Post your favourite song of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I want people to bite the bullet and post their favourite song of all time and a little blurb about why they have chosen that one.

The song I have chosen was one that I have loved since I first heard it when on the radio when I was fourteen years old. I went straight out and bought the 45 record of it. Over the next several months I played it several times a day. My tastes have changed over the years but I have never lost my love for this song and still thirty years later put it often and play it over and over again. With apologies to a few others, Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis and Common People by Pulp in particular, my favourite song of all time is:

So I was in a really dark place in life, had lost people I cared about, was feeling as though I was going nowhere in life and was questioning what my existence was all about. Call it depression, an existential crisis, a crippling state of ennui, it doesn't matter, I had it and it was making basic human function difficult.

But then I found this song. It spoke to me. It had a beauty that was undeniable. It had the sort of effect on me that one can't truly describe, yet many before me have and many after me will try to. It was maybe the only thing I had to turn to for some time. It got me through the bad times, which is why it is still with me during the good times. It, simply, saved my life.

I was 8 years old, walking home from school when I walked in front of a van at Kelvin Grove primary in Brisbane. Don't remember it, don't remember a week before it, all I remember is waking up in the intensive care ward at the Royal Women's and Children's hospital. Long story short, had a pretty severe head knock and was thrashing around before an induced coma. So in order to get me to calm down and lower my heartrate, mum chucked some headphones on me and played this song. Been in love with it ever since.

I can't separate these songs as my all-time favorite....

Reasoning....they're ****-ing mayhemic, dark, insane, enraged, disturbed....like me inside....

....................actually, **** it, there are a bunch more Ministry/RevCo songs I'd add here.

Fine selection. Ministry remain one of the best live bands I've ever seen - sheer power coming off the stage. I've seen literally thousands of bands and they still remain right up there with the best.

GG doesn't understand the concept of one obviously.:confused::p

RECOVERY [Version 2] by Curve.

RECOVERY hasn't always been my favourite song, previously it was Blondie's ATTACK OF THE GIANTS ANTS or ATOMIC, but this song just blew me away when I first heard it, especially how it builds over the first 2-2½ minutes before the wonderful "sonic fusion" of guitar, bass and keys takes over for about 30 seconds all with Toni screaming in background. It gave my shivers down my spine, I was totally knocked out that I listened to it continuously for about the next hour. I still listen to this once or twice a day and I still get the shivers down my spine.

RECOVERY was originally released on Curve's comeback "PINK GILL WITH THE BLUES" EP in 1996. My preferred version is the second from the "COME CLEAN" album.

Please note: This isn't a music video.

I have a lot of favourites, but I can't go past Yellow Ledbetter. There is just this magical synthesis of melody, space, feeling and soul in this song that is rare in songwriting for everything to meet up in the one place..
The fact that Pearl Jam did not include it in Ten is bizzare, same goes for State of Love and Trust..

Apologies to Neil Young's Ambulance Blues, The Beatles.. A Day in the Life, Velvet Undergrounds Heroin, Queens bohemian rhapsody, New Orders Crystal, Radioheads Cuttooth ..and loads more great songs...

I'm going to post the demo, because the studio version is easy for everyone to hear/access..

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter ..

Last edited:

Weezer - Only In Dreams
The Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Wind Phoenix
Modest Mouse - Dramamine
Pavement - Stop Breathing'
Elliott Smith - Waltz #2
The National - The Geese of Beverly Road
At The Drive-In - Pattern Against User
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now (But Nowhere)
Trophy Scars - Alligator. Alligators.
As Cities Burn - Lady Blue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my fave of the day is lazy by deep purple.
it has a bit of everything superb keyboards,vocals and a nice blusey ending.
always puts me in a good frame of mind.
Great choice Muff Man;)
The opening keyboard riff is a ripper.

I'll go with Evie as it was a revelation when released and still brings back teenage memories.

Been thinking about this for a while, it's too hard to narrow to just one but if forced at gunpoint I gotta go with Baker Street, closely followed in no particular order by All Along the Watchtower/Hendrix, LA Woman/The Doors, Powderfinger/Neil Young, The Weight/The Band, Ramble On/Led Zep, Wichita Lineman/Glen Campbell, Fool on the Hill/The Beatles, It's a Long Way to the Top/ACDC, edit & The Funeral/Band of Horse is a s**t hot song as well

I don't think it's D'arcy at all.

I think they got a look of her to portray her in the video. In terms with the name , i have no absolutely no idea...

I'm pretty busy, could you help an old mate out and find out?;)

After going over this for a while I've settled on Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. Still holds up today as eerie, heavy and well paced. When this came out there was nothing else like it, but I'm sure others here will give examples. For a young bunch of blokes in Birmingham they sure captured the despair, alienation and anger they collectively felt in that era. That tritone would of got you killed in another time.

They launched a genre that has given me a lot of joy & comfort, & for that I am eternally grateful.

Enjoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back