Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

11367177114_8fac3b1a3b.jpg

I've always been a city kid furthest out I've lived is Northcote. Here's one I took from Eureka

image.jpg

Monument Valley, AZ

This is Navajoe Indian country. These things are called "Butte". There's a 17 mile dirt track through the valley and amongst many of these. It's stunning at sunset!

Last edited:

Ah.....hello? :p

So 76woodenspooners asked me to drop a postcard here......

I guess my story then :D

I am from Melbourne. Went to school in Lalor, grew up in Mill Park, which is out Epping way on the north side of town. I went to college at Monash University, and completed a Bachelor of Biomedical Science.

The important part regarding the footy is, my grandfather brought me into the Collingwood family, and had my in a spicer's jumper my mom wore, from about two years old. My Uncle is a big fan, sucks the VBs of a weekend, and is terrible with emotional outbursts like me :rolleyes:

Mom and I went to games in Oz, the last being round 13 2009 against the Dockers. Always watched games with her and she was a really emotional person as well. Loved Daisy before he left for the Baggers, but loves Heppell now because he is a dead ringer for Daisy! o_O

Mom loved Pebbles in his hay day too, and always wanted to shag the bloke (hope I can say that on here).

I worked for Spotless at the MCG since the Saints Qualifying Final of 2009, and never missed a Collingwood game, whether I was working there or not. I was there for the 2010 draw and replay, and lived the emotional highs and lows. I did a victory lap when Clokey kicked one late on against the Saints in the draw, and I was crowd surfing when we won the replay, and Steele boots kicked the sealer with two minutes to go. I also saw the 2011 loss, and have been shattered since.

I moved here for love, to San Antonio TX, and I only decided to stay when I saw my now wife needed me more than Australia did. My wife is right into anything English or Australian, and loves to ask about the footy simply because on the broadcasts, whether radio or television replays, my wife can hear the Aussie accents.

I intend on going back to College here, perhaps to apply my mathematical capabilities to a Biomedical Engineering field. Until then, I have opportunities here to work in the Health and Science centre or a Biomedical research facilities, which are abundant in San Antonio.

I sat up the first week of the NAB for the Cats game, and ever since, and I was so wrapped with the boys in Sydney. I usually get the radio broadcast from triple MMM or SEN, and downloaded the channel seven replay from aussierul.es.

I love writing about footy, or any sport in general, and enjoy posting my thoughts on the games and the players. I have evolved from a pessimistic to a realist, who is circumspect and slightly optimistic about where the club is going. When I was a young bloke, I wanted to be a commentator like Rexy, Bristle and Cometti, but never took a path in the media. Would love an opportunity to write impartially about the AFL and all its constituents.

That is it from me, thanks 76woodenspooner, and everyone take care!

Regards,

Jim

I've spent a few weeks in San Antonio SwanDaneFan1991

It's a nice place :)

G'day MG,

Yeah bit of settling in at first, stress over the immigration process too. Got told I had Syphilis by the docs, and then another one confirmed it was false. So my wife has been to hell and back. Should have the residency done by June or July, and then can work and work on social security, driver's license, moving out of the in law's......:drunk:

As for the terrain, it was like coming to Mars really. A lot more hustle and bustle, more automobile driven (how was that for a pun) due to the oil in places like three rivers. The consumer driven industry, particularly big supermarket chains, the highways, big trucks, oodles of Mexicans, is certainly an eye opener.

I have taken to the San Antonio Spurs here, who wear the black and white, and have Patty Mills and Aron Baynes running around. Met a few fellas over here from Oz too, one from Bundoora, who went to Thomastown primary, and shares the same birthday as me!!

But yeah, fast food outlet on every street corner, like Manhattan I hear ;) also plenty more fast food chains, everything being bigger in serving size, quantity, and as a result body shape :rolleyes: no wonder there is a big emphasis on medical research in San Antonio......o_O

I have really only seen the north side of the city, as I do not drive yet, and much of the city including the south side, are dangerous at night. I have however, been over Hawaii, been through LAX, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte (North Carolina), Huntsville (Alabama), and Atlanta (Georgia). So been on the plane a lot. Big relief that I did not have to make the return flight from LAX to Sydney or Brisbane. Too long and cramped for me.

