Review Post Game vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the 1st Q again, and I think it was a case of us being good rather than them being bad. First to the ball, strong marking, seniors leading and directing, pinpoint passing most of the time, sustained pressure after turnovers, Richo must have loved that.

I think GWS are gonna have to bring more than talent on the weekend.

All game, I loved the vision of the coaching boxes. James Hird looked like he was lost after the first quarter started. He can say his players stopped playing, but he CLEARLY stopped coaching. He gave up. Unless he was texting secretly under the desk. If he was texting it would probably have read "WTF? FFS!!!!!". He gave his players NO chance.

His captain Jobe Watson, Essendon Brownlow medalist and son of Dons hero Tim, had said during that week that he was thinking of retiring, then said he was thinking about relinquishing the captaincy. During the week he was due to celebrate his 200th game!
Just think about that for a moment. That's your CAPTAIN. I don't think that even during all the scandals the Saints players were involved in, Nick Riewoldt sounded as defeated as that.
386053_gp.jpg

If you are a young player at Essendon, your captain and coach have given up, every time they turn the ball over, where does the fire come from?

I enjoyed watching the game on replay today. It's the first time I've seen Essendon play in years; they've got some freaky looking players. Heppell looks like one of the main characters from Puberty Blues as reimagined by Jim "The Muppet Show" Henson. Bagley/Baguely/the flog who punched Lonie/Baglee looks like he should be in one of those glam metal 80s bands like Poison or Whitesnake or whatever. It must be hard getting respect from an AFL team when you look like a stereotype of a cokehead lesbian (no offence to real female lesbians) in their shiny black faux-leather singlet. Gleeson just looks like the human incarnation of a milk chocolate cat, can't believe this guy is an AFL player. Check the vision of him pushing joey out of the melee, it's laughable. He looks destined to be an AFL umpire. Daniher with that shitty 80s mo and hair looks like somebody's dad's prom photo nightmare and McKernan looks like he was raised in a 19-child family in a caravan park. If this is what drugs do to you, I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on my son as he grows up.

"Son, I don't want you touching that rubbish again, or you'll end up getting coached by James Hird"

James Hird can't coach. Just look at him sat there with the phone in his hand like he's stuck in a big automated customer support phone queue: "Press one if your team is being handed their arse by a hungrier unit. Please hold..."

I haven't watched much footy since Richo became coach, but last year when he witnessed a few beltings, did he just sit there with that "what are these jokers doing out there?" look on his face? I bet he didn't, cos he was thinking about how to coach his team through it. He probably wasn't there just glaring and zoning out, looking totally impotent. Why is Hird even in the box? He might as well have been in a corporate box. He is dog food as soon as the drugs thing is over, nothing surer, and its only his lack of humility stopping him from stepping down now.

Just look at the pressure on their players too. Look at Hooker, lining up for a shot when there was only a couple of goals between us early in the first. Full-on crapping himself. This is not a team that is supporting each other or playing for each other.

Essendon is a club with cancer, great to see us looking so much better in every facet. I wouldn't want a bar of any player infected by the Dons disease, not Carlisle, Goddard or anyone. Alright, maaayyyybe Laverde; he hasn't been there for long so there's still hope to rinse that Kool Aid out of him. Otherwise, maybe we can give them one of our second string for a 'Jack Lonie' pick in the draft.

I'm loving the promise of this season so far!

Please post more. A lot more. Haven't laughed as much as that in a long while!

Just watched the game for the second time and what a joy it was.

Ross was really encouraging. You can tell he is highly rated internally by the way Richo talks about him but also by Spud during the game. He has the ability to stand in tackles and when he gets more games and a bigger and harder body it will be even more pronounced. Is starting to build very nicely and looking forward to seeing how he ends the season.

Roberton was also immense, and I would say he was in our best 3 players for the night. His drive off half back set us up beautifully moving forward, he evaded Essendon players with ease, hit targets and also defended hard when he had to.

Great effort and win by the team, looking for us to continue this kind of effort against GWS this weekend.
I only just caught up on the full replay. So impressed with the 21-23 yo. Roberton was superb. Newnes so underrated. He is a tough bugger. Bruce.

Ross, Longer, Webster really good. Some of Seb's tough inside work under appreciated. He is starting to become a strong unit as you say. I noticed him being tough to take down.

That 2011(?) draft is looking quite good.

