Review Post Game vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Roo moves further up the ground when Paddy plays.
If its working well Roo wing / def.
Not working sub out Paddy or Membrey and Roo goes fwd.

Like the idea of Sinks rotating through the mid but geez he's so smart around goal and him with Billings and Lonie we are really dangerous up there.

Just noting that the highest of our actual draft picks from the young crop out there yesterday was Dunstan, and he was sub. No Acres, McKenzie, Billings, McCartin, Goddard. Of the young uns out there, we got Bob and Members for nothing, Bruce for picks we wouldn't have used, Sincs and Mav from the rookie list, and a bunch of others like Lonie and Webster for second or even third round picks.

That is astonishing recruiting. Utterly astonishing. And given that the other players are just developing or injured, holy crap we're in a good position. Honestly, I don't think we need to plough the early draft that much now. It's much more important to train this crop we already have, in how to win and win and win. Go for FAs instead of early picks from here.

Just noting that the highest of our actual draft picks from the young crop out there yesterday was Dunstan, and he was sub. No Acres, McKenzie, Billings, McCartin, Goddard. Of the young uns out there, we got Bob and Members for nothing, Bruce for picks we wouldn't have used, Sincs and Mav from the rookie list, and a bunch of others like Lonie and Webster for second or even third round picks.

That is astonishing recruiting. Utterly astonishing. And given that the other players are just developing or injured, holy crap we're in a good position. Honestly, I don't think we need to plough the early draft that much now. It's much more important to train this crop we already have, in how to win and win and win. Go for FAs instead of early picks from here.

Think you're spot on. We're too good to be down the bottom now. Need to keep improving. We should realistically be aiming for finals next year. So pumped with the younguns.

Wholeheartedly disagree Percy.

We still have Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster and Schneider to go soon, and Ray and Gilbert aren't young.

This is a hugely encouraging peak, but there's a trough to go yet.

Early picks allow us to keep replenishing the list with quality, rather than mortgaging the farm on a FA earlier than we planned and when we're not ready. FAs are cream on top, not footsoldiers in a rebuild.

By all means, grab a FA if it's an irresistible chance, but stick with the draft. Ignoring it is how we ended up needing to engage in such an all-encompassing rebuild in the first place.

Last edited:
Agree with Barrels on this.
We're clearly on the right track but still need to be patient and let Trout & Bains set us up for long term success.
We already have more talent on the list than our last challenge IMO.

To throw the farm at one or two FA's now would mean we cut short our true build and either shorten the length of success or lower the level we can get to overall.
It would be a shame to start too early as we'd then start drafting top ups in a few short years which will send us backwards.

Stick to the plan IMO.

Last edited:
He's our Jake Stringer

Stringer wishes he had Membrey's work rate.

Super talent for sure but already has a habit of trying to cheat out the back and then point fingers when he doesnt get it lace out and on a silver platter.

I'm completely cold on the idea of selling the farm to get a big fish in FA next year/year after.

I'm comfortable to us looking at and getting a mid-range FA, but don't feel like we'll need to pay overs to get in quality talent TBH.

The work list management has done to "fill up" our 21-26 year old range, which was completely empty only 2-3 years ago, has been exceptional.

Got some really elite talent (Billings, Bruce) and some very good talent on our list and they'll continue to get better.

No doubt we are gonna really feel the pain when Riewoldt goes, he's a champion. Best I've seen play for the Saints. Posted a tribute to him the other week, a true warrior. Confident that Bruce, Membery, McCartin can provide decent cover though. I think we're all guessing on McCartin but his recent VFL performances have been impressive.

Montagna, will be missed, for his leadership and he's obviously a very good and smart player but I think he's got a few years left and think with the midfield talent we've got - we will be able to cover him.

Fisher, Dempster coming to an end is the worry for me IMO. We lack that real versatile defender coming through. Dempster is criminally underated on here, Fisher has been a great player.

You know who I feel sorry for? Matthew Knights...

Had an ordinary list and coached an attacking game plan, was given the assurance that he'd stay on for his contract, but was sacked two weeks later for an unproven narcissistic flog who's run their cesspit of a club into the ground.

