Review Post Game v Crows

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Newnes criticism is weird.

22 years old. 54 games.

Averages 20 disposals, tackles well and goes at over 70% by foot.

My only fault on the bloke is he's a bit clumsy at times and gives away cheap free kicks.

Are you kidding , we blew pick 37 on him. How dare he not have a Browlow by now.

Just watched the game for the first time, so a bit late but:

• That was the most clueless display of umpiring i've ever seen. I don't think they were particularly favouring one side, just genuinely making s**t up as they go
  • So wasteful in front of goal. Really disappointing
  • Good learning curve for our young ruckmen, despite getting well and truly beaten by the Sauce. I think Longer is getting better around the ground with every game. I can't remember him taking too many contested marks last year, but he's taking a handful of pivotal ones per game this year.
  • Another bag by Josh the Bruce. I love this guy. He'll win a coleman one day.
  • Another casual 30+ for Armo. That's 5/7 games for the year.
  • That Riewoldt head clash is one of the worst i've ever seen. Well done to both players on their bravery.

AuntieBarrels

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
he's a good honest soldier in a pretty bad team. doesnt look out of place, i just dont know what his position will be when this team is absolutely firing on all cylinders

like i look at dunstan i see inside mid. i look at lonie i see small fwd. i look at billings i see flanker who can play midfield. i look at webster i see hbf who can push up. i look at mckenzie i see genuine winger. i dont know where newnes ideally plays, he's not the greatest defender/half back flanker, he's not a tagger, he's not an inside mid and i dont think he's damaging enough on the outside

happy to be wrong and the only one. just find it confusing right now
This is a very good point. I see where you're coming from. Some players take a little while longer than others to really find their true position. We would have hoped to see by now since he's 50 games into his career now.

I love his toughness and attack on the ball. I probably have a different view to most, but I honestly see him as an inside midfielder. Just think all of his attributes suit that role. There are just players ahead of him in that position. Newnesy has good size about him, he's strong, and he's tough as nails. He played there when he tagged Murphy, but he looked terrible as a midfield tagger. Would like to see what he could do in the centre bounce.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Finally got around to watching the the reply.

It was always going to be tough having two experienced mids out in Joey and Sloane :p.

In the first quarter we started really well but after the third goal we had multiple entries inside the 50 for no result and they eventually hurt us on the rebound.

And throughout the game the Crows looked really dangerous going forward, and Betts was superb. Thought our defenders battled hard and won a few contests each which was good but they did seem to be pressing up vey high, which was mentioned by Tim Watson.

Hickey again showed he is capable when the ball hits the deck, laid some nice tackles but was let down by his markings, one of his strengths normally. Like him as a player.

Templeton was lively early, if he can maintain influence throughout 4 quarters he will be a handy player.

Not a great result but not a bad one either. Seeing Roo knocked out was horrifying, hopefully he has a speedy and full recovery, along with Lonie.

Last edited:

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Where do people think Eli is at?

I'm not potting him or expecting him to dominate games, but he fumbled a couple of times on Saturday turning possible attacks into ball ups.

From the outside looking in I imagine he's being asked to work on his contested game and defensive stuff.

Definitely looks to have put on 5kg at least. Good start.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Where do people think Eli is at?

I'm not potting him or expecting him to dominate games, but he fumbled a couple of times on Saturday turning possible attacks into ball ups.

From the outside looking in I imagine he's being asked to work on his contested game and defensive stuff.

Definitely looks to have put on 5kg at least. Good start.

He was out for a long time and he's 19 years old,I'm hoping by the end of the year he'll be a bit more switched on reading play, going to the right areas etc.

Saint Luke

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
One thing I was thinking about, a huge positive for that game was how we blindsighted them. We didn't do that whatsoever to many teams last year, and especially not the Crows who often have won before the first quarter. We dominated much of that first quarter and to do that away at Adelaide against a team that I think most underrate, I'm pretty impressed. The trend curve seems to be such that we are in the direction of improvement, so if we can just expound on that I think we are doing well.

All younger players are going to be inconsistent, but I think the effort in the last quarter was commendable and that there were many very good performances again. I don't understand people expecting every game to be a win. We just aren't at that level.

Back