Hoping to hit the east coast or Canada eventually, and the wife would like to dash across the pond to the Old Dart as well. The past is history, but the future remains a mystery! :D

Jim

G'day MG,

Yeah bit of settling in at first, stress over the immigration process too. Got told I had Syphilis by the docs, and then another one confirmed it was false. So my wife has been to hell and back. Should have the residency done by June or July, and then can work and work on social security, driver's license, moving out of the in law's......:drunk:

As for the terrain, it was like coming to Mars really. A lot more hustle and bustle, more automobile driven (how was that for a pun) due to the oil in places like three rivers. The consumer driven industry, particularly big supermarket chains, the highways, big trucks, oodles of Mexicans, is certainly an eye opener.

I have taken to the San Antonio Spurs here, who wear the black and white, and have Patty Mills and Aron Baynes running around. Met a few fellas over here from Oz too, one from Bundoora, who went to Thomastown primary, and shares the same birthday as me!!

But yeah, fast food outlet on every street corner, like Manhattan I hear ;) also plenty more fast food chains, everything being bigger in serving size, quantity, and as a result body shape :rolleyes: no wonder there is a big emphasis on medical research in San Antonio......o_O

I have really only seen the north side of the city, as I do not drive yet, and much of the city including the south side, are dangerous at night. I have however, been over Hawaii, been through LAX, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte (North Carolina), Huntsville (Alabama), and Atlanta (Georgia). So been on the plane a lot. Big relief that I did not have to make the return flight from LAX to Sydney or Brisbane. Too long and cramped for me.

Hoping to hit the east coast or Canada eventually, and the wife would like to dash across the pond to the Old Dart as well. The past is history, but the future remains a mystery! :D

Jim
I drove from San Antonio to Austin one day (never knew if I was going north or south)
I think it was about the second time I had driven on the other side of the road.

Had to negotiate those massive flyovers as I was coming into Austin.
Fortunately I lived to tell the tale:)

I couldn't get over the sprawl of the shopping centres - it would take 10 mins to drive from one end to the other.

I did like the old centre though

Yeah have not been into Austin actually. Went to Houston with my missus to see a psychic, as we both have psychic abilities ourselves, but had to convince her mom we were the real McCoy. Austin, being the capital of course, seems to be the darling of Texas, as the wife, mother, and sister in laws all want to move there. I hear it is bloody expensive though!

The other side of the road is not all that bad, just a case of doing your reverse parallel parks from the reverse angle. Kind of like a Leon Davis special from the wrong side for a right footer :p

That said, obtaining a license and driving is much different here. 76woodenspooner will tell you about it. Every state has its own laws, but generally there is yielding more than giving way. If you have some stupid peanut who does not know the rules, better give way to him, because he is in a hurry to get to the next set of lights!! Additionally, there is the four way stop signs, but we all still yield to the right, or those already at the intersection ;)

To get the driver's license, you do it in a car park, rather than out on the road. I drove around Seymour for mine, because I was living in Wallan, so a car park seems a bit redundant to me!

The sprawl goodness me. Went to get my phone changed over, but it is just everywhere the shopping centres, malls, complexes, and huge. I think if the US had to go without consumer driven practices for one day, there would be complete anarchy from boredom. I am a bit sad there are no decent Asian cuisine places here, but I tell you, I do not mind a bit of Mexican now and again!!

Thanks for keeping me busy at twenty past one in the morning US CT, and keep the questions coming! Filling my boots with Rugby Union (wallabies) classics :D

Regards,

Jim

Oops forgot about the time difference:eek:

Funnily enough I went to Austin to see a psychic!!
Was a few years back now.

Since then I've driven all over Italy so those roads wouldn't bother me a bit now!:p

Yeah have not been into Austin actually. Went to Houston with my missus to see a psychic, as we both have psychic abilities ourselves ...

How are Collingwood going to do in 2014?

The other side of the road is not all that bad, ...

It took me about two days ... makes you appreciate how much of an asymmetrical activity driving is!

But yeah, it settles down. I cannot drive on autopilot anymore, even in Australia. I have to always consciously check myself.

just a case of doing your reverse parallel parks from the reverse angle.

Never had to do one of those yet! I'm in small town, so the driving is easy.

That said, obtaining a license and driving is much different here. 76woodenspooner will tell you about it.

Nah, I'm driving on my Australian driver's license.

Every state has its own laws,

They do. Here in Arizona riding a motor bike with a helmet is optional.

but generally there is yielding more than giving way.

What's the difference? I'd assumed they were the same thing :confused:

If you have some stupid peanut who does not know the rules, ...

Um, that'd be me :D

... better give way to him, because he is in a hurry to get to the next set of lights!!

Not where I am, nobody is in a hurry to get anywhere.

Additionally, there is the four way stop signs, ...

Yeah, those things do my head in!!