Just re-read the last few pages of this thread.

I certainly haven't read the vitriol towards one of our losing opponents on a post game thread on this board.

I think a couple of factors come into play

1) The extent and the type of flogging we gave Essendope

2) There is a pent up anger toward Essendon from the average football supporter.

We saw what football means to the AFL community with the respect to Phil Walsh

Essendon has tried to drag our game through the mud, with this hideous scandal. For years they have denied, used propoganda, taken the AFL to court, all the while hijacking the football seasons.

We are sick of it, we have had enough, and now we rejoice in these victim mentality, self entitled recidivist cheats and we are all venting our spleen.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I rejoice in their pain.

I love they way they are using WADA as an excuse. Look at the spud list and useless coach you bunch of feckless muppets. Take responsibility and face reality.

Actually better still DONT!!!!!

Will enjoy watching Essendon collapse into the Carlton of this decade.

CHEATS

Just re-read the last few pages of this thread.

I certainly haven't read the vitriol towards one of our losing opponents on a post game thread on this board.

I think a couple of factors come into play

1) The extent and the type of flogging we gave Essendope

2) There is a pent up anger toward Essendon from the average football supporter.

We saw what football means to the AFL community with the respect to Phil Walsh

Essendon has tried to drag our game through the mud, with this hideous scandal. For years they have denied, used propoganda, taken the AFL to court, all the while hijacking the football seasons.

We are sick of it, we have had enough, and now we rejoice in these victim mentality, self entitled recidivist cheats and we are all venting our spleen.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I rejoice in their pain.

I love they way they are using WADA as an excuse. Look at the spud list and useless coach you bunch of feckless muppets. Take responsibility and face reality.

Actually better still DONT!!!!!

Will enjoy watching Essendon collapse into the Carlton of this decade.

CHEATS

I love the fact they are going to keep Hird. Well at this point they are saying they are. I know Carltank said the same about Malthouse but I believe (and hope) they will keep Hird because these idiots at Essendon are still holding on to the reputation he had as a player, which has since long gone. As an icon at the club, the board are fearful to get rid of him. While he's still at Essendon, they're f**ked IMHO.

Agreed. He'll coach at a minimum this year. The Bombers don't have an endless supply of cash and the legal fees/fines etc have been significant so far. Personally think he'll coach this season. WADA will bring down judgement in the off season hopefully, assuming players are rubbed out then Hird will be sacked, (will be interesting to see if he gets paid out).

Then a new coach will come in and the club will have to be cleared out from an admin perspective. A new coach and a new administration to bring about a rebirth of a club and they will have to start again and let me tell you it will take years and years.....it will be interesting to see how many supporters stick by the club, especially when you're used to so many premiership cups since the early 80's....
What your forgetting here though is as bad as the Essendon brand is tarnished, Hird's "it's all about me" attitude and their performance is going to Impact supporters buying memberships and also corporate sponsors. I know a few Essendon supporters and they've had a gut full of Hird. While he's there they are bleeding cash. His payout is large too I know, but the longer he's there, the longer they will take to recover. Either way they're f**cked, isn't it great! In saying all that, extend him for 10 years I say!!! Ha ha ha.

I just watched the 1st Q again, and I think it was a case of us being good rather than them being bad. First to the ball, strong marking, seniors leading and directing, pinpoint passing most of the time, sustained pressure after turnovers, Richo must have loved that.

All game, I loved the vision of the coaching boxes. James Hird looked like he was lost after the first quarter started. He can say his players stopped playing, but he CLEARLY stopped coaching. He gave up. Unless he was texting secretly under the desk. If he was texting it would probably have read "WTF? FFS!!!!!". He gave his players NO chance.

His captain Jobe Watson, Essendon Brownlow medalist and son of Dons hero Tim, had said during that week that he was thinking of retiring, then said he was thinking about relinquishing the captaincy. During the week he was due to celebrate his 200th game!
Just think about that for a moment. That's your CAPTAIN. I don't think that even during all the scandals the Saints players were involved in, Nick Riewoldt sounded as defeated as that.
386053_gp.jpg

If you are a young player at Essendon, your captain and coach have given up, every time they turn the ball over, where does the fire come from?

