Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a complete nothing article, tells nothing we don't already know.

I will make a couple of points though. Anyone who knows the Bourke family, or is friends with friends of the Bourke family, know his dad and all of his relatives desperately want him to play for Geelong. That's a certainty. Jordan is open to it, but no doubt it's a big decision for him, as it would be for any kid to move down (even though he has relatives here).

Don't know about that. Was having a chat to his old man late last year and asked him about Jordan. He was absolutely fine with him playing wherever he felt like. i think the quote was something along the lines of 'he'll be fine, as long as he ends up in a good supportive system....'

I'm not a mate of the family, just met him in a bar.

Reading today Adi , looks like another Scarlett might be looking to be picked up in 2 or 3 years. Young Jack Scarlett will play for the u15 Falcons & have been told he is pretty hard at it. About the same sort of height or slightly taller taller (than Matty) at the same age apparently

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/27/316041_gfc.html

A point only raised in the 'comments' section of that bit about Jack Scarlett - is he merely (for want of a better word) John's step-son and Matthew's step-brother? If he isn't John's biological son then he isn't eligible under the F/S rule as far as I know, but if he was John's son and Matthew's half-brother then he would be.

A point only raised in the 'comments' section of that bit about Jack Scarlett - is he merely (for want of a better word) John's step-son and Matthew's step-brother? If he isn't John's biological son then he isn't eligible under the F/S rule as far as I know, but if he was John's son and Matthew's half-brother then he would be.

I remember reading a story a year or two ago about Matthew and John and I'm sure it said Charlie was John's son from his second marriage.

Seems to be some confusion, even within the family, if he is a half brother or a step brother. There is no doubt the Scarletts are unique characters.

If his last name is Scarlett wouldn't that make him John's son and Matthew's half brother(not step) thus being eligible to be drafted under the father-son rule.
That is of course if he didn't change his last name when his mum re-married.:confused:

But if he's John's son he'd be Matthew's half-brother, not his step-brother.

Unfortunately I think if he's Matthew's step-brother that means John adopted him when he married his mum. Unless the Addy is wrong.

He refers to himself as Matthews step-brother.He looks a bit like Matthew.
Can't you be a half-brother and step-brother ? [please,no Tassie jokes]
Both can have the same father,which makes them half-brothers and of course their parents are in different marriages,which can also make them step-brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I've always wanted to play footy, just looking up to my step-brother and my dad, it's something I've always wanted to do."

hopefully that about covres it

Sounds like Bourke likes the weather up north. Long way to go before the choice has to be made lets hope the chance to play for us is enough to overcome our winter conditions.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/options-can-wait-for-bourke-20120405-1wflf.html

Agree that it's up in the air, but if we remain truly competitive in 2012 (and the Suns go nowhere this year) that should work in our favour.

Truly sounds like he is just enjoying the opportunity to find out about what's involved in playing senior footy at the moment. I'm still hopeful that we'll look like a pretty attractive option when the time comes.

And he says he has been following the Cats for quite a few years.:thumbsu:

And while his Dad is not the only influence in his life, I know Damian would be delighted to see Jordan settle on a career in the hoops.

All in all, I still figure he's better than a 50/50 proposition to join the father-son 'cheat-a-thon' down at the Cattery.:cool:

Would have been nice if Quayle could have clarified exactly where he will be playing this year, after he returns from the AIS-AFL tour (of course, this may not be known). I was under the impression that he was coming down and playing for the Falcons, at least for a while. If he does that, we've got a VFL apprenticeship to dangle in front of him, like Jed Bews had last year. But if he chooses to remain in Queensland for the full year, you'd have to think our chances of nabbing him are slim.

i actually like the sound of what he said in that article. his time with us seemed to leave more of an impression on him than his time with the cold toast

Would have been nice if Quayle could have clarified exactly where he will be playing this year, after he returns from the AIS-AFL tour (of course, this may not be known). I was under the impression that he was coming down and playing for the Falcons, at least for a while. If he does that, we've got a VFL apprenticeship to dangle in front of him, like Jed Bews had last year. But if he chooses to remain in Queensland for the full year, you'd have to think our chances of nabbing him are slim.
Pretty sure he's staying in Queensland this season, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Could still do that VFL apprenticeship, and to be blunt he still needs to perform on the big stage in the Champs. Most refreshing part of that article was Bourke's attitude: so far his claim to fame is that he's beaten up on some Div 2 U16 sides as a 17yr old. Needs to have a strong year and show he can compete with the big boys to get drafted, let alone decide between us and the Suns.

The AIS squad played Box Hill seniors in curtain raiser to Carlton Richmond, this is all that is listed for results, doesn't tell us much:

Box Hill Hawks 3.2, 6.3, 9.9, 14.14 (98) defeated
AIS-AFL Academy 5.3, 7.6, 9.7, 10.7 (67)
Goals: Box Hill: Hill 4, Cass 2, Schneider 2, Monkhorst, Shiels, Clifford, Frank, Cust, Post
AIS-AFL Academy: Daniher 4, Bourke 2, Stewart, Menzel, Toumpas, Viney

Pretty sure he's staying in Queensland this season, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Could still do that VFL apprenticeship, and to be blunt he still needs to perform on the big stage in the Champs. Most refreshing part of that article was Bourke's attitude: so far his claim to fame is that he's beaten up on some Div 2 U16 sides as a 17yr old. Needs to have a strong year and show he can compete with the big boys to get drafted, let alone decide between us and the Suns.

Definitely with Morningside,not playing today of cause away with the AIS.
That's from the Club this morning.

Just having a quick look at the two lists , GC still have a loaded list which has to be reduced but they seem to have around 14 @ 195 and over , the majority are still very young.
Geelong on the other hand , have 11 @194 and over (including Bilcavs) , they seem to be a slightly older group. There would more chances available at Geelong but 7 GC players are 200+. I doubt there will be that many eventually so the numbers will balance up.

The AIS squad played Box Hill seniors in curtain raiser to Carlton Richmond, this is all that is listed for results, doesn't tell us much:

Goals: Box Hill: Hill 4, Cass 2, Schneider 2, Monkhorst, Shiels, Clifford, Frank, Cust, Post

there's some fair AFL pedigree about some of those goal kickers.

Menzel wouldn't be Daniels brother by any chance would it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back