How are Collingwood going to do in 2014?

It took me about two days ... makes you appreciate how much of an asymmetrical activity driving is!

But yeah, it settles down. I cannot drive on autopilot anymore, even in Australia. I have to always consciously check myself.

Never had to do one of those yet! I'm in small town, so the driving is easy.

Nah, I'm driving on my Australian driver's license.

They do. Here in Arizona riding a motor bike with a helmet is optional.

What's the difference? I'd assumed they were the same thing :confused:

Um, that'd be me :D

Not where I am, nobody is in a hurry to get anywhere.

Yeah, those things do my head in!!

Do you use your blinkers when turning spoons? Buckle yourself up perhaps? Newton's first law is saving your bacon every time you collide with an oncoming asylum seeker ;-)

Alright on the psychic thing. It is more feelings about people, premonitions, I have vivid dreams of spirits visiting, intuitive feelings on how a scenario might pan out, and you should all be aware that we are followed by guides. Guides like what the native american indians worshiped, the ancestors and what not. My three greats grandfather is mine, and he saved me from a near death fever last october, just by healing me somehow.....this is becoming too spiritual for the uninitiated here I feel :p

But yeah, this grandfather of mine fought in the civil war, and was a southerner or a rebel soldier. With regard to sport, I have been told I have a lot of luck with those teams I support. I can use this to recognize that not all my teams will win, but if they do lose, not to worry too much, because there is always a reason. Take for instance this week, with the Storm being flogged in the NRL by Canterbury Bulldogs. The Victory also drew a crucial game with Sydney FC. So by about 2:30 am US CT, an hour before the Pies game, I was about 80% sure it meant Collingwood would win. There is reason in everything, and whether we like it or not, free will can influence the short term, but there is always reason behind the decisions we make to enforce our free will. Take Travis' shots at goal every week!

On our premiership hopes, that is not a question I would ask. There is the simple reason because it is a materialistic question, of which I learned the hard way. I am a spiritual person, and I say prayers to my guides (I have three or four, of which one is my deceased Nanna, her husband, and sister in addition to three ancestors), and the divine creator, but when I have asked for sports teams to win, I get taught a very good lesson. I prayed for us to beat the Dockers, and also to win the 2002 grand final, so I doubt I will be doing that again!

Without thinking though, we are a chance, but it is too early to tell. My intuition says we will beat Geelong this week, and we might beat Hawthorn without Buddy Franklin. I had a jumper of mine that was cursed by the person who gave it to me, and it has been cleansed. This means we will not be worrying too much about injuries this year, despite what you might see right now with Browny and Reidy!!

My intuition says that Bucks is the man for the job, and Pendlebury is the man for skipper. Pendlebury has changed the landscape of Collingwood skippers, as for the entire history, we have had blokes like Syd Coventry, Lou Richards, Frank Tuck, Tony Shaw, Scott Burns, and Nick Maxwell, all of whom are very rugged and hard nosed individuals. They rely more on toughness than silky skills, and are bang and crash, and have been doubted their abilities. Pendlebury is a superstar, has a Norm Smith Medal, and is a born leader. He has lifted the NAB Cup, and I can see him lifting the Premiership Cup.

If I look into my mind now, Fremantle will not make the grand final. I do not see their colors on grand final day, but I see Hawthorn's. I can just barely see Collingwood playing there, so we may have to get through Fremantle at Subiaco, which is more than possible seeing that the Dockers are peaking too early. If you ever need tipping advice, I am your man, because I usually go with my gut instinct and stick with it! I score sevens and eights, but admittedly round 1, the ESPN system did not take my tips, and said that I tipped Dockers by 70!! I got the GWS too, which I did not tip. Absolute nutters :p

Now Magpie Girl, I think you ought to see a psychic called Sean Harribance. He is from the Caribbean, and confirmed a lot about my life, and a lot of things I was unsure of. I would love to go to the Italian peninsula, as my wife has been to Europe and Canada, and made me uber jealous! I am a sucker for farinaceous foods :eek:

76woodenspooners where abouts in Arizona are you from, and what brought you here? I guarantee you are a far superior driver to all Mexicans. They fail to signal, they do not yield, the speed through red lights et cetera. Madness!

Tell me what you think of the above everyone :D

Jim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you live overseas you seem to notice anything Australian or related to Australia a lot more. Even the little things you appreciate. :rainbow::thumbsu:

Hi piedpiper32 ,

I am currently in Beijing for the weekend with my girlfriend and was wondering if there are any places to watch the Pies v Geelong game today?

