Review Postmatch discussion vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

this post is just factually wrong in so many ways, Harper had a good 2013? Blight became a better player as he got older after the flags of the 70s:(
Blight became a more important player late 70's, nobody could doubt that. I still recall reading the sun in 1982 on the way to Maribyrnong, I was devestated

After watching Port I hope no one walking around Arden street is too happy with themselves.

There's no guarantee we'll just roll up for a grand final next year. We lacked composure and leadership from senior players last night and if we don't fix that we don't progress.

Port had every excuse- 3 finals games in a row in 3 different states and very nearly nailed it. I hope we're not offering ourselves excuses or imagining we're better than we are or we'll be doomed to repeat the post 2007 slide.

There was some fantastic ground made in 2014 but imo was still soured by leaders failing to show the way in the end.
Yep and theres no guarantee we even make the eight next year, we had a favourable draw in the 2014 season and finals and we beat Essendon and Geelong to make a prelim, its not like we beat Sydney and Port.. the teams Fremantle lost to. We are a few years off challenging a Sydney and Hawthorn and by then Petrie and Boomer are long gone.

And when Brad Scott or Drew Petrie or anyone else mentions we beat all the top teams in 2014 and we should be confident in the preliminary.. Please thats just insulting to our fans, our players, and to the opposition. We're nowhere near it and Brad needs to coach a hell of alot better, and we need to recruit some players to fix our deficiencies before this so-called premiership window closes shut when Petrie and Boomer are gone.

Yep and theres no guarantee we even make the eight next year, we had a favourable draw in the 2014 season and finals and we beat Essendon and Geelong to make a prelim, its not like we beat Sydney and Port.. the teams Fremantle lost to. We are a few years off challenging a Sydney and Hawthorn and by then Petrie and Boomer are long gone.

I don't think that's right. In 1995 we couldn't get near Carlton, and were belted in the preliminary final. Less than a year later, we beat them by ten goals on a Friday night, on the way to a premiership. Believe, and work hard enough, and things can turn very quickly. The summit is in sight...

I don't think that's right. In 1995 we couldn't get near Carlton, and were belted in the preliminary final. Less than a year later, we beat them by ten goals on a Friday night, on the way to a premiership. Believe, and work hard enough, and things can turn very quickly. The summit is in sight...
Get real your in fantasy land 96 was a team led by Wayne Carey, one the greatest players ever. Our current team is led by Drew Petrie and co and they're nearly retired. Oldest player Boomer is our best, Youngest player Turner is our hardest. Go figure.

Get real your in fantasy land 96 was a team led by Wayne Carey, one the greatest players ever. Our current team is led by Drew Petrie and co and they're nearly retired. Oldest player Boomer is our best, Youngest player Turner is our hardest. Go figure.

Seriously, take your sooki-la-la pessimism elsewhere. The rest of us are excited by our bright future.

Your not being realistic. Your pipedreams belong elsewhere. Time to lift the standard we're nowhere near it.

Come on, mate. We were clobbered by an incredible football team last night, but you are overreacting. Tell me, which of the 14 teams that finished below us would have done better? Which of them is nearer to challenging than us?

Our wins against the top sides this year were no accident. We belong, and we are not that far away, last night notwithstanding.

Exactly right. Swallow Is a lead by example player, not a guy who will pull up one of his guys or team ala selwoodor give a rev up if needed.

Take the hawks game earlier this year as an example. They hated losing to us and showed some mongrel, remember the dirty bump/tackle hodge layed on swallow. Jeez I hated it at the time, but id love to see abit of it in our team. There is fck all mongrel in our leaders which sets thethe theme in the team?
I'd like to know what you mean by mongrel? If it's the type of s**t that got Ziebell, Thompson and Harvey suspended, then I'd rather we played without it.

Come on, mate. We were clobbered by an incredible football team last night, but you are overreacting. Tell me, which of the 14 teams that finished below us would have done better? Which of them is nearer to challenging than us?

Our wins against the top sides this year were no accident. We belong, and we are not that far away, last night notwithstanding.
Yeah overreacting maybe, disappointed as all hell and i can't see us turning that clobbering around in a year mate, us much as i would like to, unless we bring in some serious talent, damn shame we didnt get Travis Boak couple years ago. Sydney and Hawthorn are the standard we need to reach so what does it matter whos below us, teams like Fremantle and Adelaide are though and with Boomer and Petrie going soon.. and our toughest player being 18yo, yeah enough said. Brad Scott was confident we could match them based on our wins were against not full strength sides in the regular season. Good wins and definitely a step closer but we're still a mile off. I didnt appreciate the spin-doctoring. Reminded me of Terry Wallace. Keepin it real.

I'd like to know what you mean by mongrel? If it's the type of s**t that got Ziebell, Thompson and Harvey suspended, then I'd rather we played without it.

