Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

So I'm living in the US at the moment. And not just anywhere in the US, but smalltown USA in the sunny state of Arizona.

I'm about a couple hours drive from where the Collingwood lads used to do their altitude training at Flagstaff.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few experiences.

It's curious the amount of Australian stuff I see around and about. Everybody I speak to has either been / wants to go / has a friend or relative who lives there, etc. it really is sweet and it makes you appreciate that Australia is a good brand and how fortunate we are for that. I don't have to try hard at all to meet people.

Yesterday I had the bittersweet experience of seeing a Pontiac G8 on the road (Otherwise known as the Holden Commodore). The bloke had a "Marines Veteran" sticker on the car (read "Proud to be American"). I wondered if he knew if his car was built in Australia, and if he did what he thought about that? It made me sad to think our motor industry is closing down.

I listen to a classic rock radio station in the car and I hear a lot of Australian music. It seems like every fourth song is an AC DC tune. I've heard Midnight Oil a bit. I've even heard Little River Band!

Australia is all over the TVs here at the moment with regard to the search for MH370. Tony Abbott got his picture on Fox News over it (kinda fits). I gotta say, the comment from our politicians that the MH370 wreckage could have sunk by now smacks of "Gee, this looks like it could be hard work, I don't know if we really could be arsed".

There's a telecoms company here who is spruiking their talents by claiming to be heavily involved in Australia's NBN (queue pictures of fibre optic cables, electronic racks and kangaroos)

Anyway, I don't feel too far from home here.

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
So I'm living in the US at the moment. And not just anywhere in the US, but smalltown USA in the sunny state of Arizona.

I'm about a couple hours drive from where the Collingwood lads used to do their altitude training at Flagstaff.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few experiences.

It's curious the amount of Australian stuff I see around and about. Everybody I speak to has either been / wants to go / has a friend or relative who lives there, etc. it really is sweet and it makes you appreciate that Australia is a good brand and how fortunate we are for that. I don't have to try hard at all to meet people.

Yesterday I had the bittersweet experience of seeing a Pontiac G8 on the road (Otherwise known as the Holden Commodore). The bloke had a "Marines Veteran" sticker on the car (read "Proud to be American"). I wondered if he knew if his car was built in Australia, and if he did what he thought about that? It made me sad to think our motor industry is closing down.

I listen to a classic rock radio station in the car and I hear a lot of Australian music. It seems like every fourth song is an AC DC tune. I've heard Midnight Oil a bit. I've even heard Little River Band!

Australia is all over the TVs here at the moment with regard to the search for MH370. Tony Abbott got his picture on Fox News over it (kinda fits). I gotta say, the comment from our politicians that the MH370 wreckage could have sunk by now smacks of "Gee, this looks like it could be hard work, I don't know if we really could be arsed".

There's a telecoms company here who is spruiking their talents by claiming to be heavily involved in Australia's NBN (queue pictures of fibre optic cables, electronic racks and kangaroos)

Anyway, I don't feel too far from home here.
When you live overseas you seem to notice anything Australian or related to Australia a lot more. Even the little things you appreciate. :rainbow::thumbsu:

When you live overseas you seem to notice anything Australian or related to Australia a lot more. Even the little things you appreciate. :rainbow::thumbsu:

Indeed.

Do you see much in Beijing?

Last edited:
How about a postcard from China?

This is a great idea 76

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
Indeed.

Do you see much in Beijing?
Have been here for many years so have seen most that should be seen... and probably some that shouldn't :p
But as I also said in another thread we have have some really bad smog over the last few months so it's hard to see anything! :thumbsdown:

Often I do get people asking me if they had to choose either Beijing or Shanghai which would it be. For a holiday definitely Beijing just because it offers so much more culturally. To live here I think most ex-pats would settle more easily in Shanghai as it's a bit more cosmopolitan. I also think Beijing/Shanghai could be compared to Melbourne/Sydney a little. Melbourne/Beijing are definitely more laid-back and relaxed whereas Sydney/Shanghai seems to have a greater focus on the commercial & business side. I know which one I prefer :D

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
How about a postcard from China?

