Postive And Negatives in GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Was at the game and noticed NicNat wasn't really jumping at ruck contests I presume he was carrying an injury???
Pretty sure they beat us at hitouts last update I got at the game
No. Nicnat had more hit outs than hawks combined. We also won the clearances. The only problem was because of the pressure we went back to blindly bombing it forward. We had no one running off the back of the square getting hand balls. Nic didn't impact around the ball though for some reason, seemed tanked.

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives: not still watching the game.

Negatives: in regards to "the bounce of the ball not going our way" I thought structurally about 80% of the time they were in the right positions Hawthorn. Just always in the right spots and always helping each other out. Bah.

There backline.....
Gibson 29 touches
Burgoyne 26 touches
Duryea 26 touches
Birchall 22 touches
Frawley 22 touches
Lake 17 touches

+ bucket loads of marks

Then you've got Schoenmakers and Hodge having crackers not sure how often they were back can't remember but just a domination.
The bounce of the ball definitely went against us. We were running free quite a few times and then it bounced sideways or over our head. Didn't lose us the game but it was obvious it wasn't our day. Nic nat got touched on the line on a goal that could have really lifted us

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
No. Nicnat had more hit outs than hawks combined. We also won the clearances. The only problem was because of the pressure we went back to blindly bombing it forward. We had no one running off the back of the square getting hand balls. Nic didn't impact around the ball though for some reason, seemed tanked.
watching the game live it was not contested, it was keepings off with soft kicks to free players all day. asa team we didn't stop this but at times like early in the third showed we could score and even win. that there was hardly ever a contest gave nic little opportunity.

Matera LeNui

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The bounce of the ball definitely went against us. We were running free quite a few times and then it bounced sideways or over our head. Didn't lose us the game but it was obvious it wasn't our day. Nic nat got touched on the line on a goal that could have really lifted us
It did feel like the footy gods weren't smiling on us but yeah I thought they were in the right spots way more than us which is natural I suppose when we cant handle the pressure

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
NicNat is one of the few players in our ranks capable of imposing himself physically on a contest.

He simply had a timid shocker; poor in both intent and execution.

Only he - and possibly the club - will know why.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Negative - I still have the Hawthorn song stuck in my head

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
12140573_1029886197099299_8427680332968715033_n.jpg

Only just noticed this but in the pre-match photo Ellis was calming Dom's nerves. Good to see. :thumbsu:

Don't know if this is true or whether he was just balancing, but I'd like to believe it is the former. Didn't have many touches today but was one of the few composed players.

I think Ellis is even whiter than me which is an achievement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm going to add two sore loser observations just because I'm in a shitty mood; one relates to the VFL making the team who finished higher and won both finals to get to the GF having to play at the Hawks homeground (I dont care about the G, crowd capacity or anything like that from a purely football perspective it sucks that Melbourne based teams have such a massive advantage), two relates to umpires refusing to adjudicate against the tactics employed by Frawley on Kennedy. Frawley tested the boundary in the first marking contest when he pushed Kennedy under the flight of the ball, no whistle allowed him free reign for the rest of the game. It is basically cheating but good luck to Frawley for getting away with it. Calling the umpires bluff.

Other than that, I'm done with Masten he's not suited to finals footy. Sinclair kills our momentum in the ruck, if he's not taking contested marks around the ground he's a liability. Looking forward to McKenzie freeing up McGovern as a KFF. Kudo's for Gaff, Sheppard and Wellingham. Shuey was solid but for two dreadful utensil ups. Darling isn't the KPF I though he was - will be a better 3rd tall behind McGovern/Kennedy. Our midfield is still no good. Not really. Still a fantastic season, great revival and much to look forward to as we head into another season.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Great successful season as far as I am concerned.
Made the GF against all odds and opinions.

Lost to the best team in history (arguably) so no embarrassment.

All good from here with Simpson I reckon and we will have our fourth flag soon.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Masto not performing has more to do with his minutes in the last month and more. He was suspended then injured. He is the type of player who needs to play every week to get momentum goingand play well. The MC ahould have realised this given it isn't a new observation and had him as the sub w rosa to start. Intention would have been inject him at the start of the fourth or late 3rd w instruction to rack up the kms he does in 4 qters over 1 to exploit the conditions.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Masto not performing has more to do with his minutes in the last month and more. He was suspended then injured. He is the type of player who needs to play every week to get momentum goingand play well. The MC ahould have realised this given it isn't a new observation and had him as the sub w rosa to start. Intention would have been inject him at the start of the fourth or late 3rd w instruction to rack up the kms he does in 4 qters over 1 to exploit the conditions.
Yeah I can't believe Masten wasn't sub. Oh well, won't have to think about subs again

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
AFL Club
West Coast
I made the same observation at 3 qtr time.

JinmboJones

All Australian
Jun 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Birds of Prey
Negatives
Why didn't we come out with aggro at the start of the game and bully some of the Hawks players? I was genuinely surprised with all the talk about 'unsociable hawks' that they didn't try and rough up our players at the start. I would have thought Simpson would have given our guys some instructions about getting aggro and making a statement right from before the first bounce and we had the perfect opportunity to do so because the hawks didn't seem interested in doing so. I also would have told the players to target Mitchell and Hodge at every single opportunity - bumping, hard tackling, two on one pushing contests, etc, just annoy the crap out of them. We started the game like little puppy dogs and that's the way it continued. Just an embarrassing, soft performance all round.

erbenz

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Negatives
Why didn't we come out with aggro at the start of the game and bully some of the Hawks players? I was genuinely surprised with all the talk about 'unsociable hawks' that they didn't try and rough up our players at the start. I would have thought Simpson would have given our guys some instructions about getting aggro and making a statement right from before the first bounce and we had the perfect opportunity to do so because the hawks didn't seem interested in doing so. I also would have told the players to target Mitchell and Hodge at every single opportunity - bumping, hard tackling, two on one pushing contests, etc, just annoy the crap out of them. We started the game like little puppy dogs and that's the way it continued. Just an embarrassing, soft performance all round.

Weirdly despite our overall lack of physicality I mostly remember the moments where Gov and Wellers flattened blokes and won the ball from the game :(

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to them mate (Dockers), they're the pride of the west.. ;)

Thanks for keeping them out of the GF (although I think we might have beaten them) because I'd rather anyone else win it than the Dockers.

Don't get sucked in by hawks supporters. They were saying these things to us as well in 2013...give it a couple of months though and they'll start lecturing you about how superior they are.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Negatives

I don't think we should have come out looking to rough up a few of the Hawks. That's not our style and we shouldn't change it for the Grand Final, particularly against a team that's a lot better than us at it. I actually thought we were tough at it in the first 10 minutes or so, but after that we did turn to water.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back