position is. it sure as s**t aint the wing cause he absolutely butchers it and has no real pace on the outside. dont think he's an inside mid either, just cant do the inside work like dunstan/ross etc can

i guess thats why we've moved him back into the backline

geary out had probably the biggest impact on the game

i'm still none the wiser as to what newnes position is. it sure as s**t aint the wing cause he absolutely butchers it and has no real pace on the outside. dont think he's an inside mid either, just cant do the inside work like dunstan/ross etc can

i guess thats why we've moved him back into the backline

I worry a bit about Newnes, he isn't settled for some reason.

He also is a great kick, but lacks composure.

Too much pressure on himself?

Are we saying the club is negligent in playing a player not 100%

Or

Are we saying Dunstan is just struggling atm... He is obviously not quick and kicking not great.

Who actually has indicated he's injured?
I believe he is struggling from the Siposs syndrome.
It was posted by tbarker early last week than Luke is very sore. Judging by the amount of tape from his shoulder to below his elbow it seems that could be on the money.

Give him a spell for the WC game at a minimum.

He's a hell of a player who we need to be patient with like all of our youngsters.

I worry a bit about Newnes, he isn't settled for some reason.

He also is a great kick, but lacks composure.

Too much pressure on himself?

fair point, you could be onto something, as he some times disposes of it beautifully but then he has moments where its atrocious

fair point, you could be onto something, as he some times disposes of it beautifully but then he has moments where its atrocious

Yeah I think it's composure not ability.

It's an important quality.

Like those missed goals, he can kick those easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes criticism is weird.

22 years old. 54 games.

Averages 20 disposals, tackles well and goes at over 70% by foot.

My only fault on the bloke is he's a bit clumsy at times and gives away cheap free kicks.

I'm not criticising, think he's struggled a little.

Newnes criticism is weird.

22 years old. 54 games.

Averages 20 disposals, tackles well and goes at over 70% by foot.

My only fault on the bloke is he's a bit clumsy at times and gives away cheap free kicks.

he's a good honest soldier in a pretty bad team. doesnt look out of place, i just dont know what his position will be when this team is absolutely firing on all cylinders

like i look at dunstan i see inside mid. i look at lonie i see small fwd. i look at billings i see flanker who can play midfield. i look at webster i see hbf who can push up. i look at mckenzie i see genuine winger. i dont know where newnes ideally plays, he's not the greatest defender/half back flanker, he's not a tagger, he's not an inside mid and i dont think he's damaging enough on the outside

happy to be wrong and the only one. just find it confusing right now

For those calling to rest Dunstan. Theres a bye coming up next month so he can have a week off then along with everyone else.
His training loads are higher than what they would have been last year. Most players struggle with the 2nd year loads. But they gotta push on and get up every week.. its a really important part of their development.. Getting into the habits of handling the loads, playing on the weekend, then recovery.. then doing it again... Thats why coaches are reluctant to rest players even when their sore.
Young inside mids should be rested when their soreness starts to significantly effect the way they play... Look at Luke Ball, by his 4th year, he was cooked. Was still a good player, but no where near the peaks he could have reached if he was looked after accordingly. I see Dunstan going the same way unless he is rested occasionally.

I'm like everyone else, I want to see the best team picked every week, but not at the expense of a 19 yr old that clearly looks like he's struggling & who actually looks physically sore (which he does at present). Give the bloke a rest for a week. Then he gets another rest at the bye in 4-5 weeks time. Will do him wonders in the long term IMO

Well I can't help but disagree.

Had a couple of downish days, but not sure what you're expecting from him.

Was in our best 4 or 5 yesterday.
Agree - good game yesterday.

As for what he becomes positions are becoming less important. See him as a rolling HBF/winger with stints in the middle. He has enough tricks that he'll be able to play a few spots

I was lucky enough to go to the game and came away feeling pretty positive.

Our frontal pressure was very good, but we need to learn how to set up better to counter the quick break when we turn the ball over. We allowed their forwards to get goal side of our last line of defenders every time.

Considering that, Delaney did very well on Tex, but Boogie had one of his worst games ever. One option would have been to try Robbo on Eddie, but i suspect Richo figured that that would compromise the team structure too much, and at this stage of the team's development it is more important to get them used to our structure than shut someone down.

On structure, i thought we were lost for 15 minutes after Roo went down, but then Bruce started working higher up the ground, which made a difference.

Templeton's tackling in the first half was amazing. Three times he sprinted 50 metres to tackle a guy. He ran out of petrol after that, but was no Robinson Crusoe there.

The Crows handled Armo and Steven brilliantly - they tried really hard but had no space at all.

lol.

odd thing to say, considering you've likely never spoken to the bloke and you're watching from afar.

Newnes is playing well.

I have actually, actually it's a bit of both as I've watched him too.

Really intense young man and very mature, and all his peers always get him to talk, to do the public speaking. He is "better at it" see.

Just my observation, I think he needs to relax, all that other stuff will come.

Luke Dunstan will be a Gun , reads the ball well , finds his way to contest after contest , he maybe lacking leg speed BUT
with that said Greg Williams was the slowest player covering ground Ive ever seen .
The kid needs a break .

It's a strange time to criticise Newnes IMO. I thought he definitely had his best game for the year so far, and I didn't think he butchered yesterday - in fact he seemed to me more composed than he has been. His hardness at the ball is a real asset (see 7 tackles yesterday), and when his decision making is on he is pretty good user of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back