Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is totally kicking the tyres of both clubs and its not a bad thing. To me it shows himself and his camp are serious about both options and it gives both clubs a chance to show there wares.

I would not expect us to dog and pony show it too much - the club speaks for itself. He might notice a bit of an attitude difference however between the leadership groups at GC vs here.

Either way, will be interesting to see how it goes - as long as he ends up here.... ;)

Go Catters

Didn't he do some stuff with GC PreSeason? To me , he looks to be feeling out what both clubs are like. See what its actually like , not just some fantasy he has thought of. Get a taste of playing here, the smell of the place , the conditions , the weather , the people.

And for us the same , see him up close against the other players on our list. Bit easier to judge worth that way.

I think he did a bit of training with the boys over pre-season, but this is nothing to look seriously into. So did Yagmoor, and he was shifted onto the Pies.

The difference with Bourke and Cameron(our other zone selection option), is that they played in the intraclub match before the season started. Suns have got their eyes on him, but like I just mentioned in our own thread, it's hard to see where he fits structure wise in the Suns 22. We already have 3 forwards in Day, Dixon and Lynch.

I think he did a bit of training with the boys over pre-season, but this is nothing to look seriously into. So did Yagmoor, and he was shifted onto the Pies.

The difference with Bourke and Cameron(our other zone selection option), is that they played in the intraclub match before the season started. Suns have got their eyes on him, but like I just mentioned in our own thread, it's hard to see where he fits structure wise in the Suns 22. We already have 3 forwards in Day, Dixon and Lynch.

I am sure you're interested, I just don't see how you fit him on the list. You're going to have to cull at least 7-8 guys just to make room for the mandatory draft picks, I find it hard to see how you will have room for more than one zone player to come in, and surely that would be Cameron (much as I like Bourke, most recruiters would take Cameron first). Unless there's a massive load of guys going out in trade week, I doubt you'll be able to fit Bourke on the list.

I am sure you're interested, I just don't see how you fit him on the list. You're going to have to cull at least 7-8 guys just to make room for the mandatory draft picks, I find it hard to see how you will have room for more than one zone player to come in, and surely that would be Cameron (much as I like Bourke, most recruiters would take Cameron first). Unless there's a massive load of guys going out in trade week, I doubt you'll be able to fit Bourke on the list.

Completely agree. Just cannot see how it would work, unless we did move on a heap of players.

Didn't he do some stuff with GC PreSeason? To me , he looks to be feeling out what both clubs are like. See what its actually like , not just some fantasy he has thought of. Get a taste of playing here, the smell of the place , the conditions , the weather , the people.

And for us the same , see him up close against the other players on our list. Bit easier to judge worth that way.
Pretty much hits the mark.

He's been training with the Suns. Has mates playing with them and lives on the GC. The Suns have the whip hand if they think he's a catch. However it will mean some careful pruning of their list.

Can't blame the kid for keeping his options open and good on the club for giving him the opportunity to strut his stuff.

Cats website reporting the Bourkey has been given permission to play with VFL during the 2nd half of the season.....surely this has to be a good sign that Jordan will be a cat in 2013

Cats website reporting the Bourkey has been given permission to play with VFL during the 2nd half of the season.....surely this has to be a good sign that Jordan will be a cat in 2013

Is this not the same theory that Jed Bews got last year.... worked out pretty well.... just saying....

In the words of Turps... "Jordan Bourke.... Come on down!" s**t.... i just dated myself.....carbon dated that is....

Go Catters

He has played 3 games for the Suns in the NEAFL, and hasnt kicked a goal. He is definately going to have a good look at how both clubs operate. Is he going to be that good?
I honestly havn't seen him play and i've heard both positive and negative feedback.

The one thing i do take into consideration is that tall players develop at a slower pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly havn't seen him play and i've heard both positive and negative feedback.

The one thing i do take into consideration is that tall players develop at a slower pace.

They do at AFL level, but you most of the good ones are dominate at Jnr level. I guess being in Qld and not playing against the best TAC kids for example, makes it hard to get a true gauge on where he is at.

They do at AFL level, but you most of the good ones are dominate at Jnr level. I guess being in Qld and not playing against the best TAC kids for example, makes it hard to get a true gauge on where he is at.
I think (not 100% sure) he kicked 9 goals in half in the champs and from memory had another decent game somewhere along the line. I could be wrong.

I was wondering what thoughts those who saw the Cats V Bendigo game had on Jordan Bourke's game.

I only managed to see him take one good contested mark and kick a goal.

Shame the new FS rule was not in 12 months ago , Tom Couch might have been at the Cattery. Never mind we can hardy complain about FS.
So Bourke basically has the choice of going anywhere he wants if a club wants him enough to trade for him , might just tempt Brisbane. I wonder if the old FS relationship will be enough to go for the Cats , of course his Father did play for Brisbane as well.

I was wondering what thoughts those who saw the Cats V Bendigo game had on Jordan Bourke's game.

I only managed to see him take one good contested mark and kick a goal.

Saw the whole VFL game on Saturday, Jordy did a few nice things kicked two goals looks like he knows where to run to get the footy and takes a decent mark for a 17 year old, would be very exciting to get him in F/S and watch him develop but is prob not worth a 1st round pick.....in this draft

If GC were to bid with a pick in the 1st round we could let him go but if we could get him as a 2nd rounder would take him.

Tom Couch played in the VFL side about 4-5 years ago trying to get drafted but he was a dud.

Jub , im not sure if you are aware of the new FS rule. If a player is past on all within a draft , the FS club can Rookie him with their last Rookie pick.

To my mind he is no different to Sheringham or many other players that have not been taken till their 20's. He is a late maturing player. There have been too many good players picked up like this now for them to be labelled Duds just because they were not ready at 18.

The new rule may not have been appropriate for Couch cause as you said he was not picked several years ago , gone out of the system to SANFL , come back to VFL at Pies and finally has his chance at the Dees.
Good luck to the kid. If he can make a career of it at a bottom club like the Dees , he deserves all the credit that comes his way :thumbsu:

If most clubs do believe it is a super draft this year - reckon the Suns will pass if they need use their first draft. So as long as he picks us to play with - second rounder seems likely to me. Reckon we might take him if this happened.

TBH I don't think this stint in the VFL is about impressing Bourke - it's about the club deciding if he's good enough. Given GC are under pressure for list spots I doubt they'll be pushing hard for him.

Jester would seem to be on the money here. Cats are having a good look at what Bourkey might be able to offer more than anything else.

Spoke to Damian at the ground (and then at the airport on the way back) on Saturday.

His opinion is that the Suns are unlikely to make a huge play for Jordan as they're stocked up with tall kids already.

He believes that the Cats would probably be keen to pick up Jordan late on (a la Jed last year) and see how he goes from there.

Really hope this is how it works out. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back