Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I also spent a week in San Antonio for conference. They put on a big breast cancer symposium each year.

Unusual place. The divide between the haves and have nots is sooo stark.

We saw a Spurs v Hawks game. The Americans DO entertainment. Not like here at half time when you're just waiting for the third.

Do you ever go out to the San Marco shopping place? That was amazing for good buys!

Yeah no kidding!! Well I have not got much access to a vehicle here, as I am not allowed to drive ;)

That said, I think I have been to San Marco? Might be somewhere else I have been :p

If you have seen some of the massive shopping centres here, fast food chains, the medical facilities et cetera, it sure was an eye opener

Australia has the big three in McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, KFC, but then the Yanks have those, the Pizza chains, the seafood chains, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Jacks, Sonic.....phew man. Never touch those Peanut Butter Sonic shakes either. They have 85% of your recommended daily intake, and will choke you with the fat and sugar content o_O

The Spurs have a game in San Antonio to win the first round of the play offs against Dallas tomorrow afternoon US CT, so about half past five in the morning AEST

You can definitely find some buys looking at some of the smaller supermarket chains here, like Big Lots, and a place near me called International Market.

If you ever get back here, be sure to check out the Alamo and the river walk there, because it was serene, and the "mall" there (I sound so American) was actually quite satisfying. Being the middle of winter though, it was damn cold by Texan standards, so I was feeling for my way home ;)

Glad to host any Aussies in town, or American Pies fans :) carn the Spurs tomorrow afternoon, for a shot at the Trailblazers, and then a shot at those b******s Oaklahoma!!

September Action

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah no kidding!! Well I have not got much access to a vehicle here, as I am not allowed to drive ;)

That said, I think I have been to San Marco? Might be somewhere else I have been :p

If you have seen some of the massive shopping centres here, fast food chains, the medical facilities et cetera, it sure was an eye opener

Australia has the big three in McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, KFC, but then the Yanks have those, the Pizza chains, the seafood chains, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Jacks, Sonic.....phew man. Never touch those Peanut Butter Sonic shakes either. They have 85% of your recommended daily intake, and will choke you with the fat and sugar content o_O

The Spurs have a game in San Antonio to win the first round of the play offs against Dallas tomorrow afternoon US CT, so about half past five in the morning AEST

You can definitely find some buys looking at some of the smaller supermarket chains here, like Big Lots, and a place near me called International Market.

If you ever get back here, be sure to check out the Alamo and the river walk there, because it was serene, and the "mall" there (I sound so American) was actually quite satisfying. Being the middle of winter though, it was damn cold by Texan standards, so I was feeling for my way home ;)

Glad to host any Aussies in town, or American Pies fans :) carn the Spurs tomorrow afternoon, for a shot at the Trailblazers, and then a shot at those b******s Oaklahoma!!
We went to that river walk area quite a bit.

San Marco mall is a massive discount outlet place about 45mons out of SA. Amazing prices.

Arrived in Rome yesterday
This is the view from my hotel window. The piazza fills with people late afternoon, while chatting, eating and drinking

va4aqyra.jpg

Beautiful warm morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400663194.392423.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400663194.392423.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
How do you guys post pictures? I have some I can share but I always stuff it up.

To the right of the "post reply" button at the bottom of your screen should be a button labelled "Upload a file" and the rest is self explanatory.

That only works for images up to 1MB so if you have a semi-decent camera you'll struggle. In that case you'll have to upload the photos somewhere else and then use the IMG tags.

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
My files are larger than 1mb. Which upload site do people use?
An option is to reduce the photos to less than 1Mb.
I use a free software called PhotoFiltre - you can open a file and then re-save it using a lower compression ratio, or firstly resize the image or reduce the resolution. Of course the quality will be affected, but it may still show ok in the post.

You then upload as per 76woodenspooners instructions.

