Postive And Negatives in GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeo, NicNat, Darling, LeCras, Cripps, Kennedy, Hurn, Sheed...I've lost mental count but there were heaps more....all had massive stinkers.

How we only ended up 47 points adrift at the final siren is a complete and utter mystery.

Hawks started their post-season with about 10 minutes left.

Negatives: Useless woman and husband in the standing bay pushing their way two second row mid second quarter and yelling "there's no rules in the standing area" when questioned by the bloke in front of me

Positives: Me taking her spot when they went to grab some beers at half time and seeing her behind my 6'5" frame for the remainder of game

The bounce of the ball definitely went against us. We were running free quite a few times and then it bounced sideways or over our head. Didn't lose us the game but it was obvious it wasn't our day. Nic nat got touched on the line on a goal that could have really lifted us
'scuse the intrusion, but yes I did note this as well. I was immediately reminded of the 2012 GF when it seemed that the footy gods were against us on that day as well - so many unfavourable bounces.

Positives:
Sheppard..oustanding
Wellingham...almost oustanding...gotta go defensive sometimes Wellers
Shuey....****ed up heaps but tried bloody hard
Gaff...grit...topshelf workrate
Hutchings. ..tried

Negatives:
Hurn..talks like he wants to be the man but he isnt the man...and he wont be. He cannot win a game off his own boot. Full flogg.
Darling...5 cans short of a six pack...when the balls on the deck looks like a drunk crocodile tryin to hump a blue healer...nfi
Yeo...walked around all day like he was working a paris catwalk...spanka
Nic Nat... horrendous
Kennedy....more horrendous and not a leaders a..hole
Lecca.....soft as butter
Schofield...gripper
Priddas...not as good as he thought he was...shitfull actually
Ellis...**** on a bull
Butler...same **** same bull
McGovern...that handball in the 1st quarter was A grade commedy...pathetic....wellers mopped it up for ya...get fit fella
Rosa...shoulda played full game
Masto....different bull....but with ****
Hill.....muppet
Sinclair....i thought you drop the ball to mark the ball
Sheed....lost...and needs a hairpiece.

Coach....should of mixed it up more sooner...cos what he had wasnt working
Overall team effort....flacid!!

Same problem surfaced as it did back half of 13.....thats in our current group...its their makeup......they are mentally weak.
Suggestion: keep working hard...change captain...change nice guy culture to winner mentality!. Flick a few weaklings...to make the point...draft in a few velvet sledgehammers.

Hurn telling media that they werent overcome with the pressure of the big stage.....realy Hurny......thats plain bull***t. Hurn should of come out and said it how it was .
"Yes ...we were mentally weak and couldnt handle the pressure ".
Dont suger coat it. ..." yes...we were very very poor...but we will work hard to improve"

Agree to disagree I guess. We weren't as sharp as during the season but nor should we of expected to be. We played badly. To say Hawthorn were just too good on the day is the real cop out. They had a lot more possession than we did, which is their game, but when we had possession we scored freely.

Freely enough that kicking strait would of entirely changed the nature of the game. We had them beaten on run. We had almost as many scoring opportunities. We kicked ourselves out of the game for 3 quarters which made our greatest advantage- more run- irrelevant by Q4 where it would of mattered most. Hawks knew it, they had massive fatigue issues and rolled the dice to throw everything at us and score heavily early. It worked. Credit to them because their finishing was unbelievable. If we hadn't of kicked ourselves out of the game it wouldn't of been enough.

I really think it is just that simple. 25 scoring shots to 19. Take off 3 from Darlings unforced errors and its 22 v 20/21. How much possession and scoring shots did they generate from kick ins that should of been centre bounces? We kick 13 goals 6 instead of 8:11 and there's no way they kick 16:11 and it comes down to who can run it out. You could argue Hawthorn played a perfect game. But they are not the dominant side they were say 2 years ago. They are very beatable these days. If we had a less imperfect game ourselves it would of been very interesting. Credit to them, 100% confidence and self belief won out over our poor finishing and decision making.
No completely disagree, were completely outplayed. Most of our shots were rushed. I think a better stat to look at would be marks inside 50, though I don't know those stats, being at the game seem like Hawks decimated us there. Game was played on there terms, we couldn't hold the ball in at all where as they could. Don't want to check the stats personally, memory of the game is bad enough.