I was thinking a mongrel like Merrett from Brisbane to fill full back, but I then remembered if he played for North instead of another AFL love chid in Brisbane he would be suspended for 15 weeks a season. could you imagine how many weeks he would have got for that hit on Pederson if he was at North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah overreacting maybe, disappointed as all hell and i can't see us turning that clobbering around in a year mate, us much as i would like to, unless we bring in some serious talent, damn shame we didnt get Travis Boak couple years ago. Sydney and Hawthorn are the standard we need to reach so what does it matter whos below us, teams like Fremantle and Adelaide are though and with Boomer and Petrie going soon.. and our toughest player being 18yo, yeah enough said. Brad Scott was confident we could match them based on our wins were against not full strength sides in the regular season. Good wins and definitely a step closer but we're still a mile off. I didnt appreciate the spin-doctoring. Reminded me of Terry Wallace. Keepin it real.

yeah overreacting definitely, about where our curve had us finishing this year, a little luck and who knows. I do agree we can not afford to slip but no reason to expect that to happen.

He already gave a good example, "remember the dirty bump/tackle hodge layed on swallow. Jeez I hated it at the time, but id love to see abit of it in our team". "There is fck all mongrel in our leaders which sets thethe theme in the team".

Our leaders are bit nice, and the team will naturally follow the leaders. Unlike in our premiership years being led by Carey and Schwass and Archer etc.. These days its Petrie, Swallow, and Thompson. We're trying to fix it with drafting Turner, Garner, Macdonald etc.
Sam Mitchell was a premiership captain replaced by Luke Hodge because of the same reason they wanted Hawthorn to play in Hodges mould, not mitchells.

yeah overreacting definitely, about where our curve had us finishing this year, a little luck and who knows. I do agree we can not afford to slip but no reason to expect that to happen.
I hope your right. I dont wanna be another Western Bulldogs who never got there cause they didnt quite have the talent, especially up forward.

I am not saying we wont slip we all know how hard this game is, but to just expect us to slip is mighty negative.
I like to keep things real mate i said theres no guarantee we make the 8. I expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be suprised ha.

I like to keep things real mate i said theres no guarantee we make the 8. I expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be suprised ha.

well that explains the negativity, you set unrealistic expectations, plan for when we logically fail to meet those expectations, and if by some miracle we meet the unrealistic expectations you are surprised.

to expect to win a flag is unrealistic, not even in the 90s did I do this I expected to make a prelim on the back of a great team every year and then see what happens from there. 7 prelims 3 grand finals and 2 flags:thumbsu:

well that explains the negativity, you set unrealistic expectations, plan for when we logically fail to meet those expectations, and if by some miracle we meet the unrealistic expectations you are surprised.

to expect to win a flag is unrealistic, not even in the 90s did I do this I expected to make a prelim on the back of a great team every year and then see what happens from there. 7 prelims 3 grand finals and 2 flags:thumbsu:
Haha you misinterpret. You should have a positive attitude(set no limitations), but still be prepared for disaster, and despite the best plans you might still get suprised. Think war tactics haha.

Personally, not really feeling some of the negativity here. Game was disappointing in isolation, but I'm absolutely fricken' stoked to have come away this season having beaten all of the top sides, snagging two Finals wins, and making it through to a Prelim with a team that still clearly requires a little more kink-ironing. Shirley this bodes well for a side on the up. There's no guarantees, and the relative improvement of other teams is always a factor in these equations, but this season certainly left me with the impression that we will only improve from here.

In summary....exciting times, etc.

Personally, not really feeling some of the negativity here. Game was disappointing in isolation, but I'm absolutely fricken' stoked to have come away this season having beaten all of the top sides, snagging two Finals wins, and making it through to a Prelim with a team that still clearly requires a little more kink-ironing. Shirley this bodes well for a side on the up. There's no guarantees, and the relative improvement of other teams is always a factor in these equations, but this season certainly left me with the impression that we will only improve from here.

In summary....exciting times, etc.

the fact this team is no longer solely reliable on the elder statesman is a very high positive to me, we hardly noticed Boomers absence during his suspension, that was not the case in 2013.

the fact this team is no longer solely reliable on the elder statesman is a very high positive to me, we hardly noticed Boomers absence during his suspension, that was not the case in 2013.

Agree on that. Younger guys have stood up at key times this season, and over the next few years will continue to do so on an even more regular basis.

so I can't explain away your negativity, it must just be you.

don't say I did not try.:(
You still misinterpret that old phrase, even after i spell it out in laymans terms for u. Ive told you in the past pooboy69, go be a meek w***er elsewhere with your wanky responses. And i fully expect to win a flag, just not this year or next. Thats called being realistic, son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back