I am sure there are plenty of other programs which may be better as I'm no expert, but I find PhotoFiltre pretty easy to use.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
In my work I am pretty fortunate to see some cool parts of our country. I was recently lucky enough to visit the Torres Strait. It is a breathtakingly beautiful part of the world. It is also a really diverse place. The week I was up there TI was hosting a big touch tournament and had representatives from 13 other islands all fly in for the tournament. Big groups of rugby lads and their families were wandering around in their colours and there was a real liveliness and festive feel to the place. Here are some photos I took while I was there:

10258162_822684964428368_8246501339907766690_n.jpg

10322689_822684497761748_4989915329460841885_n.jpg

10250226_822684851095046_7065756629110593720_n.jpg

This last photo is looking back past Horn (Narupai) Island and through that strait you can see the very top of Cape York and the Northern most point of the Australian main land.

I'm actually heading off to South America in a week to catch the World Cup and see some of the continent so hopefully I will have some more pictures when I get back.

Can't believe I've been away for more than 3 weeks already.
I'm in Bologna now and settling into language school for a couple of weeks. I'm staying with a woman in her home and we only speak Italian (it's a little daunting at times but the best way to improve)

I've spent a few days in Florence and Lucca catching up with friends, eating and drinking very well. It's very hot here. Been around 30 deg every day.

Bologna is a bustling small city. It has the oldest university in the world, built in 1088, and is full of students. There is a very high (97m and 497 steps) tower that I climbed that gives an awesome view of the city - a tiny bit challenging :)

On Sunday I went to Ravenna to see the Byzantine mosaics from 6th century. These were absolutely breathtaking.
Hope you're all well and happy and enjoying the Pies winning. Haven't quite worked out how to watch a game yet despite ottoman trying to help me
MG

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402411908.208526.jpg

The towers built around 1100 AD (I climbed the straight one)
Long way down

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402411969.544361.jpg

The Basilica in Ravenna

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402412015.815782.jpg

The dome in another small baptistery

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402412057.017172.jpg

These mosaics are made using gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't believe I've been away for more than 3 weeks already.
I'm in Bologna now and settling into language school for a couple of weeks. I'm staying with a woman in her home and we only speak Italian (it's a little daunting at times but the best way to improve)

I've spent a few days in Florence and Lucca catching up with friends, eating and drinking very well. It's very hot here. Been around 30 deg every day.

Bologna is a bustling small city. It has the oldest university in the world, built in 1088, and is full of students. There is a very high (97m and 497 steps) tower that I climbed that gives an awesome view of the city - a tiny bit challenging :)

On Sunday I went to Ravenna to see the Byzantine mosaics from 6th century. These were absolutely breathtaking.
Hope you're all well and happy and enjoying the Pies winning. Haven't quite worked out how to watch a game yet despite ottoman trying to help me
MG
3 weeks. It does seem like yesterday you were saying 'I am off to Italy' Nice photos. Couldn't work out the link I see. I will send you another one. Much easier to use but sometimes you have to reload the page a few times as there can be connection difficulties. But once your connected its fine. How long do you plan to stay in Italy

3 weeks. It does seem like yesterday you were saying 'I am off to Italy' Nice photos. Couldn't work out the link I see. I will send you another one. Much easier to use but sometimes you have to reload the page a few times as there can be connection difficulties. But once your connected its fine. How long do you plan to stay in Italy
I'm over here for 5 months:)

What's it like there at the moment? Really crowded?

Will you be traveling elsewhere in SA?

And have you seen Quicky? :):D
It's pretty super crowded but for all I know that could be normal.

I've been through chile which was really great! Unfortunately have to head back home after the World Cup for my studies so not seeing anything else this time but definitely coming back.

Quicky is here?!? Come to the fanzone on copacabana tomorrow, that's where il be!

I am so jealous of you ppoiter and Magpie Girl I hope I get to travel soon :cry:

10459088_10152885749269622_1903356218473932487_o.jpg

Here some more from Melbourne :cry:
If you possibly can, do it. Such a great time. And hey you can count yourself pretty lucky to call Melbourne home

Back