Post your ride...

Aug 3, 2006
Beside your Mum
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finally got my first road bike this week.

175164_4246875162517_1736168382_o.jpg

Merida Race Lite 905 http://www.merida.com.au/2011-bikes/road/road-race-lite-series/race-lite-905.htm

Aluminium frame
Carbon fork
Full Ultegra groupset (pedals to come!)
$1299

Looking forward to getting out and about bayside area and building up my fitness base from the lofty starting point of ZERO :)

First things first: Ditch all those reflectors as well as that bell. :)

Full ultegra for 1300? Muthergoose...

Don't like the Merida roadies admittedly, but you aren't complaining for that price. Their mounties are quality though.
Yep! Ultegra 6700 stuff.
2011 clearance for 2013 stock from Goldcross...
Right place, right time, right size.
The next bike along was the same Merida frame with a different paint job, 105 groupset and a 2012 model year for $1699!

Chuffed to say the least, was previously looking at $2300 to $2500 for a carbon frame Ultegra ride....

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
NEW S5 D.jpg

So i have got my new bike to replace my old S5 which snapped in half when hit by a car.

See my new S5 team with Ultegra di2 and zipp 303 CC firecrest wheels.... i am biased, but i think it looks super stealth.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
%%.jpg
&&.jpg
So if your bike got snapped in half when hit by a car, and you're still with us I must come to the conclusion that you are one tough mofo!

Oh yeah, nice bike :)

Il keep you posted on di2 - i think it will be awesome. I pick the bike up monday.

Ha ha - i was lucky more than anything.. especially when you these pics.

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I mourn for your loss, but with every loss comes a new better bike. Insurance companies have no idea...

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
So.. long time cycling fan, haven't ridden properly since I was a kid (now 26).. went out and just bought myself a bike to ride. Got myself a 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport C2. Haven't even taken it for a spin yet, gotta get comfortable first, I haven't ridden anything but mountain bikes which always had high handle bars... and I wasn't 6'4" back then.

Looks a good product if it suits your riding plan. I always like the idea of an Al frame for a general basher- especially if it does not flex when big boys like us get on.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
question - why do people keep suggesting that reflectors and bells be removed?

i know in the ACT these are required by law to ride on the road. i'd imagine it'd be the same everywhere.

beyond that, i can't understand why anyone would be so stupid as to remove safety components. (yes, i had a crash recently)

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
question - why do people keep suggesting that reflectors and bells be removed?

i know in the ACT these are required by law to ride on the road. i'd imagine it'd be the same everywhere.

beyond that, i can't understand why anyone would be so stupid as to remove safety components. (yes, i had a crash recently)

Reflectors on wheels are useless a car is side on, plus they are uncool. Better off with front and rear lights if it's dark (actually they are a must)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Reflectors on wheels are useless a car is side on, plus they are uncool. Better off with front and rear lights if it's dark (actually they are a must)

i understand that man - but to be really frank, removing safety implements that are required by law does not make you cool. and telling other people that they should do the same is irresponsible.

if anyone is riding a bike simply for the image, they're a dickhead.

but i've seen enough of you on the cycling forum to know that this isn't what motivates you to ride.

so, i understand that you have to love your bike - but why do you care whether your bike looks "cool" or not? don't you just want it to be as safe as possible, and to meet legal requirements?

i love cycling. i love meeting cyclists. but we are NOT a 'cool' people. we wear lycra that's too small for us. we go on pack rides on the weekend and for the last 20kms we pretend we're riding the tour de france. we leave sweaty arse marks in coffee shops. some of us (including me) are particularly uncool when there's 100+, lycra clad kilos on top of the bike.

no, "cool" should never be a consideration in how your bike looks. SAFETY should be your primary concern.

in addition to that, upholding the image of law abiding cyclists is far more important the upholding the image of looking 'cool' - cos while the rest of us are carrying on about law-ignoring drivers, you're making the rest of us look bad by flouting road laws yourself.

so to all those who have posted a picture of a bike without the mandatory bell and reflectors - your bike doesn't look cool. it looks s**t. you're making me look bad by association because you're ignoring legal requirements, and for some reason you value image over safety.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
i understand that man - but to be really frank, removing safety implements that are required by law does not make you cool. and telling other people that they should do the same is irresponsible.

if anyone is riding a bike simply for the image, they're a dickhead.

but i've seen enough of you on the cycling forum to know that this isn't what motivates you to ride.

so, i understand that you have to love your bike - but why do you care whether your bike looks "cool" or not? don't you just want it to be as safe as possible, and to meet legal requirements?

i love cycling. i love meeting cyclists. but we are NOT a 'cool' people. we wear lycra that's too small for us. we go on pack rides on the weekend and for the last 20kms we pretend we're riding the tour de france. we leave sweaty arse marks in coffee shops. some of us (including me) are particularly uncool when there's 100+, lycra clad kilos on top of the bike.

no, "cool" should never be a consideration in how your bike looks. SAFETY should be your primary concern.

in addition to that, upholding the image of law abiding cyclists is far more important the upholding the image of looking 'cool' - cos while the rest of us are carrying on about law-ignoring drivers, you're making the rest of us look bad by flouting road laws yourself.

so to all those who have posted a picture of a bike without the mandatory bell and reflectors - your bike doesn't look cool. it looks s**t. you're making me look bad by association because you're ignoring legal requirements, and for some reason you value image over safety.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure reflectors are not required by law, lights are if you are riding at night. Bells are required by law but I removed mine as it takes up space on my handlebars plus people respond to verbal notification a lot quicker than the bell. Fwiw how other people set their bikes up is none of my business, nor is whether they ride with a helmet or in all white Lycra (the biggest crime of all), don't get me wrong you are completely entitled to your opinion and most welcome to share it but preaching to people and abusing them probably isn't the right way to spread your message.

Back