Cheers :D

Hi piedpiper32 ,

I am currently in Beijing for the weekend with my girlfriend and was wondering if there are any places to watch the Pies v Geelong game today?

Cheers :D
Hey maace,

Good to have a fellow Pie fan in China on BF :thumbsu:

I used to go The Den which has Australia Network, but they don't show all the Collingwood games. I just checked though and today's game is on.

You might want to give them a call (010)6592-6290 and ask if they still have Australia Network though as I met another Aussie a week ago and he told me The Den might not have it anymore. I couldn't get over there yet in Rd 1 or 2 so I downloaded the games instead. The place is very close to the Sanlitun bar area and Worker's Stadium. You can get exact address details when you call them.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your stay in Beijing! :D

Hi guys,

I have been studying and working in Shanghai now for the past 5 years, I have enjoyed every moment of it despite at times missing Oz and the live fix of seeing an AFL game. I travel a lot in Asia and domestically throughout China because of my fortunate situation and have been Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, The Philippines and Hong Kong cheaply (damn flights from home can cost a lot).

I plan on coming home for the first time in 3 years next month, looking forward to it but will definitely miss how things are in China.. I remember being here for the '11 grand final, too many Geelong supporters in Shanghai (50 to 5) that's all I can say :drunk:

Hey maace,

Good to have a fellow Pie fan in China on BF :thumbsu:

I used to go The Den which has Australia Network, but they don't show all the Collingwood games. I just checked though and today's game is on.

You might want to give them a call (010)6592-6290 and ask if they still have Australia Network though as I met another Aussie a week ago and he told me The Den might not have it anymore. I couldn't get over there yet in Rd 1 or 2 so I downloaded the games instead. The place is very close to the Sanlitun bar area and Worker's Stadium. You can get exact address details when you call them.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your stay in Beijing! :D

Thanks a ton! looking forward to a great match today! really hoping pendles isn't injured :footy::rainbow:

I can sense it. There is not the same sense of uncertainty that surrounded the boys against Fremantle. I tipped the Hawks by 31 last night, and I guess I was on the right end of a bigger margin. The Dockers are a rabble now, and Walters I sense will be out for an extended period of time. Without him as a small forward, I feel the Dockers will lose all their structures, and there will be no offensive balance to Lyon's defensive tactics.

As for the Pies? I am feeling really strong, even beyond optimistic. The realism is enough to say we should do the job, and I will be a very happy Magpie waking up in San Antonio tomorrow morning. Pity the game is on so late, but I can almost see us winning by about 15 points. Might be close until half way through the last quarter, but with Swanny and Pendlebury running rampant, and for once Grundy winning in the ruck, we should get plenty of delivery down to Cloke, who will be freed up by the diversity of Jesse White. He might even snag a few himself, just to get greedy on Clokey's quest for glory ;)

Elliot always matches up well against Geelong, as does H. Lumumba Los Lobos. Fire up sports' fans, this one is going to the wire!!!

I can sense it. There is not the same sense of uncertainty that surrounded the boys against Fremantle. I tipped the Hawks by 31 last night, and I guess I was on the right end of a bigger margin. The Dockers are a rabble now, and Walters I sense will be out for an extended period of time. Without him as a small forward, I feel the Dockers will lose all their structures, and there will be no offensive balance to Lyon's defensive tactics.

As for the Pies? I am feeling really strong, even beyond optimistic. The realism is enough to say we should do the job, and I will be a very happy Magpie waking up in San Antonio tomorrow morning. Pity the game is on so late, but I can almost see us winning by about 15 points. Might be close until half way through the last quarter, but with Swanny and Pendlebury running rampant, and for once Grundy winning in the ruck, we should get plenty of delivery down to Cloke, who will be freed up by the diversity of Jesse White. He might even snag a few himself, just to get greedy on Clokey's quest for glory ;)

Elliot always matches up well against Geelong, as does H. Lumumba Los Lobos. Fire up sports' fans, this one is going to the wire!!!

Dwyer to kick 3 again, I'm confident we'll pull a close one off!

Buckle yourself up perhaps?

I **hate** my current hire car.

It's a Ford Focus. But it's not the "Ford" or the "Focus" bit I object to.

It's the "Powered by Microsoft" software inside it. Yes, I'm serious, they proudly proclaim "Powered by Microsoft" on the console like it's a good thing.

The entertainment menu system is abysmal.

It's got this feature - get this - where it won't let you listen to music unless you have your seatbelt on. Obnoxious, petulant **** of a car.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back