I enjoyed watching the game on replay today. It's the first time I've seen Essendon play in years; they've got some freaky looking players. Heppell looks like one of the main characters from Puberty Blues as reimagined by Jim "The Muppet Show" Henson. Bagley/Baguely/the flog who punched Lonie/Baglee looks like he should be in one of those glam metal 80s bands like Poison or Whitesnake or whatever. It must be hard getting respect from an AFL team when you look like a stereotype of a cokehead lesbian (no offence to real female lesbians) in their shiny black faux-leather singlet. Gleeson just looks like the human incarnation of a milk chocolate cat, can't believe this guy is an AFL player. Check the vision of him pushing joey out of the melee, it's laughable. He looks destined to be an AFL umpire. Daniher with that shitty 80s mo and hair looks like somebody's dad's prom photo nightmare and McKernan looks like he was raised in a 19-child family in a caravan park. If this is what drugs do to you, I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on my son as he grows up.

"Son, I don't want you touching that rubbish again, or you'll end up getting coached by James Hird"

James Hird can't coach. Just look at him sat there with the phone in his hand like he's stuck in a big automated customer support phone queue: "Press one if your team is being handed their arse by a hungrier unit. Please hold..."

I haven't watched much footy since Richo became coach, but last year when he witnessed a few beltings, did he just sit there with that "what are these jokers doing out there?" look on his face? I bet he didn't, cos he was thinking about how to coach his team through it. He probably wasn't there just glaring and zoning out, looking totally impotent. Why is Hird even in the box? He might as well have been in a corporate box. He is dog food as soon as the drugs thing is over, nothing surer, and its only his lack of humility stopping him from stepping down now.

Just look at the pressure on their players too. Look at Hooker, lining up for a shot when there was only a couple of goals between us early in the first. Full-on crapping himself. This is not a team that is supporting each other or playing for each other.

Essendon is a club with cancer, great to see us looking so much better in every facet. I wouldn't want a bar of any player infected by the Dons disease, not Carlisle, Goddard or anyone. Alright, maaayyyybe Laverde; he hasn't been there for long so there's still hope to rinse that Kool Aid out of him. Otherwise, maybe we can give them one of our second string for a 'Jack Lonie' pick in the draft.

Daniher with that shitty 80s mo and hair looks like somebody's dad's prom photo nightmare and McKernan looks like he was raised in a 19-child family in a caravan park. If this is what drugs do to you, I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on my son as he grows up.

[/QUOTE]
Absolute comedy gold. I hate these Frankenstein creatures. Deserve all they get. Guinea pigs following a cult leader. Bet Kim Jong-un has a membership.

I still remember after we beat the druggies last year reading what an arrogant Bombers fan wrote on their game day thread:

"Josh Bruce is the perfect St Kilda player.

He's done nothing in his career, I mean he's really quite bad. You'd be a bit embarrassed to say he was playing for your club. Yet he's still inexplicably arrogant."

I just love that Bruce puts them to the sword whenever he plays them. Have a feeling the Bombers are gonna be Bruce's bunnies for many years to come too.

Daniher with that shitty 80s mo and hair looks like somebody's dad's prom photo nightmare and McKernan looks like he was raised in a 19-child family in a caravan park. If this is what drugs do to you, I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on my son as he grows up.
Absolute comedy gold. I hate these Frankenstein creatures. Deserve all they get. Guinea pigs following a cult leader. Bet Kim Jong-un has a membership.[/QUOTE]

There is some great stuff in the last page or so

About 18 months ago I was standing with a group of parents whilst our kids took part in a Aussie Hoops basketball session. I was having a chat with a fella who's kids have been through kinder & various sporting commitments with ours when he commented on my little guy wearing his Saints hat,

"gee that's a bit cruel isn't it"?

I thought he was mucking around & I replied that 'well Dad didn't give me a chance so he's not getting one!'.... then he continued on, basically saying I should let my kids support a club that has got a chance at success.

I kept my cool (as I had to back then with all the anti-Saints sniping that went on) and said "well at least he doesn't barrack for Essendon. They are in all sorts of trouble & it ain't going to end well".

Now I promise that I didn't know that he was an Essendon supporter but do you reckon that shut him up quickly!

I occasionally see him now...I might have to remind him of our little conversation from 2013.

What your forgetting here though is as bad as the Essendon brand is tarnished, Hird's "it's all about me" attitude and their performance is going to Impact supporters buying memberships and also corporate sponsors. I know a few Essendon supporters and they've had a gut full of Hird. While he's there they are bleeding cash. His payout is large too I know, but the longer he's there, the longer they will take to recover. Either way they're f**cked, isn't it great! In saying all that, extend him for 10 years I say!!! Ha ha ha.

