Post your favourite song of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changed a bit over time. The songs that could claim the title at some point are:

Bohemian rhapsody : Queen, Champagne Supernova : Oasis, Paranoid Android: Radiohead, Drapery Falls : Opeth and Providence: Godspeed you Black Emperor.

My favourite since 2012 has been The Sound by Swans

I have a lot of songs that have rotated through the #1 slot over the years.

Present Tense by Pearl Jam is right up there. Lyrically perfect and just musically so clean, the outtro transcendent.

A Day In The Life by The Beatles is genius but simple, unique. I love the original and I love it when covered by anyone.

But the #1...

Incident On 57th Street - Bruce Springsteen. Basically the most beautiful song I've ever heard, lyrically and musically.

The original, as heard on "The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle" is outstanding but I've posted a solo piano version from 2002.

Enjoy.

Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night
With bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat-up old Buick but dressed just like dynamite
He tried sellin' his heart to the hard girls over on Easy Street
But they sighed, "Johnny, it falls apart so easy and you know hearts these days are cheap"
And the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a cheater"
Well, the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a liar"
And from out of the shadows came a young girl's voice
Said, "Johnny, don't cry"
Puerto Rican Jane, oh, won't you tell me what's your name
I want to drive you down to the other side of town
Where paradise ain't so crowded, there'll be action goin' down on Shanty Lane tonight
All them golden heeled fairies in a real bitch fight pull thirty-eights and kiss the girls goodnight

Oh, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Now let them black boys in to light the soul flame
We may find it out on the street tonight, baby
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe

Well, like a cool Romeo he made his moves, ah, she looked so fine
And like a late Juliet she knew he'd never be true, but then she didn't really mind
Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about going home
She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight, but just don't leave me alone"
And Johnny cried, "Puerto Rican Jane, word is down the cops have found the vein"
Well, them barefoot boys, they left their homes for the woods
Them little barefoot street boys, they said homes ain't no good
They left the corners, threw away all of their switchblade knives
And kissed each other goodbye

Johnny was sittin' on the fire escape watchin' the kids playin' down in the street
He called down, "Hey, little heroes, summer's long, but I guess it ain't very sweet around here anymore"
Janey sleeps in sheets damp with sweat; Johnny sits up alone and watches her dream on, dream on
And the sister prays for lost souls, then breaks down in the chapel after everyone's gone
Jane moves over to share her pillow but opens her eyes to see Johnny up and putting his clothes on
She sighs, "Those romantic young boys, all they ever want to do is fight"
Those romantic young boys, they're callin' through the window:
"Hey, Spanish Johnny, you want to make a little easy money tonight?"
And Johnny whispered, "Goodnight, it's all right, Jane
I'll meet you tomorrow night on Lover's Lane
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe"

Well, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Now we may find it out on, on the street tonight, baby
Or we may have to walk until the morning light, maybe

Goodnight, it's all right, Jane...

I have a lot of songs that have rotated through the #1 slot over the years.

Present Tense by Pearl Jam is right up there. Lyrically perfect and just musically so clean, the outtro transcendent.

A Day In The Life by The Beatles is genius but simple, unique. I love the original and I love it when covered by anyone.

But the #1...

Incident On 57th Street - Bruce Springsteen. Basically the most beautiful song I've ever heard, lyrically and musically.

The original, as heard on "The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle" is outstanding but I've posted a solo piano version from 2002.

Enjoy.

Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night
With bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat-up old Buick but dressed just like dynamite
He tried sellin' his heart to the hard girls over on Easy Street
But they sighed, "Johnny, it falls apart so easy and you know hearts these days are cheap"
And the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a cheater"
Well, the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a liar"
And from out of the shadows came a young girl's voice
Said, "Johnny, don't cry"
Puerto Rican Jane, oh, won't you tell me what's your name
I want to drive you down to the other side of town
Where paradise ain't so crowded, there'll be action goin' down on Shanty Lane tonight
All them golden heeled fairies in a real bitch fight pull thirty-eights and kiss the girls goodnight

Oh, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Now let them black boys in to light the soul flame
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe

Well, like a cool Romeo he made his moves, ah, she looked so fine
And like a late Juliet she knew he'd never be true, but then she didn't really mind
Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about going home
She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight, but just don't leave me alone"
And Johnny cried, "Puerto Rican Jane, word is down the cops have found the vein"
Well, them barefoot boys, they left their homes for the woods
Them little barefoot street boys, they said homes ain't no good
They left the corners, threw away all of their switchblade knives
And kissed each other goodbye

Johnny was sittin' on the fire escape watchin' the kids playin' down in the street
He called down, "Hey, little heroes, summer's long, but I guess it ain't very sweet around here anymore"
Janey sleeps in sheets damp with sweat; Johnny sits up alone and watches her dream on, dream on
And the sister prays for lost souls, then breaks down in the chapel after everyone's gone
Jane moves over to share her pillow but opens her eyes to see Johnny up and putting his clothes on
She sighs, "Those romantic young boys, all they ever want to do is fight"
Those romantic young boys, they're callin' through the window:
"Hey, Spanish Johnny, you want to make a little easy money tonight?"
And Johnny whispered, "Goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe"

Well, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Now we may find it out on, on the street tonight, baby
Or we may have to walk until the morning light, maybe

Goodnight, it's all right, Jane...

Three great songs... just saw Chris Cornell two weeks ago do a cover of A Day In The Life. Mind blowing version.

Although I’ve had too many favourites – and there would be too many apologies to name – this is one I always come back to ever since I first heard it on an old vinyl. The totally mysterious lyrics remind me of Elizabeth Kantor’s description of an Ernest Hemingway hero as a sinner on the run (so exciting, although I’ve never read Hemingway and don’t intend to) and the energy of Kate’s voice is rivalled only by ‘The Big Sky’. The song’s move from gorgeous quivering to a full crescendo amazes me still about fifteen years after I first heard it.

Last edited:
Ah man. I think since I learned how to play this on guitar back in high school this probably still reigns supreme as my favourite song. Playing for hours on end to perfect that solo... The Killers definitely have dropped off in quality over the last – god, nearly decade now – but Sam's Town remains one of the only CDs I ever bought and it still sits on my mantelpiece today (I was a man of more questionable listening methods [and questionable taste] in my youth)

That last verse is amazing with its emotion and Flowers performs it live just as well as he does on record. Then the little outro too, the high notes... There are many, many bands that I enjoy more than these guys but for some reason this song just sticks with me. I'll never tire of hearing it.

Honourable mentions go to:
Arctic Monkeys – Too Much to Ask
Bloc Party – Like Eating Glass
The Strokes – Hard to Explain
Kanye West – Devil in a New Dress
Los Campesinos! – Hello Sadness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this song can just relax me even at my angriest it just puts my mind and body at rest love the song and Emmy is a great Singer it humbles me

On that note!

My favourite song ever. Also some of you have really bad music tastes.
It does seem that way to me, too, “Upgrayedd”. I do agree, even if I haven’t listened to them fully in years, that Godspeed You Black Emperor were (and are) a band of immense power and resonance with their dynamics.

I have a few but I'll post this one coz my love of this song has lasted the longest. I remember when I was 8 or 9 and my older brother was a massive Guns N Roses fan and he drove me to school one day and played this song. I remember being completely amazed by it. I don't think there's ever been a time I've heard it that I haven't loved it and gotten goosebumps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back