Post Game vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

It is always difficult at the start of the year. We inevitably get excited as the preseason commences and it is a letdown when it dawns on you just how far off the pace we still are. Sure it's one game, sure's it's NAB Cup, sure it's the Hawks, and sure we had a lot of players missing. However, the reality is that was not an AFL standard football team we saw last night. Not even close. I am sure it will improve as the season goes on, but we are clearly going to have a long year. People are naturally going to get frustrated after performances like that.

I also don't agree with supporters talking about ditching the club etc, but likewise I don't agree with jumping all over anybody who has the audacity to comment on the fact we sucked last night. You are calling people out for being too emotive after a loss, but in the same breath calling them stupid and pathetic. It is going to be a long season, and even longer one if you take offence to every comment that isn't some variation of "Everything's awesome"......
That's bullshit.

Everything is most definitely NOT awesome, not even close, and I've never said it is, but the kind of hysterical and histrionic rubbish that's being tossed around is just pathetic.

We won the 'spoon last year - so we were already an ordinary side - and then we copped a host of injuries just before we played the reigning Premiers who were ramping up for Round 1. What were people expecting?

By all means, say the effort and skills levels were lacking entirely or in part, but acknowledge the mitigating issues; the current ranting and raving is childish.

Equally, anyone saying 'all is roses' is a deluded clown, but to say that calling people out for their hysteria is akin to getting offended that they didn't say 'everything is awesome' is neither accurate nor particularly intelligent.

Last edited:
Just a little further perspective: who were leadership group representatives last night? No Roo, no Geary, no Armitage, and Montagna was injured and MIA from somewhere in the second quarter. That left Dempster, Mav and Jill out there to lead that group. Newnes is on 47 games, Mav on 48. Maverick Weller did the half-time leadership talk for our team last night, okay? He was effectively our captain for the second half.

Just let that sink in for a second.

That not only shows how lean we were in terms of leadership out there, but also - Wow, Mav, well done man. In a nightmare tough game, you stood up and took responsibility, and inspired several other young men to take responsibility, too.

In his presser, Richo said Hawthorn made us look like kids. Well, that's because we were kids. But we also saw glimmers of the men they can become.

I'm getting prouder every second of those young men out there last night.

This is why we should trust mav

That's bullshit.

Everything is most definitely NOT awesome, not even close, and I've never said it is, but the kind of hysterical and histrionic rubbish that's being tossed around is just pathetic.

We won the 'spoon last year - so we were already an ordinary side - and then we copped a host of injuries just before we played the reigning Premiers who were ramping up for Round 1. What were people expecting?

By all means, say the effort and skills levels were lacking entirely or in part, but acknowledge the mitigating issues; the current ranting and raving is childish.

Equally, anyone saying 'all is roses' is a deluded clown, but to say that calling people out for their hysteria is akin to getting offended that they didn't say 'everything is awesome' is neither accurate nor particularly intelligent.
Our fans don't need anyones permission to feel the pain and disappointment of a huge loss, and social media has made it very easy for people of both sides (the doom and gloomers and the rose colored glasses brigade) to express their polar opposite opinions to a wider audience than ever before, an audience who somehow feel it is their right to judge complete strangers motivations and personalities from behind a computer screen.

I just have my say and generally ignore the comments I disagree with. It's easier that way.

Our fans don't need anyones permission to feel the pain and disappointment of a huge loss, and social media has made it very easy for people of both sides (the doom and gloomers and the rose colored glasses brigade) to express their polar opposite opinions to a wider audience than ever before, an audience who somehow feel it is their right to judge complete strangers motivations and personalities from behind a computer screen.

I just have my say and generally ignore the comments I disagree with. It's easier that way.
Well Said

Lol at people shitcanning Dunstan. His DE was down because he was one of the only guys creating play, it just didn't work out about half the time because a) full strength premiers b) working out game plan

People are s**t canning Shenton a guy with about 15 AFL games despite the fact he is a SANFL medium tall forward who has played a season of VFL as a rebounding back and then despite being about our 4 th most effective player in SC scores is bagged out as not up to it. Dempster kicked out probably the most comical kick out against essendon ever but is not bagged. Fisher, Joey etc are left alone but a guy getting to the ball is ridiculed by his own fans. Not the greatest display of positivity from fans last night. It was never going to be pretty.

People are s**t canning Shenton a guy with about 15 AFL games despite the fact he is a SANFL medium tall forward who has played a season of VFL as a rebounding back and then despite being about our 4 th most effective player in SC scores is bagged out as not up to it. Dempster kicked out probably the most comical kick out against essendon ever but is not bagged. Fisher, Joey etc are left alone but a guy getting to the ball is ridiculed by his own fans. Not the greatest display of positivity from fans last night. It was never going to be pretty.