This is a great idea 76
Here's one from the Summer Palace in Beijing. After a bit of snow it's a rare "Blue Sky" day - the government actually has a target for the number of days that are considered "clear" and calls them "blue sky" days. As long as you get even one sliver of blueish hue it will be marked down as a "Blue Sky" day :drunk:
IMG_0742.JPG

Last edited:
One of the joys of being abroad is discovering stuff that you think "Wow, this would be a hit back home!"

I've had two such experiences recently. The one I'm going to introduce you to now is the In-n-out burger joint.

One of my colleagues introduced me to it last week. I was a bit confused - he's a classy bloke, he's got access to a generous expense account, what's he doing taking me to a burger joint? Well the moment I entered the store I was hooked. These guys have nailed it.

But first, let's take a step back and recap a great moment in burger history ...

(Credit: Falling Down. Great movie!)

... we've all been there before. Well, maybe not to that extent. Unless you're stopping by to pick up a burger after a bad Collingwood loss. Maybe your reaction is not that extreme. Or maybe it is.

Anyway, you take my point - the burger joint has become a purely functional experience. The objective is to insert food into the stomach cavity, bypassing the taste buds, with minimum fuss. And there is all kinds if marketing bling choice hoopla to try to distract you from the guilt of neglecting your body.

It reminds me of another great moment in burger history. This one took place at the Clayton Road McDonalds circa 1993. One of my Uni buddies ordered a McFeast. The server mentioned "sorry sir, there'll be a five minute wait on your McFeast, is that OK?" to which my buddy responded dryly - "If I was prepared to wait five minutes do you think I'd be eating here?"

Bingo!

In-n-out burger have gone back to basics.

There are four food items on the menu.

One of the items is something called a "Hamburger". It has a nice bun. It has a tasty burger patty. It has strips of crisp lettuce. It has a slice of fresh tomato. It optionally has fresh onion. And when one of these babies is delivered to you it - get this - it looks just like the picture!

The second item is a thing called a "cheeseburger". See item 1 but add cheese.

The third item gets a bit exotic - stay with me here - it's called a "double double". See "Cheeseburger", but with an extra beef patty and an extra slice of cheese.

And item 4 closes out the menu with these things called "French Fries".

*** That's it ***

No chicken stuff or fish stuff or apple pie or sundaes or muffins or breakfast stuff or plastic kids toy rubbish or flame grilled angus fancy mucky toop toop blue cheese nonsense.

In-n-out burger just keeps it simple with the four items. And further, they use fresh ingredients - it tastes different! They pay their staff more than the other burger joints to make sure they get the best staff. The staff are friendly and they do this thing called "smiling".

These In-n-out burger joints have nailed it!

Last edited:
Here's a postcard from Melbourne.
Just walked around Albert Park Lake - one of my favourite places.

Image.jpg

not the best photo, but there is a gum tree, and a black swan (if you zoom in)

and which one is you 76?:)

It's funny, this "Thunder from down under" troupe (never heard of 'em before) are touring here to Arizona (the link I posted is legit). It's a heavily publicised occasion.

It's making me feel a little ... hmmm ... Bemused? Self conscious? :p

Here's a postcard from Melbourne.
Just walked around Albert Park Lake - one of my favourite places.

View attachment 48056

not the best photo, but there is a gum tree, and a black swan (if you zoom in)

Hahahaha!

If you're trying to make me feel homesick you need to try harder than that! :p

Sorry MG,

I love Melbourne, it will always be my home.

When I am away my heart yearns for it, and when I am there my heart melts for it.

When people here ask me where I come from in Australia I always answer without fail "I'm from Melbourne, but I live in Sydney"

I used to live across the road from Albert Park, I could see pit lane from my bedroom window.

So your photo is a very familiar one. Good to see at least one black swan has returned after their removal for the GP. The cygnets are cute when they're around

I just cracked up when I saw the grey skies! My memories are so much more romantic :p

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do you do in Beijing piedpiper32 and do you come back to Aus very often?

(I know, more personal questions:))
I do some business as an importer-exporter. But I want to quit the exporting and focus just on the importing though :p

I usually get back to Aus at least a couple of times a year, but it never seems to coincide with footy season :(

Back