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: Crying with laughter at that.

Nailed it with Baguely looking 80s - he looks like the ideal candidate to play the bad guy in a Karate Kid remake if the cast was assembled of people who had accidentally caught fire whilst being treated for a stroke.

About 18 months ago I was standing with a group of parents whilst our kids took part in a Aussie Hoops basketball session. I was having a chat with a fella who's kids have been through kinder & various sporting commitments with ours when he commented on my little guy wearing his Saints hat,

"gee that's a bit cruel isn't it"?

I thought he was mucking around & I replied that 'well Dad didn't give me a chance so he's not getting one!'.... then he continued on, basically saying I should let my kids support a club that has got a chance at success.

I kept my cool (as I had to back then with all the anti-Saints sniping that went on) and said "well at least he doesn't barrack for Essendon. They are in all sorts of trouble & it ain't going to end well".

Now I promise that I didn't know that he was an Essendon supporter but do you reckon that shut him up quickly!

I occasionally see him now...I might have to remind him of our little conversation from 2013.
Supporting an underdog team gives you character, im so glad I got grew up with the saints doctrine and not the filth/scum's! That guy is obviously a simple minded fool and a douche bag. end rant

Supporting an underdog team gives you character, im so glad I got grew up with the saints doctrine and not the filth/scum's! That guy is obviously a simple minded fool and a douche bag. end rant

Absolutely. character building.

He's another one of those good blokes who barracks for an ar5ehole club & thus turns into an ar5hole whenever discussing footy.

386053_gp.jpg

Excellent post. Spot on. Hird's coaching ability (or lack thereof) is an unlimited source of amusement. Every time they cut to the coaching box during the game I had flashbacks of my coaches from u9s footy. I don't think it's a matter of coincidence that Hirds only experience is coaching his kid's u9 team at Prahran. At least my coaches weren't fiddling with magnets for fun.

Excellent post. Spot on. Hird's coaching ability (or lack thereof) is an unlimited source of amusement. Every time they cut to the coaching box during the game I had flashbacks of my coaches from u9s footy. I don't think it's a matter of coincidence that Hirds only experience is coaching his kid's u9 team at Prahran. At least my coaches weren't fiddling with magnets for fun.
We're sending the backs forward and the forwards back! Kick it up the guts!

*. James Hird literally coaches like an under 9s coach.

I don't mind if they keep their guys rather than burning them for nothing and making someone else better. Essendon is finished anyway. Hope they don't make a future contender stronger.

Let's take the "don't sack Hird" sentiment back to the beginning of this saga. Thank god the got rid of Evans before he could cut a deal with city hall. Imagine if Hird had been sacked. Right now we'd be dealing with the "bring back Hird" call from all of the worshippers who felt he was unfairly treated. Instead, the Hird lovers dwindle by the day. Soon there will be none left. He'll never coach a premiership. When he's finally sacked, no one will ever call for his return.

Can we keep this thread going for the rest of the season please?

I never want their humiliation or our revelling in it to end.

I still remember after we beat the druggies last year reading what an arrogant Bombers fan wrote on their game day thread:

"Josh Bruce is the perfect St Kilda player.

He's done nothing in his career, I mean he's really quite bad. You'd be a bit embarrassed to say he was playing for your club. Yet he's still inexplicably arrogant."

I just love that Bruce puts them to the sword whenever he plays them. Have a feeling the Bombers are gonna be Bruce's bunnies for many years to come too.

Hey I remember that comment too. Good memory narks. I'll give you a classic example of an Essendon supporter that sums them up. In 2011 my wife invited the mothers group to our house and invites the husbands to meet. i only have one big saints photo out and it's in the spare room, it's the remember moorabbin collage the club released in 2010 when we moved to Seaford. Anyway, one the couples arrives, the husband walks in, who I'd never met by the way, sees the picture, shakes my hand, I say g'day and hand him a beer and this is what he says. "So do you follow the saints? Gee they're a s**t club, how can you follow them?" Now, I'd never met this guy before but I was f**kin fuming but didn't show it and just said "let me guess, do you follow Essendon?" He says, "how did you know that?" I replied with "just a guess, I can tell" and there you have it, your typical arrogant Essendon supporter. Pack of turds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back