Remove this Banner Ad

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thomas Longmire, Billy Longmire and Nicholas Blakey are all young teenagers who are currently involved in the Sydney Swans Academy. Obviously they are also the sons of ex North Melbourne players and current Swans coaches John Blakey and John Longmire and qualify to be picked as Father-sons.

If one or more of these players were to become decent draft prospects then there is the potential for a clash between the academy and father son preference systems. How will the AFL handle this if it eventuates? Will it be a case of player preference such as in the case of Travis Cloke? Could it have any repercussions for the how academy players are drafted?

Jordan Bourke was both a father/son option at Geelong and a Brisbane Academy option. He is at Brisbane, but not sure if it was because of his preference, or because only the one team wanted him. Ultimately though, the player would choose if their was a choice.

In many ways it strikes at the heart of the Academy dilemma. North fans might rage if one of them ended up a star for the Swans, but at the same time you know that without being in the academy, Sydney's leagues and coaching is at a standard that they'd probably never develop into AFL level players.

It is up to the player, similarly if a Father Son is eligible for TWO clubs. For example Joe Daniher chose between Sydney and Essendon, and chose the latter, almost certain he was available for both.

Travis Cloke and his less talented brothers were eligible for both Collingwood and Richmond but all three of them chose us.

Jordan Bourke was both a father/son option at Geelong and a Brisbane Academy option. He is at Brisbane, but not sure if it was because of his preference, or because only the one team wanted him. Ultimately though, the player would choose if their was a choice.
Brisbane rookied Bourke, Geelong didn't want him. Progressing well though by all reports working his craft in defense.

In answer to the OP, the draftee gets to choose which club he goes to, much like in previous years if there were multiple father-son club options.

I dont see why the player preference should come into it. They can either be elect to be eligible for F/S and academy or go to the draft like any one else. Let the teams bid on them like they already do for Academy/FS selections. Then when ever bids highest (or with the next highest bid after another team thing) should get them.

For those that are against Academies and F/S isn't this a case that would provide more equality to the system?

In my opinion, F/S should always get preference. It's been a rule for over 50 years, and whilst it has been altered to manage for the draft and other circumstances....its one of the great aspects of our game.

The order should be:
- F/S club gets first dip at bidding. If they dont want to use any of their picks, then:
- academy selections come into play. If they still arent selected then:
- normal draft.

If the player doesnt want to nominate for FS - e.g. Sheldon or Murphy, then they go through the normal process.

Swans risk. Father-son takes precedence and players should have the right to choose. The Academy supposed to be for developing new players into the system and stealing talent from other sports, not plucking kids of players hwo have already got a family history in AFL footy. The kids shoudl be able to select their dads club, or their Acedemy club, or (unlikely) neither to take their chances in the darft

Swans risk. Father-son takes precedence and players should have the right to choose. The Academy supposed to be for developing new players into the system and stealing talent from other sports, not plucking kids of players hwo have already got a family history in AFL footy.

Well in the case of Longmire he was already a New South Welshman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the player doesnt want to nominate for FS - e.g. Sheldon or Murphy, then they go through the normal process.

Sheldon didn't object to F/S, he just wanted to enter the draft that year but Carlton didn't want to F/S him that year - they offered to F/S him the following year (can't remember why). As a result it was Carlton's decision, not Sheldon knocking them back. All academic either way now, and in retrospect Carlton made the right decision.

Well in the case of Longmire he was already a New South Welshman.

Hardly pinched from another sport though (which is what the Academy is really designed for), his old man was from Albury, one of NSW's few AFL heartlands.

He has the right to choose imo. He may well choose the Swans, but shoudl have a perfect right to select North. Hence my comments, its the Swans risk to put these kids in their academy. Risk worth taking? Probably.

In my opinion, F/S should always get preference. It's been a rule for over 50 years, and whilst it has been altered to manage for the draft and other circumstances....its one of the great aspects of our game.

The order should be:
- F/S club gets first dip at bidding. If they dont want to use any of their picks, then:
- academy selections come into play. If they still arent selected then:
- normal draft.

Even in the currenbt father-son arrangemnt the player has the choice. You cant draft a kid via father-son without mutual consent. Marc Murphy says hi. Declined the offer to be f-s'd with Brisbane (aka Fitzroy) and went into draft instead where Carlton picked him at 1.

Last edited:
Hardly pinched from another sport though (which is what the Academy is really designed for), his old man was from Albury, one of NSW's few AFL heartlands.

He has the right to choose imo. He may well choose the Swans, but shoudl have a perfect right to select North. Hence my comments, its the Swans risk to put these kids in their academy. Risk worth taking? Probably.

I think they will be apart of the academy either way. Then when they are approaching draft age then they will decide who they want to play for.

GFC had a chance to FS list him believe and chose not to. He went / stayed up north and they listed him.

Im not sure of his preference.

GO Catters

Even in the currenbt father-son arrangemnt the player has the choice. You cant draft a kid via father-son without mutual consent. Marc Murphy says hi. Declined the offer to be f-s'd with Brisbane (aka Fitzroy) and went into draft instead where Carlton picked him at 1.
You could read my whole post?

Sheldon didn't object to F/S, he just wanted to enter the draft that year but Carlton didn't want to F/S him that year - they offered to F/S him the following year (can't remember why). As a result it was Carlton's decision, not Sheldon knocking them back. All academic either way now, and in retrospect Carlton made the right decision.
I'm aware of the circumstances of how it played out.....and I guess you are right in that we didnt nominate him, and therefore he just entered the draft (rather than declining a nomination) which was the circumstance I had framed.

Yes you contradicted yourself. In one post you said that father-son takes preference and in the other you said that its the players choice. I repsonded to your post that was incorrect.

Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you were trying to say.
I said that if the player doesnt choose FS, then they go through the normal process (the draft) - e.g. if they are eligible for both, the FS should take precedence.

But if they dont get nominated by a club for FS, then they can go via the academy program.

I said that if the player doesnt choose FS, then they go through the normal process (the draft) - e.g. if they are eligible for both, the FS should take precedence.

But if they dont get nominated by a club for FS, then they can go via the academy program.

Ah gotcha. I disagree though (now that I get your point).

If an academy player is father-son eligible then he should be subject to the father-son bidding process Clubs shouldnt be allowed to use the academy loophole to snag father-son players on the cheap.

Ah gotcha. I disagree though (now that I get your point).

If an academy player is father-son eligible then he should be subject to the father-son bidding process Clubs shouldnt be allowed to use the academy loophole to snag father-son players on the cheap.

The academy bidding system is identical to father/son bidding.

slashin_velvet is talking about the case where father/son and academies are different, e.g. Longmire's kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back