'scuse the intrusion, but yes I did note this as well. I was immediately reminded of the 2012 GF when it seemed that the footy gods were against us on that day as well - so many unfavourable bounces.

Well, in many respects you make your own bounce. There were some legitimate unfavourable bounces, but the early ones because we weren't attacking the ball, we were tiptoeing towards the ball not attacking it.

Coach....should of mixed it up more sooner...cos what he had wasnt working
Overall team effort....flacid!!

Same problem surfaced as it did back half of 13.....thats in our current group...its their makeup......they are mentally weak.
Suggestion: keep working hard...change captain...change nice guy culture to winner mentality!. Flick a few weaklings...to make the point...draft in a few velvet sledgehammers.
Maintain the rage LD. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise Gaff was lined up on Smith all day who had plenty of the ball and kicked 3 goals? IMO he was best on ground.
Smith was good, really good. I would say best on ground too. He was working hard back too as I saw him outrun LeCras a few times in the back line.

Smith is the most underrated player in the comp

From an outsiders perspective...

+ves
Simpson was at Hawthorn in 2012 - great experience for improving on a GF loss
Watch Harry Taylor fumble and look like the most inept player in the Comp in the 08 GF, then watch how he played in the 09 GF
Sheppard Gaff & McGovern were good I thought
GF experience will be invaluable

-ves
probably everything else

But can I highlight the worst grand final banner in years (05 & 06 were better). Both sides of it displayed a premiership cup = subliminal message "Job already done". And what on earth is "The West is Ours" doing on the banner? You might not think the banner is a big deal, but it makes me question what else isn't being properly prepared for grand final day... if you have a look at our 5 Grand Final banners in the last few years. 4 of them have messages about the sort of effort required on the day to win the game... 2012 has a Hawk with the premiership cup saying it was ours for the taking.

For 2016
Don't be Port Adelaide. The rest of the competition will come for you next year and you'll need to improve just to get back to the GF
The web will have its use, but teams will be studying it over summer
Welcome back some Long term injuries
If you do make it back to the GF you'll be in a much better position to win it

Best wishes for 2016, I'm sure we'll play you twice in H&A

From an outsiders perspective...

+ves
Simpson was at Hawthorn in 2012 - great experience for improving on a GF loss
Watch Harry Taylor fumble and look like the most inept player in the Comp in the 08 GF, then watch how he played in the 09 GF
Sheppard Gaff & McGovern were good I thought
GF experience will be invaluable

-ves
probably everything else

But can I highlight the worst grand final banner in years (05 & 06 were better). Both sides of it displayed a premiership cup = subliminal message "Job already done". And what on earth is "The West is Ours" doing on the banner? You might not think the banner is a big deal, but it makes me question what else isn't being properly prepared for grand final day... if you have a look at our 5 Grand Final banners in the last few years. 4 of them have messages about the sort of effort required on the day to win the game... 2012 has a Hawk with the premiership cup saying it was ours for the taking.

For 2016
Don't be Port Adelaide. The rest of the competition will come for you next year and you'll need to improve just to get back to the GF
The web will have its use, but teams will be studying it over summer
Welcome back some Long term injuries
If you do make it back to the GF you'll be in a much better position to win it

Best wishes for 2016, I'm sure we'll play you twice in H&A

I really think you are over rating just how important a banner is to how well a team performs...

I really think you are over rating just how important a banner is to how well a team performs...

I was very happy to see your banner when the cheer squad raised it

It's a little thing, but it's a highly visible thing on the day

Again it makes me question what else isn't being properly prepared for grand final day

I was very happy to see your banner when the cheer squad raised it

It's a little thing, but it's a highly visible thing on the day

Again it makes me question what else isn't being properly prepared for grand final day

True.

Someone was asleep at the wheel with the wearing sunnies at the GF Parade hoodoo too.

Onwards and upwards from here I hope!

Positive: The view from my seat on the day.

phAKTdQ.jpg

Negative: What I witnessed from my seat on the day.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back