Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm presently living in Lucca, Italy for a few weeks.
I'm staying with some Italian friends and enjoying speaking another language. It's a very beautiful and very old town, and one of the few remaining with its walls surrounding the city in tact. The wall is lined with enormous trees, changing colour for autumn, and so wide in places they play soccer on top.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444487449.379008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444489304.222118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444488039.110572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444489260.971941.jpg

Last edited:

I went to Pisa for the afternoon, and it is always a joy to arrive here - at the Piazza of the Miracles
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444488724.825331.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444489403.072897.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444489454.775894.jpg

This is a school where all the brightest students in all of Italy go. Everything is covered by a scholarship, and they are taught and mentored by the highest scholars and Nobel prize winners etc
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444488431.439717.jpg

Last edited:
I went to Pisa for the afternoon, and it is always a joy to arrive here - at the Piazza of the Miracles
View attachment 182644
View attachment 182649
View attachment 182650

This is a school where all the brightest students in all of Italy go. Everything is covered by a scholarship, and they are taught and mentored by the highest scholars and Nobel prize winners etc
View attachment 182642
I absolutely loved loved loved Italy.
I liked Pisa too, funnily, i liked it but didnt love it like some other places in Italy. Unsure why, it was very good though must didnt fall in love which was different for me in Italy.
Florence, Rome, Venice, just were beyond amazing, the Vatican was for me magical, the history etc. anywy, im going on. Enjoy Italy its wonderful.
Ps they have real mountains there.
I live mountains and always am amused by our smaller mountains but Europe they are massive.

I absolutely loved loved loved Italy.
I liked Pisa too, funnily, i liked it but didnt love it like some other places in Italy. Unsure why, it was very good though must didnt fall in love which was different for me in Italy.
Florence, Rome, Venice, just were beyond amazing, the Vatican was for me magical, the history etc. anywy, im going on. Enjoy Italy its wonderful.
Ps they have real mountains there.
I live mountains and always am amused by our smaller mountains but Europe they are massive.
Why does the leaning tower lean? Is it a design fault or an intentional flaw?

A bit of both.

It was originally a design fault with the foundations, and over time the tower went from being upright to leaning more and more to one side. Modern engineers have halted the lean, and even tilted it back a little IIRC. They have the capability of fixing it altogether if they wanted to ...

... but that would take away the charm (and probably the tourist dollars to Pisa)

Last edited:
A bit of both.

It was originally a design fault with the foundations, and over time the tower went from bein upright to leaning more and more to one side. Modern engineers have halted the lean, and even tilted it back a little IIRC. They have the capability of fixing it altogether if they wanted to ...

... but that would take away the charm (and probably the tourist dollars to Pisa)
Rod Carter was the project manager when they built it

Rod Carter was the project manager when they built it
Lol.

They asked Tilt once what it was like seeing things on a tilt?
Rod carter: what do you mean, I was wondering what it was like for everyone else seeing things on an angle

It's to do with the soil on which it was built. They had completed half before they realised it was starting to lean, and tried to correct it. But it just continued to lean more and more.

Then a few years ago they brought I the engineers to try to correct it. They've done a pretty good job but they still predict that in another 50 years it may topple.

It's a great experience to climb it. You feel like you're on a ships deck in stormy seas, walking uphill.

By the way TheGreat
Who is your avatar pic?
Looks like jmac i think sort of, but its been a mystery to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great
Its a very nice clever avatar

Great
Its a very nice clever avatar
I wish I had taken your Randwick race 8 tip Ruling Dynasty. I weighed it up before the race, checked the form and the favourites, and didn't bet on it. Then I watched the race. Great win from number 10 and Beaten Up, the favourite, was ... well ... beaten up! As for the cup I bet each way on the lesser favoured Japanese horse, and lost. Next time!

I wish I had taken your Randwick race 8 tip Ruling Dynasty. I weighed it up before the race, checked the form and the favourites, and didn't bet on it. Then I watched the race. Great win from number 10 and Beaten Up, the favourite, was ... well ... beaten up! As for the cup I bet each way on the lesser favoured Japanese horse, and lost. Next time!
Would you believe when ruling dynasty won about 5 mins later i thought if anyone saw i posted him?

It was a great day all the same.
Im quite excited for the rest of the carnival and next season as well.

I have a feeling we will move up the ladder, a nice group coming through of which grundy will be a major part.

Last day in Lucca. Tomorrow I'm going to Orvietto. We've had so much rain here but I'm happy to say the sun is shining today. All the leaves are turning brilliant colours.
This weekend the worlds largest Comics festival takes place in Lucca. It started yesterday and continues until Sunday. The entire city shuts down for the event and almost every square meter of space is occupied. More than 50000 people come each day, mostly young people, and they come from all over the world.
Many shops suddenly become 'comics' shops and others turn into sandwich shops.
And everyone dresses as their favourite character. It's an incredible site.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446218118.263501.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446218151.363563.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446218176.122261.jpg

Last day in Lucca. Tomorrow I'm going to Orvietto. We've had so much rain here but I'm happy to say the sun is shining today. All the leaves are turning brilliant colours.
This weekend the worlds largest Comics festival takes place in Lucca. It started yesterday and continues until Sunday. The entire city shuts down for the event and almost every square meter of space is occupied. More than 50000 people come each day, mostly young people, and they come from all over the world.
Many shops suddenly become 'comics' shops and others turn into sandwich shops.
And everyone dresses as their favourite character. It's an incredible site.
View attachment 189679
View attachment 189680
View attachment 189681
I think I see one of our prominent VFL posters in the background of the first pic.

Now in Orvietto. A beautiful Etruscan town on top of a hill in the middle of Umbria.

Halloween
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446411092.024764.jpg

Surrounded by olive groves and grape wines
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446411148.008322.jpg

The front of the Duoma at night(under restoration)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446411245.055279.jpg

Roasting chestnuts in the street
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446411320.907904.jpg

spent a bit of time in broome over the last week

12189012_10154288631929018_435282438329206004_n.jpg

12189778_10154288631994018_1253589431154285102_n.jpg

12191008_10154284640794018_1185099488741481482_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back