During that time, Knights has won a VFL flag.

IMO Roo moves further up the ground when Paddy plays.
If its working well Roo wing / def.
Not working sub out Paddy or Membrey and Roo goes fwd.

Like the idea of Sinks rotating through the mid but geez he's so smart around goal and him with Billings and Lonie we are really dangerous up there.

How was Sinclair breaking from the middle and kicking from 50 meters though. He is an absolute gun. Hopefully we can use him and Billings as part time mid/forwards swapping between the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but if the opportunity arises to claim either an excellent key defender, or an elite mid, we should still heavily consider taking it.

If players develop the way we hope they do, especially Hugh and Paddy, I think that 2 or 3 more mids and another key defender is what we're missing. Whether they come from other clubs, internally or via the draft is question Trout and co. need to answer.

Had an ordinary list and coached an attacking game plan, was given the assurance that he'd stay on for his contract, but was sacked two weeks later for an unproven narcissistic flog who's run their cesspit of a club into the ground.

There will be 3 senior coach roles that need filling by the end of the year so he might be in with a chance to coach again. I hope none of our guys get poached for one of them. While it's a great indicator that we have a quality system it also weakens that system by taking talent out of it.

Has proven himself a very good development coach as well has Knights. Id have no issue getting him to the club if it was an option.

We don't need to sell the farm for a FA.

SC rules mean we will have $500k more than the 100% next year which is more than a million on this year.

Not selling the farm, we just need to know when to max out the credit card, next year or the year after.

Bear in mind you can only carry your underpaid SC into the following year, so we can carry this years into 2017.

We don't need to sell the farm for a FA.

SC rules mean we will have $500k more than the 100% next year which is more than a million on this year.

Not selling the farm, we just need to know when to max out the credit card, next year or the year after.

Bear in mind you can only carry your underpaid SC into the following year, so we can carry this years into 2017.

You mean 2016?

We still have Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster and Schneider to go soon, and Ray and Gilbert aren't young.

Early picks allow us to keep replenishing the list with quality, rather than mortgaging the farm on a FA earlier than we planned and when we're not ready. FAs are cream on top, not footsoldiers in a rebuild.

By all means, grab a FA if it's an irresistible chance, but stick with the draft. Ignoring it is how we ended up needing to engage in such an all-encompassing rebuild in the first place.
Really well said and sums up my thoughts well.. We are tracking well and have drafted beautifully but the next step will be continuing to move on the older blokes while staying at this level/ continuing to improve... Obviously our improvement this year has come from the younger blokes not older, but there's too much experience that we are inevitably going to lose over the next 2 years, expect another year like this one, maybe worse even, but continue to draft well, get games and experience into the kids and boom we will make our move... But it won't happen next year... Patience is still required

You mean 2016?

No, I mean you cant bank previous years 5% not paid in the SC

We can use 105% in 2016 because we used 95% in 2015.

However if we used only 99% in 2016 we cant add the 5% + the 1% and have 106% in 2017.

We could only have 101% in 2017. Only the one percent would count.

Long way to go.
Really important they have senior guys behind the ball Dempster , Gilbert , Geary , Fisher .
On every line Ray, Montagna across the Middle
Reiwoldt & Schneider directing traffic up forward.
Critical that Membrey & Bruce stand up during this period frees Reiwoldt around the ground.

With the stability it give guys like Roberton the confidence to take the game on.

The young players just have to play their roles.

Happy days

So we can front load 2016 contracts using the 5% which would effectively leave space in 2017.
No wonder List Management is so important

I'm starting to see less trough coming though. We couldn't replace Riewoldt but we have Bruce who is firing and Paddy starting to show something. We have Lee moved back because we can't see options for him. We then have Spencer who could still make it and even Payne who looks a decent kid too. Dempster could be replaced longer term by an Acres, Mc Kenzie type or even Tom Lee. Goddard could replace Fisher. Schneider will get overtaken by Billings and Lonie and Sinclair are possible too. We need another Joey but FA or trade and the draft should help there. Wight or Saunders are still possibles too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back