With all due respect, SC scores are misleading at the best of times, a long kick to the contest is counted as being effective. I saw on at least 4 different occasions, where he refused to kick to Mav on the wing and we had a chain of players ready to go once Mav got possession, leading straight to a shot on goal. He refused to pull the trigger on each occasion - they were simple 25m kicks. Shenton had a few good moments, but overall I wasn't very impressed.

For the record I have always had issues with Shenton, he does some things very well (picks when to come off his man and help others, good speed and tenacity) but he does some others really bad (his kicking, his ability to hold a forward down and decision making, fumbles). CJ regularly racked up SC scores but I am still very glad he's out of our team now, we can't afford the skill errors and fumbles.

Dunstan is not a great kick.... I think that was fairly obvious last year... He's got a bit of Libba about his kicking, no real penetration, serviceable but not damaging by any means. Chips it a lot...
He is a good accumulator, has great hands off the deck... And a very good hand baller .... Tough.
But very slow and average by foot.... Like Plough Wallace as a player

Oh, and St Luke
A ? Generally means a question is being asked... Doesn't it?

It wasn't a statement about Mav/Acres... I never saw the game.

Anyone notice a connection between the availability of Armitage and our results?

He wins first possession often and more importantly what sets him apart is that he puts enormous pressure on the opposition if they get first possession.
With out him, our pressure around the footy is poor

Imo he is our most important player

Disposal is shocking, especially through the middle
Steven, Dunstan, Ray, Curran, Ross, Montagna, Acres, Weller, Newnes,
Not one A Grade kick amongst them

Really need Billings and Webters foot skills and I think Newnes and Acres will be ok in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im just going to focus on the positives from that match:)

Our Jumper looks better than theirs:thumbsu:

If it was a competition to see who kicked the most 'Super Goals' WE WON!!!:thumbsu:

Tom Hickey's clumsiness hurt somebody else and not himself:thumbsu: Breust will be sitting on a blow up ring for a week:p

Only 7077 people actually saw it:thumbsu:

Dermott Borington did no harm to his reputation as a tosser:thumbsu:

For the record I have always had issues with Shenton, he does some things very well (picks when to come off his man and help others, good speed and tenacity) but he does some others really bad (his kicking, his ability to hold a forward down and decision making, fumbles). CJ regularly racked up SC scores but I am still very glad he's out of our team now, we can't afford the skill errors and fumbles.

I don't think Shenton should have been kicking out and we lacked run with out Wright. I would say that Dempster, Delaney etc all are going to struggle kicking out. I think Shenton has copped it from day one when he's been extremely serviceable for a rookie. He is kicking out when his experience level and kicking should make it a no no. That's the coaches fault.

Anyone notice a connection between the availability of Armitage and our results?

He wins first possession often and more importantly what sets him apart is that he puts enormous pressure on the opposition if they get first possession.
With out him, our pressure around the footy is poor

Imo he is our most important player

Disposal is shocking, especially through the middle
Steven, Dunstan, Ray, Curran, Ross, Montagna, Acres, Weller, Newnes,
Not one A Grade kick amongst them

Armo definitely makes us walk a little taller. Hamill was a bit the same when the last generation came through. He contests and brings it back to a bit more of a scrappy arm wrestle. Geary too. You need some guys who make the opposition pull back a little.

Who's our best leap at the club. Maybe need a 4th mid who can jump instead of a 2nd ruc at the centre bounces could work.

I don't think Shenton should have been kicking out and we lacked run with out Wright. I would say that Dempster, Delaney etc all are going to struggle kicking out. I think Shenton has copped it from day one when he's been extremely serviceable for a rookie. He is kicking out when his experience level and kicking should make it a no no. That's the coaches fault.
I was struggling watching Shelton go way back behind the mark every time he had it and taking for ever to choose a target - he usually found one but by then everything else had well and truly been shut down -- maybe that's a team coaching issue the players up the ground maybe need to anticipate a saints possession and make position to accommodate the next move so a guy getting the ball has the confidence to turn to see that someone has given him an option - no doubt that's the idea but we just aren't up to it yet

One positive. We are not as bad as melbourne. They are a disgrace
Why aren't we ?
Don't think they have done to much wrong over the pre season, Have they ?

Well put it this way; at least we could beat (flog) the Essendope top ups unlike Melbourne.

But yeah Melbourne losing the top ups is not good for them. Maybe it puts things into perspective....

Reckon its a 3 way race between us the Doggies and Melbourne for the spoon (for those old enough they were the same 3 teams in the early and mid 80's who would be down the bottom - kind of sad and ironic really :()

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back